Dragonball WIP

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
GothicSilencer
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Dragonball WIP

Post by GothicSilencer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:35 pm

I'm going to run a Dragonball Z game. The setting is already pretty well known to my game group, so instead of trying to cast them/allow them to cast themselves as the heroes of the show, I've decided to do a kind of Dragonball History series. The setting is 1000 years in the past compared to the core DBZ universe, so that people can play just about any race seen in DBZ, without having to worry about questions like "But where'd these Sayains come from after Planet Vegeta was destroyed?"

First of all, I'm using Power Level as shown in the show, but the way you calculate it is thus:
PL = Total PP + Total PP Spent on Powers + (Total Ranks in STR, STA, DEX, AGL, and FGT) + Ranks in Combat Skills (Unarmed, Ranged, ect.) + ((Total of Reflex, Fortitude and Will Save Bonuses) / 2) + Total of Toughness\Dodge\Parry Bonuses) + Total PP Spent on Combat Feats

This means that an individual PP may be counted SEVERAL times (2 pp spent on Enhanced Stamina gets counted as 2 Total PP, 2 PP spent in Powers, 1 STA Rank, 1 Toughness Bonus, and 1 Fort Bonus for a total of +6.5 to Power Level). This is intentional, because when you've spend your points there, you can also extra-effort the power, which means that your in-game power level is higher than someone that bought a full stamina rank (2pp Total, 1 Stamina Rank, 1 Fort Bonus, 1 Toughness Bonus = 4.5 PL). Yes, you are more vulnerable to Nullify, but that power is EXCEEDINGLY rare in the setting, if not non-existent, so that vulnerability doesn't match the benefit of extra effort in this setting.

Basically, I'm just wanting some feedback on what I'm working on for setting, race templates (to follow in next post), game balance, and plot suggestions/feedback.
Last edited by GothicSilencer on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
-Albert Einstein

If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons.
-Winston Churchill

GothicSilencer
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Dragonball WIP

Post by GothicSilencer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:22 pm

So, some races. All powers granted by race templates have the Innate extra at no additional cost. (Note: I'm doing this at work and mostly from memory right now, so I'll edit it when I get home and have access to my notes. The biggest problem I'm having is remembering at what ranks I had these powers at.) Edit: Ranks added once I got access to my notes.

Namek (30pp): Growth 8 (+8 STR, +8 STA, +8 Mass, +4 Intimidate, +2 Size, +1 Speed, -8 Stealth, -4 Dodge, -4 Parry), Enhanced Senses 2 (Extended Hearing and Ultra-Hearing), Namekian Regeneration (Regen 1, Healing 5 (Restorative, Limited to Self), Elongation 1, Ability to perform Namek-type Fusion (not a power in and of itself, but opens up the possibility of keeping up with Sayains and Super-Sayains.)

Frieza's Race (8pp): Immunity 7 (All Suffocation effects and Hot, Cold, Vacuum, High-Pressure, and Radiation)), Additional Limb 1 (Prehensile Tail), ability to learn bodily Transformations (like Namek-Fusion, to keep up with those damned Sayains.)

Sayain (7pp): Additional Limb 1 (Prehensile Tail), Giant Ape Form (Growth 8 (+8 STR, +8 STA, +8 Mass, +4 Intimidate, +2 Size, +1 Speed, -8 Stealth, -4 Dodge, -4 Parry), Description of most powerful Blast-type attack changes to become Mouth Cannon, Power-loss: Requires Prehensile Tail, Forced Transformation (Upon seeing the Full Moon), Character becomes Uncontrolled, Whole Power has Activation 2(Requires a Standard Action to complete the transformation)), gains extra PP when knocked unconscious due to damage (Not priced. I count this like the Namek's access to Namek-fusion.)

Human (0pp): No at-character-creation benefits, however, Humans have less restrictions on the types of effects and descriptors you can work into powers. (For example, if you want something to have the Magic descriptor, or use the Nullify effect, ect. I will be more likely to say yes and work with you to determine how you acquired such skills if you are Human.)

Alien/Mutant/Anthro (Variable pp): At character creation, you may take powers with the Innate extra (at no PP increase for Innate) to design an appropriate Anthro body or Alien/Mutant body/ability. This template's cost equals the cost (still with free Innate) of those powers combined.
Last edited by GothicSilencer on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Albert Einstein

If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons.
-Winston Churchill

GothicSilencer
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Dragonball WIP

Post by GothicSilencer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:37 pm

Ok, a bit about Powers in my setting. First of all, the Alternate Effect extra is only allowed in rare or specific circumstances. There is no "The points of my Kamehameha also pay for my Spirit Bomb, and my Eye Lasers, and my Flight, and my..." because of "good" Alternate Effect management. It doesn't fit the feel of the campaign. Goku had Flight with Super-Speed potentially an Alternate of Flight, Kamehameha, and Ki Sense (He and Piccolo had trained it after witnessing Kami and Master Roshi's ability to sense Ki). Thats it. Not Kamehameha Alternated to 10 different attack powers, but just the Kamehameha itself. Now, later in the show, everyone had like 50 different attacks, but that is a later concern. With 150 PP to work with at character creation, I'm expecting only a couple powers (like above) and Power Levels (based on the earlier formula) of between 300-600. Which would fit Goku and Piccolo at the beginning of DBZ (just over 400 for each of them.)

Second of all, most of the races of the DBZ universe need something more than just their bodies to sense Ki and therefore detect another being's power level. Therefore, at character creation, the PC's have not heard of such an ability (unless that is their "mutant power") and cannot attempt to learn it until they witness it. They will instead rely upon Devices to detect power levels, if they want to buy them with PP. Sayains and Frieza's race (really going to have to come up with a name for them) have scouters, but it is going to be very rare for Humans or Namekians to know ahead of time how powerful an enemy they're about to face, until they have reason to obtain a scouter/invent a device, or reason to train themselves in Ki Sense (Enhanced Sense).

Finally, I wanted to bring back 2 things from 2e Mecha and Manga, or something to their effects: Charge powers and Power Clashes. The way I'm thinking of handling it is by using the Activation flaw, but -1 per 2 or more ranks of the flaw instead of 1-for-1, and saying that each turn of "charging" nets you one or more rank(s) of the power, and you can unleash the power at any time as a reaction. The reason for the "unleash as reaction" is to allow for the power clashes. If we're both sitting here charging, then you release early, I can also release early, in response to you doing so, to initiate a Power Clash.
-Albert Einstein

-Winston Churchill