Star Wars 3e

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Locked
Task
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Star Wars 3e

Post by Task » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Image
HYPERSPACE TRAVEL
Traveling in hyperspace is the typical method of getting around in the SWU, but travel times are a contested subject as ships tend to arrive at their destination at the speed of plot. For most purposes, the speed of plot is sufficient for a GM, but when it matters, or for when you just want a bit more detail to your hyperspace jumps, here are some rules you can follow.

All ships with a working hyperdrive are capable of traveling through hyperspace. Hyperdrives have a check required 2 flaw, meaning that an Expertise: Astrogation check must be made with a result of 12 or better for the hyperdrive to be used.

Due to the need to navigate around stellar anomalies, some relatively close jaunts could take quite a bit of time - and makes for a great excuse for trips taking too long :wink:. Travel times can be configured dependent on the result of the Astrogation check.

One Degree of Success: 16 hours
Two Degrees of Success: 8 hours
Three Degrees of Success: 4 hours
Four Degrees of Success: 2 hours

If the target is sufficiently close (within the same star system), a hyperspace trip shouldn't take more than a few minutes (or seconds). Feel free to modify the above to suite your needs - some GM's like the SAGA Edition's extremely long travel times. Each degree of success should cut the travel time in half.

No Navicomputer?
If navigating without a navicomputer (except for a droid using a stored hyperspace route that is less than 12 hours old), a jump to hyperspace is impossible as it would spell instant death for those onboard.

With a damaged navicomputer a hyperspace jump is possible, but the GM rolls for the player to keep the result a secret and applies a -5 to the result. If the roll fails by one degree, nothing happens. If the roll fails by two degrees, the ship enters hyperspace, but will encounter a hyperspace hazard - effect determined by the GM (off course, gravity well pulls the ship back into normal space, collision with a mass shadow, etc).

Things could get messy without your hyperdrive.
Star Wars 3e (Full Conversion)
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Return to Caldera - Alaina Devereux
Valor City - Intrepid

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Star Wars 3e

Post by Task » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:54 pm

Added the Smuggler to the builds section. If anyone has a better picture of an SW smuggler (one that is landscape style, art/video game copy and isn't a named character) I'd be much appreciated. Been looking all morning for that one.
Star Wars 3e (Full Conversion)
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Return to Caldera - Alaina Devereux
Valor City - Intrepid

Doctor Vile
Sidekick
Sidekick
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:22 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars 3e

Post by Doctor Vile » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:15 pm

Task wrote:Added the Smuggler to the builds section. If anyone has a better picture of an SW smuggler (one that is landscape style, art/video game copy and isn't a named character) I'd be much appreciated. Been looking all morning for that one.
I like this one.

http://superhawkins.deviantart.com/art/ ... ggler&qo=0
"If you're not cheating, you're not trying."

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Star Wars 3e

Post by Task » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:30 pm

I do too, but the image is too big. I'd like them a bit smaller. Is there any way to resize images in bbcode? Everything I've tried hasn't worked.
Star Wars 3e (Full Conversion)
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Return to Caldera - Alaina Devereux
Valor City - Intrepid

Doctor Vile
Sidekick
Sidekick
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:22 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars 3e

Post by Doctor Vile » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:49 pm

Task wrote:I do too, but the image is too big. I'd like them a bit smaller. Is there any way to resize images in bbcode? Everything I've tried hasn't worked.
Yeah, I can't help ya there. I'm not hip to all that sort of stuff. Sorry.
"If you're not cheating, you're not trying."

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Star Wars 3e

Post by Task » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:35 pm

Now that I've got a starfighter game going in the game room, I've had a chance to step back for a while and take a look at what I've come up with. For the most part, I wish I hadn't stuck to such a low target for the PLs. After seeing this newly released trailer for SWTOR, I've come to see that Jedi are easily on par with the average superhero, and a master would be a match for someone like Spiderman or Captain America.

I also looked at the Force powers that I wrote up. I feel that they can be streamlined a bit more, creating some specific effects. I'm probably going to rewrite most of them soon. If not, I'll still be rewriting most of the characters in the builds to raise them one or two levels each.
Star Wars 3e (Full Conversion)
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Return to Caldera - Alaina Devereux
Valor City - Intrepid

CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2691
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:24 am
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Star Wars 3e

Post by CelticREI » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Task wrote:
freeclint wrote:I think Mind Trick should have the subtle extra. Especially since the subject doesn't see it as unreasonable.
Good point. I'll add that in.
I think Mind Trick should have Insidious as well, as that makes the outcome of the power hard to notice (far as I know it was never shown someone understanding they were Mind Tricked without a 3rd party pointing it out to them)

Subtle might be flawed though, as it normally* had the hand wave sign as part of it's 'activation'. While those that were being tricked wouldn't notice (see Insidious above) I'm not sure if everyone around wouldn't notice that... so maybe add a Quirk (Subtle and Insidious only to target)?

*=I'm only going off the movies and most of the 'newer' games, I haven't had the chance to search down any comics or sit down with any books sadly. So I might be wrong and that was only in the movies.
*Owl throws down a smoke pellet to cover escape*
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*
Owl: "zzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzz"
Batman: *facepalm*

GM - The Organization On Hold
Celt's Builds, and characters for other games

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Star Wars 3e

Post by Task » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:45 pm

I think Subtle works fine. The hand wave is one rank of subtle - still noticeable by those who know about it, but two degrees would be completely subtle.

Insidious is possible, but most people remember later that they were doing something that didn't feel quite right, in the expanded universe, at any rate.
Star Wars 3e (Full Conversion)
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Return to Caldera - Alaina Devereux
Valor City - Intrepid

CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2691
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:24 am
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Star Wars 3e

Post by CelticREI » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:20 pm

Task wrote:I think Subtle works fine. The hand wave is one rank of subtle - still noticeable by those who know about it, but two degrees would be completely subtle.

Insidious is possible, but most people remember later that they were doing something that didn't feel quite right, in the expanded universe, at any rate.
And there ye have it, the reason I put in my note that I've only seen the movies ^_^ Now I'll just *hand wave in front of Celt's face* ... not sell death sticks and go home and rethink my life...
;)
*Owl throws down a smoke pellet to cover escape*
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*
Owl: "zzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzz"
Batman: *facepalm*

GM - The Organization On Hold
Celt's Builds, and characters for other games

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Star Wars 3e

Post by Task » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:58 pm

CelticREI wrote:
Task wrote:I think Subtle works fine. The hand wave is one rank of subtle - still noticeable by those who know about it, but two degrees would be completely subtle.

Insidious is possible, but most people remember later that they were doing something that didn't feel quite right, in the expanded universe, at any rate.
And there ye have it, the reason I put in my note that I've only seen the movies ^_^ Now I'll just *hand wave in front of Celt's face* ... not sell death sticks and go home and rethink my life...
;)
:lol: I appreciate the reviews though, as I'm not entirely happy with the way the Force powers are done right now. I'm going to streamline them a bit, and I'm looking at the new gameplay stuff from SWTOR for insight. It's a challenge though, since I'm also trying to maintain the broad range of capabilities that the Jedi possess.
Star Wars 3e (Full Conversion)
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Return to Caldera - Alaina Devereux
Valor City - Intrepid

Doctor Vile
Sidekick
Sidekick
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:22 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars 3e

Post by Doctor Vile » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:28 am

Think you could possibly stat up a Transport type ship?

Specifically, the: Fury-class Imperial interceptor
"If you're not cheating, you're not trying."

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Star Wars 3e

Post by Task » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:49 am

Doctor Vile wrote:Think you could possibly stat up a Transport type ship?

Specifically, the: Fury-class Imperial interceptor
Both the Smuggler and Bounty Hunter have stats for transport ships. For the Fury, I'd use the XS Class (found under the Smuggler) with the following adjustments.

Add PL10 Proton Cannons (found in the Starships write-ups).
Add Strike Foils as a feature.

Strike Foils: Gain a +2 Circumstance bonus to Vehicles Checks while the traveling at less than the ship's full flight speed.
Star Wars 3e (Full Conversion)
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Return to Caldera - Alaina Devereux
Valor City - Intrepid

Doctor Vile
Sidekick
Sidekick
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:22 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars 3e

Post by Doctor Vile » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:53 am

Task wrote:
Doctor Vile wrote:Think you could possibly stat up a Transport type ship?

Specifically, the: Fury-class Imperial interceptor
Both the Smuggler and Bounty Hunter have stats for transport ships. For the Fury, I'd use the XS Class (found under the Smuggler) with the following adjustments.

Add PL10 Proton Cannons (found in the Starships write-ups).
Add Strike Foils as a feature.

Strike Foils: Gain a +2 Circumstance bonus to Vehicles Checks while the traveling at less than the ship's full flight speed.
Yeap, I totally forgot about those having stats for Transports...my bad.
"If you're not cheating, you're not trying."

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Star Wars 3e

Post by Task » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:54 am

My time is being stretched thin, but I'll be starting up a 2.0 thread for this conversion. I'm very pleased with the way this one worked out, but there are changes I would make across the board. So, it's time for a second edition ;).

Instead of simply rewriting everything, I'm going to stat up characters in the Roll Call forum and suggest rules changes where necessary. This will allow for better cohesiveness throughout the game, rather than forcing character archetypes to fit within the rules that I've created.

Not a whole lot is going to change though, and I'll still be using most of what is featured here. This will primarily be to allow myself to build characters better.
Star Wars 3e (Full Conversion)
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Return to Caldera - Alaina Devereux
Valor City - Intrepid

legallow
Bystander
Bystander
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:19 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: Star Wars 3e

Post by legallow » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:34 pm

I just wanted to say that I think what you've done here is pretty awesome. It's really made me consider changing my SAGA campaign to MM3e. Will you be posting a link to your 2.0 forum?

Locked