Heroic Villainy At Its Best

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
chaos018
Groupie
Groupie

Heroic Villainy At Its Best

Post by chaos018 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:38 am

Okay, this is my setting (or rather, one forced on me by my player's after they pretty much derailed my Blackest Night scenario by pretty much finding the original blueprints of the BL battery, which in our universe is a more magical based black hole tech, this was the closest I could come to entropic energy based animations, :D ), a setting that is quite interesting.

Sorta based in the DC universe but slightly off, maybe one of the new 52, we'll see, a group of aliens with sector 2814 came to Earth in peace, sending out invitations to each and every flavor of hero around the world to come to the UN or Manhattan. No evidence was found to refute this, even with Batman level skills of investigation, so most, if not, all except and went. After all were assembled on the UN based, the alien beings let loose a blast that quite literally destroyed New England, or at least, the UN with every hero known almost instantly taken out, I will probably make this an antimatter bomb centered close to Superman since even he cannot be immune to this type of explosion. With that done, these beings essentially take over the Earth, but wait, there's more. You see, this setting is not about the heroes that survived and may save the world. It's about who wasn't invited to that meeting.....the super-villains. Yes, them. When this was happening, they were busy trying to do their own thing, either robbing/pillaging or just plain plotting. They are interrupted by this invasion, and after an initial disruption, they get a little organized, perhaps under Lex Luthor (the only one with the charisma and brain to even attempt this), and think to themselves, "WTH?! They waltzed right to our planet, killed our enemies....OUR ENEMIES WHICH WE WERE TO KILL OURSELVES...and try to take a world to which BELONGS TO US?!?! NOPE!!" My players then team up with these guys and give those aliens exactly what's coming to them, maybe the end result being the villains, with the organization they needed, ruling what left of Earth, if there's one at all.

I'm starting them off at PL5, which actually was their idea, basically highly trained individuals with good skills and small amount of devices and powers. As an extra restriction, powers bought cannot exceed past 25pts, meaning you can have as many powers as you want like normal just all that you get CANNOT exceed that maximum, though I do give SOME leeway. This way, they can use the skills and abilities they have in conjunction with the powers they have. What I was hoping from meh buds here, :), was some guidance and direction to take this as well as your opinions and advice<-----just realized this last sentence sounds redundant but still came out that way, lol.

DaughterofEchoes
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Heroic Villainy At Its Best

Post by DaughterofEchoes » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:17 am

Sounds cool, like a DC version of Necessary Evil.

Not sure what kind of advice you are looking for, but I will be watching this.

Still, it seems that you are surgesting that the PCs will 'B' class villains, in a 'post-mindraped, pre-fixed' Doctor Light weight class. If that is the case, I'd ask which heroes they used to 'belong to' and how do they feel about it now the hero is gone.

After all, Batman-Catwoman type relationships will look very different compared to Superman-Luthor type ones.

chaos018
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Heroic Villainy At Its Best

Post by chaos018 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:00 am

advice -wise, something on the level of low PL and how to run them without getting massive TPKs.

As to their PCs, I would say C-listers if that. PL5 is skin-tight on points and powers while B-listers would be something on the PL7 kinda thing. I was using DC as an example simply cuz I know it better than Marvel and if anything, my group will know it came from my mind if I set if somewhere close to there, lol. But could very well use it since many of the foes are known. They are also going the Magic route on powers and such, and even I am scratching my head to think of any magical/mythological/biblical based beings with this descriptor and power. Circe, yea, hot redhead with megalomania I would know, but not many others that would even fit B-listers. To me, I imagine them once being minions that were gifted and had just set out on their own when this happened. Now the villains and the true neutral "heroes" have to save as many people as they can while driving off the invasion just long enough to subjugate the world, which I know they'll do cuz....well, villains know no rules to live by, 'cept a personal code of honor (thinking Shiva, Deathstroke, Red Hood).

I'm new to GMing so keeping up with my group of minmaxing powergamers is hard especially if they get their hands on anything affecting the mind or Diplomacy. This type of low level game is something they'll enjoy, as much as or more than my Blackest Night post apoc scenario. I am pretty sure that there are GMs who have ran lowbie levels campaigns, some may even have been similar in story as this, so any tip would be nice. If no tip, a nice comment is just as handy, :). I'll need the encouragement as I create the generic alien goons to leadership and possibly beyond (thinking Gestalt powerset would come in handy here, lol).