My setting needs a name!(Brad's Players Do Not Look)

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Flamingo7
Bystander
Bystander

My setting needs a name!(Brad's Players Do Not Look)

Post by Flamingo7 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:28 pm

Alright so I've thought up most of my setting and plot, right now I mainly just want to spit it out into words. If anyone has like comments or ideas that you think would be straight win in my setting please send them my way. Anyways here we go and hope you like it!

The World has no super-heroes. For all intents and purposes it looks completely normal but right underneath that boils a super-human conflict that could destroy everything.

In Seattle an odd Russian and his fast talking cousin are starting a gang with technology straight out of science fiction. Mechanized suits of armor able to lift a semi, fly, and outfitted with military grade technology are showing up being used by a new criminal organization called the Syndicate. Meanwhile an old gang has been resurfacing after being off the radar for years, the Crucible is back and worse than ever. Some people on the street are even saying they're using magic. As each side fights for more territory a devastating gang war is getting closer and closer to erupting.

Meanwhile eye-witness reports of squid-men who walk like apes and, even stranger, mythological creatures are coming in. Most people don't believe that they exist but as more and more of these accounts show up people are wondering if it might be real. Back in Seattle people are disappearing. The only thing that connects the people are horrific nightmares that friends say that they had before disappearing.

Unbeknownst to anyone on Earth these seemingly divergent and bizarre things are all due in part to a wave of xenocidal aliens known as the Drascul. They began years ago to kill everything they met after a vicious war with another race. Finally annihilating or enslaving every race in half the galaxy they found a planet in the center of the galaxy comprised of god-like beings in a civil war. Severely weakened the Gods had no chance against this army of creatures. With most of the Gods dead and the few alive fleeing the thing they did to protect the galaxy has started to fall apart.

An Order of Protection Gods used their last breath to banish and destroy a race of lovecraftian creatures known as The Crafts. That would be great but before the Order could finish the banishment the Drascul started killing members. With the banishment half-finished The Crafts are reincarnating, a few of them doing so on Earth.

Some Drascul and God technology has fallen in the hands of the people of Earth. Some governments used them to create "Super-Human Task Forces" as a type of super-black ops team. Since then these government Bureaus try and capture anyone showing super-human powers. With zero-liability and complete anonymity, these groups represent the worst in humanity and the most extreme in governments. Others, including that odd Russian, have found them and many are criminals. With such advanced tech police will be useless against them.

The few gods that survived are using last ditch efforts to ready the next planet on the Drasculs path. Some are giving the last of their powers to humans while others are contacting half-human sons of daughters of themselves. The one surviving member of the Godhead, the super-powerful leaders of the God-like beings, has landed on Earth and is trying to ready it himself.

The last thing that reacted to the Death of the Gods might take a little bit more explanation.

100s of years ago, back back way back, four Gods came from the planet in the center of the Galaxy to Earth. They were brothers, known as the Brothers Jack, and decided that this planet with the new sentient life forms might need some help. Each took a season and one of the five races of beings to watch. Quiet and shy the brother Jack Frost loved the darkness and the cold so he became Lord of Winter and watched over the Nightgaunts. The Nightgaunts are shadow creatures who ate emotions for sustenance. Strong and abrasive the brother Jack Giantkiller loved action and fighting, putting thinking of your actions way behind doing them, became Lord of Spring and watched over the Primals. The Primals are instinctual creatures who look like humanoid versions of non-horned mammals. They lack concentration but make it up for their powerful and strong bodies. A pacifist and lover of light the brother Jack Candlestick was a social butterfly. He became Lord of Summer and watched over the Dragons. The Dragons, despite their name, are not true dragons in a fictional sense. Instead they are golden scaled humanoids who love the daylight. They can breathe fire though along with a limited control of fire in their sight. The last brother was a cunning and sly creature. He loved to play games on the other brothers and was generally believed to be a trickster. His name is Jack O'Lantern and he took the season of introspection and thought and became the Lord of Fall. He ruled over the Beastkith, creatures of the mind. They look like humanoid versions of horned mammals and display mind powers like telekinesis and telepathy. Each brother agreed to watch the last of the races, the humans, together. They saw the humans advance and...well this part I don't have completely down. Something happened between the Brothers Jack and the humans that the humans saw them as a threat. During one Fall, each brother was hunted. The first was Candlestick. A pacifist he thought he could talk them out of it. He was wrong and died a useless death. His wings were cut off and he was lit on fire and thrown off the tallest cliff. The first of the 90 evils sprung from his body, great serpents and dragons climbed out and were followed by eel creatures full of poison and hate. The second was Giantkiller who thought he could fight them till they backed down. He fought and he fought but upon seeing the carnage he inflicted he backed down and binded. Tortured for days for the crimes of Summer, his eyes were gouged out before dying. From his corpse sprung 90 more evils, ogres, were-wolves, and other beings of war and carnage. Jack Frost tried to hide, but near the end of Fall they found him and killed him. They beheaded him for the crimes of Winter. From his corpse sprung the last 90 evils, shadow beings and night creatures who ate the skin of their prey. Lastly Jack O'Lantern ran and escaped. He walked for centuries until finding a forest that he'd never been to before. He walked to an old church and found a prison full of souls. The place was bleak and disturbing at the same time, scared he wandered around until realizing this would be the perfect place to punish humanity. He defeated the Warden and became the new Warden of this place, renaming himself Jack Harvest.

Now that was half of that backstory! lol Just kidding.

Jack O'Lantern gave four of the races a gift. The gift was the ability to morph into a human shape in order to hide better than Jack Frost did. He still cared for these races and was determined to have them survive. After a large amount were slaughtered in a war, they eventually disappeared from records completely. Each of them formed their own chain of command. The Nightgaunts had the Shadow Court, cunning and sly the tried to control humans like puppets. The Primals had the First Tribe, a group of the strongest from each major group of Primals who talked of things like war and fighting but never truly fought. The Dragons had the Rule of Nine, the nine eldest and largest of the Dragons who taught them ways of peace. The last are the Beastkith, they had the Council of Balance who put it upon themselves to police the four races and keep the masquerade up. They also protect objects of power and guard the Great Prison. The most famous of these objects of power are four coins made in the War before the Masquerade from the hearts of the most powerful member of each of the four races. The Great Prison is where the 270 evils of the Gods Corpse are held after they were captured. The Gods corpses are in there also to make sure any more evils that exit aren't gonna get out of the prison.

Phew! That was a block of text if ever there was a block of text. Now the mythological creatures that are appearing in the world are because the prisons opened around the time the coins were stolen. The squid-apes are the shocktroopers of the Drascul, a race of tribal people called O'raone (pronounced Oh-Ray-Neh) who were captured and experimented on for months and years. What came out of that was a thick paste that would form mutated versions of the O'raone if water touched them. They're super resistant to damage and able to communicate easily with each other and develop squad tactics decently quickly. Also the paste is super-flammable and used as a napalm style weapon.

Alright...so if any plot holes are abound please tell me! The games gonna start with the players powerless until I give them powers so they can be the first super-heroes! Yay! It's gonna be super-fun but I'm wondering if I plotted it out decently.

Damren
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: My setting needs a name!(Brad's Players Do Not Look)

Post by Damren » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:18 pm

I think you've got a lot of excellent ideas. To me, it almost seems like two game settings. The SciFi version & the Mystical version. It would be interesting to see how you blend them together.

The background seems pretty solid on the 'big picture' scale. The smaller scale stuff seems a little thin at this point, although I imagine you've got more of that worked out. Will the starting point be in Seattle? Or, was that mostly flavor text?

I'm also a little curious as to how the new heroes will gain their abilities and be pulled into the fight. Will they be allowed to chose from all of the Five races, or will you be using the presence of the others to explain certain types of power, heroes and/or villains? Do you plan on starting small (low level)? Or, will you be setting things on high gear right from the start?

How long does Earth have between the scouting parties of the aliens and the actual invasion force? I didn't get a real sense of current timing, so it might help to timeline things out a bit - at least for the major events.

Exactly how were men able to kill gods? And, will that be coming into play at some point in the story arcs you're planning?

Great job!

Flamingo7
Bystander
Bystander

Re: My setting needs a name!(Brad's Players Do Not Look)

Post by Flamingo7 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:27 pm

The background seems pretty solid on the 'big picture' scale. The smaller scale stuff seems a little thin at this point, although I imagine you've got more of that worked out. Will the starting point be in Seattle? Or, was that mostly flavor text?
Yes the campaign is gonna start in seattle. I live in tacoma so it's the closest and biggest city that could be used as the super-hero city. Smaller stuff is a little thin, waiting for my players to give me they're background so I can add a few things. I think I'm gonna be making my main "avatar of the Craft" be the missing brother of one of my players though. Have him get lost in forbidden knowledge and come out of it a monster.
I'm also a little curious as to how the new heroes will gain their abilities and be pulled into the fight. Will they be allowed to chose from all of the Five races, or will you be using the presence of the others to explain certain types of power, heroes and/or villains? Do you plan on starting small (low level)? Or, will you be setting things on high gear right from the start?
More the second, everyone will start out depowered. I will be starting low, having the players make pl2 pp35 characters and then giving them power sets that cost about 80 points and bring them up to Pl 7-8. I made a list of 13 power sets and let my players choose at least 3 from the list that they'd enjoy having. I will be picking from those 3 for them.
How long does Earth have between the scouting parties of the aliens and the actual invasion force? I didn't get a real sense of current timing, so it might help to timeline things out a bit - at least for the major events.
It'll be like 4 years from the start of the campaign. Gonna give the world a feeling of unease on the super-heroes and the invasion will either fix things and make them into a JLA/Avengers status group or just make them worse off. Or you know they'll ***deleted*** up and the entire planet will be taken over by the aliens, then it'll be a really interesting campaign.
Exactly how were men able to kill gods? And, will that be coming into play at some point in the story arcs you're planning?
They aren't really "gods" just very powerful super-humans. Kinda like the new gods. Each were killed through the most the humans could do. Once you have multiple nations armies against you, you tend to lose. And besides that each of the brothers let themselves die. Also it will be a plot point since I think it might include some magitech from the god world in the hands of humans. Not entirely sure yet. Also with the Warden of the otherworldly hell prison being one of the Brothers and a power set coming from him, it will be a plot point. The possibility of having Jack Harvest disappear after being confronted by Beastkith friends of the player might be enough to make him disappear from the world knowing even his beloved Beastkith would fight him. I think that would by default make the player with the Jack Harvest given power set become the new Warden so it'll be interesting.