Dark(-ish) Fantasy Setting [WIP]

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Skari-dono
Groupie
Groupie

Dark(-ish) Fantasy Setting [WIP]

Postby Skari-dono » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:17 am

Greetings to all and happy 2012 (and stuff).

I'm lazily working on a fantasy setting to use for a game and I settled on using M&M to test it with. There are few reasons why: First of all, I think the system is brilliant and allows for much greater variety of characters than, say, D&D. Second, I am too lazy to make up a system of my own, although I have been trying. Thirdly, M&M is very useful for template-making, which allows me to make elves and dwarves fit my own personal designs.

I am going to be doing some major changes to the system though, and to effectively do so I would really much like your input. In return, I will add to this thread pretty much everything I can share on the setting, including the map I'm working on and other stuff.

Here are some of the stuff I want to do. I will add to this list as I find appropriate. (Since I don't know how to make a list, I'll just do it by hand. If it does not agree with you, I apolagize.)

-Gold: I want to remove Equipment points and replace them with coins. The classic copper, silver, gold, and platinum range will be used. The Equipment Feat will be removed from the game and instead you can buy 5 pieces of gold for 1 PP at character creation. I want to do this to be able to award players with gold more often. There is a problem though: If I use the standard cost of EP, a bow would cost more than a sword. I need to somehow find an acceptible method of calculating prices. I have thought of combining EP cost and Toughness and somehow work out a price from that number, but I don't want the gear to be too expensive.

-Superpowers: Generally speaking, magic is the only power in this setting, aside from some spell-like abilities possessed by some creatures (like flying). I imagine that spellcasters will need some tome or grimoire to learn new spells, but I am not certain if that is too limiting on the players.

-Templates: I need to make some. Elves and dwarves are primary concernes since I do not expect that I will allow my players to make an orc character. Half-breeds are very rare in the setting, but possible by simply buying lower versions of the established templates.

-Feats: Obviously, some Feats are simply not fitting in this setting while others can be added. Are there any suggestions as to what Feats I should definitely leave out.

-Circle: I'm ripping this from Burning Wheel. It'll work as a trait similar to the Saves, based on Charisma. For those not in the know, Circle allows the players to know the right kind of guy at the moment they need that guy's help (or just want a chat). The difficulty is based on how obscure the guy is, how unlikely it is for the character to know him and how helpful he is to the situation. The right kind of guy for the situation (the corrupt guard with the key to the cell), unlike the character (a mage with no common interests), and at this very spot at this very moment (by the main gate at night), would be a high difficulty. This allows the players to pretty much create the NPC they need and gives them a greater part in making the campaign their own. I really like the idea so I really want to include it somehow. Any ideas on how to design the difficulty chart would prove to be helpful.

As I said, I will add to this list if there is anything that I find I need help with. Also, if you have any related suggestions (other than suggesting other systems), feel free to mention them.

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Dark(-ish) Fantasy Setting [WIP]

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:28 pm

Skari-dono wrote:Greetings to all and happy 2012 (and stuff).

-Gold: I want to remove Equipment points and replace them with coins. The classic copper, silver, gold, and platinum range will be used. The Equipment Feat will be removed from the game and instead you can buy 5 pieces of gold for 1 PP at character creation. I want to do this to be able to award players with gold more often. There is a problem though: If I use the standard cost of EP, a bow would cost more than a sword. I need to somehow find an acceptible method of calculating prices. I have thought of combining EP cost and Toughness and somehow work out a price from that number, but I don't want the gear to be too expensive.

Hi.

Can't say that I entirely like this (it is one of the things I like least about Shadowrun), but it probably would work given the system. But swords have always cost less than bows, so i am not seeing where you need to tweak the system on account of that.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Skari-dono
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Skari-dono » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:27 am

Wow, you're absolutely correct. For some reason I was certain that a bow would cost less than a sword. Teaches me not to put too much faith into my own memory I guess :P
That actually simplifies a lot, so thanks for pointing it out to me.

The primary reason why I'm trying to switch over to gold and funds is because I know most of my regular players prefer that. But also because sword & sorcery often includes finding treasure, which I don't think is portraied properly with rewarding EP. We'll see how it works out after I've done some play-testing. Maybe I'll switch back to the EP system afterwards :P

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:52 pm

I think the gold conversion will work fine and I don't even know what kind of alternate to propose. But for sake of making gold feel like it's worth more, maybe have each EP equal "500 gold". Of course that means that one PP would equal 500 gold.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”