Halt Evil Doer! 3.0 - Even more Zaziness!

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Halt Evil Doer! 3.0 - Even more Zaziness!

Post by Charles Phipps » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:50 pm

Amazing Libra, truly amazing. That will be hard to do and is an excellent place to end our thread. I'll start a new one tomorrow.

One thing I will mention about the Black Wings of the World is a rather unfortunate fact of Halt Evil Doer! which is the fact that Alex has ANOTHER reason to try and assemble all of these various Black Wings into one single organization.

Bluntly, Alex is trying to save lives.

Remember in The Dark Knight Returns how Batman had to deal with a bunch of idiot imitators with guns? That's a VERY common problem in the world of Heroic Earth. George Timons actually had to start trademarking names left and right as a means of discouraging too many foolish amateurs.

However, between amateurs and superheroes, are a lot of people who are GOOD but not GREAT. Ex-military men, cops, intelligence agents, and self-trained folk who are simply not prepared for the level of danger associated with the various groups. Plenty of Metamen and self-motivated George Timons types just don't have the kind of backup to pull them out of PHANTOM's range.

Hundreds of superheroes have died at the hands of various criminal syndicates and groups since they didn't have the backup needed or equipment.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Nice stuff... It saddens me that I simply have not been able to add more for HED!
Impeach the peach!

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Post by greycrusader » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Yes, that seems exactly the right explanation (it shoud be, as you are the setting's creator, Charles!). I figure Mighty Wingman is quite good in his own right, but not at the level of Alex Timmons or Lady Grayhaven; he could take on an '"average" vampire minion or three, but if he goes up against Vlad one on one...well, sadly the Undead Lord would likely have one more blood-slave. Fortunately he has the whole Blackwing Bridgade and a Turkish paramilitary troop to back him up.

Valravn likewise simply wouldn't be a match for most of the villains Blackwing II regularly contends with, at least not directly. She is aware enough to mostly target more human criminals. However, Cendrik is a BEAST for a non-metaman, though his fighting style is crude (he is in need of training if he ever wanted to hang with the really big boys). The Inuit is the only reason Valravn has survived encounters with a few of the Arctic Circle's supernatural monsters, though her quick wits and almost unearthly affinity for the bleak landscape have also enabled the "Blackwing Woman" to dispatch a couple blood-suckers and quite a restless ghost.

Red Kestrel has great potential, but is biting off more than he can chew-this is one reason he eagerly accepted Alex Timmons' offer. He is mostly self-trained (though his natural aptitudes are considerable) and a bit under-equipped. Black Eagle is a well past his prime, even considering his strict physical fitness regime (still his deductive and espionage talents are unquestionable, and the man can shoot the wings of a fly). Resplendent Tigress could be the greatest crime-fighter in all India, except she cannot resist stealing and (worse) showing-off for the press-even when in the middle of a battle!

Alex is going to have his hands full.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:33 am

Thank you one and all for your kind comments - I am pleased and relieved to find that my article has been judged a worthy closing act for the HED! 3.0 thread.

Let's hope that my opening act on 'Halt Evil Doer! IV - A New Niche' will be as well received! (Now, where did I leave those notes on the Protectrons and Conquestrons?). :mrgreen:

I'll take advantage of my curtain call to answer your various comments in a little while and in more detail.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Nice stuff... It saddens me that I simply have not been able to add more for HED!
I feel the same way about Black Hole, Winterwier, DC/Marvel - and sometimes even HED! during my less productive periods. I just try to wait patiently for inspiration and make the most of it when it strikes me (and read prolifically so as to acquire some potential grist for the mill!). :)

By the way, since India seems to be your beat, feel free to comment on The Resplendent Tigress. :D
Libra, I honestly do not know if I am more impressed with your Blackwing Intl organization write-up or your knowledge of foreign languages and phrases. Massively good work on both!
I thank you for your compliments Grey Crusader, but must confess that most of the foreign language elements in my article were researched on Wikipedia - and most of the names were generated by this generator, which has saved me a good deal of trouble, since names are not normally my strong point.
It's a tool worth a dictionary's weight in gold, but I must remind those of you planning to use it to look up the naming customs of a country or a people before generating a character name - you will generally have a much easier time coming up with a far more fitting name.

With that in mind:
BTW: Libra, if I may ask-what does Dewaruci translate to in English?
Your guess is as good as mine! :D

I confess that I took a fancy to the name when I saw it on the Wikipedia list of Indonesian Naval vessels (I've noted elsewhere that military vehicles named a country make a fine source of superhero names!) and further research on the page dedicated to the vessel in question convinced me I was on the right track.
Also, what would be a more correct German translation of Night Hound (since apparently Nicht Hund is literally Black Dog instead)?
In fact 'Nacht Hund' does literally translate into English as 'Night Hound' but I thought that I would translate the name into English as 'Black Dog' as an homage to the old English tradition of Black Dog sightings under a variety of names.

Given that these particular folkloric creatures (folklore provides another fine source of super-codenames!) are about one step removed from a Hell-hound I thought the name would fit the spirit of the character.

I don't actually speak German (although I believe that Neo-Paladin does), so please don't accept my word without question when it comes to foreign languages! :mrgreen:
Lavi is urging more direct intervention, as is Batin, ironically enough.
Well they can't disagree about EVERYTHING! - although they do their best, they're both only human.
His father George, on the other hand, has come out of retirement on at least two occasions to directly aid the young, brave foes of the Columbian cocaine cartels.
George remembers El Cazador as he was, a good man who did his best in a bad place and at the worst possible time. He also remembers him as he was after the House of Serpents got to him.

General Venom's Colombian assets are at the top of the Black-Wings International hit-list.
The Canuck Crusader is not much of a joiner by nature, preferring to pick out his own missions. He's too much into brawling, carousing, prowling the Canadian hinterlands, and hitting the gym between adventures to attend meetings anyway. Of course he acknowledges the Blackwing legacy (if only privately, to himself), and he would be more than happy to aid any of the others should they cross the Canadian border on a case.

The only problem would be trying to avoid his 'delicate' hints that he knows what everyone else should be doing even better than they do themselves! (also suggestions that the gang grab some steaks and even more beers to celebrate afterwards. This sounds harmless enough, but at some point after the first twenty bears or so he's going to try and replicate the Great Pancake-and-Beefsteak-Drowned-in-Syrup experiment of '84. Aristide and George, being connoisseurs of the first order, still have nightmares about the last time).
Besides, he's semi-annoyed enough about all the Hero Force One missions he gets drafted into undertaking.
No kidding - growing old disgracefully is a full-time hobby! 8)
The Law Poet has no intention of becoming Alex Timmons' subordinate. Besides, he is involved already with both his own heroic lineage and the national Swedish superhero team (small in members but not insignificant in power).
Hmmm ... a Swedish super-team: I'll team up with you to flesh them out if you help me flesh out o Guardioes da Independencia of Brazil and I'll throw in The Southern Cross Seven* for free. 8)
*South Africa's premier super-team since the Collapse of Apartheid and the defeat of the Praetoria Commando (Special Service), the notorious 'Praetorian Guard' at the hands of a coalition of Superhuman Freedom Fighters and the Justicars (during the course of one of their last pre-Psychotic operations).

I may even flesh them out if you play your cards right. :wink:
She has accepted a sort of resevere member status, agreeing to the odd mission in Scandinavia in return for calling on aid whenver she comes up against a threat Valravn cannot handle.
Doubtless Vainamo is anticipating a certain increase in meeting with one of his most striking neighbours - Valravn is wondering if she should be anticipating them too. :wink:
Her aide Cendrik would actually much prefer to be mixing things up on a grand scale; the massive Inuit pictures hunting down criminals across the globe, as his storied ancestor tracked the bear-god across the Arctic Circle.
He and The Winter Watchman would make a pair - and Minsk isn't TOO far from Scandanavia ... 8)
Night Hound is persona non grata to Blackwing Int, his methods making him almost a stain on their honor. He is tolerated (rather than hunted down) because of his guerilla war against Death Mask III, but a few of the older members still suspect him in the disappearance of Germany's Black Rider, despite no conclusive evidence.
Here's a confession - 'Der Schwarzenritter' was actually my stab at generating a German translation of 'The Dark Knight' ...

No, I'm not shameless, but I AM trying!
The Costumed Champion of Germany had no love for his far more murderous Central European counterpart, and the two clashed more than once when Night Hound strayed inside the German Republic's borders.
For some reason I imagine that these clashes would be at the instigation of the former - it would be an interesting subversion if Nacht-Hund did indeed know the final fate of German's Secret Champion, but NOT because he was the one who killed him.

I'll have to puzzle this one out.
All my best.
My best to you and yours also! :D
Also Mexico's heroes are kinda busy trying to prevent Mexico dissolving into a bunch of Vampire and Narco controlled states.
True, but that doesn't mean they don't need some downtime and the Big Black-Wings International debate gives them something to laugh about, which in these times is nothing to sneer at.
Amazing Libra, truly amazing. That will be hard to do and is an excellent place to end our thread. I'll start a new one tomorrow.
Compliments can get you anything you like - including more articles, at least once I've worked out which thread I want to post in next: I have a vague idea in my head to do something for Green Arrow.
Bluntly, Alex is trying to save lives.
That thought had occurred to me also; even so, one suspects that such a concentration of Costumed Crimefighters is a formidable asset indeed to the White Hats, even when not all of them are World-beaters (and some of them ARE - like Black Jaguar of Brazil, who's honestly a bit of a machine even by the obsessive standards of Costumed Crimefighters, or Batin and Lavi in the Middle East - when they're busy working together rather than shooting the breeze - as well as the 'Law Poet' lineage throughout Sweden, not forgetting The Winter Watchman and Black-Wing II himself).

At the very least PHANTOMs year isn't going to improve any time soon if these folks have anything to say about it.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Black-Wings International!

Post by Charles Phipps » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:51 am

Libra wrote: Alexander Timmons, like his biological sire, is clearly a man with Ambition to spare as well as the genius and the willpower necessary to make his ambitions far more than a mere pipe-dream (given enough time, money and willing helpers): thankfully, like his adoptive father and unlike Kenneth Kane, the second Black-Wing's ambition is for the betterment of Mankind both in theory AND in practice.
Alex is one of the few individuals with Hypercognition Disorder without the "malign" part. He's still got a huge amount of changes to make to the world but so far he's actually having great success fixing the planet. Recent events (in thread IV) show that he's benefiting from the breakup of the major syndicates.
Unfortunately Alex's Ambition remains so immense that it can easily be noticed by anyone who happens to find themselves on the same planet with him for any length of time, so immense that it sometimes smothers his best-laid plans under it’s sheer mass - so immense, in fact, that it recently struck Alex that he simply cannot achieve all that he desires with only those Allies available to him at the present time.
The absence of major superheroes is something that, thanks to you guys, Alex is slowly correcting the imbalance of. It's STILL 50-1 but that's better than 100 to 1.

:)
Yes, that's right, the man who masterminds the operations of one of the most powerful corporations in Human History (Raven Enterprises), a man who has both The Patriots AND the Tomorrow Society on speed-dial decided that he needed a few more good men and women.
Raven Enterprises is RIDICULOUSLY huge but it's actually reaching the point even Alex can't micromanage it. His last attempt to build an AI to manage it for him didn't work out so well (EVIL!) and Ultramind 2.0 has better things to do.
In all honesty, this time Alex has an even better point than even his wilder ideas usually do: while The Patriots and The Tomorrow Society do all they can, The Patriots aren't so numerous as they once were (even with reserve members added, their numbers peak well shy of two dozen these days), what the Tomorrow Society makes up for in numbers they lack in party discipline and Raven Industries employees are just relatively ordinary folk trying to make a living for the most part, not superheroes.
Alex is attempting to expand the Patriots exponentially but, presently, the Tomorrow Society is now an illegal organization with much of his efforts to legitimize that group having gone down the drain. Of course, the trick to good Xanatos Gambits is the ability to think on your feet.
There's also the small problem that every single one of these organizations (even the Tomorrow Society, whose air of intense privacy attracts investigative journalists like a moth to a flame) is at the present time far, far too public to take into account.
Black Wing and the Insiders!

Not that Alex hates publicity (there are a numbers of reasons he's managed to acquire what might well be the worlds first Open Secret Identity and stopping to smile for the cameras is just the first), but he's noticed recently that it has been far, far too long since all those conspiracies gnawing at the woodwork of Heroic Earth saw the shadows they habitually lurk in as a potential source of dreadful risk, as well as useful concealment.
In fact, Alex is actually already forming a FRANCHISE of Black Wings around himself to compensate for the fact that Falconcrest City was largely unprotected. Now, PCs can be their own version of Batman! Alex, himself, is starting to play a larger game entirely.
There also remains the fact that Alex has been looking for some means of distracting all those sneaking supervillains from their latest plans to attack Raven Enterprises for some while now, as well as the recent revival of his interest in running a team of his very own creation to consider (he has fond hopes that these agents will be more at his beck and call than the Patriots, but he's more than willing to be realistic if you’re firm enough with him).
Alex has managed to expand his organization and network of influence (Foundation for World Harmony, Raven Enterprises, the Federal Government, Patriots, Tomorrow Society, and now the Black Wings) while Death Mask is shrinking his group. Why? Because while the Lords of Evil don't share power - Lords of Good are very good at delegating.
Alex loved their enthusiasm, but wasn't quite so keen on playing Junior Partner to anyone: however it must be remembered that this particular bunch of old heroes are sneaky, SCARY men and Alex is (in fact) only human. Also George Timmons threatened to become involved if Black-Wing II continued to support such a promising, so Alex decided to concede the senior role in the organization to the Old Guard with good grace before they made him re-assume the mantle of Dawn-Wing.
It helps to also remember that Alex possesses the mind-boggling ARROGANCE of Tony Stark while possessing Batman's general skill set. As a result, he's quite good at overthinking things when people don't react QUITE the way he expected and the Old Guard is quite good at grounding him.
Black-Wing II and the second Winter Watchman, their premier field agents (at this point their ONLY field agents, officially at least) have been kept busy trotting across the Globe (much to the amusement of Aliaksiej, who considers himself something of a stay-at-Home superhero) seeking out old friends, striking up working relationships with newfound allies and generally chasing down any potential candidate who shows the right mix of skill, dedication or simply seems to show the proper promise.
The humiliating Fall of Battle Czar and the destruction of Dragon Industries has opened up a huge amount of crime as well as opportunities for Russia to produce its next generation of superheroes. Heroes who are as opposed to the Vampire Nation and Red Spider.
Martin agrees - and while he loves his parents, he intends to make his own way in life even as he is proud to follow in their footsteps!
[/quote]

Ole!

But yes, I'll get to the rest of your post in this thread soon! Great job, Libra! Looking forward to your thoughts on the new state of the world!

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:08 pm

You shall have them in not too long a while! :wink:

I shall also answer all your comments when you have your thoughts posted in their entirety. :D

Kysodeus
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Kysodeus » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:59 pm

My mum is from Uruguay, and I was wondering if their is a Black Wing from over there, and, if so, how does he fare with Argentina's and Brazil's members.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Well Kysodeus, while Uruguay does have Superheroes and Villains (although it's not a regional power in that respect, as Argentina, Brazil and Chile are), I'm not very well-acquainted with them since they tend to stick closer to their homeland than most and most of my knowledge is second-hand, so feel free to correct me if necessary.

By which I mean post your own ideas in HED! IV, should you feel the inclination to do so! :mrgreen:
Uruguay, being a more prosperous nation than most in the Americas and something of a success story, is the site of the Foundation for World Harmony's South America HQ which makes it Target #1 so far as the likes of PHANTOM are concerned as well as a primary target for those looking to destabilise the Rio Plata region.

Given that the majority of Uruguay's military are deployed abroad as UN peacekeepers, it's perhaps unsurprising that the fairly-small community of local superheroes are looked to as bulwarks who can shore up the potential weak spots in that nation's defences left by the absence of it's soldiers. The Government, with this in mind, supports them to the hilt and expects a great deal from them.

Black-Wings International correspondingly hasn't had much luck recruiting a local representative, since Guardian Invisible (the local superhero whose style most closely approximates that of Black-Wing) is a hard man to find and even harder to persuade into agreeing to become part of an organisation which expects it's members to operate outside their homelands on a regular basis.

Still, he's not unwilling - just reluctant - and he apparently harbours an inclination to prove himself every inch the equal of El Libertador which shows every sign of growing into a full-blown friendly rivalry, so who knows what the future might bring.

Black Jaguar of Brazil, on the other hand, has yet to meet the Invisible Guardian because he keeps himself and almost everyone else around him far too busy to leave Brazil except in the event of an emergency.

Uruguay's superhuman community generally keeps friendly relations with their Argentine and Brazilian neigbours, although this has yet to go beyond information sharing and local support should any cross into their country in the course of a pursuit. Relations are polite, although not always congenial and the Argentine superhero community tend to inspire a spirit of competition in their neighbours like nothing else on Earth!
Guardian Invisible is - unsurprisingly - invisible and a practiced crime-fighter, although he has something of a bad habit of leaning on his invisibility and somewhat neglecting his fighting skills, preferring to sneak around his enemies, out-think them and let the Authorities do the work of arresting them.

He's rather easy-going, but competent and dilligent when working a case.

Kysodeus
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Kysodeus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:44 pm

Where can I find HED IV? This is a brilliant setting, by the way.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Kysodeus wrote:Where can I find HED IV? This is a brilliant setting, by the way.
Thread underneath this.

Kysodeus
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Kysodeus » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:41 pm

Ah. Thanks.

dirkgentry2000
Zealot
Zealot

Post by dirkgentry2000 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:52 pm

hey HED faithful -

I'm scheming to do a series of WW2-related releases for M&M. Probably a combination of adventures and supplements (team books or whatnot).

It occurred to me that it'd be a lot of fun to do an adventure with some HED characters - since there's never really been an adventure published in the HED'verse.

(Obviously, all characters etc would remain the sole property of Charles and the adventure would state that plainly.)

So - thought I'd run the idea up the flagpole here and see if anyone agreed that it could be fun

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:53 pm

Yeah, I'd wanted to write up some adventures myself, but never got around to it...

Btw, head over to 4.0 for further discussion. :)
Impeach the peach!