Elementverse

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Sangouki
Groupie
Groupie

Elementverse

Postby Sangouki » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:25 am

Hey look, a sub-forum I've never been in before! As some of you might have noticed over in Roll Call I've been bitten by the crazy idea bug, so...here I am.

Setting Overview
View of Old York from the air

Over four thousand years ago, the world was ruled by a type of monkey called Man. Relics of Man have been found on every continent and in some of the most inhospitable areas of the planet, a testament to their ingenuity. They lived in a society much like ours; they had roads and cars, airplanes, even computers. Also like us, they frequently went to war with each other. The last, and most destructive of these, was the War of Darkness, so named for the fact that it lasted a generation and no records of that time exist. After that conflict, Man is believed to have gone extinct.

This is the world we came into. As the picture at the beginning of this lecture can attest, it is a world much-changed from the one Man knew. This can also be seen in the Bay of Sydney, which is believed to have once been a large metropolis...

--Excerpt from lecture by Prof. Larksen, Hudson University

The world of The Elements (boy I wish I were good at coming up with superhero team names...) is at once familiar and alien. It's set on planet Earth, but an Earth around four thousand years in the future and after the apocalypse. The survivors were genetically-engineered talking animals, and they've since gone forth and multiplied. Now they can be found on every continent, including Antarctica (now largely thawed out), forming a civilization similar to ours. Except lately it seems that reports of strange powers and the people who use them are becoming more and more common, and not the kind of thing you can write off as a lunatic's ravings.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Elementverse

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:03 am

Some questions (most of which you probably would have answered anyway later):

Is the genetically engineered talking animal (we're talking anthropomorphic, right?) society up to current-day tech levels and social issues?

Does the name The Elements (very cool, by the way) mean anything?

Will humans somehow feature as a "lost race" (like most superhero stuff treats Atlantians)?

Sangouki
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Sangouki » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:40 am

1) Yes to both of those (example over here in my build thread)
2) It's the name of the main characters' team. I chose it because there are five of them and there are five elements in the Chinese Wu Xing. One of the team members is the wise old martial artist type, so it was his suggestion and, for lack of a better idea, everyone else went with it.
3) Yes and no. Human 'lostech' (the human race was a bit more advanced in ~2200 when everything went kablooey) will be important to the plot. But is there a lost city of humans out there? Nope. However, the first globe-spanning super-threat in the setting will be a human. Or at least, he was a human once...

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:32 am

Sangouki wrote:I chose it because there are five of them and there are five elements in the Chinese Wu Xing.

Love that system.

Sangouki wrote:3) Yes and no. Human 'lostech' (the human race was a bit more advanced in ~2200 when everything went kablooey) will be important to the plot. But is there a lost city of humans out there? Nope. However, the first globe-spanning super-threat in the setting will be a human. Or at least, he was a human once...

Interesting nonetheless. Not every setting needs a long-lost city of proto-people.

I'll be looking forward to this one.

Sangouki
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Sangouki » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:41 pm

Geography

The basic map of the world is similar to one I saw on a website that had a bunch of alternate Earth maps. I'm not going to provide a link since the page for the map I'm thinking of had a random sketch of a topless girl on it for no particular reason. Basic summary: the sea is around 110 meters / 360 feet higher and the temperature is a fair bit higher as well. Part of this is natural causes...part of it is indiscriminate use of mad science wunderwaffen during the War of Darkness. What was once Scandinavia is now a large island, Antarctica is habitable, the Statue of Liberty is underwater, etc. There are also craters and other signs of massive conflict scattered all over the world.

Nations of the World

Europe

Scandiva: A large island nation to the north, Scandiva is known for its temperate climate and long periods of darkness during the mild winters. A lot of the continent's farming is done here now that many other parts of the continent are underwater or fouled with salt water. Scandiva is the first democracy in modern history, after the Solstice Revolution deposed King Halvard IV (also known as Halvard the Vile).

Ruminia: Once, the land this nation was composed of sat near the middle of the continent; now it's well-known for its beaches and fishing, as it now sits on the northern edge of the Mediterranean. It was largely spared the devastation of the War of Darkness, and its vast open plains made it ripe for settling. A recent population boom brought on by immigration from the more-unstable east in the last few decades has led to an uptick in Ruminians going abroad; there aren't enough jobs to go around. At least, well-paying jobs.

The country got its name from the fact that the population is majority cattle or sheep. Wolves are a highly-distrusted minority.

North America

Northam Republic: The largest nation on the continent, comprising most of Canada and the United States. It was once a group of smaller squabbling nations, but time and trading relationships eventually brought them closer together until they finally united some three hundred years ago. It's a parliamentary democracy, and the capital is New Beck near where Montreal once stood (now quite underwater).

One of its largest cities is Hudson, which is basically this universe's version of Marvel's New York (read: super-power magnet). Hudson is, in fact, well in sight of the bay where New York City once was.

People's Republic of Yuka: There's still gold and oil in Alaska, and so there are still people who want that gold and oil. Up until 50 years ago, Yuka was ruled by monarchs of varying caliber; the most recent dynasty was quite unstable and incompetent. This eventually caused an uprising led by oil workers espousing a philosophy called Herdism; the land belonged to all the people, and so should the profits from that land. Surprisingly not bitter enemies with Northam (Yuka's resources are important after all).

Africa

Sahal:Yet another country born under the shadow of the Great Pyramids. How they avoided destruction in the War of Darkness is still a mystery; perhaps destroying uninhabited cultural artifacts was a waste of time. The Sphinx now sits proudly overlooking Khufu Harbor. Interestingly, ancient Sahal and ancient Egypt had much in common as the natives consciously styled themselves after the stone monuments and tomb paintings they found.

(w.i.p. I could go on like this for a while if you let me :lol: )
Last edited by Sangouki on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re:

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:43 pm

Sangouki wrote:(w.i.p. I could go on like this for a while if you let me :lol: )

Please do: I need some ideas to imitate. :wink:

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:21 pm

I would certainly be interested in hearing more - this sounds like a novel idea for a setting! :mrgreen:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Sangouki
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Sangouki » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:24 pm

I'm actually thinking about publishing this, somehow, but it's kind of at the 'Step 1: Write, Step 2: ???, Step 3: put it on DTRPG' phase in my head. Alas I can't draw so this won't ever be an actual comic.

Anyway, added two new countries. Also...

Flora and Fauna

The burning question in pretty much any setting involving talking animals: what do they eat? Each other? No. Most of the world's wildlife has been replaced with the descendents of weird genetically-engineered creatures from before the War of Darkness, or mutants created by the effects of that war.

Vohss: A large two-legged creature. It vaguely resembles the overgrown velociraptors of Jurassic Park, except it has a beak instead of a mouth full of fangs. It also lacks arms. It's replaced the horse in most of the ways humans use them; as mount, beast of burden, or simply a pet. The vohss is perfectly edible but many cultures frown on that practice.

Ulla: Very large creature raised as livestock. The ulla walks on six legs that end in pointed hooves. It has enough flexibility in the wrist that it can walk on the flat part of the hooves, but also rotate them to point parallel to their forearm. They mostly use this feature to dig for food or climb steep hills, but needless to say you don't want to get punched by one. Its skin is used for leather, and its meat is akin to buffalo.

Lirix: Large predator native to the Nile plains. Like a tiger, its short bristly fur is striped, and for similar reasons: in the grasslands of the Sahal it's practically invisible to color-blind creatures. The body of the lirix is short and squat, like a crocodile's; while it can hit bursts of up to 18 kph (19 mph), it has almost no endurance. The mouth full of fangs is not how it kills. That would be the sharp stinger at the end of its tail.

In regions where the Lirix is found, local cultures often use it as a representation of the ultimate evil. The only way it could be worse is if it were venomous (thankfully, it's not).
Last edited by Sangouki on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Sangouki wrote:The only way it could be worse is if it were venomous (thankfully, it's not).

Paging Dr. Plot.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:45 am

Hey, Sangouki: I know you don't want to provide a link to that map, but could you provide the address? I really like alternate earth maps, I want to see what you're thinking of when you make this setting.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”