Jameson's Setting Miscellany

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Jameson's Setting Miscellany

Post by Jameson » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:15 am

So this is a bit of a "bin" thread for me. I come up with all kinds of ideas that I like but either don't fit in what I'm working on or are something that clearly needs more thought & execution to become utile.

It's also as good a place as any to link my other threads to.

Brave New Era - pulp mystic/steampunk adventure setting
Dark Tidings - pulp supernatural setting

Pluto, Charon, & Mercury - the Sol system jumpgate.

While pondering the difficulties of sci-fi settings and the fact that one must include some manner of FTL (or multiple means of FTL) I once more sank back to an idea that has again and again come up in my mind. Somewhere out near Pluto there is a jumpgate (the how it works is unimportant at this stage) that was left by a prior civilization, or perhaps by one waiting and watching for Earth to mature. The idea of "jumpgates" is hardly new. 2001, Babylon 5, and any number of other properties have similar apparatus of various sizes.

I though to myself "What if Pluto WAS the jumpgate?" After pondering this I wondered how it was powered since solar energy would be minimal. I decided instead that Charon, Pluto's moon, was the gate itself, a sphere that more or less "imploded into a wormhole" when active. Pluto itself became the energy generator/provider. Still I was unhappy because either Pluto was piping hot with nuclear material, a massive chemical battery, or a huge fusions reactor with an impossibly perfect insulation that prevented emissions that we would have detected in our studies of the dwarf planet.

Unless Pluto was only a means to the end.

Mercury is the smallest true planet and also closest to our sun. So what, then, if Mercury was a solar absorber that somehow beamed/transmitted energy to a storage and conversion system that was Pluto which then provided the power for Charon to activate and facilitate FTL travel. It had a certain bizarre elegance to it. It also struck me as a solid foundation for an in game mystery, "Who created these devices on such awesome scale?"

I'm not sure yet, but maybe someday I'll have an idea for that too!

more to come...
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Jameson's Setting Miscellany

Post by Jameson » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:13 am

Justicairs of Infinity

I'm not yet sure just what they will represent but I like the name it sounds vaguely pompous but also actually important, like The Guardians of the Universe. I've been mulling over a Sci-fi transhumanist setting idea, maybe they'll fit into it somehow...

A little known sect within the great whole of humanity, the Justicairs of Infinity are mankind's backup plan. Actually, they are more like 5th or 6th level redundancy backup plan. Existing with the sole purpose of preserving humanity on a cultural, historical, technological, and genetic level.

Yeah, that sounds good and important. It rings of the Foundation but also implies a somewhat wider scope.

Maybe I'll come back to this...

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Jameson's Setting Miscellany

Post by Jameson » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:57 am

After reading through the supernatural book and deciding with my group that our next game (mine to GM) would be a pulp-era supernatural game I set my mind to coming up with a patron group for the character's to work with. Since it's November 5th, and since I think the idea is pretty neat, I thought I would share...

His Majesty's Order of the Fox

November 5th 1605. Every man woman and child in Britain knows what happened that day ... Or do they?

Guy Fawkes was not the conspirator that history claims him to be. The Gunpowder Plot had nothing to do with Gunpowder, and its goal was not the death of the king ... the truth is far stranger.

This is the truth:

In the early hours of November 5th, 1605 in the basements and tunnels below the Houses of Parliament a cabal of worshipers, The Cult of Kar'Kradas, sought to enact a dark ritual that would allow their dark lord to claim and possess the King and thus bring tyranny and darkness to the land. In the dark of the night, Guy Fawkes and twelve others clashed with the followers of Kar'Kradas beneath the House of Lords. Fawkes and two others alone survived the encounter to be taken into custody of the King's men.

In secret the truth was revealed and a plan enacted. A ritual was carried out, binding the identities of Fawkes and the other two men to criminals awaiting execution. Those men were executed for a plot to destroy the King by gunpowder, those men were claimed by Death in place of Fawkes and his men, who were now outside of the reach of death; immortal. The king charged Fawkes with the protection of the crown and the empire from threats foreign and internal that originated from sources beyond the realms of men.

Thus was the His Majesty's Order of the Fox created. A play on words to hide the truth in plain sight and ensure that Empire had a bulwark against the dark powers beyond the ken of mortal men.