Justice League_Teen

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Emerald Flame
Paragon
Paragon

Justice League_Teen

Post by Emerald Flame » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:27 am

Greetings one and all....

It is amazing how things can rapidly spring forth... I have been discussing with a friend about our pending campaign launch and we have been playing with ideas. He mentioned starting the game at PL 8-9 and having our characters build up from there. I liked the idea as it will give the characters a chance to develop personalities... not just powers. I was toying with the idea of playing the "Big Boys"... that's right... the Justice League. Kind of like when chocolate and peanut butter got together.. something special happened. :lol:

The idea of playing, what I have started calling Justice-League_Teen, popped into my head. In a nutshell... take the main iconic characters, drop them to PL 8 and then make them in their mid to late teens. Here are the concepts.. (I have to admit that the Batwing idea is slightly borrowed from "Ultimate Batman" and the Green Lantern is roughly based on my boss... He doesn't visit the Think Tank so I think I am safe.)

CONCEPTS:

Superboy Young alien nobleman who is sent to a "primative backwater world" as a form of punishment. His parents felt he needed something to ground him. HOWEVER... when he arrived, he found out that his world had been destroyed and that he was now the only survivor.

Wonder Girl A young princess from the Island of Amazons, Themyscira. She was sent to the "World of Man" as a sort of "wilding" time, so that she cold eventually return to Themyscira and take up the mantle of Queen. She is a princess on her homeland and sometimes forgets that not everybody knows that.

Batwing A young (late teens) millionaire that saw his parents killed by a terrorist attack. Shortly after their deaths, an old friend of his fathers, Alfred contacts him and tells him that his father has a long history of espionage and dealing in secrets... dating back to the formation of the United States and the later in the Civil War, with the Underground Railroad (Mentioned in the movies ;-) ) Bruce convinces Alfred to train him and then using his family's considerable wealth, starts gathering equipment for his revenge on the terrorists that killed his parents. Slowly he realized that revenge was not what he wanted... He wanted Justice.

Green Lantern Hal Jordan is an up and coming Extreme Mountain Biker. People claim that he was born with a bicycle between his legs. (His mother says "NO!!") He is very skilled and virtually fearless. He has bragged that there is not any path/ obstacle he won't ride. One day when on a training ride, he sees a "meteor" crash into the mountains near him. He approaches and find a crashed space craft. The pilot, Abin Sur, gives him a ring and the Green Lantern is born. Hal finds out that there is another Green Lantern that also operates around Earth, Guy Guardner. Guy is a cocky show-boater and doesn't feel he should have to help out newbies... not when the Guardians are calling. Hal discovers that the ring will only give him as much power as he can handle... as he progresses, he will have access to more power.

Aquaboy Next in line for the throne of Atlantis. Arthur journeyed to the surface world to see what it was like. He fell in love with a young girl who was a fisherman's daughter and so decided to stay. Once day he has sworn to return to Atlantis and take his throne.

Flash Barry Allen was the son of a police crime-scene technician Gary Allen. One evening his father was called into work to check on some property that was being tested. Gary had been out and so opted to take his son with him, as he was only going to be a few minutes. Fate had other plans. While Barry was waiting in the science lab, a local street gang decided that they were going to fire-bomb the police station. A stray Molotov cocktail struck the science lab window causing an explosion. Barry was splattered with chemicals and thrown back across the room and into a power panel. What should have killed him didn't and instead he gained super-speed.

If anybody has a suggestion... I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
Last edited by Emerald Flame on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Emerald Flame's 3e Builds
Emerald Flame's 2e Misc. Builds

The ultimate measure of a person is not where they stand in moments of comfort, but where they stand at times of challenge and controversy. -Martin Luther King, Jr.-

DaughterofEchoes
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Justice League_Teen

Post by DaughterofEchoes » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:36 am

It's an interesting take. You should be able to have some fun with it.

But here is waht's missing: Story focus.

How come these guys are hanging out together? Is the idea to focus on their internal relationships, with a metaphor-villain of the week thing going on? Or is about how they overcome the problems caused by their external relationships. What role in the story do they play?

Is Kal-El, dealing with the death of his homeworld or lashing out like the somewhat spoiled noble in his pain?

How is Barry coping with his newfound powers? Who is Bruce going after first? What does Kyle think of being a space-cop? What does Diana do in her spare time?

...I don't suppose you would be kind enough to show me a take on a few of the villains...also in teenage form. Please.

Emerald Flame
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Emerald Flame » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:48 pm

DaughterofEchoes,

My initial post was just a character primer. I have been giving it more thought and I come up with the following.

The team will be formed when a "representative" from JSA (Which are the new "Big Boys") reaches out to these teens and puts forth the idea that they could work together. They are brought together and given their own "base of operations" (ala Young Justice Mountain). An over-seer (I was thinking of an "Agent Coulson"-like character) and a limited budget. They would operate at the mandate of the JSA and could be assigned to missions that the JSA did not want to handle. I was thinking that the operating basis for Young Justice would fit well... except, instead of being a group of sidekicks, they would be up-and-coming heroes.

It might not be the most original idea... but I think that it would work.

As.. starting out at a lower level, I would hope that the players would explore more of their character's personalities and skills... in-stead-of just smashing and blasting things. As the characters develop... get more powerful and gain PL's they would become more fully fleshed out and ready to carry on the mantle of Hero!!!. Eventually, if played long enough, the characters could form their own team... maybe calling it the Justice League ... or something. :wink:

The ultimate measure of a person is not where they stand in moments of comfort, but where they stand at times of challenge and controversy. -Martin Luther King, Jr.-

Superkid
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Superkid » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:46 am

What about the Martian Manhunter as their adult supervisor? His gazillion powers would help him relate to most of the main characters. Strength = Superboy & Wonder Girl. Detective skills = Batman. Shapeshifting = Green Lantern. Telepathy = Aquaboy. Flash is probably the only one he couldn't keep up with.

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Post by King Snarf » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:03 pm

Superkid wrote:What about the Martian Manhunter as their adult supervisor? His gazillion powers would help him relate to most of the main characters. Strength = Superboy & Wonder Girl. Detective skills = Batman. Shapeshifting = Green Lantern. Telepathy = Aquaboy. Flash is probably the only one he couldn't keep up with.
Here's a switch- how about Captain Marvel being the adult?
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

Emerald Flame
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Emerald Flame » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:01 pm

King Snarf wrote:Here's a switch- how about Captain Marvel being the adult?
Now that would be interesting...

As it looks now, this setting is most-likely going to be moth-balled for the near future.

Our latest campaign is still in the planning stages and things are in flux.