Welcome to the World of Tomorrow, Today!

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Lord Otaku
Groupie
Groupie

Welcome to the World of Tomorrow, Today!

Post by Lord Otaku » Sun May 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Its 2012, but its not our 2012.

This is the solar system as many a novel and science fiction show though of it. A system where ever planet has life (and not all of it friendly, but some are). An earth of one government but lots of megacorps to muck things up. A world were there are no wars betweens humans but plenty of alien invasions to go around. A world were superheroes are just as much ultra-celebrity and superstar athlete as they are hero. And the best Private Investigators might not be human.

Inspiration: I wanted to try my hand at 3E and wanted some unused material to make supers with. As such I decided to use original superhero novels as my source and while I could very easily translate the more traditional superhero novels into one world. I wanted to do something different. So I decided on a alternate earth with more of the science fiction field, along with the vast array of characters I found myself with.

The majority of the setting takes mainly from John Zakour's Zach Johnson novels, and Emperor Mollusk versus the Sinister Brain by A. Lee Martinez for the feel of the world. I'm going to try to reference where everything comes from that might be too vague. But let me know if you want to know where something comes from you might find interesting.

Note: Do expect some of the traditional M&M/Hero Games stuff in here. But I at least intend to use a little at first. But that is subject to change.

Lord Otaku
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Welcome to the World of Tomorrow, Today!

Post by Lord Otaku » Mon May 21, 2012 6:54 am

This space reserved as a table of contents.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Post by greycrusader » Mon May 21, 2012 7:30 am

Odd coincidence, I was tasked with writing up the DCU version of the Solar System for the upcoming DC Adventures Atlas. While I found interesting bits about Venus, the Moon, Mars, the Asteroid Belt, Saturn, and even Pluto (the JLA has a secret base there), the other planets seemed to be pretty much the same as in our real-world universe. Nothing's really been developed with the other worlds since the Silver Age (when every planet was inhabited, of course).
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Lord Otaku
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Lord Otaku » Mon May 21, 2012 9:18 am

Interesting. I can't wait to read what you'll write about mars and DCU Martians.

As for this solar system the main source is going to Emperor Mollusk versus the Sinister Brain but he only vaguely touched on them so there is plenty of room for different sources. Mars is probably going to be a revision of some of the Barsoom like ideas mixed with some Savage World Mars and DCU (though no where near as powerful, DCU Martians are somewhat ridiculous in that regard as you well know).

Venus and Saturn however have the most interaction with Earth. Saturn with their failed invasion leaving thousands of Stone like saturnians stranded on Earth and needing jobs. And the reptile-like Venusians constantly trying to capture Emperor Mollusk to face crimes for trying to take over Venus in his youth.

Theres also a tenth planet of the solar system. Though I haven't decide if I'm just going to make it Mongo outright from Flash Gordon, or use a Champions reference and make it Planet V’han ruled by the Empress Istvatha V’han (I just bought the book of the empress) with lots of Flash Gordon feel.

Lord Otaku
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Lord Otaku » Wed May 23, 2012 10:45 am

The World Council and the mega-corps.

Of course ruling the world is a big job, and someone has to do it. For the most part the organizations responsible running the world are officially the Word Council, a group of elected officials about every 5-6 years or so, and the mega-corps themselves. Unofficially the World Council hovers between being totally useless one term to terrifyingly Omni-present and controlling the next. And the Mega-corps being Mega-corps are often after the next dollar.

This is not a true picture of how the world runs however, between "advising" supers of high prominence and power and secret societies the wheels of government can get awfully wet, either with cash or blood.

The World Council.

Handled by an electronically voting system that is never hacked and manipulated by anyone so swears Council Secuitity Systems, of billions of United Earth citizens. Being on the Council is only for people smart enough, brave enough, and skilled enough, to be allowed the responsibilities of governing the planet... Though in reality just be incredible famous seems to do the trick just fine. Which is often self defeating as people often elected ultra-famous mega-corp owners as well, which is like leaving the fox to guard the hen-house. But hey, he/she is rich and famous, so they must be doing something right.

The World Council is also the star of the mega-hit reality show "Top of the World" a show dedicated to "showing the decisions that affect your life as they happen!. Of course the show is quite clear that some of the events are scripted...Obviously that is not really that council woman selling the plans for Earth's new vacuum bomb to Saturn, or cheating on her spouse with a Martian...

Mega-Corps:

Large and in charge the monolithic corporations that have decidedly taken the place of national government these days. Most of these corporations are not of the decisively evil sort. In fast some are run by supers with the best interest of earth at heart. But even these are giving to bouts of pragmatism and are coldly logical in their business deals.

Should be noted that outright immoral mega-corps are frowned upon and watched closely by their fellows. Some have been outright crushed by a loose alliance of their fellows. Heck, even the worst of enemies will temporally put aside their differences if are mega-corp starts making a world killer zombie plague. As such a delicate balance exists between pursing power and the need to keep all the other mega-corps from gaining up on them.