Pokemon Setting

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Route 2

Postby whiteprofit » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Route 2

Terrain:
With quite a bit more traffic than Route 1, this paved road is the main connection from the rest of the world to Ruby Falls. This is mostly in part due to the number of times Route 4, which connects Ruby Falls directly to Gold Creek, floods during the year because of the snow melt. It's not uncommon to see larger delivery trucks passing with supplies along Route 2.

Despite the paved portion of the road, Route 2 is still walker and cyclist friendly with wide shoulders. The route is best explored at night when traffic is low and wild Pokemon are on the prowl.

Events:

Wild Pokemon:
Just as Route 1 and the Green Woods. Less common encounters during the day because of traffic.
Last edited by whiteprofit on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Re: Route 3

Postby whiteprofit » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Route 3

Terrain:
Route 3 Is the second route in the Creek Loop that connects Gold Creek, Red Falls and Ruby Pond. Route 3 Easily has the most traffic among the three, but shares the same forest setting.

Events:
Maddy's Taxi Service

Wild Pokemon:
See Route 1, 2, and Green Woods for details. With higher traffic comes lower encounter rates near the road.
Last edited by whiteprofit on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Re: Event: Spinda Day in a Shiftry

Postby whiteprofit » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:13 pm

Event: Spinda Day in a Shiftry

Summary
A Shiftry appears before the players and are then encouraged, by Timothy Thorne, to pursue in an effort to catch the powerful Pokemon. Giving chase reveals that the Shiftry is being thwarted by the mind altering effects of a Spinda, which has a whole grove of Seedot and Nuzleaf in a confused stupor.

NPCs
Timothy Thorne
Spinda lv 4
Seedot lv 3 (Minion)
Nuzleaf lv 4 (Minion)
Shiftry lv 6

Opening
Without warning, a large Shiftry descends from a tree and lands in front of the group. It waits until the group moves to attack or defend it, and then takes off into the woods.
Shiftry
Power Level 6; Power Points 90/90
Grass/Dark Type: Cost 5 Points
(Vulnerability: Fighting, Flying, Poison, Bug, Ice, Fire. Resist: Ground, Ghost, Water, Grass, Electric, Dark. Immunity: Psychic.)

The players can leave, engage, or chase after the Shiftry, but the end result is the same with the Shiftry bounding up into the trees and staying well ahead of the group, yet always in sight. Award Hero Points when players might have stopped the Shiftry and are trumped by a GM Fiated escape that keeps the Shiftry just out of reach from attacks and full engagement.

During or Before the Chase
Timothy: "Woah! Did you see that thing?! We have to go after it."

Timothy: "With a Pokemon like that, I'd be certain to win against the [next gym] without a problem."

Timothy: "I bet we can take on something like that together. Did you see how it ran from us?"

Timothy: "I want to catch it. Whoever helps me find it can have one of the Great Balls my father sent."

Following
The players can follow the Shiftry anyway that works, tracking with a Survival check of DC 15 or using a pokemon's senses. Wandering aimlessly is also an option for ill equipped Trainers, as the Shiftry will appear enough to guide them where it wants them to go, though this should not be apparent at first.

The group follows the Shiftry to a large set of trees full of Seedot hanging from the branches. In the center of the small grove, stands a small bear like Pokemon with swirly styled markings on it.

Characters entering the vicinity of the trees and seeing the Spinda must make a Will Save DC 14. Those that fail suffer the effects of Nauseate rank 4.

Spinda
Power Level 4; Power Points 60/60
Normal Type: Cost 3 points
(Vulnerability: Fighting. Immunity: Ghost)

Teeter Dance (Linked Deflect 4 & Confuse 4)
Alternate: Teeter Dance (Area Nauseate 4)
Dizzy Punch (Linked Strike 4 & Confuse 4)

Timothy: "Woah, what is that thing?"
PokeDex: "Spinda, the Dizzy Pokemon. Spinda have the odd habit of staggering around when they walk. This makes them appear dizzy, but they are not. The teetering walk helps to confuse enemies and potential predators, messing up their aim."
Timothy: "Right now, it's messing up my lunch." Timothy closes his eyes to help orient himself.

Battle
As the group takes in the new information, and begin to take actions, the Seedot in the tree will fall as the Spinda spins faster on the ground. This acts as an area attack of damage DC 19 with a reflex save of 14. (A successful reflex halves the damage to DC 17) On the following turn, the fallen Seedot will attack the players.
Seedot
Power Level 3; Power Points 45/45
Grass Type: Grants 2 points
(Vulnerability: Bug, Fire, Flying, Ice, Poison. Resist: Electric, Grass, Ground, Water)

Timothy: "There are so many of the little ones! I have to get that Shiftry though.. Do you think it will fight us if we stop that Spinda?"

Under the Hood: This battle is against the Spinda, which uses the Seedot as minions to keep the trainers at bay. Each round it can, it will use this wide area attack to drop more confused Seedot to the ground equal to the number of players.

Upon being attacked, Spinda will alternate with Teeter Dance and Dizzy Punch on it's attacker.

After taking two more more bruises, or any other damage effects (stunned or worse), Spinda will summon Nuzleaf as well from the trees, replacing every other Seedot.
Nuzleaf
Grass/Dark Type: Cost 5 Points
(Vulnerability: Fighting, Flying, Poison, Bug, Ice, Fire. Resist: Ground, Ghost, Water, Grass, Electric, Dark. Immunity: Psychic.)

Players must defeat the Spinda in order to collect the power point reward from this side quest. Arguably, the best way to do this is to gang up on the Spinda to force it to dodge, deflect, and block attacks rather than rain down more minions.

Once defeated the Spinda will either runaway or be captured, releasing the Seedot and Nuzleaf from it's effect.

After the Battle
Shiftry seems to address the group, nodding to them before returning the fallen Seedot to the branches.

Timothy: I think... I think this Shiftry is their protector. I don't know if I could really try to take him away from them.. I don't think it would be right.
Nuzleaf: "Nuz, NUZleaf!!" A wild Nuzleaf approaches the group and seems to challenge Timothy and his starter pokemon.
As appropriate, the GM should short hand this battle, adding Nuzleaf to Timothy's team.

Closing
Timothy: "Wow, what an incredible journey. Thanks everyone for helping me. I know I didn't actually get to catch the Shiftry, but as promised, here are those Great Balls I offered you."
Each Player is rewarded a Great Ball and 1pp for completing this side Quest as well as 1pp they can allocate to any 1 pokemon deemed to have done the most by the Player and the GM.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Re: Event: Maddy's Taxi Service

Postby whiteprofit » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:46 pm

Event: Maddy's Taxi Service

Summary
The Players can choose to take the Taxi service along Route 3, or even back along Route 2 if they choose to do so for any reason. Halfway to their destination, however, the car gives out and the group is caught on the side of the road for the night.

Pre-Event
Upon entering Red Falls, players may notice several advertisements for Maddy's Taxi Service, "Connecting you to the Creek Loop." upon inquiry, the group will get several mixed messages about the quality and reliability of the company.

Opening
As the players leave Red Falls, they encounter the woman from the advertisements, Maddy herself. Maddy asks them where they are going, if they don't address her first, using the NPC Timothy Thorn if needed.

Maddy: "Hello there! My name is Maddy, are you all headed to Gold Creek?"
Timothy: "Actually, yeah, we are. Are you the girl from the advertisements?"
Maddy: "Why, yes I am! I'm glad you saw them. Would you be interested in a taxi ride? I've got the best rates in town."

Maddy negotiates a fair price for passage to Gold Creek from Red Falls.

Upon entering the Taxi, it makes a terrible coughing sound when starting it up.

Timothy: "That doesn't sound so good.."
Maddy: "Oh, don't worry about that. It makes that sound all the time. She'll be fine." Maddy's smile is reassuring and gives no reason to believe she doesn't believe this to be true.

Sputtering
The Group is about halfway to Gold Creek when the Taxi again sputters and coughs and smoke rises out of the hood. Maddy pulls the car over quickly and pops the hood. Inside, everything is a mess and it becomes clear, even to those with no experience with cars, that they are stranded here.

At this time GMs can introduce a wild pokemon encounter that the players are looking for, another of the events such as "Hive Five" or "Spinda day in a Shiftry", or require them to finish the rest of the trek on foot.

Closing
Maddy: "This is so embarrassing. I'm so sorry! Let me call for a replacement car."
Timothy: "What does everyone think we should do? Wait or hoof it?"
Maddy: "Listen, you all, I'm so sorry. I'll give you all free rides from now on around the loop. You ever need a ride, you just let me know! Please don't tell anyone about this!"

After embarking on this journey with Maddy, player characters are able to use the Taxi Service in the future (If they are willing) for free, allowing them to get from Gold Creek to Red Falls and Ruby Pond in very little game time for free.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Gym Leader Henry

Postby whiteprofit » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:46 pm

Gym Leader Henry
Height: 5'10"
Eye Color: Dark
Hair: Blue/Black

Bio
Henry runs the Ground Type Gym in Fjord City. He is a strong leader in his early mid twenties. Henry graduated from a small Pokemon Academy and was awarded high honors when he was 18, and then went in search of an opening at a Gym. Within the year he had found Fjord City and won the title, proving himself as a trainer and having ample ability to combat the toughest of challengers.

Pokemon
Baltoy
Ground/Psychic Type: Cost 1 Point
(Vulnerability: Bug, Dark, Ghost, Ice, Grass, Water. Resist: Poison, Rock, Fighting, Psychic. Immunity: Electric)
Burrowing (Dig)
Psybeam

Excadrill
Ground/Steel Type: Cost 20 Points
(Vulnerability: Fighting, Fire, Ground, Water. Resist: Bug, Dark, Dragon, Flying, Ghost, Normal, Psychic, Rock, Steel. Immunity: Poison, Electric)
Burrowing
Metal Claw
Bulldoze

Marowak
Ground Type: Cost 3 Points
(Vulnerability: Ice, Grass, Water. Resist: Poison, Rock. Immunity: Electric)
Bonemerang
Bone Rush
Thrash/Slam
Skull Bash
Last edited by whiteprofit on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Re: Event: Hive Five

Postby whiteprofit » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:14 pm

Event: Hive Five

Summary
This is a side adventure that is caused by two Teddiursa cubs aggravating hives of Bee Pokemon, preventing the group from passing on a route normally. This event is kind of like "Spinda Day in a Shiftry" and may need to be edited, modified, or played long after the other to avoid a repeated experience. All of course depends on how the events played out, what Pokemon they are trying to catch, etc.

This could be used in combination with Maddy's Taxi Service, following the group getting stuck in the woods.

NPCs
Beedrill lv 4
Combee lv 2
Vespiquen lv 6
Teddiursa lv 4
Ursaring lv 6

Opening
The group is journeying through a part of the Green Woods, probably along Route 1, 2, or 3, when a DC 10 notice check reveals to the group that a swarm of Beedrill are in their way.
Beedrill
Bug/Poison Type: No Cost
(Vulnerability: Flying, Rock, Fire, Psychic. Resist: Fighting, Poision, Bug, Grass)

Aided with a PokeDex, they can discover that the Beedrill are riled up for some reason and attacking anyone that seems threatening in the area.

The group can attempt one of three options.
1. Go around, using up time, and possibly getting them lost as they leave the trail. This would side step the event and should cost the players something for choosing not to adventure.
2. The second thing they can try to do is sneak past the Beedrill. This is a DC 20 check that will allow the players to get past without hindrance.
3. Option three is fight everything in sight and try to blast through the Beedrill. In this option, the Beedrill number in the amount of players and 'respawn' ten turns (one minute) after one drops.

The second and third options both reveal a second problem. As the group battles or passes undiscovered through the area, they notice a hive of Combee's are also agitated and being tormented by two young Teddiursa cubs. The honey eating brothers are shrugging off the bee stings and happily enjoying the honey the bees have made.
Combee
Bug/Flying Type: Cost 1 points
(Vulnerability: Fire, Electric, Rock, Flying, Ice. Resist: Fighting, Bug, Grass. Immunity: Ground)

Teddiursa
Power Level 3; Power Points 90/90

Battle
If the players try to battle the Teddiursa, for capture or to scare them off, the Combees and Beedrill will leave the players alone.

The Teddiursa are young and easily scared off, though stubborn for the honey. They will climb trees to get away from attacks, but will return as soon as the group leaves. If unable to get away, they will use their physical attacks to bat off melee fighters. If either is injured beyond two bruises or suffer a status effect, the will begin crying for their mother, Ursaring.

Ursaring arrives within five turns or less after a Teddiursa begins crying, ready to defend her young. She can be scared off but will leave only as soon as her kids are safe or captured. Ursaring is not capturable.
Ursaring
Power Level 6; Power Points 90/90

If the brothers are captured, the Ursaring will sniff over the trainer and 'give a blessing' if she deems them worthy.

Players may choose to capture or battle the other wild Pokemon. Doing so results in being swarmed if the intention is to just KO them all. If the players goal is to capture the Pokemon, the battle works normally in a one on one battle.

Vespiquen appears to drive off attackers if they do not . If captured, a female combee evolves to take her place for the hive.
Vespiquen
Bug/Flying Type: Cost 1 points
(Vulnerability: Fire, Electric, Rock, Flying, Ice. Resist: Fighting, Bug, Grass. Immunity: Ground)

Closing
After dispersing the Teddiursa and defeating any angry bee Pokemon, the group is able to pass as they normally would and continue their trek through the area.

If run instead of "Spinda Day in a Shiftry", Timothy should catch a Combee or a Beedrill, instead of the Nuzleaf, to fill his party. It may be wise to use this instead of "Spinda Day" if Timothy's starter is a grass type, to avoid a double grass team, unless of course the GM chooses to make him a Grass Type Trainer.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Re: Event: 1st Wild Pokemon Encounter

Postby whiteprofit » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:11 pm

Event: 1st Wild Pokemon Encounter

Summary
The player(s) encounter their first wild Pokemon and get to battle it. Catching it can be a story element with one of the NPCs taking it, a new member of a player's team, or a capture and release test for game play. GM discretion warranted.
Under the Hood: Players may or may not wish to keep this first seen Pokemon. The purpose is to let players see how the capturing system works in M+M for this campaign, and if that is achieved, the fate of the captured Pokemon can be as determined by the group.

If the capture system is understood and players have no further questions on battling from the battle in "Getting a Starter Pokemon", this may be a skippable event due to the repeated nature of it.

NPCs
Timothy Thorn
Professor Aspen*Optional

Opening
The group readies and leaves Brook Town and Timothy Thorn joins them.

Timothy: "Hey, sorry I'm late. Have you seen any wild Pokemon yet? I'm eager to try catching one."
Professor Aspen*: "I'm glad I caught you here. In the excitement of that battle, I had forgotten to show you how to capture a Pokemon."
Timothy: "Woah, look! It's a [Rattata/Zigzagoon/Patrat/Sentret/Bidoof]! I bet you can catch it!"
Professor Aspen*: "That's a great idea. First, you'll need to weaken it by battling it with your own Pokemon."

Battle
The battle should start with a wild pokemon appearing for any number or reasons. Like a squirrel in a tree or a bird chasing after food, this opening scene can be as creative or as boring as you want. If the player has no interest in catching the pokemon, doing it for the sake of practice may be warrented, to get used to the snare function on the Pokeball, if using the Capturing Rules outlined in this thread.
The battle can be against almost any, low level, Rattatta or Pidgey like Pokemon. Little bugs also work

Closing
Timothy: "That was great. I can't wait for an opportunity to catch something too."

Alternate Timothy or Professor Aspen*: "Great job. If you're not going to train it though, you should probably let it go. No need to waste the Pokeball or keep him locked up in there for no reason."

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Re: Event: Enter Team Rocket

Postby whiteprofit » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:56 pm

Event: Enter Team Rocket

Gold Creek Jewelry Store and Gold Creek Town

Summary
The group has been in Gold Creek for a short time and may have met Benji, the gym leader. They are interrupted in what they are doing by the robbery of the Gold Creek Jewelry Store. The players discover that Team Rocket is behind this and are able to try and stop them from escaping.

Opening
During the groups stay in Gold Creek, this event should interrupt something they are doing. The following dialogue starts after the players have met Benji, the gym leader, for the first time.

Bystander: "Benji! We need your help! Someone is robbing the Jewelry Store and the cops have been overwhelmed!"
Benji: "What? I'm on my way! Sorry everyone, I have to help with this. You should probably stay here where it's safe." Benji rises from the table and exits.

Following Benji outside, he summons a Skarmory and climbs on it's back. Leaping into the air, the Skarmory screeches with a metallic craw and races over buildings toward billowing smoke.

The group can follow, using the streets. As they near, and can see the Jewelry Store up ahead, they run into a group of three people in dark clothing with large 'R's on the front, carrying bags over their shoulder. They go unnoticed by the police and Benji, who is trying to clear the smoke from the front of the Jewelry Store. A DC 5 perception or sense motive gives the players the idea that these characters are up to no good.

If anyone in the group successfully notices the Team Rocket members and they move to stop them, a chase will commence.

Grunt: "Mind your own business kid."

When the group attacks or continues to follow:
Grunt: "Take my bag, I'll teach these little kids a lesson. Koffing! Use Smoke Screen!!"
Koffing
Poison Type: Cost 4 points
(Vulnerability: Ground, Psychic. Resist: Bug, Fighting, Poison, Grass)

Battle
The Grunt will use Koffing to create a barrier of smoke that grants concealment from most vision. It will then attempt to poison and suffocate the group's Pokemon to prevent their progress in stopping the other two Team Rocket Members.

Koffing and the Grunt will attempt to prevent the group from splitting up by positioning themselves, and the smokey wall, to stop progress, however there are only two of them.

Following the other two members down the street is a DC 10 Notice Check within the first five rounds of this encounter, and raises by +2 for every 2 rounds after the first five. So after one minute, or 10 rounds of combat, it's a DC 14 Notice check to pick up the trail of the other two rocket members.

The Chase
If the players are able to catch up to the other two Rockets, they will be noticed.

Rex: "We've got company."
Miasa: "I knew that guy was worthless."
Rex: "We should try to ditch them, Miasa, don't you think."
Miasa: "Split up. Meet you at the rendezvous."

The two split up, heading down opposite sides of the same street. The male, Rex, cuts into an alley way while Miasa, the girl, slips into a building.

Rex
Following Rex leads pursuants into an alleyway between two small, brick buildings. At the end, is a dead end, however there is a fire escape and a dumpster in the area to provide some height.

Rex gets his back to the wall and then turns and waits for the team to come in after him. A wicked smile flashes at the same time his pokeball does, sending out a mean looking Primeape.
Primeape
Fighting Type: Cost 2 points
(Vulnerability: Flying, Psychic. Resist: Bug, Dark, Rock)

Initiative is rolled and on their turn, Primeape and Rex both launch themselves at the players. Rex makes an acrobatics check to get on top of the dumpster (DC 15) and Primeape attacks with the most appropriate move to what they are facing.

Once Rex is on top of the dumpster, he will send out Absol as well, to the players back.
Absol
Dark Type: Cost 5 Points
(Vulnerability: Bug, Fighting. Resist: Dark, Ghost. Immunity: Psychic)

The battle lasts long enough for Rex to escape, using the fire escape on the side of the building. He will recall his Pokemon either by having them follow, or by recalling them to their Pokeballs.

Award a GM Fiat hero point when Rex gets away, if the team is doing well.

Miasa
Players that follow the female Rocket member into the building are greeted by a cloud of poison powder when they enter the room, produced by a sinister looking Gloom.
Gloom
Grass/Poison Type: No Cost
(Vulnerability: Fire, Flying, Ice, Psychic. Resist: Fighting, Grass, Electric, Water)

Miasa is out of sight as the group enters, and Gloom releases Poison Powder the moment they arrive. As a cloud, this save needs to be made for two consecutive rounds. Similarly, so does Petal Dance, which will alternate with Poison Powder, requiring two saves (A Fort and a Toughness) each round.

If the group can make it inside the door, they will be attacked by Seviper who is hiding behind a book shelf to make a sneak attack. The opposing Notice and stealth checks decide whether the target players are flat-footed or not.
Seviper
Poison Type: Cost 4 Points

Miasa will slip out the back of the small bookstore, knocking over a shelf that prevents the group from following and then locking the door behind her. Her Pokemon retreat into their balls as well at the last minute.

Award appropriate GM Fiat hero points for Miasa's escape, if the group is faring well.

At the Cross Street
The players are able to make a DC 15 notice check to find Rex and Miasa again.

Rex: "I thought you lost them."
Miasa: "Those are yours, Rex."
Rex: "Either way, we can't have them following us."
Miasa: "Yeah, the boss will be mad if we bring back any lost puppies. Let's take them out for good."
Rex: "I was hoping you'd say that."

Battle Two
Rex and Miasa turn on the group and attack with Seviper (Miasa) and Absol (Rex). Their attacks are powered with Power Attack if possible, though working together, either can guard for the other while they attack to give most potency depending on the player's Pokemon types.

Conclusion
Miasa and Rex get away, though if the group feints either of the Rocket Pokemon (Absol and Seviper) they drop their stolen goods to get away, using smoke and mirrors (GM Fiat).

Arriving after the battle, Benji addresses the players.
Benji: "Thank you for your help. You showed excellent skill in battling them, and it is clear your Pokemon trust you. I will look forward to our battle in the treetops when you come for the Wind Badge."

If the Bag of Jewels is obtained, the Jeweler gives the trainers a reward.
Jeweler: "Thank you for stopping those crooks from taking all my jewelry. As thanks, I want you to take this piece of jewelry I made a long time ago."

(Jewel initiates the side event "The Hauntered Necklace")

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Re: Rex and Miasa

Postby whiteprofit » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:45 am

Rex and Miasa

The first two, named, Rocket members, making their debut in "Enter Team Rocket". These two are sly and furious and rising in the ranks of Team Rocket faster than others at their young age. They seem to be very close, yet their relationship status is unknown.

Rex
Height: 5'10"
Hair: Short, Dark
Eye Color: Red/Brown

Rex is dry and cynical in nature. He rarely shows any emotion other than sarcasm and anger, unless it's laughing at someone's expense. He's not a nice guy and his ruthless attack style has allowed him to gain ranks in Team Rocket very quickly.

He works closely and often with Miasa, though is very capable of running missions on his own. Their relationship is yet undefined.

Rex
High Stealth
High Deception
High Dex and Cha
All-out Attack, Power Attack, Sneak Attack

Pokemon
Primeape
Fighting Type: Cost 2 points
(Vulnerability: Flying, Psychic. Resist: Bug, Dark, Rock)
High Str and Con
Fury Swipes
Mega Punch
Dynamic Punch
Thrash

Absol
Dark Type: Cost 5 Points
(Vulnerability: Bug, Fighting. Resist: Dark, Ghost. Immunity: Psychic)
High Dex and Atk Bonus
Night Slash
Razor Wind
Psycho Cut

Miasa
Height: 5'6"
Hair: Black
Eye Color: Steel Blue

Miasa is characterized by the words cold and vicious. Her words are as poisonous as her Pokemon's attacks and she can intimidate with a glare. Her sly and cunning nature have helped her progress in the ranks of Team Rocket quickly, along with her partner Rex.

Miasa likes to lay traps and challenges players with Poisonous attacks that knock her enemies out within a few rounds.

Miasa
High Cha and Dex
High Intimidate and Deception
Taunt, Set-Up

Pokemon
Seviper
Poison Type: Cost 4 Points
High Dex and Con
Poison Tail (linked Nauseate)
Glare (paralyze)
Night Slash (improved Crit 2)

Gloom
Grass/Poison Type: No Cost
(Vulnerability: Fire, Flying, Ice, Psychic. Resist: Fighting, Grass, Electric, Water)
High Fort
Toxic (trade +save/-Atk bonus)
Poison Powder (area cloud)
Acid
Petal Dance (area cloud)

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Re: Ruby Pond Coal Mines

Postby whiteprofit » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:11 pm

The Ruby Pond Coal Mines
Located just north of Ruby Pond in the lower regions of the Platinum Mountains

The Layout
Tunnel 1
The first tunnel is a well supported mine shaft that seems to have existed before the mines and leads to the Cathedral and Rock Garden. There are small paths leading off from each of these rooms but none that really lead anywhere.

The Cathedral
    a large, open, room-like cavern that is marked "The Cathedral" by an old sign. It's name seems to come from the high ceiling and tall pillar like structures that litter the room. This is the largest of all the rooms players have immediate access to and is a good place to encounter larger Pokemon like Onix or charging ones like Aron and Rhyhorn. The high ceilings could also have bat or other flying, cave pokemon.

Rock Garden
    The Rock Garden is a room a bit smaller than the Cathedral, yet full of stalactites and stalagmites that reach up and down for each other. They look like they will one day form into a similar pattern as those in the Cathedral. Hanging in the ceiling the group can see Zubat and/or Woobat. This is also a good location to encounter a Geodude or Roggenrola.
Tunnel 2/Miner's Pond
The second mine shaft is larger than the other two and descends steeper as well, though is also very short in length. It leads to a small, underground pond. This looks like it was once a well trafficked area, and was likely used as a water source for the original miners. The water can be swam in and dove into with the proper equipment and desire. Searching the water's bottoms reveals Pokemon like Chinchou if applicable and Wooper or Quagsire (or other Ground/Water Pokemon as applicable). It could be assumed or expressed that this is where Zeke found his own Chinchou he is said to have.

Tunnel 3/The Mine Shafts
The third tunnel leads to the actual mine shafts and is blocked and marked over with several boards and spray painted warnings that stress the danger of the tunnel. It seems to slant down at a gradual pace, yet feels more carved than the other two. After several hundred yards, the path begins to split into many directions. The tunnels are a labyrinth that extends deeper into the ground and seems to be where the majority of the mining and digging took place when the mines were active. The Mine Shafts have tunneling Pokemon in them like Diglet and Drilbur.

Mechanics of The Mine Shafts
A DC 15 notice or search check notes that some of the digging looks fresher than others.

Every twenty minutes in the tunnel should require an unseen, GM rolled check to see if the player's presence causes a collapse in the tunnel preventing them from returning the way they came or continuing the way they were going.

The first check is a d20 roll of DC 5.

The DC increases by 1 for every 10 minutes spent in the mines, every time the group digs for something, trips on or knocks into a support, or a wild Pokemon burrows near the group.
So after thirty minues in the mines (+3), the group has dug up 5 items (+5), and knocked into a support beam once (+1). The check is made again as they are exiting, with a DC of 14.

If the save fails, a tunnel collapses behind or before the group. behind prevents the group from leaving and increases the Search Check to leave by 5 and Before prevents further progress in that tunnel, requiring 10 minutes to backtrack to a new tunnel (increasing the chances of another tunnel collapse by 1).

A party member may use an applicable sense to look for lost items, Pokemon, or minerals/ores to sell with a DC 20 check. Each attempt at finding something means walking further into the maze, increasing the DC to get out (see below) by 1.

When the group is ready to leave, they must make a DC 10 Search check to travel out of the mines.
For any attempt at searching the mines for Pokemon or lost treasures, the DC increases by 1, to get out.
For every 10 minutes the group has been wandering it increases by 1.
And for every tunnel that has collapsed behind the group, the DC increases by 5.
Any previous attempts to get out subtract 2 from the DC, but costs 10 more minutes of time in the mines. (+1 to collapse and +1 to search)

Under the Hood: Putting it all together
A group enters the mines and spends twenty minutes searching for treasure (+2 search/+2 collapse); In this time, they make five checks to look for things of value (+5 search) and dig up 3 (+3 collapse); The tunnel collapsed behind them once, when the GM's roll fell below the DC 10 collapse check (5+2+3) which adds (+5 search). Now the group attempts to leave, making a DC 22 search check (10+2+5+5) to get out. (Apply any bonuses to the check for having Pokemon or Gear that helps navigate below ground (burrowing, a map, or sonar of some kind))

If the group fails the DC 22 check, it takes 10 minutes before they can try again (+1search/+1collapse) but grants a bonus to figuring it out (-2 search), making the second save DC 21, but the collapsing tunnels DC 11.

Events
Minors in the Mine
Last edited by whiteprofit on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Re: Event: Minors in the Mine

Postby whiteprofit » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:21 am

Event: Minors in the Mine

Summary
The party goes into the mines after meeting the infamous "Miner Gang" or "Minor Gang" depending on who they talk to. Upon exploring the caves, the group gets stuck when a burrowing [Onix] (insert any digging Ground Type Pokemon the group is interested in capturing) crosses their path and caves the tunnel in. The party is rescued by the Minor Gang and then challenged to battle to decide if they are strong enough to capture the [Onix].
Under the Hood: This event is a lead up to capturing a cave dwelling or ground type Pokemon that the player may be interested in. Where ever [Onix] appears, this can be replaced with any other ground or burrowing Pokemon that could cause micheif. Change descriptive words to match the change as well.

If this is not something the players are interested in, like the Huntered Necklace Event, it may be skipped or only played in partial completion, ending with the battle and never going after the [Onix]. Dialogue should be altered to show this as well, with the Minor Gang challenging the group to prove they are strong enough to be worth saving, or something along those lines.

NPCs
Mike - Baltoy and Drilbur
Sandra - Sandshrew and Zubat
Derk - Rhyhorn

Opening
The party should be able to hear talk from locals and NPCs about the Mine Gang that has taken up residence in the Ruby Pond Coal Mines. They are known for being mischievous, though no one can really tell the group what they've done specifically. Most of their information comes from what others have told them, never first hand experience.

If the group tries to enter the mines or meet the group, they are met by the trio: Sandra, Mike and Derk at the entrance.

Mike: "Hey. What are you doing around here?"
Sandra: "You shouldn't be trying to get into the mines. They're dangerous."

Mike: "We know these mines really well. And we don't go down there very often."

Derk: "There's a difference between us and you. We've been using these mines for years. They're like our second home."
Mike: "It's not uncommon for tunnels to collapse down there. If you're not prepared, you won't be able to survive if something like that happens."

Derk: "Don't say we didn't warn you."

Sandra: "You should really listen to us."

The miners will listen and are persuadable, starting out at a neutral diplomatic position, though having a-2 mod for being wary and skeptical of the strangers, or -5 if players are abrasive in their first meeting/dialogue.

The Danger Tunnel
If the group goes into the mine shafts (Tunnel 3 - See The Ruby Pond Coal Mines for a description of the layout) despite the warnings over the tunnel option and without getting help from the Miner Gang, they will enter and follow the same rules laid out in the Ruby Pond Coal Mines post with one exception: Before the group can leave, they WILL have a tunnel collapse behind them with a dead end in front of them. (GM Fiat if necessary) This will be due to the appearance of a player desired Pokemon or the default Onix, if not intended for capture.

GM: "A large rumble fills your ears and rattles the ground beneath. Before anyone can react or take action, the trembling sound bursts through the wall behind you, roaring as it goes. Anyone turning sees a giant, moving wall of rocks plow through from one side, digging into the other wall and then disappearing. Once the damage is done and the moving shape disappears, the tunnel is too weak to support itself and collapses. The group is now stuck."
Most players will be trapped by this, unless they have a Pokemon that can dig with Burrowing or some other power. After struggling for a short time, the tunnel begins to clear and Mike, Sandra, and Derk appear.

GM: "After a while, a smaller digging noise can be heard from the otherside of the collapsed tunnel. it's much less powerful than the roaring sound the creature before left behind, but still seems to be making progress. After a short time, the head of a little mole pops through."

Drilbur: "Dril, Drilbur!"
Mike: "Good job, Drilbur. Now widen that tunnel enough for them to crawl through."
Drilbur: "Dril, dril!"

The Drilbur continues to dig with it's claws, widening a hole in the debris that the players can crawl through on their hands and knees. On the other side, they see Mike, Sandra, and Derk.

Sandra: "We told you not to come down here."
Mike: "It's too dangerous."
Sandra: "You're lucky we followed you. You would have been stuck down here forever."

Derk: "That thing? That thing was an [Onix]. Or at least as best as we can tell.
Mike: "And that [Onix] has been tearing up the tunnels down here for some time now. A real pain in the butt."
Sandra: "We had hoped to stop it, but none of us are strong enough to battle it. It's too fast and strong.."

Mike: "What about you, hot shot? You think you could battle it?" OR "You think you can beat it? What do you think Derk?"
Derk: "I don't know, they don't look like they can handle it..."
Mike: "Probably not. I bet they can't even defeat us."
Derk: "Only one way to figure that out."
Sandra: "Boys, this is unnecessary..."
Mike: "If they can beat us, maybe they can beat that [Onix]."
Derk: "Plus, this will be fun."

Battle
Derk and Mike will fight against the players in a two on two battle. Derk uses Rhyhorn to fight defensively while Mike uses Baltoy to dig and fire psychic and ground attacks at the group, hiding in the walls with burrow (dig). Mike will use Drilbur instead if it makes more sense for type advantage.
Rhyhorn
Ground/Rock Type: Cost 3 Points
(Vulnerability: Fighting, Ground, Steel, Water, Grass, Ice. Resist: Normal, Flying, Poison, Rock, Fire. Immunity: Electric)
Trade Tough for Defense
High Fort
Defensive Attack and Power Attack
Impervious Toughness 3 or 4
Baltoy
Ground/Psychic Type: Cost 1 Point
(Vulnerability: Bug, Dark, Ghost, Ice, Grass, Water. Resist: Poison, Rock, Fighting, Psychic. Immunity: Electric)
Burrowing (Dig)
Psybeam

Mike: "Wow, I guess we were wrong about you. Maybe you do have what it takes."
Sandra: "If you help us, we can pay you pretty well."
Mike: "Sandra!"
Sandra: "Well, we can. And we'll let you keep the Onix if you want. IF you can catch it."
Derk: "I'll believe THAT when I see it."
Sandra: "Come with us. We'll take you back to our base so you can rest and we can come up with a plan."

HQ
The miners have built a small Head Quarters that acts as their 'clubhouse' of sorts. They collect things here, hang out here, and use this space as a base of 'operations'. Some rare looking ores and oddities can be found scattered on tables and on crudely made shelves, some looking of more value than others.
If looking for the HQ without Sandra, Mike, or Derk with them, it takes a DC 20 search check to find it and must be known to exist before being able to locate it.

Returning to the HQ resets the total time in the mines and gives a +5 bonus to the search check required to leave.

This ends the event "Minors in the Mine" and leads into the event "Mining for [Onix]"
Last edited by whiteprofit on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Re: Event: The Hauntered Necklace

Postby whiteprofit » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:43 pm

Event: The Hauntered Necklace

Summary
After receiving a golden necklace from te Gold Creek Jeweler, the players begin to notice strange occurrences and eventually that the artifact is haunted. The group can choose to exercise the item, freeing the spirit (or capturing it in a pokeball) or to return it to the jeweler. The end of the event invites players to delve deeper into the realm of ghost Pokemon as an introduction to two more side quests.
Under the Hood: This side event is the fret of a series for ghost enthusiasts and those interested in the afterlife of Pokemon. This being the first of three or more events that involve ghost types and more scary settings. If it deviates from the groups intentions or is not interesting to the players, it should be ignored or limited to the short version of this event which ends after the jewel is returned to the jeweler and traded for a gold Pokeball.

NPCs
The Gold Creek Jeweler
The Fortune Teller
Haunter PL 4

Opening
Two to three times a day, players should be forced to reroll a successful roll and be forced to take the worse results, with little explanation why. Wording should be to the effect of: "You feel a wave of insecurity as you perform this action and need to re-roll" or "Due to bad luck, you are forced to re-roll that and take the worse result."

Other instances of bad luck can be Pokemon running away seeming to be "spooked by something before the party can approach" or people feeling/acting weird around them.

The necklace should most commonly effect the player (trainer and pokemon) that is in 'possession' of the necklace. AKA, whoever is holding it or closest to it.

Players will likely want to make a notice check and the DC for this perception based check is 20 with a +2 if there are other events going on (a battle) and/or a +5 if the necklace is out of sight (in a backpack).

On a successful check, the players will be clued in on what is happening.
A notice check that has two degrees of success is told that the necklace glowed at the time the reroll was required.
NPCs that don't make the check should be skeptical of the necklace causing problems.

Discovery
This will continue until it becomes increasingly obvious that the necklace is causing the mischief. For each day the group has the necklace, the DC 20 notice check will drop by 2 points, but keeping the circumstantial +2/+5.

Once the cause of the bad luck is discovered, the group can examine the necklace closer. Unless a member of the group can commune with the dead or see spirits, no one should really discover much about it, other than it's really old and there are the initials "GB" inscribed on the back of the gem.

If the group throws the necklace away, it reappears the next day in their stuff or on someone's neck in the morning.

The Jeweler
The group may logically want to take the necklace back to the Jeweler that gave it to them. In his presence, the necklace does not glow, cause bad luck, or otherwise appear to be harmful.

The Jeweler explains that the necklace belonged to his late wife, who's initials were "GB" and that the necklace had always made him miss her and made him feel sad. Since giving it away, he has felt great relief and like he'd finally moved on from her death. (He should explain all of this within earshot of the necklace)

The necklace continues to follow the groups after this, though it causes bad luck less frequently.

The Medium
After over hearing the story, a helpful NPC can suggest going to the Fortune Teller's house, who lives near the cemetery outside Fjord City. Or they group can run into the Fortune Teller, who easily 'feels' the presence of the necklace, offering them help with it if they come to her house. This lead in can be used even if the group doesn't go to the Jeweler first. She may send them back to him to find out who that information, or she can get it from the necklace herself. (Up to the GM and the influence it has on the game)

The Fortune Teller's House
The Fortune teller's house is a small abode with much less going on inside than you might assume. Upon entering, the group can smell an incense burning, see a table with a jar of salt, bowl of water, and an oven mit; and can hear a quiet melody from an unseen music player. There are two, simple chairs at the table.

The Fortune teller is a wide woman with dangly earrings. However the rest of her simple dress doesn't exactly fit the right image of a fortune teller you'd see on television or selling 'readings' at a market. She seems less 'done up' and showy than anyone's experience with a 'mystic' before.

Fortune Teller: "Come in, sit." Pointing to the chair and sitting in the opposite one. "This necklace interests me. There is a strong presence here."

Fortune Teller: "Where did you get it from?"

Fortune Teller: "May I hold it?"

Fortune Teller: "I can feel a lot of sadness. The woman that used to own this loved her husband very much. But something has changed. She has seen him? Can you explain?"

Fortune Teller: "Yes, she has seen him happy now. Now that she realizes she's been causing him sorrow, she is ready to pass on."

Fortune Teller: "but it is not so easy. The jeweler's wife has been haunting the necklace for a long time. If I help release her, a Ghost Pokemon will be left behind. It will then need to be defeated or captured, or else it will roam and haunt people freely. I cannot release that."

Fortune Teller: "do you think you can fight t? Ghost Pokemon are not to be underestimated. They are powerful and harder to battle than other Pokemon."

Fortune Teller: "I can help you then and will bind it to this room for a short time. You will need to defeat it before it escapes."

The Ritual
The fortune teller creates two rings of salt, one around the necklace, another around the room. She blesses the bowl of water and Then she sprinkles some of the water on the necklace while chanting. The necklace becomes very hot and steams. The medium picks it up with the oven mit, still chanting, and drops it in the bowl.

A small burst o light and shadow break the first salt ring and a wild Hainter appears!
Haunter
Ghost/Poison Type
Ghost/Poison Type: Cost 8 points
(Vulnerability: Ground, Psychic, Dark, Ghost. Resist: Bug, Grass, Poison. Immunity: Fighting, Normal)

Battle
The battle starts as soon as the Haunter is pulled from the necklace. Initiative as normal.
The Haunter can jump and short range teleport from shadows, hiding in them as well, and gains a bonus to attacks for favored Environment: Shadows.

Defeating and capturing the Ghost Pokemon should be a battle that uses up some of the player's resources and hero points, however must be done quickly to avoid the Pokemon's escape as the salt barrier can only last so long (20 rounds/or 2 minutes).

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Re: Fjord City

Postby whiteprofit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:09 am

Fjord City

Places of Interest
The Fjord City Gym
The Fjord City Theatre
The Train System
The Hermman Department Store
The Docks
A to B Teleportation Company

Events
Abra, Kadabra... Hypno!

Fjord City
The booming metropolis of Fjord City is the largest in Glaciuary. It has a simple subway system that connects the four corners of the waterside city to each other. The town is based largely on Chicago, with access to the great Fjords digging deep into the side of Glaciuary and with access to the bay, just down stream from them.

The Fjord City Gym
The gym is home to resident Gym Leader, Henry and extends both above and bellow ground. The gym has it's own stop along the train system and the actual battle field is on the lower level, beneath the city surface.

The unique factor of the gym is the low ceiling and that all four sides (Left, Right, Floor, and Ceiling) of the gym field are penetrable, loose rock- allowing combatants to easily dig into the surface and come out in other places. The Gym leader uses this to his advantage, as much as any challenger can, and is one of his key attack strategies.

Flying Pokemon have little to no room to maneuver and are hampered/slowed by the environmental effect. Immunity to ground type attacks, based on flying type, are also negated here, though levitation may not be. Up to GM ruling.

The Train System
The underground trains are a means of transportation in the city and are well maintained by a team of different Pokemon and hired hands that keep the tunnels monitored, in good repair, and clean. Mechanically, the train can get people to any other part of the city in a max of a 1/2 hour.

It costs 100 pokedollars to get on, if money is a part of your game.

The train tunnels are also home to, and fought over, by two different city gangs: The [url]Clankers[/url] and the [url]Weavers[/url].

Hermman Department Store
The Hermman Department Store is the place to find almost anything. If using the purchasing rules in M+M, being at the department store provides a bonus toward obtaining items the player may be looking for and wanting to buy for a cheap and affordable price.

Where items are purchased normally, this is where trainers should be capable of purchasing almost any items they need that don't fall under specialty or rare items. Including, but not limited to: Food, supplies, upgrades, replacements or equipment fixes, medicines, and a variety of Pokeballs.

The Docks
The Docks are a place to find fresh fish, markets, carnival style rides, and Pokemon Battles and Tournaments.
Last edited by whiteprofit on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Equipment

Postby whiteprofit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:11 pm

Equipment
There are many ways to handle equipment in M+M. It can be paid for in the character, to guarantee use and access by a player.
Given by an NPC or circumstance, meaning there is no EP are used for purchasing, but the items may be stolen, taken, lost, or otherwise removed in the game without promise of regaining them back. These items would be more along the lines of gifts, rewards, or key items for the story.
And there can be a purchasing system, either rolling as outlined in the manual or paying with a credit/money system that is more realistic.

Under the Hood: Pokeballs
it may be impractical for players to purchase the costs listed below. Having not played this way yet, I don't know. It obviously would change the builds some. In one campaign Pokeballs were not purchased and knocking a wild Pokemon unconscious meant catching it. Players were limited to six Pokemon and that was the end of it. If players were not limited to this number, I think having to purchase Pokeballs in some fashion, even with some kind of money system, would be required.

Paying for, and using Pokeballs should be for campaigns focused on that. In a play-by-post, the defeat=captured route worked well because it sped up posting rates and was one less back and forth post/roll. On table top, it may be more fun.

Pokeballs
- Pokeball 10ep - Snare Rank 3 (Feats: Reversible; Extras: Engulf, Range, Regenerating, Alternate Save (Toughness); Flaws: Limited (Wild Pokemon Only)) (Cost 3pp/rank)
- Greatball 19 ep - Snare Rank 6 (Feats: Reversible; Extras: Engulf, Range, Regenerating, Alternate Save (Toughness); Flaws: Limited (Wild Pokemon Only)) (Cost 3pp/rank)
- Ultraball 28 ep - Snare Rank 9 (Feats: Reversible; Extras: Engulf, Range, Regenerating, Alternate Save (Toughness); Flaws: Limited (Wild Pokemon Only)) (Cost 3pp/rank)

Other Gear
PokeNav 2ep - (Smart Phone )
PokeGear 4ep - (GPS, Smart Phone, Radio)
Travel Gear 3ep - (Tent, Sleeping Gear, Cooking Tools )
PokeDex 4ep - (Knowledge (Pokemon) +8, Well-Informed, Editic Memory)
Sleeping Gear (1ep)
MedKit (1ep)
Last edited by whiteprofit on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

The Platinum Mountain Range

Postby whiteprofit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:20 pm

The Platinum Mountain Range

Also known as the Platinum Peaks, this mountain range spans into the northern regions of Glaciuary from Ruby Pond, heading North and East. Containing the famous Platinum Mountain, the tallest point in the region, the range of the same name contains many important ores and minerals to the region. It is also a location where some of the best trainers go to get better and find tough and rare Pokemon.

As one travels up the side of the Platinum Mountains, they will read many signs warning of dangerous conditions and wild Pokemon. At two locations, there are even ranger stations that require badge or other forms of clearance to pass.

Events

Pokemon
The rocky terrain of the mountain is home to many rock and ground Pokemon, as well as strong fighting and flying types. It is common to encounter bat Pokemon such as zubat and woobat inside the caverns and caves.

The further up the mountain side one travels, the stronger and tougher the Pokemon and terrain become.

Only skilled climbers, hikers, or experienced travelers should venture into the mountains without a guide. It is not a place to play once out of range from Brook Town or the small base camps set up near many peaks.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”