Marvel vs. DC

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Marvel vs. DC

Post by Neo-Paladin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:33 pm

One quick question...if you could describe in 5 to ten terms what the defining qualities of the Marvel Universe and the DC Universe are, what would these terms be?

JetstreamGW
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: Marvel vs. DC

Post by JetstreamGW » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:29 pm

I like Linkara's descriptors myself, so i'll just toss 'em out here.

Marvel: Heroes you can relate to.

DC: Heroes you can look up to.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:35 pm

Hmm...I started this thread because I keep wondering if the basic tenets of both universes could possibly be merged (not the characters but the basics behind it all).

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Thakowsaizmu » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Amalgamverse
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:48 am

No, that was a very cheesy attempt to merge the characters. I am talking about trying to merge the basic ideas behind the two universes.

Dureign
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Dureign » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:10 pm

I agree that the Amalgam-verse is rather lame.

I would say you can't really generalize Marvel vs. DC, but you can generalize the individual superhero teams.

I really like the "relate to"/"look up to" dichotomy.

For the Justice League, I'd say they are mythological: they are gods that try to be human. All action tends to smear together in my memory, so the JL stories that stick in my head are the quieter moments; like when the ultimate pinnacle of human achievement Batman, and the god-touched, ultimate warrior Wonder Woman, go to visit the alien omnipotent god Superman... to give him birthday gifts. And they refer to each other by first name (Bruce, Clark, Diana), not by their codenames.

For the Avengers (and perhaps the X-Men), they are humans who have the power of gods. So they are flawed, but their mistakes are magnified because of the power they have, but they still try to do good.

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Thakowsaizmu » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:19 pm

Hey! The Amalgamverse is really cool.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:55 pm

I say, why choose between the two? Why not have them be both someone you can look up to and relate to as well?

After all, IMHO, an attribute that truly makes a good hero, super or otherwise, is humility.
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:15 pm

I asked this because I had a certain idea that refused to leave my head about a character or, better, a character constellation that actually tackled this dichotomy. Given that my Earth-47 setting is basically a rehash of established universes, I feel the urgent need to create something new(though I will work on earth-47 again if I get rid of the writer's block).

The basic idea was that, suddenly, two superhuman figures break into our world. One is The Glory, a godlike saviour who is good through and through but has problems relating to normal people since he is so far beyond them. The other, nicknamed either The Champion or somesuch is much more relatable, funny, witty, sometmes charitable etc. However, the two superhumans are mortal enemies and their first fight is responsible not just for the devastation of a city but also the emergence of superheroes proper into our world.

Now, the idea behind these two characters and their enmity is that they both come from distinct branches of the future. The Glory comes from an utopian future where mankind has defeated most evils and exists in an enlightened, superhuman state, assisted by technologies that might as well be magic to us.
The Champion comes from a version of the future that has a distinct cyberpunk-vibe to it and is basically what one might consider a corporate lapdog, enhanced to the brim to bring his/her rather dystopian future to pass. That would make The Champion evil but s/he is far more down-to-earth and is not a cackling madman, instead going on about the freedom of choice etc., knowing that human greed would much rather create his/her future. Both are heroes in a way but one fights the status quo, the other seeks to preserve it. That is the backdrop of all other superhuman shenanigans.

Not sure if this would deserve to be written out fully...if there is interest, I will whip up a seperate thread.

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Post by King Snarf » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:22 am

Thakowsaizmu wrote:Hey! The Amalgamverse is really cool.
Indeed. I thought Bruce Wayne: Agent of Shield was genius.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Aerlwyn » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:34 am

Magneto and the Magnetic Men was another cool comic line.