The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: Membership Drive Update

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
User avatar
Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 21027
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Rumble City

Re: The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: The Lovecraft Mythos

Postby Kreuzritter » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:21 am

Again, I shill Gatchaman CROWDS, because their version of Berg Katze is basically a Mask of Nyarlathotep (actively an asshole, thinks it has a sense of humor), while the heroine can defeat Yog-Sothoth-based entity by making it her friend
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

User avatar
Ares
Hero
Hero
Posts: 1558
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:41 pm

Re: The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: The Lovecraft Mythos

Postby Ares » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:32 am

Libra wrote:Fine work Ares - I'm particularly tickled by the idea of Conan and the Wizard Shazam teaming up to tackle some Lovecraftian nastiness (although I suspect that your version owes as much to that grand old animation Conan the Adventurer as it does to the mighty Mr Robert E. Howard!). :D


I'm just that predictable, aren't I?

User avatar
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 19834
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:46 pm
Location: The Green and Pleasent Isle

Re: The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: The Lovecraft Mythos

Postby Libra » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:49 am

Not necessarily, it just means we share the formative experiences of a certain generation of nerds. :wink:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

User avatar
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2668
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: The Lovecraft Mythos

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:50 am

Libra wrote:Not necessarily, it just means we share the formative experiences of a certain generation of nerds. :wink:


A magnificent, glorious generation.
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

User avatar
Ares
Hero
Hero
Posts: 1558
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:41 pm

Re: The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: The Lovecraft Mythos

Postby Ares » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:31 am

Kreuzritter wrote:Again, I shill Gatchaman CROWDS, because their version of Berg Katze is basically a Mask of Nyarlathotep (actively an asshole, thinks it has a sense of humor), while the heroine can defeat Yog-Sothoth-based entity by making it her friend


I appreciate the input, as I am genuinely interested adding more heroes to the setting, give it a more international flavor, and having some heroes in Japan would certainly help. I'm just not familiar enough with Gatchaman CROWDS for their inclusion at this time.

Libra wrote:Not necessarily, it just means we share the formative experiences of a certain generation of nerds. :wink:


Voltron64 wrote:A magnificent, glorious generation.


I'm a child of the 80's, born literally as the decade began, so for me the 80's was nothing but awesome cartoons, action figures, comic books and the birth of the modern video game industry. I got to sidestep all of the politics of the decade and just focus on the raw, creativity of the time and the fun of seeing things like a barbarian in a post apocalyptic world face wizards, mutants and robots alongside his sorceress and wookie allies, while wielding a magic lightsaber.

And then I got the still awesome but more mixed bag that was the 90's cartoons, which included the Conan series that was a lot more fun and drew a lot of inspiration from the Howard novels. My own take is going to be a blend of the Howard stories, some of the Marvel Comics stuff, and the cartoon, since I feel all three have their good points that are worth including.

User avatar
Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 21027
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Rumble City

Re: The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: The Lovecraft Mythos

Postby Kreuzritter » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:35 am

Ares wrote:
Kreuzritter wrote:Again, I shill Gatchaman CROWDS, because their version of Berg Katze is basically a Mask of Nyarlathotep (actively an asshole, thinks it has a sense of humor), while the heroine can defeat Yog-Sothoth-based entity by making it her friend


I appreciate the input, as I am genuinely interested adding more heroes to the setting, give it a more international flavor, and having some heroes in Japan would certainly help. I'm just not familiar enough with Gatchaman CROWDS for their inclusion at this time.


who said anything about inclusion, I was just saying its a show you'd get a kick out of.
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

User avatar
Ares
Hero
Hero
Posts: 1558
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:41 pm

Re: The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: The Lovecraft Mythos

Postby Ares » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:45 am

Kreuzritter wrote:
Ares wrote:
Kreuzritter wrote:Again, I shill Gatchaman CROWDS, because their version of Berg Katze is basically a Mask of Nyarlathotep (actively an asshole, thinks it has a sense of humor), while the heroine can defeat Yog-Sothoth-based entity by making it her friend


I appreciate the input, as I am genuinely interested adding more heroes to the setting, give it a more international flavor, and having some heroes in Japan would certainly help. I'm just not familiar enough with Gatchaman CROWDS for their inclusion at this time.


who said anything about inclusion, I was just saying its a show you'd get a kick out of.


Oh, derp. My bad. Thanks for the suggestion then. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2668
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: The Lovecraft Mythos

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:01 am

Also personally, I'd go with the impression for Nyarlathotep that the entity the wizard Arlan summoned didn't so much devour his mind so much as merge with it. Think Nicodemus Archleone if you get my drift.

While we're at it, what's the relationship between the forces of Hell and the Great Old Ones?
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

User avatar
Ares
Hero
Hero
Posts: 1558
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:41 pm

Re: The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: The Lovecraft Mythos

Postby Ares » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:25 am

Voltron64 wrote:Also personally, I'd go with the impression for Nyarlathotep that the entity the wizard Arlan summoned didn't so much devour his mind so much as merge with it. Think Nicodemus Archleone if you get my drift.


There was a merging of a sorts, but it was decidedly one-sided. When the entity that would become Nyarlathotep merged with Arlan, it literally ate his sentience and kept his soul shackled to his body until that body was later destroyed. The terms of the deal were 'to live' afterall, and sentience isn't required to live. But the entity incorporated what it had devoured into itself, taking Arlan's cunning, scheming nature, knowledge of the world and human nature into itself, gaining a unique outlook on human nature. It was less the type of merger Nicodemus and his fallen angel have, and more that Nyarlathotep used Arlan's mind as a template and source of knowledge, and incorporated the bits of it that appealed to it into its own consciousness. Otherwise, Arlan was pretty much gone from the moment he made the deal.

While we're at it, what's the relationship between the forces of Hell and the Great Old Ones?


An excellent question, one that will deserve full exploration when I talk about the Old Ones and the Legions of Hell in particular. For now, the short version is that both are two very different groups with different goals and methods. Hell wants to essentially get back at God by corrupting and twisting existence into something that was not His intention, while the Old Ones want to just destroy everything in existence, Hell included. As such, Hell sees the Old Ones as both useful tools and dangerous rivals, using the Old Ones when it's convenient, but the few times they've underestimated the Old Ones has cost them dearly. Sometimes Hell has to actively oppose the Old Ones in order to maintain a current scheme they're running.

User avatar
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2668
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: The Lovecraft Mythos

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:34 am

Ares wrote:
Voltron64 wrote:Also personally, I'd go with the impression for Nyarlathotep that the entity the wizard Arlan summoned didn't so much devour his mind so much as merge with it. Think Nicodemus Archleone if you get my drift.


There was a merging of a sorts, but it was decidedly one-sided. When the entity that would become Nyarlathotep merged with Arlan, it literally ate his sentience and kept his soul shackled to his body until that body was later destroyed. The terms of the deal were 'to live' afterall, and sentience isn't required to live. But the entity incorporated what it had devoured into itself, taking Arlan's cunning, scheming nature, knowledge of the world and human nature into itself, gaining a unique outlook on human nature. It was less the type of merger Nicodemus and his fallen angel have, and more that Nyarlathotep used Arlan's mind as a template and source of knowledge, and incorporated the bits of it that appealed to it into its own consciousness. Otherwise, Arlan was pretty much gone from the moment he made the deal.


I think that it adds a far more personal sense of horror when you realize that Nyarlathotep's cruel, sadistic nature has a human basis in it. :shock:
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

User avatar
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2668
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: The Lovecraft Mythos

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:48 pm

Ares, do the Mi-Go have any interaction with the other spacefaring empires at all?

And would it be a hilariously clever twist that if Harry Dresden ever goes into space, the alien equipment surprisingly doesn't backfire because it turns out such items had been used for centuries?
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

User avatar
Ares
Hero
Hero
Posts: 1558
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:41 pm

Re: The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: The Lovecraft Mythos

Postby Ares » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Voltron64 wrote:Ares, do the Mi-Go have any interaction with the other spacefaring empires at all?

And would it be a hilariously clever twist that if Harry Dresden ever goes into space, the alien equipment surprisingly doesn't backfire because it turns out such items had been used for centuries?


I'm likewise going to do a post on the aliens of the setting, but in short, the Mi-go are well known and not very liked amongst the space faring races, because the Mi-go have a sort of Visanti style outlook in that "We need to treat each other with respect, but we can do whatever we want to other beings because they aren't us" kind of way. They've experimented on other races too, Earth is just their current point of interest because of where they've set up shop after the last alien race that got tired of them kicked their asses here. But along with Predators, Mi-go are amongst some of the least liked aliens on the galactic setting.

As for alien tech, the main reason Earth technology doesn't get along with magic is due to the aura of energy wizards have that they use to draw magic in and re-shape it. That aura is, in effect, constantly interacting with the energy fields around them, and tends to play havoc with electronics that aren't sufficiently shielded. Alien technology, or even sufficiently advanced Earth technology, can function just fine around magic so long as the wizard isn't intentionally trying to fry the gear Hex style. The Mi-go in particular wouldn't have an issue because all of their science is bio-tech, and doesn't react to magical auras at all.

User avatar
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2668
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: The Lovecraft Mythos

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Ares wrote:
Voltron64 wrote:Ares, do the Mi-Go have any interaction with the other spacefaring empires at all?

And would it be a hilariously clever twist that if Harry Dresden ever goes into space, the alien equipment surprisingly doesn't backfire because it turns out such items had been used for centuries?


I'm likewise going to do a post on the aliens of the setting, but in short, the Mi-go are well known and not very liked amongst the space faring races, because the Mi-go have a sort of Visanti style outlook in that "We need to treat each other with respect, but we can do whatever we want to other beings because they aren't us" kind of way. They've experimented on other races too, Earth is just their current point of interest because of where they've set up shop after the last alien race that got tired of them kicked their asses here. But along with Predators, Mi-go are amongst some of the least liked aliens on the galactic setting.


Oh my, they're in this too? :twisted:
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

User avatar
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 19834
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:46 pm
Location: The Green and Pleasent Isle

Re: The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: The Lovecraft Mythos

Postby Libra » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:30 am

Time to call in a Deathwatch kill-team then!


My own take is going to be a blend of the Howard stories, some of the Marvel Comics stuff, and the cartoon, since I feel all three have their good points that are worth including.


Also known as the syncretic approach to adaption (aka Adaption Distillation), my personal favourite and one I heartily encourage other to pursue, even if the results are not always to my satisfaction (although I also recommend trying to stick as close to the original author's vision as possible, for the sake of courtesy if nothing else).
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!



Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!



Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

User avatar
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2668
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: The Lovecraft Mythos

Postby Voltron64 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:43 am

Might I believe that this setting's version of Conan has a much lesser distrust of magic and wizards considering his friendship with Shazam?

And this better should have happened once.

http://img-cache.cdn.gaiaonline.com/12ada00b4099ff1e51b1a5dadc074143/http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/epoy04/MY%20COLLECTION/predator_classic_Conan.jpg

:twisted:
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra


Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest