What kind of fantasy setting would you like to see for M&M 3

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Kouya
Bystander
Bystander

What kind of fantasy setting would you like to see for M&M 3

Postby Kouya » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:54 am

Hi everyone,

As the title says. If somebody would do a fantasy setting (be it GR or any third party) for the new M&M rulesset, what kind of setting and/or genre (of fantasy) would you like to see?

For me, as i said already in an other thread, i think M&M would do heroic and epic fantasy very well. Stuff like Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the fallen or any number of high/epic fantasy anime/manga would fit. Not sure if it'd be easy to license any of those book/manga settings (I think not, might cost quite a bit) but one could do something that has the same atmosphere... take a setting of your liking and file the serial numbers off, so to speak.

For books, i mentioned the Malazan books already...for manga/anime, i think something like Legend of the legendary heroes or Claymore would make good settings, doable with the M&M rulesset (those characters have some amazing skills and powers).

How about you? Be as precise (or vague, if you like ;) ) as you can.

Artking
Groupie
Groupie

Re: What kind of fantasy setting would you like to see for M&M 3

Postby Artking » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:03 am

I want to see ALL the fantasy settings. I want to be able to run the ranged from Swords and Sorcery, all the way to High Fantasy, and beyond to Final Fantasy-like Magitech. Limiting the MM3 Fantasy book to one setting seems like such a waste. Warriors and Warlocks for MM2 focused on Swords and Sorcery, if GR ever does a fantasy book for MM3, I want it to be able to do any fantasy setting I want.

Soul of Mirrors
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Soul of Mirrors » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:41 am

I'm assuming a Marvel 1602-based setting is out, but what about one akin to Avataars, or whatever that fantasy Marvel miniseries was called?

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:41 pm

I'd like to see either a setting based on the sort of mish-mash sanitized European folklore plus name from Arthurian and Greek/Roman legend sometimes used in kids' fantasy show or on the He-Man/Thundercats model where you have a sort of standard fantasy but mixed in a lot of weird creatures/places and have both sword&magic and high technology coexisting.

Kouya
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Kouya » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:35 am

Yeah, mythic stuff would be nice. I read some texts about indian mythology and man that is epic and kind of superheroic ^^

Final Fantasy would also be a nice idea. Maybe one rulebook with FF-ish adaptions and stuff and then different setting-books for the different games. I'd like to see a FF 12 Worldbook. Problem, again, is the license hassle. I think this would be a expensive license if square enix is even interested.

Red Martian
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Red Martian » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:49 am

Keith Baker's Eberron would work well as a M&M 3 fantasy setting.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:18 pm

As those of you who have any knowledge of my Think Tank habits may be able to guess, I pinned my colours to the mast of Charles Phipps Winterwier some time ago; here's hoping that setting receives the fair sailing it deserves! :mrgreen:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Kouya
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Kouya » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:10 am

Yeah, Winterweir would be a nice addendum to the M&M pool. Maybe Charles is willing to comment on a possible release under the OGL and/or "super powered by" license?! I know you commented in the Winterweir thread, Libra, but maybe we can get Charles to reconsider :mrgreen: .

Started reading the Utopia's Avenger manhwa again and I think a M&M adaption could do it justice. There are quite some nice korean comics that have an epic, high-fantasy feel.

Bookwyrm
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Bookwyrm » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:25 pm

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:...on the He-Man/Thundercats model where you have a sort of standard fantasy but mixed in a lot of weird creatures/places and have both sword&magic and high technology coexisting.

This, this, a thousand times this!!

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:28 pm

Yeah, Winterweir would be a nice addendum to the M&M pool. Maybe Charles is willing to comment on a possible release under the OGL and/or "super powered by" license?! I know you commented in the Winterweir thread, Libra, but maybe we can get Charles to reconsider :mrgreen:.

You are an individual of excellent taste, my good Kouya, upon which I congratulate you! :mrgreen:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”