Earth-47

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Earth-47

Post by Neo-Paladin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:34 pm

Will do in the next days if I get the time...I'll edit the history post accordingly so look it up from time to time.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:56 am

Long overdue comments.

* I like the Workshop, it's nice to see a international team with some pizazz. Too often, they just amount to nothing more than something that consists of national stereotypes and, unsurprising, it falls to someone in Europe to pull us out of the rutt of them.

* Sternenstaub intrigues me because you have to wonder what, essentially, a T-1000 sees in being a "shallow party girl." Can she enjoy any of the lifestyle or does she simply enjoy it vicariously?

* I like Dynamo as well, since he has to be the sort of fellow who has a very different perspective on superheroism than everyone else (mostly being an adult before the radical changes the nation underwent in the 1990s).

* Maschinist is also intriguing since I love technopaths of all sorts.

* I'm surprised Templar isn't named Teutonic Knight but, then again, why does EVERY team have to wear their nationality on their shirt? "It's not like I'm going to forget I'm German!"

* Wunderkind definitely has a sympathetic backstory as well. I think all nerds have body image issues at some point.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:58 am

The Necrarchy definitely shows its origins in Necroscope but that's not necessarily a bad thing. There's nothing like undead Tyranids (as Leliel pointed out above) to provide player characters with something that they can beat the crap out of guilt free.

A nice supernatural-science fiction menace there.

I salute your efforts there.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:22 am

Charles Phipps wrote: Long overdue comments.

* I like the Workshop, it's nice to see a international team with some pizazz. Too often, they just amount to nothing more than something that consists of national stereotypes and, unsurprising, it falls to someone in Europe to pull us out of the rutt of them.

* Sternenstaub intrigues me because you have to wonder what, essentially, a T-1000 sees in being a "shallow party girl." Can she enjoy any of the lifestyle or does she simply enjoy it vicariously?

* I like Dynamo as well, since he has to be the sort of fellow who has a very different perspective on superheroism than everyone else (mostly being an adult before the radical changes the nation underwent in the 1990s).

* Maschinist is also intriguing since I love technopaths of all sorts.

* I'm surprised Templar isn't named Teutonic Knight but, then again, why does EVERY team have to wear their nationality on their shirt? "It's not like I'm going to forget I'm German!"

* Wunderkind definitely has a sympathetic backstory as well. I think all nerds have body image issues at some point.
Thank you for your comments, much appreciated.
Sternenstaub has the ability to enjoy things like food, drink and other physical pleasures if she wants to. Like all of OMNUS' creations, she is half a machine and half a magical creature. Also, one of the reasons she became so empathic and defected lies in the fact that, unbeknownst to OMNUS. she has a soul.
She is also somewhat easily impressed and has taken up the "party girl" identity to emulate other heroes whose public identity became known eventually.

Expect Dynamo to always be the one who says " Wait a moment here!" whenever the group is about to charge somewhere half-assed.

The main reason he called himself Templer? It's short and to the point. Especially inside his armor, he much much favours the direct approach.

The thing is, he is not even that much of a nerd in the traditional sense(that's Maschinist), more like a genius capable of excelling in any field he applies himself to. In conversation, he is a very pleasant, interesting fellow, though his bitterness shines through at certain times.
Last edited by Neo-Paladin on Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:32 am

The last major hero team after that it's villains again ;)

The Defenders of Peace
Formerly billed as the islamic answer to the teams formed in the West, the Defenders of Peace are trapped between a rock and a hard place at the moment, unsure of where their loyalties are supposed to lie and beleagured by former allies and enemies alike. Formed by Egypt in 1974 as a reaction to the disastrous result of the Jom-Kippur War and the involvement of the first superhero on Israel's side, Hod the Thunder, he Defenders were originally intended as a means to counter the growing influence of Western culture and to stop the involvement of foreign superhumans into matters of islamic states.
Uhm...yes...it did not work so well.
While most of those recruited were faithful servants of Allah, their first loyalty was to the people. After all, most superpowered radicals were already in a group, the New Jyhad, with whom the Defenders clashed practically from day one - Caliph is said to still have phantom pains from the thrashing he received at the hands of the Father of Peace...
Also, the group proved to be fiercely independent, ignoring government influences as well as political or religious pressure, going even so far as to ask foreign heroes for help when they got in over their heads.
On the political side, there were few things anyone could do against the new team who took matter like the peace process in the Middle East into their own hands, in 1980 threatening both sides with forced total disarmament if the fighting did not stop. And while occasionally, the New Jyhadattempts to start the fire anew, both Israel and the Palestinans have come to what amounts as an agreement.
It was around that time that Egypt finally withdrew all official support from the group which did not deter them in the least. it also helped that they had a lot of sympathizers in practically every government of the lands they watched over.
While the group certainly had their hands full dealing with fundamentalist groups and terrorists powered and non-powered, they were active on an international scale several times, most notably during the Destroyer War and the second Yazur invasion. That, too was not well received by those who'd created the group in the first place.
The final falling out, though, happened only after 9/11. In a bout of rage at what she saw as pointless mass murders, Dahibatore through Afghanistan, Iraq and finally Pakistan, brutally disposing of even the faintest traces of terrorist activity. The fact that she killed during this rampage forced the group to dismiss her, given that one of their staunchest principles was to protect the sanctitiy of life.
Nevertheless, when the group was called to answer for the deeds of Dahiba after she'd been apprehended (after causing 600+ deaths and uncounted billions in property damage), it was Dervish who appeared live on Al-Jazeera and stated, " If you, in the light of these events, force us to choose between our faith and peace...then, Allah forgive me, we choose peace. Call us unbelievers, if you will...we're champions of life, not of creed."
interestingly, while this statement destroyed the group in the eyes of those still seeking to use it as an instrument for their own warped worldviews and made them officially untouchable, they still remain in high favour among the ordinary people who, after all is said and done, just wish to live their life in peace.

Currently, the Defenders consist of:
Dervish
The owner of an enchanted scimitar (which he found in an abandoned cellar he crashed into by accident - next to Dahiba, whom he took away with him) that grants him superhuman speed and the ability to astrally project when dancing himself into a trance, Dervish is the public face of the group. The Father of Peace may be more powerful but his aloof and detached nature make him unsuited for public speaking. So, it falls to Mehmed
Aziz, as Devish is called in his hormal identity. A devout muslim, he believes that Allah arranged it so that he found the scimitar and became a hero. While he is confident and self-assured on the outside, he fears that, whatever he might do, it will not be enough to satisfy the Creator. Father of Peace has told him numerous times that it is nonsense but Dervish hasn't taken his words to heart, which leads to him often trying too hard to achieve the group's goals which can be the source of more trouble.

Father of Peace
Sabri bin Faris was a metahuman, able to teleport short distances. But, instead of becoming a hero, he fell under the sway of fundamentalist preachers and eventually joined the New Jyhad where he was responsible for more than a few terrorist bombings, teleporting out just as the explosives were triggered, saving himself while leaving everyone thinking of a normal suicide bombing. Things changed, however, when he was tasked to set up an experimental bomb containing retroengineered Yazur technology which would allow the explosion to reverberate across dimensional barriers, widening the circle of destruction without being hindered by walls. He detonated the bomb in front of the US embassy in Iran and tried to port away...only to find himself carried away by the dimensional shockwave, hurdled across dimensional barriers, higher and higher...until his very being basked in the presence of DIVINITY Herself. The combination of his teleport ability and the bomb had hurled him right into the Supreme Throne.
Normally, he should have gone insane, his mind burned out by the confrontation with the force of the cosmos itself. But, for some strange reason, he didn't. DIVINITY's might manifested itself to him in two simple words that contained enlightenment itself, " I. AM!"
Then, he felt himself thrown back into the world...a world he could now see with new eyes, his very being transmuted by the truths he had just witnessed. With the things he knew, his old ways seemed completely ridiculous to him and so he abandoned the New Jyhad and his old name to become the Father of Peace. His new powers enabled him to transcend the mortal spheres, granting him powers ironically similar to those ascribed to truly enlightened ones in Buddhism.
He is the most powerful member of the Defenders and acts as the group's conscience. Given that he has seen the truth about the universe and survived, it is no surprise that he has abandoned his old faith, though he does not keep others from following their own paths.
He was a good friend to Paladin in whom he saw a kindred soul even though, thanks to the group having to recuperate after a fierce battle against the World-Walker, he wasn't there to help against Doctor Destroyer.

Ali the Magnificent
Looking like he'd sprung directly from an Arabian Nights fairytale book, the sorcerer is the descendant of a long line of magicians whose powers derived from several artifacts left over from Suleiman (Solomon) himself -a staff, a crown and several jars that contained trapped "demons" - Ahriman's servant creatures. Always travelling in style on a carpet he's woven himself, Ali loves bombastic entrances and outright hammy behaviour, totally relishing his role as a superhero. Most of the time, he appears completely oblivious to the troubles the group faces whenever they come under attack from fundamentalists and governments alike, but when his flamboyant facade cracks, he is revealed as a thoughtful, considerate man who has adopted this behaviour to bring a sense of fairytale wonder back to the oppressed and downtrodden.

Princess
A demure-looking woman, Princess is actually the last royal descendant from a mythical race of half-Gahral women (descended from the late Artemis, the result of a little sociological experiment of hers) who probably were the insipration for the mythical Amazons. While the Gahral heritage is so muddled within her that her strength and stamina are merely equivalent to a well-trained human without any necessary training, she seems to possess at least some of her ancestor's longevity, aging very slowly, if at all. She also has two hearts instead of the four Gahral possess. Her greatest assets are Artemis' bow which shoots hot plasma bolts and a nanite armor she can summon to surround her body within an instant.
Her normal name is Jalihla and she keeps her entire history secret from even her companions among the Defenders - except for the Father of Peace who saw through her easily - since she has been sent by her people as an attempt to subvert the rampant mysoginy that festers in so many muslim countries today. While she tries to help people as much as possible, in truth she seeks to slowly subvert the teachings of Islam to a more female-friendly ideology.

Dahiba
Dahiba ("The Golden One") has recently been kicked out of the group after her rampage through half the middle east left hundreds dead in her wake. Her reasons were understandable but the Defenders had a very strict rule when it came to killing: Don't do it.
Dahiba, unbeknownst to many, was never human but a magical construct, similar to the Golem of Hebrew mythology. Created as what should be the first of many artificial warriors meant to stem the tide of conquerors arriving from the Christian lands during the crusades, she was formed from pure gold inscripted with magical runes, her creator giving her a female form as a reminder of his beloved daughter whom he'd lost too early. Thanks to the magic involved, Dahiba gained consciousness and a soul. The unknown alchemist who'd created her in his laboratory died when she opened her eyes for the first time, his heart already weak and the mixture of joy and fear too much for him. Before she could escape the hut that was her birthplace, it was hit by a siege weapon and collapsed, burying her deep within the cellar along with the other magical weapons the alchemist had created. Afraid and alone in the dark with no one to explain to her what had happened, Dahiba went to sleep. She could've easily cast the rubble aside but she saw no reason, the cellar being the only thing that existed for her.
Hundreds of years later, the man who'd eventually become dervish crashed into the abandoned cellar by accident, finding the scimitar and the sleeping girl of gold who awoke the moment he touched her.
In the end, after some screaming and confusion, he carefully took her with him and taught her about the world outside. She became a hero together with him, the runes inscribed into her golden skin giving her the ability to fly and superhuman strength as well as hardiness.
But the many evils of the world she saw slowly hardened her, impressed upon a mind that was still new and yet already had the capacity for full reflection and thought, unlike that of a child who can grow into the darkness.
She became increasingly aggressive, despite the others' best efforts, culminating into the rampage that ended her time with the Defenders. She was caught but managed to escape and is now alone, looking for new friends, while her old ones are still searching for her...this cannot be good in the long run as her impressionable mind can still be molded to whatever end one wishes...

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:15 am

Great job with the Defenders of Peace!

* Dervish is my favorite, mostly because I love the angle he's certain his destiny was by God and isn't that better than something more direct?

* Father of Peace is an interesting theological riddle. After all, one's Islam is likely be affected by meeting God and finding out they're only vaguely like you've imagined.

* Ali is awesome. I'm surprised he's not Jaffar, though, since the original was a good guy. I imagine he gets a lot of flack from Jewish mystics who think his stuff is theirs by right.

* Princess is adorable and I'm glad you included her because the team definitely needed a female member.

* Dahiba is awesome and I may use him.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:43 am

Thanks for the comments.

Dahiba is a "she". The golem was fashioned from gold in a womanly form resembling her creator's dead daughter.

The Father of Peace has abandoned Islam since no religion can stand up to true enlightenment. He valiantly keeps his mouth shut about the subject of religion, though, since he knows freedom of choice is important.

Ali simply scoffs at the demands to hand over his sources of power. He has invited mystics who were too adamant and hot-headed about the subject to try and take them from him but strangely, no one has stepped up to the plate yet...

Princess is basically this universe's Wonder Woman and to put her in that environment was too interesting an idea to pass up.
Last edited by Neo-Paladin on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:51 am

Aand it's back to Villains

The Corrupted
Aptly named, the greatest enemies of the Circle are the members of the previous Circle, thoroughly destroyed and then rebuild as servants to the Outsiders by Nyarlathotep.
They are, in a way, his greatest triumph, a cabal of powerful good-natured sorcerers completely turned around and made into instruments of him and the other inscrutable entities beyond the Barrier. Carefully, he turned them against each other by playing on their weaknesses, luring each to more and more dangerous knowledge to escape their personal tragedies - which he had engineered -, then tipping the others off to their companion's obvious "betrayal". When the dust had settled and the Circle was no more than a bunch of squabbling magicians who were more of a danger to themselves and their surroundings than to the Outsiders, Nyarlathotep revealed himself to them in 1870, gloating over their defeat. He reminded them that in their pursuit of healing, revenge or peace of mind, they had employed the tools they wanted to keep people from using, thereby cutting themselves off from the magical community which could have saved them. And then, in their attempt to punish the "traitors", they had expended much of their power.
He gave them a choice - join the cause of the Outsiders and at least regain some of their old power and get rid of all the hurts and frailties of mortality...or be destroyed.
Maybe the saddest part of the whole story is that only two members refused and were erased from existance. the others went on to become frightful menaces in their own right, the Outsider's right hands (or tentacles) in this reality.

Members of the Corrupted are:

Doctor Henry West
Those who meet Dr. West today are shocked to learn that he was once the kindest among the Circle, the group's conscience and someone who flinched even when it came to killing truly evil creatures. Born in 1800 in Arkham, New England (yes, the same town Lovecraft wrote about...he always found it very unsettling the few times he got out of the house to visit there), he was a medical genius of his time as well as a philanthropist and excellent sorcerer, trying to combine science and magic for the first time. Even more than his passion for the arts of magic and science and the desire to protect humanity from otherworldly horrors, however, his love for his wife Lenora defined his life. He practically worshipped her and she returned the feelings in kind. That was exactly the lever Nyarlathotep needed. Arranging an unfortunate accident to have her killed, he watched as Dr. West sank into grief and depression so deep no one could snap him out of it. In the end, West tried to kill himself, unable to stand living without the love of his life. Nyarlathotep caught his soul and trapped it in an elaborate illusion, masquerading as an angel of the lord, telling him that she did not have to die and sending his soul back with knowledge of how to raise the dead.
The ritual worked. Too bad Nyarlathotep forgot to mention that nothing can bring back a soul once it has departed. What woke up was a creature devoid of self, a being of raving, instinctual madness.
Escaping from the mansion, it started to kill its way through Arkham before a few courageous townspeople trapped and destroyed the mad creature. West snapped, forced to witness his wife die again, his brilliant mind unwilling to acknowledge that what the townsfolk burned was not his Lenora anymore.
He then vowed that he would bring her back with her soul intact, no matter what lesser minds would think.
In the next years, he went on to blaspheme against every decree and divine law, delving ever deeper - with some help from Nyarlathotep and a few prophetic dreams sent by Cthulhu itself - into forbidden magics.
It was no surprise that eventually, his fellow Circle members discovered his corruption, though, by that time, most of them had already fallen themselves. A fierce battle ensued with no winners but great parts of the countryside devastated.
Then, Nyarlathotep revealed himself and offered them his infamous choice...West, having lost all he ever valued and having turned from a friend to humanity into its darkest nightmare, did not take too long to turn.
These days, his rambling, unnatural mansion is no longer situated in Arkham, instead being capable of appearing anywhere he wishes. It is a living thing, a permanent breach between the prison of the Outsiders and our world and a place of twisted experiments and unnatural horrors. West ist the most powerful member of the Corrupted, capable of creating indescribable horrors if not stopped.

Asenath Waite
To her detractors, it was not a question if Asenath would ever turn to evil but when she would. The "White Sheep" of the infamous Waite family, she had been haunted for years by the spirit of her own father who sought to possess her body to continue his studies of dark magic and Outsider lore, not to mention give in to other...unwholesome urges. With the help of Dr. West she managed to get rid of the ancient spirit but a part of her was crippled after the traumatic event. She was prone to terrible nightmares and blasphemous vistas throughout all her life. Nevertheless, the shy woman with a gift for prophecy and exorcism joined the Circle where she was a valued member for many years. After years as a haunted, frightful girl, it was only natural that she placed an enormous amount of trust into her newfound friends once she'd gotten to know them. That, however, also blinded her to their increasing corruption, even though she should have been the first to notice, given her abilities.
Nyarlathotep did not even bother turning her. Witnessing her friends and saviours turned into monsters crushed her sanity and when they turned, she went with them, mostly out of a desire not to be alone.
These days, she is most often working in women's shelters, posing as a therapist for those suffering domestic abuse. The ones who prove to have the requisite amount of willpower, she leads on to paths of revenge using unclean magics, thereby weakening the fabric of reality bit by bit.

Wilbur Whately
The previous Guardian at the Gate, Wilbur Whately had been cursed from birth. In ancient times, one of his ancestors summoned a part of the spirit of the rogue Outsider Yog-Sothoth into her own body, hoping to give birth to a god. Through ways best not described the thing that came out of this union reproduced, a piece of wholly unnatural DNA polluting the human genome, producing bloodlines of powerful sorcerers but also lunatics. It is speculated that the current Guardian at the Gate, HP Lovecraft, is related to the Whatelys but that has never been proven - and he himself highly disapproves of that idea. In any case, in Wilbur, a substantial portion of this otherworldly heritage came to the fore. While this made him an exceptional sorcerer, it also burdened him with an entropic, creepy aura and a face that was unique in its ugliness. Plagued by loneliness all his life and secretly longing for female companionship, he was an easy target for Nyarlathotep. The Outsider spliced off a piece of itself into one of its many avatars, creating an independant entity called "the Quiet Lady", a beautiful woman of mystery who managed to woo most people simply by being in their vicinity. Seducing Wilbur was easy in this form. Getting him to commit atrocities and corrupt his own soul was simple. He was bright and well-learned but the weakness of the human heart was easy to exploit and so, he was the first one who turned. These days, he often assists Outsider-worshipping cults. He was one of the most fervent enemies of Dr. Satanos after the latter's heel-face turn.
Interestingly, the group does not know the Lady's secret to this day. They still believe that she is simply a beautiful, if wicked sorceress who turned with them. After all, why ruin a good joke by explaining everything?
Plus, it grants Nyarlathotep a window into reality and the chance to observe the Corrupted personally...

Yahut-Axatl
Mars hangs cold and silent in the void of space, a mystery to all and a taboo to all spacefaring races. Even though FTL flight is within humanity's grasp, ever since the first manned mission to Mars went haywire, the UN has issued a strict order not to enter the planet's athmosphere. Even Ultima does not go there.
Few people know the reason why but Yahut-Axatl could tell them - if he were still sane.
Ages ago, the Guardian God of Mars, Vulthoom, was corrupted by the Outsiders. Handing his own corruption to his followers on Mars, the peaceful Aihai,he drove them insane and caused a civil war that annihilated the entire ecosystem of the planet. Luckily for him, Yahut-Axatl was on a deep space mission at the time. Making haste to return home when the news of his planet's situation reached him, he made an error computing his way back, his trajectory way off, causing his ship to slam into an asteroid. Damaged and unable to correct its course, the ship landed on earth about 1,000 years ago. Seeing that human civilization could not help him rebuild his ship, he fell into a deep stasis sleep, waiting 800 more years before he woke up, the stasis chamber in his vessel finally out of power.
After wandering the earth for a while in human guise, he sought to find out what exactly had ravaged his planet. Seeking this knowledge brought him into contact with the Circle and he stayed with them, wanting to keep the fate of Mars from happening to another planet.
He was the hardest to turn for Nyarlathotep. For years upon years, the Outsider tormented Yahut-Axatl with visions of his doomed planet, trying to seed within the Aihai the desire to return and see if anything was left. Deep within his own thoughts, the alien was oblivious to the changes that went through his comrades and when finally, Nyarlathotep arranged things so that a way was found to recharge the power source of Yahut's ship, the alien took that chance and drove off to Mars, his ship a comet heading for home.
No one will ever know what happened on Mars but when Yahut returned to earth, he was a monster, both in mind and body, an abomination ready and willing to serve the Outsiders.
While not that much of a sorcerer, his mind is still brilliant and he is often the brains behind the Corrupted's concerted efforts - yes the Quiet lady is an avatar of Nyarlathotep but she still is a bit of a ditz sometimes. He follows the creed of universal destruction with all the fervor of a mad apostle.
His natural martian abilities are superhuman resilience, the ability to regenerate most damage in direct sunlight (Aihai are actually more plant than animal), mental illusions and the ability to see into other dimensions.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:29 pm

Keep up the Good Work Neo-Paladin! :mrgreen:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:54 pm

I try my best...I am sorry it took so long to do an update, hope I can post more regularly again in the future.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:52 am

Ultima - Part 1 - a brief history

"Space Nazis? You got to be kidding me..."
- Dr. Satanos during the "Operation Iron Sky" event in 2004

Satanos was simplifying a bit there. Of course, even the brutally stubborn National Socialistic "creed" could not entirely survive migrating to the moon and hibernating there for 60 years without undergoing a few changes.
But one ought to start at the beginning.
In 1940, some among the Axis Think Tank - led by the future Dr. Destroyer - were discussing the distant possibility that the war on several fronts could end badly for Germany. Of course, Hitler would have none of that, forbidding even the mere mention of a possible defeat on pain of death. Thus, the planning went on without him. It's hard to keep watch on folks who are much more intelligent than oneself and have access to nearly unlimited resources,
Since some among Hitler's lackeys valued their own lives more than the vision of the Thousand-Year Reich, they assisted the group in first establishing a secret outpost in Antarctica and then coming up with a contingency plan. When the Reich was defeated, a number of the most fanatical and brilliant scienstists and officers - and a few of the newly created metahumans sworn to the Reich - fled to Anarctica, boarding the rockets that had been built there. Their goal was the dark side of the moon where they could land and rebuild until the time when they could return and take what was theirs.
Unfortunately for the rest of the world, the plan worked all too well. 12 rockets started and 10 reached their destination, laden with crews and supplies to rebuild according to detailed plans that were ages beyond the rest of the world, thanks to Zerstoiten and the other geniuses.
They vowed to restore their nation, if not on earth, then on the moon. As a name they chose "Ultima", a reference to mythical Ultima Thule and simply to signify the highest place above all.
While rebuilding their nation under the new Reichsführer Willhelm Kessler(formerly the vice-leader of the Thule Society under Himmler), the Ultimacians came upon a hidden compound drilled deep into the moon's surface, a cache of alien tech and laboratory equipment. They had found one of Echidna's secret labs, established after the ban on her experiments by Zeus. This, too, would porve dire for the world in the years to come...
Once permanent living space and life support had been established, the best and brightest among their scientists went to work on the lab tech and notes left there by the most ingenious and insidious person ever to study the science of life.
Combining this with their metahuman research already done led to incredible results, among them the creation of Übermutter, who is basically a human cloning machine, the Valkyries, one of the few and most devastating stable metahuman strain or Blitzkrieg, one of the most powerful metahumans.
Also, reverse-engineering the technology found in the lab propelled the nation years forward, allowing them to create their first manned spaceships (as opposed to rockets) in 1950. One might ask why they did not attack humanity immediately afterwards...the reason is simple - Ultima had a war to fight themselves.
After taking over much of the moon in 1954, they went to the next planet possibly capable of harboring life - Mars. They landed...and something awoke. Something ancient, powerful and hungry...an entire race of Outsider-corrupted alien lifeforms...and their God, Vulthoom.
They homed in on the source of their disturbance with frightening speed, attacking Ultima for years and years. The war was devastating but in the end, Ultima won, losing 90% of their spellcasters in a blood rite that banished Vulthoom back to Mars. After that, they spent years rebuilding their once-great nation while some of their metahuman operatives began to test the waters for future invasion of earth. The results were not to their liking - the presence of superheroes made any open attempt at invasion very risky - at least with the current level of technology.
Ultima had the first working FTL drive in 1975, decades before the rest of the world, and began travelling "abroad", leaving the solar system to start bartering, selling biotech secrets stolen from Echidna's lab to whomever would pay in technology in return.
But even with that, it took them till 2004 until they deemed themselves ready for revealing their presence and invading earth. "Operation: Eiserner Himmel" (Iron Sky) began with rapid bombing attacks by Reichsflugscheiben (one-person fighters looking somewhat like disks) followed by dropping thousands of cloned soldiers in power armor together with Valkyries, each capable of taking on a conventional army by themselves. Germany was nearly overrun within a day and other nations were hard pressed to withstand the attack, even with the help of every single superhero on the planet. Ultima could possibly have won...if not for Dr. Destroyer and the New Dawn.
Zerstoiten still remembered being forced to work for the Nazis and he would not allow anyone to conquer the earth in his stead, least of all the descendants of Hitler's minions.
He threw everything he had at the Ultimacians, fighting alongside his worst enemies, forcing the regime to eventually back down and sue for peace.
Ultima was eventually accepted as a sovereign nation - an act most people still see as the result of a number of shady backroom deals and promsies of shared technology - but does not command much respect in the world. As it stands, they rank even lower than Iran or North Korea in western popular opinion, though, of course, there are always idiots who wish they'd succeed...

Next part - Ultima as a nation. Comments and questions are, as always, welcome

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:29 pm

Well, as those PCs are learning, including mine, they are tough foes... any planned other foes detailed soon?
Impeach the peach!

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:36 pm

Yeah...I just had a lot to do in this thing called real life, sadly. I will update again very soon, though.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:16 am

Ultima 2 - Today's Ultima at a glance

Modern Ultima is most often described by outsiders as " Adolf Hitler's wet dream". While the term has some truth to it, the state of affairs on the dark side of the moon is, as always, a bit more complex than that.
First of all, the simple fact that Hitler himself is very much dead (and there has been a severe ban on even the thought of cloning him) has allowed his successor, the Reichsführer, an enigmatic man of indeterminable age who has ruled over the nation since its founding, to mould Ultima into the militaristic and economical powerhouse it is these days. While the Reichsführer is still a die-hard Nazi, he is a lot more level-headed and, more importantly, sane (as much as that can be said for any Nazi).
While the day-to-day running of the nation mostly falls to his second-in-command, the Reichsgroßmarschall Wolfgang von Holtz, the rigid hierarchy established by the Führer upon arrival on the moon still stands.
Ultima is divided into 8 different counties or "Großgaue", each overseen by a Reichsmarschall. While von Holtz is a normal man - though rendered unaging due to alien technology - each Reichsmarschall is a metahuman.
Each city in one of these counties is itself called a "Gau" and overseen by a Reichsritter who may or may not be a metahuman - most are not. The cities itself are also divided into smaller districts, each with its own Reichsvogt. Each Vogt oversees the factories, science labs and police within their district and in turn answers to his Ritter who then reports to his Marschall etc.
The exact same hierarchy applies to the Ministerien (Ministries) who oversee science, military etc. in a realm, wide capacity.
The system may seem simple but in this hierarchy, everyone knows exactly who their direct superior is and who their own underlings are as well as who is responsible for what. Corruption has been known to happen but somehow, the Reichsführer has a way of finding out...and having the offender publicly executed. Slowly.
Advancement within this rigid hierarchy is surprisingly meritocratic, based mostly on previous achievements, though Metahumans always have a distinct advantage. Or, strictly speaking, unless you happen to be a metahuman you cannot rise past Reichsritter. The Runecasters, Ultima's magical elite, are outside this hierarchy and have their own, much more convoluted system. The head of their order answers to the Reichshauptmarschall directly.
The living standard is quite high for the average citizen and each and everyone is provided a free education. Alphabetism rate is at 100%. While trade embargos and the unwillingness of Ultima's government to enter into any sort of economical relationship with the nations of earth keep the population from getting their hands on earth-made luxuries, the profitable trade with alien realms and the technological advancement gained from studiying Echidna's biotechnology and the Gahral artifacts left on the moon have allowed Ultima to provide its citizens with everything they could want. Visitors would be surprised how similar the life of the average Ultimacian is to the life of a US citizen.
That much for the tolerable, even admirable traits of Ultima.
Now on to the topic of them being racist, elitist, murdering bastards.
Everything in Ultima is geared towards their final goal - the conquest of earth and uniting it under their rule. Of course, this would entail the mass killings of "undesirables", those of "impure genetic stock" and those " unfit to live". Yes, they haven't learned a thing.
From birth on, every child in Ultima is mercilessly indoctrinated towards that goal, taught a rigid and merciless social darwinistic outlook and of course, subjected to the whole "master race" rhetoric. It is unfortunate that it works on so many, turning them into close-minded bigots.
The only thing the typical Ultimacian is not bigoted towards are Metamen. The Ultimacian spindoctors took up the old Nazi trope of the "Übermensch" and turned it into a national credo, teaching that the emergence of the metamen is a sign of the "Ahnenerbe", the ancient heritage of the "Aryan" race. Of course, only the Ultimacians are entitled to that...
Countless Ultimacian scientists are working around the clock to perfect the metaman, to learn how to awake metahuman potential and to create stable metahuman lines that can be mass-produced. It is unfortunate that they have been frighteningly effective, creating an army of living engines of destruction, the Valkyries, a line of clones that can be produced relatively easy. Other attempts to turn humans into metamen, either in the womb or outside, have met with limited success. They are further along than the rest of the world, however (with the obvious exception of Dr. Destroyer, who has perfected a method to grant all his fallback clones his towering intellect).
Speaking of genetic tampering - during pregnancy, an Ultimacian mother and the unborn child are constantly screened for genetic deviancy or metahuman potential. If the former is discovered, the pregnancy is forcibly terminated and the mother sterilised in case the genetic "taint" (defects, rare genetic malfunctions etc.) comes from her own bloodline. In case of the latter, the baby is transferred from the womb to an artificial one where it will be constantly monitored and examined to learn its potential. In many cases, genetic manipulation also happens at this stage to maximise the metahuman potential. With mixed results, to say the least.
Many adult Ultimacians with metahuman abilities suffer from psychotic episodes which might have their foundations in this early treatment.
It also should be noted that military service is mandatory for metahumans but not for regular citizens. In fact, regular citizens can only enter the military to become officers. All other troops are clones, a line of troopers all looking alike and sharing the same basic traits that can be modified as any given war demands.
Valkyries are, though clones, never regular troopers. They are the equivalent of tanks, though Ultima also has those...

That was that...next part coming soon: Ultima 3-VIPs
Last edited by Neo-Paladin on Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 am

Ultima 3 - Notable Personalities and Metahumans

Due to years of ruthless research into genetics, tampering with dormant metahuman strains, cloning and the judicious application of alien (most notably Gahral) technologies, Ultima boasts a much higher percentage of metahumans than any other modern country. Practically the entire upper echelons of Ultimacian society are composed of metahumans and mass-produced metahuman clones are used alongside and in some cases besides war machines.
Of course, not all metahumans residing in Ultima are known to the people of Earth, the most (in)famous being listed here:

Der Reichsführer: Has to be included even though no one is certain whether he is actually a metahuman, a robot, a supernatural entity, a Gahral, a clone of simply a figurehead for von Holtz to legitimize his rulership of Ultima. His true name is unknown and he is always only adressed by his title. It can be stated with relative certainty, however, that he is neither a clone of nor the somehow unaging Adolf Hitler himself.
The Reichsführer is a man of about middle height with dark blue eyes, black hair which has been greying at his temples for the last 50 years and a fit physique, looking about 40 years old. He usually dresses in a dark grey uniform which is surprisingly free of ornamentation or medals, affecting the aura of austere authority. Since he has never been seen in combat, his physical abilities remain a mystery. He is possessed of a certain suave charisma, which appears to be wholly natural.
Having ruled Ultima ever since the landing on the moon, he must be at least 90 years old, though his aging appears to have been halted by drugs retroengineered from Echidna's lab on the moon.

Reichsgroßmarschall Wolfgang von Holtz: The most powerful man after the Reichsführer and, if some rumours can be believed, the true ruler of Ultima, von Holtz appeared about 10 years after the landing on the moon and was embraced as second-in-command by the Reichsführer almost immediately, sparking the first rumours of his mysterious origin. Due to being fatally allergic to the age-decelerators developed by Ultimacian scientists from the Gahral laboratory, he had to exchange his blood with a special fluid containing nanites to repair any age-related cellular damage.
Apart from this enhancement which keeps him looking like a man in his mid 30s and grants him minor regenerative capabilities, he lacks any inherent metahuman superpower.
For that he makes up with absolute and utter ruthlessness and a complete lack of anything that could be called a moral compass. Either by direct action or orders, he has been responsible for the death of more than 100,000 people during his life and this does not even keep him up at night.
Despite this, his appearance does not hint at his lack of morals at all. This man looks so ordinary - ordinary height, dark brown hair, a nondescript face - he could pass you on the street and you wouldn't notice him.

Solveig Sturmhardt, the First Valkyrie: Quite a few times, Ultimacians have realized the barbarity and horror of the regime they were fighting for and defected. Usually, the Reich goes to great lengths to get their hands on the defectors and execute them publicly as an example to others, especially if the exilants are metahumans. But occasionally, one does slip throug their fingers, such as it happened with Solveig.
Having been born with the ability to fly, emit burning sunlight from her eyes and strength enough to crack mountains, her genetic template was used to create the first Valkyries, her genetic abnormalities being a rare deviation even among metahumans in that they were dominant, resulting in any offspring she would have to develop metahuman powers as well with a 100% chance. This, of course, made her an extremely valuable commodity for Ultima and as a result, her conditioning - read brainwashing - was much more thorough than with any other metahuman amongst the troops. For decades, she was a proud and unrelenting soldier for the Reich...until the day she met Paladin for the first time.
Her handlers had fortified her against mental control and outside influences...but they had not counted on such a simple thing as hormones. Solveig fell in love with the Shining Knight.
And, since she did not wish to fight him anymore, she defected.
That story, much to Ultima's chagrin, is known to the public. And, according to that story, Ultima caught up with her and she was killed in a heated battle over the Atlantic, downing 10 of her own clones before being obliterated.
The last part, however, is not true. Solveig is still alive, having been placed under witness protection and given a whole new identity. The former villainness has been placed in a small town on US soil, working as a librarian and taking care of her daughter...who is beginning to show certain metahuman traits...not to mention a striking facial similarity to one of the most powerful heroes who have ever lived...

That's it for now, more will come next week when i am on va-cay---shonnnn! As always, comments are much appreciated.

Hauptmann Krieg

Blitzkrieg

Stahlhammer

Geist

Exterminus

Großmagister Halberstedt: