"Boot Camp" adventure ideas?

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Zenbubble
Bystander
Bystander

"Boot Camp" adventure ideas?

Postby Zenbubble » Wed May 23, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi All,

Need a little bit of advice.

My situation: Mash-up setting, containing any pop-culture reference you can think of, but mostly Marvel and DC characters. (TMNT and Transformers have also appeared quite regularly).

The Super-Hero Registration Act (ref: Marvel's Civil War) has just passed, and the players are about to attend S.H.I.E.L.D. Boot Camp to be certified as Sanctioned Crime Fighters.

The player's have SERIOUSLY p'ed off S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Barbara Gordon (outing her as Oracle), while announcing that they are opposed to the Registration Act, they will comply with the law and register - while being vocal about their objections to the act.

Any ideas for what can happen while they're being injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected and selected at Boot Camp?

Any suggestions appreciated :)

Thanks,

-Chris

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Re: "Boot Camp" adventure ideas?

Postby catsi563 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:37 am

Well first off how in the world did they even discover she was oracle in the first place. thats probably one of the best guarded secrets outside of Batmans identity.

as to the basic training itself. As someone whose gone through army basic its a fair bet that registration basic would be similar.

the main point of basic training is to take the trainee or Boot for easier reference and tear and break him down to nothing, then rebuild them into a disciplined and ready solider.

And believe me the Drill sergeants are VERY VERY good at that. Even so called tough guys would eventualy experience a serious level of stress and lose it a little. Esepcially if they were anyone shy of Wolverine.

the structure of Basic training is very strict and rigid. This is to insure that a Boot follows a very regimented schedule. this helps insure discipline and structure for boots.

the main thing to do for your players would be to develop a scheudle of things that a boot would go through in an ordianry day, then play that out. while you neednt go through every single step you could do so for one adventure to establish the pattern.

afterwards the team would roleplay other days as normal.

a standard day might go somethign liek this

7:00 am wakeup and shower
7:15 am muster for role ((yes its that little time for clean up and hygene))
7:20-8:30am PT (physical training)
8:30-9:00 am Breakfast (thats being generous by the way Drills are usualy right over your shoulder yelling at you to stuff your faces fast and get out of their mess hall)
9:00 -12:00 Assorted training and classes ((heres where the boots would practice with their powers, get examined by scientists, be taught various super hero skills etc))
12:00pm-12-30 Lunch ((same as breakfast))
12:30-1700 Assorted training and classes ((same as above))
17:00-17"30 Dinner (same as breakfast and lunch)
1730:-21:00 clean up of barracks, shine shoes, general time to do laundry and relax. the reality is that instructors will encourage boots to read their trainign manuals and to work out or practice skills.
21:00 lights out no exceptions everyone in bed

and lather rinse repeat for about 8 weeks. very little privacy and free time.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Sat May 26, 2012 12:17 pm

that covers the normal routine. as for adventures

1. one of the npc trainees completely snaps, PC's are the only ones who can take him down in time before he hurts someone

2. HYDRA/Cobra/generic bad guy organization has placed a mole inside the base. sniff him/her out

3. runaway super-robot from the training grounds

4. rival squad/DI is going out of their way to make the PC's wash out/get themselves arrested, because of the lip the PCs are giving

5. Crossover event, they need as many people in the feild and have left the PC's on [insert duty here]

6. Shore leave. PC's are getting a well deserved time off to explore the nearest town, on the condition that as they are still in-training, to not use their abilities

7. attacked by anti-reg supporters who accuse them of being sellouts
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Sun May 27, 2012 8:54 am

I recommend reading Magellan Justice Academy. The webcomic contains some excellent super-hero training ideas.

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Sun May 27, 2012 11:08 am

8. big superscience experiment is being conducted on base, the brass figuring that that when things inevitably go wrong, the PC's will have it covered
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

Zenbubble
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zenbubble » Sun May 27, 2012 5:58 pm

catsi563 wrote:a standard day might go somethign liek this

7:00 am wakeup and shower
7:15 am muster for role ((yes its that little time for clean up and hygene))
7:20-8:30am PT (physical training)
8:30-9:00 am Breakfast (thats being generous by the way Drills are usualy right over your shoulder yelling at you to stuff your faces fast and get out of their mess hall)
9:00 -12:00 Assorted training and classes ((heres where the boots would practice with their powers, get examined by scientists, be taught various super hero skills etc))
12:00pm-12-30 Lunch ((same as breakfast))
12:30-1700 Assorted training and classes ((same as above))
17:00-17"30 Dinner (same as breakfast and lunch)
1730:-21:00 clean up of barracks, shine shoes, general time to do laundry and relax. the reality is that instructors will encourage boots to read their trainign manuals and to work out or practice skills.
21:00 lights out no exceptions everyone in bed

This is freaking brilliant - thanks heaps for this. Now I have a basic structure to build around.

-Chris

Zenbubble
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zenbubble » Sun May 27, 2012 5:59 pm

Kreuzritter wrote:that covers the normal routine. as for adventures, <snip>

... and that should give me a couple of weeks worth of ideas!

-Chris

Zenbubble
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zenbubble » Sun May 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks for your help on this one, guys. I've had a serious case of writer's block (GM Block?) on this one for a couple of weeks now.

Training starts next session, and now I'm much more prepared :)

-Chris

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Mon May 28, 2012 3:40 am

Would the Boot Camp approach really be appropriate for S.H.I.E.L.D./ supers? It's a good idea, I just think that using a model of training like the F.B.I. or a similar agency would be more plausible.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Mon May 28, 2012 6:22 am

King Snarf wrote:Would the Boot Camp approach really be appropriate for S.H.I.E.L.D./ supers? It's a good idea, I just think that using a model of training like the F.B.I. or a similar agency would be more plausible.
You mean police training rather than military? It depends on the power level, I think.

For street heroes who deal mainly with gangs, bank robberies, art thefts, and burgular cats, then learning to cooperate with law enforcement (and not just flee the scene of a crime), and knowing what constitutes evidence and due process (and not just leave people tied up to--or with--lamp posts over piles of bank bags), et cetera, then police training would be necessary and sufficient.

For those that deal with more global threats (alien invasions, mastermind super-villians, super-spy networks, etc.) then military/C.I.A. special ops. training might well be more appropriate.

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby catsi563 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Keep in mind evn police/FBI training has a first couple fo weeks which are very rough on new trainees, a period of Hell week if you will.

and even after this period they still maintain a VERY ridgid structure and schedule.

the point and reasoning for this is to instill discipline in the trianees. It also helps weed out those who dont have the mental fortitude to make it. After all if you cant take someone yelling in your face while making you do pushups in a controlled setting, then how will you make it when some super villain or Anti metahuman soldier is fireing plasma blasts or throwing cars at you?

So they need a way to both help toughen up those who can make it, and weed out those who cant.

For those not mentaly tough enough they might put them in a remedial program thats less intense but more rigidly structured. By giving them a very strict schedule to follow they help the trainees develop structure in their life and help them control their powers in the process.

and as Greyman mentioned any of them going into the military or spec ops meta human diviisions might receive further trianing or AIT (Advanced individual training) later after basic.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Zenbubble
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zenbubble » Mon May 28, 2012 5:59 pm

I'm seeing it as a little of both - Police and Military training

Military-style boot camp, small unit training (Super-team training even), etc, but with Police & legal issues thrown in.

Players are viewing it as a challenge, but I'm dying to see how they go with Sgt. Slaughter (He was in GI Joe, so he fits the Pop-Culture theme of my game) as their drill instructor :)

Since Captain America just publicly announced that he would not support the Registration act and went underground, I think I may have Scarlett and Snake Eyes handling Hand-To-Hand combat training :)

-Chris

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Wed May 30, 2012 3:20 pm

I'm just thinking that a military approach would fail with certain types of supers. Mystics, for example. They've already have discipline up the wazoo (or the talented ones do, at any rate, if they want to deal with demons).
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”