All Saints Campaign Setting

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Ellmo
Bystander
Bystander

All Saints Campaign Setting

Post by Ellmo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:51 pm

Hey boys and girls. I am working on a Campaign setting that I am calling All Saints. This setting is a Alternate DC setting that is based around New Orleans and its surrounding area as it would be if New Orleans was saved by Heroes from Hurricane Katrina. So there was only minor damage to the city, but other than that it is completely intact.

I will Use this Thread as a compilation of all of the things I come up with for the Setting but also to help generate ideas and impute from all of you fine people.

The DC influence in the setting is as follows. It is in the DC Universe but with a slightly altered timeline. Almost everyone is younger than they are in current cannon. For instance The Riddler is a Teenager, Batman is a young adult (early to mid 20's), ect. This age shift is not always an equal shift, for instance Lex Luther and Superman are still the age they appear iconicity. The age shift is pretty much just as I see fit. It is mostly due to the fact that the game being played in the Setting currently is a Teen Heroes game.

So I would love input on this setting idea; on DC characters that would fit well in this location and other ideas on more DC Universe impute into the setting. As well as input on the location. I have only ever been to New Orleans once (I was very young and it was before the Hurricane) so I would love some input about the city and surrounding area itself. Especially pre-Katrina info. I am currently just using google to look up locations and ghost stories and potential plot hooks that revolve around New Orleans but getting some ideas from someone who knows a bit about the city would be much more realistic.

Stormborn
Bystander
Bystander

Re: All Saints Campaign Setting

Post by Stormborn » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:09 am

Appropriate DC Characters for the area:
-Hawkman - who was once HQ'd in St Roche a fictional LA city.
- Madam Xanadu - who I am pretty sure had a shop in New Orleans at some point
- Swamp Thing - somewhat obviously but any of the other plant based characters might work as well: Black Orchid, Floronic Man, etc
-Given the City is below sea level Aquaman might be appropriate, but a more interesting twist would be a Tempest like PC from a Caribbean or Gulf Atlantean colony.
-As far as Katrina goes: You really only need one Kryptonian, Green Lantern, or Flash to stop a Hurricane. Another possibility would be Red Tornado. Hit Silver Age origin as an android possessed by the Rannian Tornado Champion might allow him to loose his android body "dying" as the hero of the city while being reborn in a native of NO, maybe one that was about to die if he had not taken over. Althoug Supergirl striking out on her own and making a name for herself would be nice too.

I would just get a good guide book the NO, unless your players are intimately familiar with the city as long as you throw in some iconic places/names you will be fine.

EDIT: Great villain ideas: Lovecraftian Deep Ones living in area and slowly trying to take over. Vodun cults are a bit obvious.
SECOND EDIT: A young Killer Croc as an anti-hero protecting his family and land would be a good fit as well.

Ellmo
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Ellmo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:33 pm

Hmm those hero suggestions are good ones, a couple I wouldn't have ever thought of. Madam Xanadu works perfectly to have a shop within the city, Swamp Thing I already thought of and I'm pretty sure I will use him, Hawkman is an interesting one that I wouldn't have thought to use and I'm liking the idea of having him as the more powerful hero in the area. I really wouldn't have thought about Aquaman but it makes very good since. I have never been a big follower of Aquaman though so anything I write to tie him in might be like a "wtf" moment for anyone that is a fan of him so any suggestions for him would be appreciated. So others that I know are going to be there are Copperhead and Clayface.

As far as the actual Katrina thing goes. The way I currently have it is that Hurricane Katrina was caused by a Storm Controller Villain named... Katrina. Her powers where enhanced by a a special crown thing made by Luther Co. and that is what gave her the ability to make such a destructive storm. Lex Luther gave the crown to the villains in the area to do this because he is currently running for president and it is to help bring down the approval rating of the current press (Similar to RL at the time). The Teen Titans South (That is their working name It might be changed though) stopped this plan though and saved the city. It was left up to the teen super group because most of the older and stronger heroes and over helping the war effort in Iraq and Iran. This entire story was the first adventure I ran with my group of players in this setting, they are the Teen Titans South, so pretty much whatever they do I am trying to tie back into the setting background.

The Red Tornado thing is good stuff though and I might use that in another area of the history of the city.

GET A GUIDE BOOK! Duh that is what I should do! I feel dumb for not even thinking of that. Wow I'm an idiot.

Stormborn
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Stormborn » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:54 am

I like the idea of a Teen Titans South! They are the only group in the DCU with a history of that kind of franchise (not counting the international scope of JLI) and thats a good anchor to the rest of the U.

Aquaman could come into the scene investigating any number of things: Atlantean Artifacts discovered in the area, Lost Colonies - particularly degenerate ones causing trouble, or perhaps Katrina stirred something up in the Gulf and its going to take help from the King of the Seas to put it down.

Do you have a list of PCs from your TTS game? That might help us give you some more links to the area that are specific to the Team.

Ellmo
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Ellmo » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:56 am

The Current members of TTS are:
Ed' Nigma a.k.a. The Riddler - This is a obviously a teen version of the riddler as a hero. The idea here is that Ed' joined the Teen Titans since he is a super investigator rivaling the likes of Batman himself though he can get a little obsessive about salving mysteries and puzzles. He left the Teen Titans to form the TTS. The JLA and Teen Titans organization helped with initial funding (Like helping to set up a secret HQ in a swamp just outside of New Orleans). He then started finding heroes to be apart of the TTS. His main nemesis is Dr.Voodoo, a Villain I created who is one of the main villains and behind most of the things that happen in my campaign. The Riddler specifically dislikes Dr. Voodoo because it is very hard to find him or figure out his plans because they are all convoluted with magic which sometimes does not follow logic and makes investigation and puzzle solving extremely difficult.

Misty - Misty has won Miss Teen Louisiana 3 years in a row. She is a local celebrity in New Orleans both because of her looks and because she is a genius that his invented a suit that can manipulate the weather, such as creating tornadoes, calling down lightning, and raising the humidity to create fog. She was born and raised in New Orleans and everyone knows who is she... well every teenage girl at least and probably more teenage boys than are willing to let on. She joined the TTS when the last Miss Teen Louisiana was interrupted by Dr. Voodoo who was capitalizing on the large number of people to collect more souls to fuel his power. Misty helped the Riddler get the people out of the stadium before Dr. Voodoo could take to many of their souls.

Strike - Strike is from Quebec Canada. He use to work for a large crime organization as a thief and smuggler. They took advantage of his super speed often. He was arrested on some high profile theft charges that had been linked to the same crime organization but their wasn't enough evidence to convict so they let him go and Strike wanted nothing more to do with the crime syndicate and left. He came to New Orleans and at first roused suspicions of The Riddler as Strike showed up suspiciously close to several murders in the area, and Riddler found out about the theft charges against him in Quebec. After further investigation though it was found to be Dr. Voodoo and his followers behind the murders. Strike started secretly helping the TTS until he was formally asked to join after the TTS freed Gator.

Gator - After Dr. Voodoo attacked the teen beauty pageant he used the souls he collected to infuse strong magic into alligators creating very tough and very strong alligator henchmen. Gator was the strongest of these minions that Dr. Voodoo tried to create. Dr. Voodoo was trying to create a champion to lead his gatormen when the TTS stopped him and broke the ritual before it could be completed severing the mind control over Gator and giving him free will and humanlike intelligence. Gator joined the TTS and is learning what is means to be a hero still, it goes against his nature not to kill stuff when you are attacking it. Gator is the biggest and strongest of the gatormen that Dr. Voodoo created, and he is technically a teenager in alligator years (He is only 13).

That is the basics. as We keep going obviously it will keep expanding. I am working on tying in the criminal organization that is not happy that he left with all of their secrets so they might send someone after him or something.

Strike and The Riddler are not actually from the south but the other two are from New Orleans.

Stormborn
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Stormborn » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:45 pm

The only initial thoughts based on those PCs would be some possibilities for Strike:

Intergang - the upper echelons are Darkside worshipers, but the rank and file only know they have the best gear. There is president for them to attempt to recruit and or control super powered teens.

Royal Flush Gang - the version thats actually an extended gang network with "decks" and "hands" all over the world. Strike could have been on a "fast" track to make a 10 before he realized how deep he was.

One of the Assassin's Guilds fronts: Stike might not have known anything about it, and still might not. But Ra's took note of him and doesn't like to loose.

Alexandros
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Alexandros » Sat May 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Aquaman would be a good fit for a city in the close vicinity of the ocean, a major river delta, and Lake Pontchartrain, wouldn't he? At least as a temporary ally/mentor figure, he could shine in this environment.