shin megami tensei persona game

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
zebaroth
Bystander
Bystander

shin megami tensei persona game

Post by zebaroth » Thu May 31, 2012 6:31 pm

has anyone done a game based shin megami tensei persona if so how did you do it if not what would suggest to run it.
I would love to do a game based shin megami tensei persona meanly 3-4

Apophenia
Bystander
Bystander

Re: shin megami tensei persona game

Post by Apophenia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:32 am

As a fan of the Persona games I can give you my ideas. One importent thing I think about in a Persona style game is the setting. You have a town and you have a problem and those are incredibly important to the story.

Persona 4 for example takes place in the rural town of Inaba which is normally a quiet peaceful place except that somebody is putting people into the TV world to kill them. The players are trying to find out what and why everything is happening in their town.

When designing a town the different locations and people in the town are one of the primary focuses and I think that the players should have input on who lives in the town. This gives them a sense of belonging and makes them care more about the people that live there.

The threat needs to be something large and difficult to solve. The characters should feel threatened by it but it is mainly a long term threat. There should be days or weeks that can go by without anything bad happening but when things go bad they go really bad.

Another thing you will have to consider is not including dungeon crawls. They work in video games but no so much in tabletop. Events like the monthly appearance of the special shadows in Persona 3 are more appropriate and you should focus on situations like that.

zebaroth
Bystander
Bystander

Post by zebaroth » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:56 pm

I have played persona 1,3&4 my favorite is 3. and i agree about the dungeon crawl and doing boss batter instated but i would like to include the velvet room and the other world, as I love Igor

Apophenia
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Apophenia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:46 pm

Personally I like the characters from #3 better but I think the story in #4 was done better.

I agree that the Velvet Room and Igor are good. Plus they instantly make it feel more like Persona. I would avoid having any player with Protagonist powers (Multiple Personas) just so that everybody is basically on the same footing.

One pseudo-mechanical suggestion is that when players spends Power Points that they have to choose another character in the game (PC or NPC) and explain how their improving relationship gave them this new power. It is a nice homage to Social Links.

zebaroth
Bystander
Bystander

Post by zebaroth » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Apophenia wrote:Personally I like the characters from #3 better but I think the story in #4 was done better.

I agree that the Velvet Room and Igor are good. Plus they instantly make it feel more like Persona. I would avoid having any player with Protagonist powers (Multiple Personas) just so that everybody is basically on the same footing.

One pseudo-mechanical suggestion is that when players spends Power Points that they have to choose another character in the game (PC or NPC) and explain how their improving relationship gave them this new power. It is a nice homage to Social Links.
yes those are some good ideas witch books besides the M&M rule book would suggest having if one was going to attempt running this