New Kensington City (low PL dark setting)

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

New Kensington City (low PL dark setting)

Post by Walking Dad » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:35 am

Hi, my current PbP game is sort of an experiment, having a pre-written storyline, but allowing players to fill in and add details. This thread will have hopefully the complete setting at then end and serves for know as a storing reference place for established places, groups, people etc.

---

New Kensingto City
New Kensington is laid out with three distinct rings. At the center is Old Kensington, where the wealthier live, the streets are safer, and injustice happens in court rooms instead of the streets.
Outside this are the eight or nine other districts, depending on how you count. The streets here are more dangerous depending on where you are and what time it is, though all are worse off than Old K.
Running through the city is the _____ River, spanned by many bridges and a few tunnels for the subway train, including but not limited to: the 4th st Bridge, Marks Bridge, and Kasternof or "Cast Off" Bridge.
To the South East the river dumps into the Harbor and Bay areas, dividing East Bay (Better known as The Beach) and West Bay (AKA the Rocks, Stone Bay, or being "On the Rocks", in contrast to the softer shores of the Beach)
The Harbor and Bay areas cut into the donut, ring shape of NK only slightly, making a small crescent shape in the one side of the city's layout. But surrounding the other sides of NK are the suburbs, which grow safer as you travel out from the ghetto like areas of the Districts, also called "The Neighborhood(s)".

Districts
- Twin harbor districts, one is called "the Beach"
- The Narrows
- Wellington, old Irish ghetto area. It's not the worst district in the city, but only on a technicality. The neighborhood is evenly divided between black (both natives and east African immigrants) and white (largely Irish descent), but a few blocks and almost entirely Ecuadoran.
- 7th ward

Places
- Queen of books bookstore in the Narrows, below the Fixer's flat
- Sunrise's apartment in the 12th floor
- Highfield, the biggest park in New Kensington, in the Cs' turf
- Duvalier station
- Church at Park and twelfth with a clock tower with dark, unlit cemetery around back.

Modes of Travel
- monorail and underground highway connect the central district and the suburbs.

Gangs
- The Cs, biggest gang in Wellington
- The Midtown Sharks
- The Garras de Aguilas

Persons
- Frank, homeless camping before the Queen of Books
- Amy, owner of Queen of Books
- Patches, member of the Midtown Sharks
- Hammerhead, leader of the Midtown Sharks
- Jake & Smithie, members of Wellington's roofrunner crew.

Rumors
- "Defense"
Last edited by Walking Dad on Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Re: New Kensington City (low PL dark setting)

Post by Walking Dad » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:36 am

reserved 1

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

reserved 2

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

reserved 3

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Walking Dad » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:37 am

reserved 4

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Annotations for D-Fens: If I'm going to help create a world, I'm going to take it seriously- probably too seriously.

I'll be keeping a list of annotations here:

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 7#p1031723 '7th ward' is a reference to the 7th ring of Hell in Dante's Inferno: "Outer ring: This ring houses the violent against people and property, who are immersed in Phlegethon, a river of boiling blood and fire, to a level commensurate with their sins"

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 7#p1032600 'Duvalier station' is a reference to father and son Haitian dictators Papadoc and Babydoc Duvalier. Both committed heinous crimes of humanity upon their people and used Voodoo as a weapon of terror.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Post by whiteprofit » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Layout (as described in several places; links to follow)
New Kensington is laid out with three distinct rings. At the center is Old Kensington, where the wealthier live, the streets are safer, and injustice happens in court rooms instead of the streets.

Outside this are the eight or nine other districts, depending on how you count. The streets here are more dangerous depending on where you are and what time it is, though all are worse off than Old K.

Running through the city is the _____ River, spanned by many bridges and a few tunnels for the subway train, including but not limited to: the 4th st Bridge, Marks Bridge, and Kasternof or "Cast Off" Bridge.

To the South East the river dumps into the Harbor and Bay areas, dividing East Bay (Better known as The Beach) and West Bay (AKA the Rocks, Stone Bay, or being "On the Rocks", in contrast to the softer shores of the Beach)

The Harbor and Bay areas cut into the donut, ring shape of NK only slightly, making a small crescent shape in the one side of the city's layout. But surrounding the other sides of NK are the suburbs, which grow safer as you travel out from the ghetto like areas of the Districts, also called "The Neighborhood(s)".
Ive compiled district layout information here. Please submit inconsistencies or mistakes, etc as they have been missed. I'm going to collaborate other posts with this tomorrow when I'm on a real computer instead of my phone, updating this post. I'm assuming WD will merge it all into an earlier post he has reserved so he has final say.

I don't think transportation should be in this post. If someone else wants to take that it would be great.
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!