Days of Futures Past

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
IronSledge
Hireling
Hireling

Days of Futures Past

Post by IronSledge » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:35 am

I'm not sure if this belongs here or the sidekicks lounge, so if the mods feel another forum is more appropriate, please move the thread to the right place.

I've been a fan of superhero role-playing since the end of the 80s. While watching cartoons on Netflix with my five-year-old yesterday, she saw the old X-Men cartoon from the 90s and wanted to watch that.

The Sentinels are featured very prominently at first and I was thinking that really do have a great look to them. And that got my reading the old TSR Marvel RPG, specifically the four part MX series based on the dystopian Days of Futures Past arc.

And I had two thoughts. The first was that it's surprising how well the whole thing holds up, being based on a very specific time and place. The other is that it really seems like it's the only example of its kind, a sandboxish campaign based on something outside comics continuity. Sure, Marvel had Secret Wars adventures, but they weren't the same thing.

So, does anyone else remember this? Has anyone tried running this in M&M? I loved the old FASERIP system, but I really think that Mutants and Masterminds is the best system I've ever come across for superhero gaming.
My blog: Family stuff, Zelazny book reviews and M&M campaign logs!

Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Days of Futures Past

Post by Aerlwyn » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:50 am

Ive not run it in M&M but i have run it in marvels superhero system. Even use my home city at the time for the back ground and such. The heroes lived in tunnels under the University.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:09 pm

They were pretty good modules, though I never did get my group to run through the last one.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

IronSledge
Hireling
Hireling

Post by IronSledge » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Aerlwyn wrote:Ive not run it in M&M but i have run it in marvels superhero system. Even use my home city at the time for the back ground and such. The heroes lived in tunnels under the University.
I don't know if it's more about the system or the era, but it seems like everyone I've ever met who played a MSH campaign used their home town!
My blog: Family stuff, Zelazny book reviews and M&M campaign logs!

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:42 pm

For me, it was because Avengers Coast to Coast and the Avengers Experimental Franchise adventure at the end of it. Still one of my favorites.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters