Halt Evil Doer! 3.0 - Even more Zaziness!

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Halt Evil Doer! 3.0 - Even more Zaziness!

Post by greycrusader » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:30 pm

MightyDavidson wrote:Surely Denmark can do better then....Blackwing Woman. I mean the character sounds great don't get me wrong but she NEEDS a better name.
Well, allright then. I admit it could be better...but since I'm headed to bed, I'll invite you (or anyone else) to come up with a finer nom de guerre for her.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

dirkgentry2000
Zealot
Zealot

Post by dirkgentry2000 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:16 am

MightyDavidson wrote:Surely Denmark can do better then....Blackwing Woman. I mean the character sounds great don't get me wrong but she NEEDS a better name.
Lady Blackwing has a nice ring to it.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:19 am

Grey Crusader I've done a bit of digging and discovered that Danish folkore contains a creature called the Valravn ("Raven of the Slain"): I happen to think this would make very fine name for your 'Black-Wing Woman of Denmark' Grey Crusader.

Read this article and we'll see if you agree! :D

By the way, excellent work on your latest Black-Wings! (and thank you also, Daibhid C, for contributing something worthwhile in your own right). :mrgreen:

I must warn you, however, that I cannot possibly include ALL the characters you've posted as part of my upcoming article (at least not until or unless I type up a second part!), mostly because they seem admirably whole and entire unto themselves - but partly because I want to keep the list below twenty strong so that I can get it finished sooner than later! (not to mention contribute at least a one or two characters of my own devising or at least save face by develop those character concepts you've posted which actually NEED it - few indeed). :wink:

I will however note that I like them all and shall take them aboard, most certainly keeping them in mind for future use. 8)
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:20 am

By the way Dirk, it's good to see you! :D

I trust that you and your projects are doing well?
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

dirkgentry2000
Zealot
Zealot

Post by dirkgentry2000 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:43 am

Libra wrote:By the way Dirk, it's good to see you! :D

I trust that you and your projects are doing well?
I try :)

Right now, I'm running a Kickstarter for a series of short supers adventures for the ICONS system

Of course, if there was enough interest - we could convert it to M&M...

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:43 pm

Your adventures sound Gleefully Awesome! :wink:

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:57 pm

Still, since I committed the unenforced error, perhaps once the Blackwing Intl material is finished, I'll create a Johnny Drake, likely as an occasional fill-in for the Horseman's role. That will likely wait for the 4th HED thread.
Perhaps not - all the way back on the 1st edition HED! thread Charles Phipps posted a character profile of The then-Headless Horseman which mentioned one John Milton Miller, the only known natural son of 'Lucien Drake' - and therefore the poor soul destined to inherit the power of the 'Demon Rider' should anything permenantly remove Karl Mueller from the equation (a situation he isn't very happy with).

If you want to know more, I'll reproduce the original character description here and throw in a link to my own take on the character. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter! :D
John Milton Miller: Karl's son. Karl was unaware that he could even have children but it happened anyway. John is the product of a liason during the day in the 1980s. John's mother was a young street hooker that Karl rescued from her pimp. John has none of Karl's powers but for a supernatural sense that prevents him from living a normal life. John doesn't have much of an affection for his father and spends most of his time investigating occult crimes. Karl has a lot of regrets regarding John but doesn't really know how to make it up for them. John is actually starting to look older than his father and its rather annoying him.

If Karl were ever to be destroyed, all of his powers would transfer to John. A fact that has occurred a few times when Karl has come close to being destroyed forever. It's something both are anxious to avoid.

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... start=1095
Grey Crusader, a thought occurs to me regarding the 'Blackwing Brigade' - could the local analogues of Divinos, Steel Commando, Splotch, Ultimatum and Ymir actually be members of this particular formation? (not to mention given wing-themed names and costumes to boot!).

For some reason I imagine that these imitators are actually Metahuman stunt-men (not necessarily B- or C-List metamen either), who represent the Turkish Film Industrie's most significant contribution to the team.
Sweden (and also Finland)
One more thought - could Law Poet be a sverigefinnar a Finnish-speaking Swede, part of the minority who dwell in that particular country?

It occurs to me that, if this is the case, he might very well be known as Vainamo (minstrel) amongst his own people - and it's almost certain that he can carry a tune on the kantele! (a kind of zither native to Finland).

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Yes, unfortunately, 250+ years of being an incarnate ghost has turned the spirit of Lucien Drake into something that's closer to a demon than a ghost. A living spirit of retribution, not QUITE vengeance, Lucien Drake will survive IN A FORM should he ever be killed physically. His current form is due to Merlin's spell having raised his mortal body from the dead.

Poor John Milton will thus get possessed by his dad then.

Ironically, he has the potential to trigger the power anyway. I imagine they contrast like Johnny Blaze and Danny Ketch.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:06 pm

Probably even more, since I imagine Karl Mueller as utterly blue-collar Heavy-Metal Gothic Literature, while John Milton Miller does his best to be white-collar urban fantasy-legal thriller! :wink:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:09 pm

Libra wrote:Probably even more, since I imagine Karl Mueller as utterly blue-collar Heavy-Metal Gothic Literature, while John Milton Miller does his best to be white-collar urban fantasy-legal thriller! :wink:
Karl Mueller is all about slaughtering evil.

John enjoys breaking the contracts of the damned and thinking around the evil. He has John Constantine's ability to trick every imaginable demon but lacks his more repulsive qualities.

(Of course, he has failed and failed spectacularly in the past as well).

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:19 pm

True, all of it - although I'm quite fond of imagining John Milton as having certain traits of Matt Murdock as well, for some reason. :)

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Phrozen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:40 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:
Libra wrote:Probably even more, since I imagine Karl Mueller as utterly blue-collar Heavy-Metal Gothic Literature, while John Milton Miller does his best to be white-collar urban fantasy-legal thriller! :wink:
Karl Mueller is all about slaughtering evil.

John enjoys breaking the contracts of the damned and thinking around the evil. He has John Constantine's ability to trick every imaginable demon but lacks his more repulsive qualities.

(Of course, he has failed and failed spectacularly in the past as well).
Every contract has an exit clause. Some are just trickier then others.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Phrozen wrote:Every contract has an exit clause. Some are just trickier then others.
AH! A chance to explain Diabolic Contracts in HED!.

That's pretty much the nature of diabolic contracts. Lucifer and the other Lords of Nightmare had to give mortals a set of circumstances that, by Celestial Law, they are capable of performing in order to invalidate their contract. So, you can't ask a lawyer to move the moon or so on. Though, the option to ask superheroes for help has expanded the ability of Devils to take advantage of mortals.

Of course, there's ALSO a "doom clause" for Devils. Basically, take the advantages of all of their contracts and then try to opt out of their contracts when its time to pay the piper. Why would they do this? Well, the people most likely to sell their soul to the Devil tend to be scumbags, obviously.

The Doom clause means that for already evil souls, the "escape clause" usually is something horrible like give a soul in place of yours (so the repentant usually need someone TRULY self-sacrificing) or something much worse.

The other option, which is used for people like Felix Faust who would GLEEFULLY sacrifice babies by the hundreds if it meant a few extra bonuses to his Conjuring Score, is horrible curses for the breaking of the contract. Usually, for heroic souls, this is something they just have to suck up. "Never know sleep, rest, or the arms of a lover" is just the kind of thing they'd have to do.

There's also ONE more advantage that most people don't realize (it's written in the contract only a symbol only a demon can recognize) that if a mortal making the contract is ALREADY evil in a way that would damn him, the Demon holding his contract can call his soul to hell at will.

This nullifies all powers, strength, or ability to resist so if someone were to get MAMMALOTH (PL 20) to make a contract then he could be dragged off to hell with no problem. It's an ability enforced by the nature of the universe itself.

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Phrozen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:34 pm

Tyburn Tree

A modern day highwayman. The Gentleman Rogue. King of the Blade. Many nicknames follow Tyburn Tree as he travels the world. Always found where the rich are because the poor have nothing to steal. Much more then a simple stick up artist, Tree has robbed armored convoys, museums, art galleries, and jewel exchanges. Always unfailingly polite and charming. Tyburn relies on more then his social graces, his abilities with a sword are almost unmatched. Preferring a rapier and cloak style but Tyburn has shown mastery of many blades and side arms. To date his identity has not been revealed publicly.

Expectations are a powerful thing. The weight of expectations can crush a person. For Katie King, expectations were astronomical. She was the best in the world. Expected to not only medal in all three fencing classes but win gold. She was Great Britain's best hope for gold. When the Olympics rolled around though Katie cracked. She was eliminated early in all three styles.

Returning to London, Katie was crushed. Not only had she not lived up to the pressure. She had let down everybody and the media was letting her have it. Katie spiraled into self destruction. She let her training lax, she went out every night to get hammered. One fateful night she went out drinking as usual when she found that the crowd at the particular nightclub was more interested in jeering her then partying. Stumbling out of the pub Katie made her way down to Tyburn to the site of the old gallows. There she stumbled into the spirits or drunken hallucinations of the famous highwaymen that died there. They suggested a way to get back at those that jeered her.

Katie practiced harder now but not for medals. It was to relieve the rich from their riches. Putting lifts in her boots, and armoring the upper body of her costume. Katie struck out more as a man then a woman with the costume on. A wig and voice modulator hidden in her mask complete the ruse. She sound found the work exciting. The adrenaline rush was incredible. Life or death based purely on her skill, it was better then any competition. The money wasn't bad either. Adopting the name of the place she felt she was reborn as her nom de guerre she traveled the world. She has crossed swords with Black Wing and many Black Wings of the World, Lady Grayhaven, The Corbie (whom she finds particularly charming), Lord Grayhaven, and various other figures. At this point she has enough of a stash to retire comfortably with a new identity, but really she is having to much fun to give the life of crime up.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Post by greycrusader » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:47 pm

A very outstanding and appropriate villainess, with a "flavor" this is distinctly of the United Kingdom (though I suppose Libra would be the final arbiter on that one).

I definitely see her mixing things up with Lady Grayhaven, Crimson Wing, and UK heroes such as the Corbie and Robin Hood moreso than the American Blackwing.

All my best.

PS: I'll be back in a day or so with my final Blackwing International entry, a Blackwing of Death Mask III's own Ruritania.
That will be my last contribution to the third HED! thread, while I hope for a fourth in the near future.
Last edited by greycrusader on Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...