META 4?

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

META 4?

Postby Walking Dad » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:42 am

It was the implied 1st edition setting and explored in Crooks! for both 1st and 2nd edition.

Who holds currently the rights for this property? I would like to see a 3rd edition update.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

BS Digital Q
Partisan
Partisan
Location: BSDigitalQTV Studios, bargain basement of the airwaves!

Re: META 4?

Postby BS Digital Q » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:16 am

IIRC, Eld has done some 3E conversions of the characters from Crooks!, if not all of them. Pretty good stuff, I'd check him out.

Personally, I'm more interested in seeing a general sourcebook for the setting beyond just Crooks!, as some of the heroes like Minotaur and Protonik really intrigued me based on the little bits of info in Crooks!

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Walking Dad » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:32 am

BS Digital Q wrote:...

Personally, I'm more interested in seeing a general sourcebook for the setting beyond just Crooks!, as some of the heroes like Minotaur and Protonik really intrigued me based on the little bits of info in Crooks!

This! It was "nearly" a worldbook and I would like to see a complete setting.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

XLS
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby XLS » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:10 am

I've been a fan of this setting for years, and have even tried to run PbP games using it. The problem, of course, is that a lot of newer people haven't been introduced to the setting, and so META-4 lacks much interest for them. It's unfortunate, since if you read some of the stuff on the web, the designers REALLY had a lot of stuff laid out that never even made it to press.

I don't do 3e (yet), but I'd love to run/design adventures for a 2e META-4 universe.

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:11 am

Yeah. I too wouldn't mind seeing more. It very much seemed like the Marvel to Freedom City's DC.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

XLS
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby XLS » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:28 pm

King Snarf wrote:Yeah. I too wouldn't mind seeing more. It very much seemed like the Marvel to Freedom City's DC.
Well, except that while Freedom City is heavily influenced by-- and pays homage to-- the DC universe (aside from the Claremont School's clear nod to the X-Men, most of Freedom City seems to be based around DC analogs), META-4 really was all over the place-- meant in a good way.

Thus, while Protonik seems to be Superman-like paragon, he really bears little resemblance to Superman beyond the power-set. The Reserve doesn't seem to resemble either the Justice League or the Avengers. The Atomic Brain-- perhaps META-4's most iconic figure-- is a pastiche of campy Silver Age-ish sci-fi tropes, but doesn't really resemble Darkseid, Lex Luthor, Magneto, Dr. Doom, or any other major Marvel or DC foe.

And perhaps that was part of the appeal.

I doubt we'll see much from Super Unicorn again in terms of META-4 updates, and that's too bad. Reading stuff on the web-- interviews and the like-- it sounds like they had a LOT more background material than appeared in Crooks!, and it would have been great to have seen all of it in print.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”