Romverse: The Grue Unity

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: The Romverse (Asgard and the Aesir)

Post by Libra » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:44 pm

It's good to see you back on your old thread Lone Wolf, even if only briefly! :D

I must confess that your take on the denizens of Asgard - with Woden more first among equals than 'MIGHTY GOD KING' - is a good one, though I have a sneaking suspicion that old One-Eye is more than smart enough to make sure his authority goes from 'Substantial' to 'Functionally Absolute' when he wants to actually get things done (Most likely when he sees a chance to postpone or potentially avert Gotterdammerung).

Thor

I am convinced that Thor is a fan of Marvel Comics - but that he keeps forgetting that his favourite character is VOLSTAGG THE VOLUMINOUS, not their version of the Mighty Thor and gets confused when people remind him. Doubtless he's also a tad peeved with Joss Whedon for spoiling the punchline of his favourite joke - or would be if he weren't NEAR-paralysed with laughter every single time he hears it.

EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Tyr

I suspect that Tyr acts as both presiding Magistrate and Bailiff at the Thing of Asgard - I would also suspect that he's relentlessly fearless even by the standards of Asgard, therefore being one of the few Aesir who will always obey Woden's orders without hesitation (though not necessarily without question afterward).

Woden
These plots often have rather dark and destructive consequences, but Odin waves off the consequences, convinced that anything can be justified to ensure Asgard endures.
There you have Woden's motivation in a nut-shell - even if all he can ensure is that even a scrap of Asgard or a single Asgardian remains he will move Asgard, Midgard and Hel itself to ensure that it will be so. He has no other ambition than to ensure somethng of his people survives Ragnarock.

My suspicion is that this is a major reason he's working to bring about the Final Battle on Heroic Earth - He believes that if Ragnarock occurs now then much might be preserved, but that only the Jotun will ever grow stronger if it is delayed further.

I'd also suspect that Woden is perversely fond of Wagner, rather than Heavy Metal, but more for the Sopranos than anything else - As Thor's mother could doubtless tell you, Woden likes his women to be of substance or at least substantial . . .

Loki

. . . Is it just me or is anyone else wondering just what in heck Loki did to convince Mr Hoppy to let him set up shop in the Inferno? Also do you think he pays the Piano?

To be honest I see him as more of a Zither man, myself (Psycho Strings just fit with scheming in the Inferno, as far as he's concerned).
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Awesome write-up!

I love the depiction of Woden, Thor, and everyone else. Also, you pretty much hit my motivations for them in a nutshell. They're Vikings. They were Vikings 1000 years ago, they're Vikings today, and barring any interference they'll be Vikings 10,000 years from the present day. Loki, being a Trickster, is a great deal more flexible in his morality though I tend to assume he's a little crazy from all those centuries of being imprisoned.

Blue and Orange Morality I really enjoy though as an idea.

Bravo.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:15 pm

Well wouldn't you go just a bit crazy after having naught but snake venom to drink for millennia and absolutely no toilet facilities!?!?!
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

RomLoneWolf23
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by RomLoneWolf23 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:12 pm

Libra wrote:Well wouldn't you go just a bit crazy after having naught but snake venom to drink for millennia and absolutely no toilet facilities!?!?!
There's that, and there's also that he's genuinely plagued with guilt about some of his nastier stunts like the Baldur incident, and that he knows he's destined to one day end all Creation through his actions, which weighs on his mind rather heavily.

How would you feel, knowing you're inevitably doomed to bring about the end of Creation?
-Exit the LoneWolf

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Crinos » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:18 pm

You know, I just had a thought about all this:

Wotan knows about ragnarok because he drank from Mimir's well?

Well who is Mimir?

I think the ultimate end to all this ragnarok horse hockey (at least in my setting) will be the reveal that Wotan is being manipulated by Mimir, this hideous eldritch abomination, who has been giving Wotan false visions to manipulate him into ending the world, playing on the Aesir's ideas about the inevitability of fate.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by SilvercatMoonpaw » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:45 pm

Crinos wrote:Well who is Mimir?
Is this a real question, or just an alternate character interpretation?

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Crinos » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:00 pm

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:
Crinos wrote:Well who is Mimir?
Is this a real question, or just an alternate character interpretation?
Yeah, I didn't realize Mimir was a mythological character and not just a well.

But think about it, if a guy decapited you, and kept your head as a magic eight ball, wouldn't you be kind of pissed off and purposely give him bad advice to screw him up?

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Kreuzritter » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:28 pm

actually, according to the eddas that actually go into his origins, Odin had nothing to do with Mimir's decapitation

Mimir, as the story goes, was just an aesir of great wisdom who drank from his famous well, and was sent alongside hoenir (not to be confused with Hodr) to the Vanir following their war with Asgard (who recieved Freyr in return). The Vanir, initially impressed by hoenir, made him cheif, until they realized he's just mimir's vapid yet good-looking mouthpeice.

unimaginably torqued, they beheaded mimir and send his head back to odin, who used his magic to keep it alive, so that Mmir could tell him the secrets mimir knew, both in life, and those learned from being betwixt the realms of life and death.

hoenir, incidently, is one of the gods who lives through ragnarok
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

RomLoneWolf23
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: The Romverse (Asgard and the Aesir II)

Post by RomLoneWolf23 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:54 pm

Well, glad to see more discussion here. Going to continue with a few more Norse Gods.

Aegir: Norse God of the Oceans, the bringer of sea storms and the lord of those who die at sea. Or at least some of them; his wife Ran tends to go out and find drowning men and women, then drags their souls over to their Hall beneath the sea, when another psychopomp hasn't gotten to them first. Aegir has a strong rivalry with Poseidon, and is worshipped by a few rogue Atlanteans.

Balder: Norse God of Beauty. Still Dead.

Freya: Norse Goddess of Love and Fertility. Also a powerful sorceress and enchantress in her own right, who taught the arts of Vanir witchcraft to the Aesir. While she is a goddess of love and an enchantress, she averts most of the "Evil Temptress Witch" stereotypes, first by being a fan of romance and a faithful wife to her husband, the Aesir god of sunlight, Odur, and second by being a formidable warrior in her own right. She is the patron of women who die in battle, greeting them in her own hall, Sessrumnir, which lies beside Valhalla. She did have a brief heroic career of her own during the Silver Age, with a friendly rivalry with Lady Liberty, but her duties called her back to Asgard.

Frigga: Queen of the Gods. One of Odin's several wives, and actually the main one, she is primarily concerned with maintaining order in Asgard, and tends to be the Velvet Glove to Odin's Iron Hand. She also has an Agenda of her own, seeking to avert Ragnarok entirely, and manipulates agents of her own to this end, occasionally sabotaging even Odin's efforts.

Heimdall: The Guardian of Bifrost, doesn't do much, being quite devoted to his duties and rarely moves from Bifrost. Most heroes encounter him by having to pass through him to get to Asgard proper. Actually sneaking past his amazing senses is next to impossible, and his fighting skills are second only to those of Thor, making him a true challenge. Getting past Heimdall through trickery is the best option, for as Loki will attest, Heimdall isn't the brightest torch on the walls of Asgard.

Hel: Goddess of Death, and Queen of her own Underworld Domain, Hel hides the rotting half of her body with a half-mask, long robes and gloves, and very little light in her castle. Despite her hideous appearance, she's actually very sociable, and is on good terms with other Death Gods like Hades and Osiris. As of recent years, she's also become the unofficial Goddess of Goth, and enjoys visiting the Goth scene in mortal form, though those who meet her consider her surprisingly cheerful.

Hermod: God of Messengers. Also a speedster, and has a bitter rivalry with Hermes, mostly due to the latter having more fame then he does.

Odur: Norse God of the Sun. Like the Greek Helios, he drives a chariot to race across the sky, dragging the Sun with him before retiring every night. ...In Asgard, that is. Although in Midgard, he does have the power to create light and flames like a living Sun.

Sif: Wife to Thor, the gold-haired goddess (Litterally; you can thank Loki for that) is 50% domestic goddess, tending to her and Thor's children, and 50% Warrior-Maiden, being one of the few goddesses in Asgard who can keep up with Thor on the battlefield. It's usually joked in Asgard that the only thing that makes Thor quake in his boots is Sif' roaring out his name in Anger. Those jokes quickly die out with one of Sif's glares.

Surtur: Lord of the Fire Giants, which are actually more like a demonic race native to the Infernal Netherworld known as Muspelheim, he lives for nothing more then utter destruction of Everything by Fire. He shows favor to firey villains like Sister Blister, and is on good terms with the Demon Prince Belial, for obvious reasons. He is one of Ymir's recurring adversaries, as Surtur considers Nuclear Armageddon just as good a way to "Burn the World".

Thrym: Lord of the Frost Giants, son of Ymir (whom Odin slew and carved up to make Asgard), Thrym has a long-lasting grudge against all the Aesir, but especially against Odin and his kin. His ultimate goal is bringing about the Endless Winter, and this has brought him in conflict with the heroic Ymir, due to the giant's attempts to trigger world-wide Nuclear Winter. Although Thrym hates Ymir for many more reasons, namely insulting his ancestor's memory, and inspiring nearly half of the Frost Giant community to give up their war-mongering ways to live in Peace.

Uller: Son of Sif and Thor, Uller is a god of hunting and archery, and routinely comes into conflict with Ymir as the former often tries to hunt down Loki.

The Einherjar and the Valkyries: The Einherjar are the warriors of Valhalla, who have actually been recruited all over the world throughout the ages. The Valkyries, the handmaidens of battle, are tasked by Odin to scour the Earth for the souls of worthy warriors, to whom they offer a bargain: stave off your Final Judgement by swearing loyalty to Asgard. Those who refuse move on to Final Judgement, those who accept are taken to Valhalla. As the Valkyries have found fewer and fewer Vikings over the years, they quickly learned to widen their talent pool. Now, Valhalla includes valorous warriors of every culture, from Vikings, to Samurai, to U.S. Marines, and actually more then a few late supers. Not all of them are of heroic nature however, and those who visit Valhalla will be disconcerted to see Nazis, Terrorists and a few Supervillains among the ranks of the Einherjar. This is because the Valkyries seek Valor and Battleskill, rather then Virtuous Hearts.

The Einherjar have also modernized over the ages, and are now more or less an organized modern army fighting for Asgard, rather then a motley band of barbarian warriors. They are now grouped in nine regular companies, each led by a captain, under which are four platoons each led by a sergeant (there are no Lieutenants among the Einherjar, which most enlisted men agree is the single best thing about Valhalla.) They are the most common "Cannon Fodder" sent by Odin to fight against Ymir or other missions to Midgard. As dying means they'll only be resurrected in Valhalla, the Einherjar are absolutely fearless.

And that's it for the Aesir. I may do an update about the Artifacts of the Aesir, but honestly, this whole post was intended just for the Balder bit. :mrgreen:
-Exit the LoneWolf

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Aegir: Norse God of the Oceans, the bringer of sea storms and the lord of those who die at sea. Or at least some of them; his wife Ran tends to go out and find drowning men and women, then drags their souls over to their Hall beneath the sea, when another psychopomp hasn't gotten to them first. Aegir has a strong rivalry with Poseidon, and is worshipped by a few rogue Atlanteans.
I imagine Selkies in the Romverse worship Manaan MacLir and other Celtic deities. The Merrow worship the Entropic Master Dagon. The Atlanteans tend to worship a combination of the Hindu pantheon (Nemo) and Poseidon, which is less of a problem in Hinduism than one might normally think.
Balder: Norse God of Beauty. Still Dead.
I imagine Balder is actually occupying a sort of unwilling "prisoner of love" position in the Underworld like Persephone does in Hades realm. Amusingly, while he's incapable of leaving the Underworld, I doubt there's anything that prevents him from visiting the various underworlds.

In short, Hades and Hel are going to be TICKED when they realize their consorts have left with each other!
Odur: Norse God of the Sun. Like the Greek Helios, he drives a chariot to race across the sky, dragging the Sun with him before retiring every night. ...In Asgard, that is. Although in Midgard, he does have the power to create light and flames like a living Sun.
I imagine the Western Branch of the White Lotus Society (a name they HATE) probably has a lot of Nordic Vampire Hunters who worship him.
Although Thrym hates Ymir for many more reasons, namely insulting his ancestor's memory, and inspiring nearly half of the Frost Giant community to give up their war-mongering ways to live in Peace.
Plus, the Female Frost Giants, who are conspicously attractive types according to Conan and many Nordic deities LOVE the guy.
Not all of them are of heroic nature however, and those who visit Valhalla will be disconcerted to see Nazis, Terrorists and a few Supervillains among the ranks of the Einherjar. This is because the Valkyries seek Valor and Battleskill, rather then Virtuous Hearts.
One of the prime reasons Ymir will NEVER join with the Norse deities.
They are the most common "Cannon Fodder" sent by Odin to fight against Ymir or other missions to Midgard. As dying means they'll only be resurrected in Valhalla, the Einherjar are absolutely fearless.
"Hordes of anachronistic warriors are in downtown LOS DIOS!"
"Must be Tuesday."

RomLoneWolf23
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by RomLoneWolf23 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:54 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:I imagine Selkies in the Romverse worship Manaan MacLir and other Celtic deities. The Merrow worship the Entropic Master Dagon. The Atlanteans tend to worship a combination of the Hindu pantheon (Nemo) and Poseidon, which is less of a problem in Hinduism than one might normally think.
Considering the sheer number of Sea Gods, there's a lot of options here.
I imagine Balder is actually occupying a sort of unwilling "prisoner of love" position in the Underworld like Persephone does in Hades realm. Amusingly, while he's incapable of leaving the Underworld, I doubt there's anything that prevents him from visiting the various underworlds.

In short, Hades and Hel are going to be TICKED when they realize their consorts have left with each other!
Well, yeah I figured Balder has ended up as Hel's personal boytoy. I just found it amusing to sum up his write-up as "Still Dead."
I imagine the Western Branch of the White Lotus Society (a name they HATE) probably has a lot of Nordic Vampire Hunters who worship him.
And Odur rewards that worship well; weapons engraved with his Runes are highly effective against Vampires.
Plus, the Female Frost Giants, who are conspicously attractive types according to Conan and many Nordic deities LOVE the guy.
Well, Ymir definitely likes the smaller female Frost Giants. It's the ones who are as big as the Males who kinda scare him. Remember the Amazon Women of Futurama?
One of the prime reasons Ymir will NEVER join with the Norse deities.
In their defense, some those Einherjar who used to be villains in life have undergone Heel Face Turns over the years; while the Souls of Valhalla are reborn every evening after the day's battles, they suffer and die for real during those battles, and few is the Einherjar who doesn't spend the first few years (or decades) realizing just how horrible War truely is. And then they slowly get used to the horrors, which makes them even scarier.
"Hordes of anachronistic warriors are in downtown LOS DIOS!"
"Must be Tuesday."
Even though Ymir is used to fighting the Einherjar by now, one shouldn't underestimate them. Not only are they not as anachronistic as they often pretend to be, but as mentioned above, each one of them has died so often, usually in very imaginatively brutal ways. This has had the effect of making them all nearly immune to pain. Remember that scene in Fellowship of the Ring where the Uruk-Hai Lurtz just pulls himself up the spear through his chest to keep attacking Aragorn? Or better yet, Monty Python's Black Knight? Cut a Einherjar in half, and he'll just drag his way to you to trip you down and choke you with his intestines while he still can.
-Exit the LoneWolf

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Asgard and the Aesir II

Post by Libra » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:17 pm

I'd like to salute you, Lone Wolf, for a very solid set of Asgard write-ups. :D
Aegir has a strong rivalry with Poseidon, and is worshipped by a few rogue Atlanteans.
The Atlanteans tend to worship a combination of the Hindu pantheon (Nemo) and Poseidon, which is less of a problem in Hinduism than one might normally think.
I rather like the idea (either Crinos' or Mighty Davidson's, I think) that the Freedom City Atlanteans basically worship or at least seek to placate every single sea 'god' and not a few freshwater 'gods' as well, albeit usually under a name taken from Greco-Roman mythology.

The various 'deities' of this syncretic pantheon doubtless enjoy the extra worshippers and devote a lot of their time to The City Under the Sea (I'd be astonished if Theseus didn't hold the title 'Champion of the Sea-Gods' a responsibility which he greets with varying degrees of enthusiasm, depending on who the 'God' calling upon his services happens to be precisely).

Balder

I love your succinct summation of Baldur's situation - I would also suggest that Loki's regret for his death is somewhat undermined by the fact he made sure Baldur stayed dead by refusing to mourn for him when every other being in creation did.
I imagine Balder is actually occupying a sort of unwilling "prisoner of love" position in the Underworld like Persephone does in Hades realm.
I confess that I prefer to interpret Hades' relationship with Persephone as (surprisingly) the happiest in all Olympus, but one much complicated by Demeter's complete opposition to it. Hades gets so much bad press that I believe even a villainous portrayal of him deserves a positive element, if only to confound expectations.

I can get behind the idea that Hel (in her lighter moods) would really love to make Baldur her snuggle-bunny, but that Baldur (and Nanna, his favourite lady) are proving somewhat resistant to the idea.

Freya

I confess that I syncretise HED! Freya with Frigg, to represent the politiking that must have went on after Woden subdued and then assimilated the Vanir (also because I thought it would be fun to have a sophisticated, older-seeming Nordic 'Goddess' of Love to further distinguish her from Aphrodite and Bast).

I suspect that your own portrayal of Asgard and it's residents will become canon for my version of the World of Freedom, however! :D

Frigga

I love this portrayal of Frigga - it makes a lot of sense to me that the only wife Odin can stand to keep coming back to on a daily basis would be his intellectual peer and in her own way just as devious.

Heimdall

Loki would suggest Heimdall wasn't up to scratch - he'd hold a grudge against a deity who beat him at one of his own games (shapeshifting, in this case).

I actually really like the idea that Heimdall is basically Asgard's secret service (since he hears and sees all) but that he feels bound to his post to the point where he is basically fettered there except in case of extreme emergency or when he thinks he'll only be a short while.

Hel

I'd suggest that in addition to her bifurcated visage, Hel has a dualistic personality, veering between 'gothic melancholia' and 'perky goth' at irregular intervals, although she's almost always a rather nice person.

Hermod

"Look like him? How could I possibly look like him when I resemble him so? how on Earth and in Olympus - ASGARD! - could you mistake me for him with a false beard? My beard is perfectly real and easily-shaven! It's not my fault no-one has ever seen us in the same place at the same time and that no comparison can therefore be made! I Curse that raffishly handsome Greek, his perfectly-sculpted legs and razor-sharp wits!"

<Everybody else leaves>.

"Sometimes it's just TOO easy - now shall I find where they hide the good scandals around here or shall I create some?"

Odur
The German branch, most likely - I suspect the Anglo-American Branch is more Judeo-Christian with a side of SCIENCE when it comes to Vampire Hunting, though I'd be surprised if they hadn't done him some favours in the past.

Sif
It's usually joked in Asgard that the only thing that makes Thor quake in his boots is Sif' roaring out his name in Anger. Those jokes quickly die out with one of Sif's glares.
I like to imagine that she's either much shorter than Thor (though by no means petite) or that she's so tall she makes him look like Scott Free next to Big Barda!

Surtur

There are good reasons the Vikings hated Jotunn and Surtur tops the list!

Einherjar
In their defense, some those Einherjar who used to be villains in life have undergone Heel Face Turns over the years; while the Souls of Valhalla are reborn every evening after the day's battles, they suffer and die for real during those battles, and few is the Einherjar who doesn't spend the first few years (or decades) realizing just how horrible War truely is.
Doubtless Otto Skorzeny feels that he's found his true calling!
Not all of them are of heroic nature however, and those who visit Valhalla will be disconcerted to see Nazis, Terrorists and a few Supervillains among the ranks of the Einherjar.
Then there are fellows like Sigurd or Von Richthofen, who may not be very nice people but are certainly Heroic. For some curious reason no-ones ever seen Beowulf in the Golden Hall and mention of his name tends to produce a rather embarrased silence, along with a rather alarming throbbing vein in Odin's brow.

Samson always smiles when he ehars about that one, but he's never bothered to explain why.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:15 pm

Don't forget Rommel! Asgard could certainly use a magnificent bastard like him. :wink:
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:30 pm

They already have two, in Woden and Loki! In all honesty it occurs to me that the circumstances of Rommel's death may render him ineligible for a seat in the Golden Hall, assuming he would wish to take one up.

(Though I suppose you could make an argument that a number of WWII Axis soldiers would happily accept such a position in lieu of Hell, even if they themselves did not honour the Aesir in life).

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:35 pm

Libra wrote:They already have two, in Woden and Loki! In all honesty it occurs to me that the circumstances of Rommel's death may render him ineligible for a seat in the Golden Hall, assuming he would wish to take one up.

(Though I suppose you could make an argument that a number of WWII Axis soldiers would happily accept such a position in lieu of Hell, even if they themselves did not honour the Aesir in life).
This page says otherwise! 8)
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra