Erde

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
ciryon
Groupie
Groupie

Erde

Post by ciryon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:17 am

Hello

I am launching a second M&M campaign in my RPG club. The name of the Campaign is Erde.

Here is the pitch : during WWII, the players characters die in a nazi extermination camp, they were jews, communists, freedom warriors, whatever but with no spécial powers or abilities.

Somehow they are ressurected and awoke in a new world, this world is Erde, the Parrallel Earth where Nazi have won WWII for those familiar with Freedom City and Worlds of Freedom.

They are in a better shape and they have powers (I think they will be PL8 characters) and have been sent there by someone to help the Resistance.

I find the idea attractive but even if this is no important now, I have to think about the "who" and the "why"

Who would do this to the characters and ultimately, why.

- The Norn ? is saving Erde is a cosmical interest ? I do not think so
- The Time Guardians ? They are only concerned by normal Earth timeline so why would they doing this ?
- Dr Tomorrow ? He have not the powers to ressurect deads and phase them elsewhere nor the ability to enhance them
- Overshadow from Erde ? perhaps he want to have a thorn in the edge of Superior..but as the IIIrd Reich is powerful in Erde why would he use "help" from another dimension.
- Omega ? Even if Omega could do this, his goal is entropy, if he helps Erde, it's in order to
- M.Infamy ? Perhaps a kind of joke upon some victims of the Nazis to relive a desesperate fight, but you have to ask M. Infamy and he does not grant a wish to someone who have not asked

Perhaps it it only the side effect of something else other than the willing act of someone

Your ideas about the why and the who are welcome :)

Thanks and regards :)

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Erde

Post by Charles Phipps » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:46 am

My main issue with this is, making people members of a race that would be exterminated, has the potential to be extraordinarily offensive.

Of course, I've had a bit of "Inglorious B------" fun myself when a stereotypical "heroes go back in time to WW2" adventure took up some fun subtext with the fact one of the PCs was Jewish.

The player said he was dropping his oath against killing for the duration.

Then it got messy.

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Sidious » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:29 pm

ciryon wrote:Who would do this to the characters and ultimately, why.

- The Norn ? is saving Erde is a cosmical interest ? I do not think so
- The Time Guardians ? They are only concerned by normal Earth timeline so why would they doing this ?
- Dr Tomorrow ? He have not the powers to resurrect dead and phase them elsewhere nor the ability to enhance them
- Overshadow from Erde ? perhaps he want to have a thorn in the edge of Superior..but as the TIIrd Reich is powerful in Erde why would he use "help" from another dimension.
- Omega ? Even if Omega could do this, his goal is entropy, if he helps Erde, it's in order to
- M.Infamy ? Perhaps a kind of joke upon some victims of the Nazis to relive a desperate fight, but you have to ask M. Infamy and he does not grant a wish to someone who have not asked

I would keep it a mystery. In fact I wouldn't tell them it's an alternate Earth at all. It's Earth period. 60 years is enough of a time gap that something could have happened, of course as described Erde is still stuck in the 40's.

Part of the fun of this kind of thing is the mystery itself. Look at Lost if you want clues about mystery series. I understand the need for a game bible, but not everything needs to be or can be spelled out in a dynamic game.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

Damren
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Damren » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:12 am

You might try broadening the death scenes to include anything the players want to work into their backgrounds. Let them know the basic premise and tell them that one of the role playing features is to script their WWII death into their personal history, as well as what they wake up as.

If you have any players that aren't up to that, you can have them slowly manifest memories of having died as part of the normal play. They might even get flashes of something by looking at a Nazi statue or watching a film/television show.

If your players are familiar with all the causality mechanisms you mentioned (The Norn, The Time Guardians, etc.) I would use them as throw-away theories, even false leads ... perhaps an adventure will involve the likes of Dr. Tomorrow, but the heroes discover he's in the same boat they are ... having 'died' in the Nazi occupation, or being a Nazi operative that remembers another world. Let him, or others like him, be a piece of the puzzle, not the final 'bad guy.'

You might consider coming up with something of your own, or creating an extended plot by which the players from this reality will then travel to the past to 'fix' the timeline ... ala Time Guardians? Or, perhaps a rogue Time Guardian is responsible for the twist and has captured his bretheran in the causality loop & the players must free them, so they might face down their wayward brother/sisters?

I think you have a lot of options. Even to the point of developing something like ... say ... the Keepers, who are this worlds version of the Time Guardians, or an Omni-versal counterpart ... who seek to 'right' things among all the myriad world-lines and have decided to use 'heroes' who died in other realities to accomplish this purpose (maybe think Quantum Leap meets Riverworld)?

AVGN fan
Groupie
Groupie

Post by AVGN fan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:11 pm

Planning to have a actual rescue of this world from the Nazis/Axis powers?

A campaign with a happy ending?

Are the resurrected from Erde or from another Earth?

PL 8 starters in this would might not feel so special if you are using the Time of Crisis Nazi Tech. That stuff was tough!

ciryon
Groupie
Groupie

Post by ciryon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:24 am

Finally, I made a small reboot and start with something more classical : my players are PL8 Mystery Men from Earth Prime WW2 era :)