[Fantasy and Sci-Fi] The Winterwier and Black Hole thread

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Re: [Fantasy and Sci-Fi] The Winterwier and Black Hole thread

Postby Phrozen » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:20 pm

Oh General Venom would be Eris all the way. He is just one of the nastier more forceful ones. I would imagine "The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." is practically their motto. They just disagree on methods and whom the tyrants are.

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:26 pm

Well the thing is, I don't want to make the Mightyverse all about the Conspiracy. It is a player certainly but it's not the be all and end all of everything. Yes the Conspiracy has a lot of power in the Mightyverse but regardless of what they'd have you belive, they do not control the entire world from behind the scenes though they've become quite talented at making people think so. Encounters with pulp heroes and superheroes over the years, not to mention the efforts of supervillains, have done a great deal to prevent the Conspiracy from gaining the control they'd like to have.

Also, the shadow war that figured into the origins of Doc Steel and Alexander Steele among others also did quite a bit of damage as the factional warfare hindered the Conspiracy's business quite a bit. Most of it engineered by Taurus of course, since the Minotaur wants to rule the whole orginisation and, of course, the world. That Daedalus was attempting to use the Conspiracy to his own ends only made his actions all the sweeter.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:32 pm

Taurus would've eviscerated and feasted on Minos as an act of revenge if anythings certain. :twisted:
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:46 pm

In the Mightyverse I expect the Conspiracy is far weaker. It's larger than PHANTOM probably but has probably been on the decline since the Age of Heroes got started. A lot of the Conspiracies are probably aware of it but they are too powerful and/or independent to be subverted completely.

I.e. they might have agents in Dame Holmes personal staff but they don't own her.

"When people say they have people everywhere, you assume it's hyperbole. You don't assume they mean in the same room!"

I imagine Alex would get along with Miss Hemingway.

I also expect Jacob Hunter could also be a former agent gone Rogue in an amusingly public way. It might explain why he's a super-spy NO ONE HAS ANY RECORD OF.

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:22 pm

You seem to have misunderstood me earlier Charles. Dame Michelle Holmes isn't watched by the Agency and she doesn't work for the Agency, for all intents and purposes she IS the Agency. She's essentially taken full control of that faction of the Conspiracy and basically made it part of the Foundation of World Harmony, though obviously she's not told anybody the full strength of her orginisation. She took them over when she was restructuring the Foundation and been using the Agency's resources to curtail SHADOW, PHANTOM, Overthrow, Death's Head and the nastier bits of the Conspiracy ever since. Should the need arise she's quite prepared to take down the entire Conspiracy should it become neccesary to protect the world.

As for the rest of it, you're pretty much correct Charles. Due to various reasons The Conspiracy never became as powerful in the Mightyverse as it did in it's original setting. These reasons include superhero interference, the Labyrinth's machinations and the Temporal Security Agency doing their level best to keep time travelling Terra'ssar from messing with Earth's past.

In fact in the Mightyverse the Leviathan faction is basically a giant con. While The Scorpion does indeed have a lot of resources to call upon he is not even close to controlling all the crime in the world and goes to great lengths to prevent the other factions from discovering that since they'd waste no time eliminating him if they discovered the truth. He does control a large faction of the Russian Mafia and is part of the International Crime Cartel, so he does have enough resources to convincingly maintain said con while he endeavours to take over the ICC and the Black Hand which would make turn his lie into the truth.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:11 pm

No, I presume she'd take over after her retirement.

I was just commenting on how they'd react to her in a setting where she wasn't a member.

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:No, I presume she'd take over after her retirement.

I was just commenting on how they'd react to her in a setting where she wasn't a member.

Oh I see, my apologies for misunderstanding you then.

I thought she'd take over before her retirement, as she'd want to get resources such as those the Agency possesses under her control as soon as she could.

Also, it's a pity you're not releasing Had To Be Done as it's own book. It sounds like a setting I'd love to play in, of course the same is true of Black Hole and Winterweir. :D

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Yeah, I'd hate to go out on a limb here, but have you considered using Kickstarter, Charles?

From what I've been seeing and hearing, it's becoming something of a holy grail for indie publishing and the like.

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Voltron64 wrote:Yeah, I'd hate to go out on a limb here, but have you considered using Kickstarter, Charles?

From what I've been seeing and hearing, it's becoming something of a holy grail for indie publishing and the like.

Ironically, the problem isn't my love of the material. The problem is that I'm working on releasing three novels as opposed to RPGs now.

A Lovecraftian Post-Apocalypse novel.
A Superhero Parody (with actual characterization and plot)

Plus actually, Has To be Done as a novel. Though more about fighting Supernaturals in a sort of supernatural CIA of sorts.

It was just too good of a title to waste.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:04 am

Notable Anti-Factions

D.O.O.M

Dynamic Order for Organized Killing is just one of the many deranged projects to come out of the Natural Philosophers. Apparently, unlimited funding and nano-assemblers leads many scientists to abuses of power. As described above, D.O.O.M Is composed primarily of clones who exist for the purpose of the Natural Philosophers testing their cloned agents against them.

D.O.O.M is unaware of this as well as the fact that all of their agents are tagged so that if the Natural Philosophers want to destroy them, they can. They believe, erroneously, they are a refugee organization of escaped clones and superhuman projects who are fighting for freedom to live in peace away from the Conspiracy.

D.O.O.M does this by dealing in heroin, guns, extortion, and other criminal activity to finance their one-sided war with the Conspiracy. Its members are not incompetent but lack the kind of superhuman paranoia and skill to pose a real danger to the Conspiracy. The Conspiracy considers D.O.O.M to be an organization for testing Junior Agents against when the Natural Philosophers aren't using it for field testing. To be assigned "DOOM Duty" is considered a career ender. Which is sad since the many colorful 'villains' populating it are so EARNEST.

The Fair Folk

Remnants of the original demigod-like leaders of the Conspiracies who have interbred with human-animal hybrids from space. The Fair Folk possess technology to create pocket dimensions they inhabit and fill with all manner of luxuries. Their interests do not seem to be world domination but they routinely engage in kidnapping, murder, and terrorist attacks (the later seemingly existing as a kind of sport for them).

The Conspiracy would like to wipe these pocket-universes all out but have found that the retaliation against them is often too dangerous to risk. Also, not all of them consider the strange otherworlds necessarily deserving of genocide because they're not human. Instead, an uneasy peace treaty exists where agents are routinely required to deal with them on a level of equals, negotiating terms and seeking down violators of these acts.

And every now and then a bunch of Powries tries to eat a town and they have to break out the flamethrowers.

The Fifth Column

The insanity of the Fifth Column is difficult to put into words but the short version is a Slythin Warlord from the Kashoot Empire attempted to settle on Earth in order to rebuild his forces. His flagship was shot out of the sky before he could destroy the ruler of the planet and declare himself ruler of the planet in the 1950s. Unfortunately, Karrgh didn't die in the process and successfully landed his ruined vessel somewhere in the Antarctic. The Conspiracy still hasn't found it and this bothers them.

During the 1950s, the future Fifth Column proceeded to engage in all manner of evil plots against the Conspiracy. They did Giant Ants, mutant monsters, genetically engineered psychic children who existed in a gestalt, and their spore-based clones who were totally loyal to them. The Conspiracy thwarted these plans one after the other and killed numerous members of Kang's crew. It was assumed the organization would be wrapped up very soon.

Then they formed their damn cult. The Slythin and their hybrid children created a insane UFO-based philosophy of spirituality with the assistance of a demented science fiction author (no, not that one, though you'll be forgiven for thinking so). Offering all manner of New Age promises and technology to their assistance, the Slythin settled down for the long hall of taking over planet Earth. The Fifth Column is a tough nut to crack, especially since its advanced technology means they can be a LOT wackier than most foes of the Conspiracy.

The Invaders

Another group of bad guys who arrived from Space in the 1950s, the Invaders are actually an extension of the Hive. After the initial attempts to seed the planet were defeated with stunning precision and several battleships were destroyed outright, the Overmind of the Hive determined there was something strange about the planet Earth. Seeding the planet with brainwashing capable Queens as well as pods that created human-replicants, the Overmind began an experiment to subvert the planet on its own.

The early Invaders were pretty easy to spot as they were bald, albino, and soulless. They pretended to have government clearance to get access to much of the Conspiracy's stockpiles of alien technology before arming themselves with it. The Conspiracy is still kicking itself for falling for this. The new Invaders, however, are much better at mimicking human behavior. Indeed, they are fully human in beliefs and attitudes except for the fact they have no free will. Several have actually committed suicide or gone insane after they suddenly engaged in terrorism or mass murder for no apparent reason.

The Invaders have a simple goal, replace all of humanity and/or cripple the defenses of Earth so the rest of the Hive can be invited. The Conspiracy has thwarted several attempts at this, plus a number of attempts at inciting nuclear Armageddon. The Invaders are patient, however, since their numbers can only grow.

The Iron Phoenix

A bugbear that the Conspiracy consistently has been toting out since 1945. The Iron Phoenix is supposedly a secret society of Nazis which is working for the overthrow of Modern Civilization and the installation of a worldwide Fourth Reich.

No one believes it, though.

Conspiracy members are taught to be skeptical of anything they're told by their superiors and it's difficult to believe that the Nazis could still be alive and kicking in any reasonable capacity almost seven decades later. Most people believe the Iron Phoenix is just a bugbear they trot out when they need someone assassinated.
Rumors about how the Iron Phoenix operates ranges from the plausible (they are a collection of racist old businessmen who hate other races) to the insane (they're demon worshiping lizardmen).

A lot of these rumors are contradictory and no one particularly believes either of them. After all, how would an organization like the Iron Phoenix even recruit in the Modern Era? They'd be relics, anachronisms, and so on.
Still, it's still listed as an active terrorist organization in the archives and one of the major threats to the

Conspiracy.

Strange.

The Martyr

Technically, Al-Shaheed, the Martyr comes off as a typical jihadist organization which seems to loathe the West and desires fundamentalist theocratic Islam to have a predominate place in any government. The usual rhetoric is done against Israel, the United States, and so on. Well, maybe it's better written but Al-Shaheed is not considered to be a particularly noteworthy group by the Conspiracy.

Which is unfortunate, because it's one of the most dangerous.

The first thing that Conspirators should know is the Martyr is not a jihadist organization. Certainly, the rank-and-file contain an expansive number of highly religious terrorists and killers. However, the Martyr's middle managers actually serve as brokers and assistants for local organizations of them. It doesn't matter who the locals are fighting, they'll happily supply arms and training.

The upper ranks are completely surprising. They're a group of arms traffickers, oil sheiks, bankers, and media barons. Several of them aren't even Muslim. The Martyr exists for the purposes of influencing world policy and weakening the Conspiracy so its members can profit. Some of the Inner Circle are members of the Conspiracy themselves but use the Martyr as a deniable bugbear so they can line their pockets in the resulting chaos.

The current plan is to have Al-Shaheed become the next big enemy for the world only for the organization to be rolled up before they start again.

The Purity

The Purity is kind of well, pure, in its simplicity. There's no real ambiguity to its goals. It's an organization of Caucasians of European and American descent who want to kill or enslave all people who aren't. They're not too fond of homosexuals or Jews either. The Purity is sort of an annoyance to the Conspiracy because it regularly receives assistance from older members of the organization who react badly to the fact modern people may be associating with their fellow man as equals.

The Purity isn't a large organization, as such things go, but they don't have to be. The group is disturbingly smart for a bunch of ignorant racists. They work on microbiological plagues that will terrorize ethnic groups, sell weapons to factions who are going to engage in genocide, hamper relief efforts, and foster positive portrayals of groups that will lead to varying forms of oppression. They're aware that their beliefs are going against the tides of history but still consider their fight to be a matter of principle.

A number of Purity Members have become interested in the cloning projects (see Serena Hemingway) of the Natural Philosophers. The idea they can create a virtually infinite number of ethnically pure soldiers for their use. It's insane, they're aware, but might be better than the alternative. The Purity maintains numerous militias they arm and train as soldiers for their cause, more than most people would believe possible.

The Scarlet Hand

Your fellow Conspirator could be a member of the Scarlet Hand.
You could be and not know it.
All we know is they want to destroy the Conspiracy.
Completely.
They're everywhere.
Beware.

-Anonymous e-mail message from one of the Kings, later denied.

The official position of the Conspiracy is the Scarlet Hand does not exist. Yet, there seems to be no end of uses of its symbol and operatives out to destroy the Conspiracy but who can't be traced back to any organization. Is it real? Is it a meme? No one knows.

The end.
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Phrozen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:16 pm

I would really like to know about the Kings for the other factions.

Is it odd that I see the Natural Philosophers as a much more competent yet more nerdy AIM? I can almost guess their King being named the Scientist Supreme.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:34 pm

Phrozen wrote:I would really like to know about the Kings for the other factions.

Is it odd that I see the Natural Philosophers as a much more competent yet more nerdy AIM? I can almost guess their King being named the Scientist Supreme.

Not a bad description. The Natural Philosophers include many people recruited during their sociopathic teen years who grow up to be sociopathic adults. It doesn't mean the organization is completely evil but the organization is bitterly divided amongst the Utopians who want to make the world a better place and people who believe in utterly unfettered science.

Then there's the guys who believe in Utopias of Unfettered Science!

The big cause of this is with magic, science can be bent to do almost ANYTHING given enough time. Magic doesn't fix everything but if you can build a laser gun which NORMALLY would overheat after one shot, you can cast a spell that fixes overheating and you suddenly have something from Star Trek. This leads to quite a few Natural Philosophers developing god complexes.

(The cloning fiasco above is what you get when you combine modern biology with alchemical homonoculus)

Any requests? I'm happy to do more Kings as well as other characters/factions anything.

:-)

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Phrozen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Well, the Kings of Eris and the Natural Philosophers are my top two. I mean what kind of person can keep all their various cabals moving in some sort of common goal. Though I would like to hear about them all eventually.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:54 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:
Phrozen wrote:I would really like to know about the Kings for the other factions.

Not a bad description. The Natural Philosophers include many people recruited during their sociopathic teen years who grow up to be sociopathic adults. It doesn't mean the organization is completely evil but the organization is bitterly divided amongst the Utopians who want to make the world a better place and people who believe in utterly unfettered science.

Then there's the guys who believe in Utopias of Unfettered Science!

The big cause of this is with magic, science can be bent to do almost ANYTHING given enough time. Magic doesn't fix everything but if you can build a laser gun which NORMALLY would overheat after one shot, you can cast a spell that fixes overheating and you suddenly have something from Star Trek. This leads to quite a few Natural Philosophers developing god complexes.

(The cloning fiasco above is what you get when you combine modern biology with alchemical homonoculus)

Any requests? I'm happy to do more Kings as well as other characters/factions anything.

:-)

So to quote Planetary...

"Magic's just signal, just information... You've seen me playing computer games... heard me talking about cheat codes. Things I can say to the computer that alter things in the game environment. Magic words. Magic is the cheat codes for the world. Sending a signal to reality's operating system, see?"

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:03 pm

Maxwell Bourbon
King of the Enlightenment

Maxwell Bourbon was a successful lawyer in the first decade of the 20th century. A highly educated and studious man, Maxwell would have risen to the highest pinnacles of his profession if not for the small matter of his skin color. Maxwell could know the entire United States legal code backwards and forward plus possess a genius far outstripping the majority of his peers but it would never allow him to visit the 'Whites Only' men's clubs or sit in the front of a trolley.

Maxwell Bourbon was initially under the impression the people approaching him with an offer of something better were communists. He almost lost his chance at joining the Conspiracy by driving them out but they came back with a demonstration of their power. Magic. Subjecting them to several tests that he'd learned from Erich Weiss, Max accepted that they were telling the truth. They offered him unlimited access to knowledge, wealth, and political influence in exchange for his soul.

Maxwell was an atheist anyway so he didn't see much of a problem making such a bargain. Later, he would learn that such a thing existed but he had already developed a rather Utilitarian outlook that made him believe the small evils he committed for the Conspiracy were more than justified by the larger goods he worked towards. He was never a Knight of the Conspiracy, moving directly to the rank of Bishop and became an avid writer of letters to his fellow Enlightenment members.

Maxwell occasionally encountered some of the old racism in the Conspiracy but mostly found his fellows surprisingly cosmopolitan. He was present at the Treaty of Versailles, influencing events on behalf of the Conspiracy to dismantle many of the Old Empires. Like many, he successfully predicted the League of Nations would fail and the reparations on Germany would result in that country re-arming more angry than ever.

Maxwell attempted to inform Woodrow Wilson of this fact but if you know anything about the man, you'll understand why that didn't go so well.

Maxwell rose to the rank of Queen during World War 2, assisting numerous Jews in escaping Nazi Germany. This uncharacteristic philanthropy is something he's wondered about but is something he attributes to a desire to see educated people protected from stupid barbarians.

Maxwell is a doggedly neutral figure who is largely removed from the small picture, caring only about results in the most abstract way. All that keeps him from being evil in the way he causally manipulates kings and countries is that he's completely without malice and genuinely VERY GOOD at deducing what is genuinely for the greater good of the many.

Maxwell didn't actively participate in the War but used the Enlightenment's considerable resources to make sure that the Russians were resupplied regularly in order to bleed the Nazis from the East while leaving them vulnerable to the West. Maxwell predicted, had they not done so, Stalin would have actually conquered most of Europe when the Americans got bogged down.

Maxwell spent much of the Cold War enhancing the Enlightenment's position by placing its members throughout Academia and preparing for when the "internet" would be publicized. Maxwell, himself, had already been involved in the proliferation of television and believed this was just part of a larger aim to educate the populace as a whole. The fact he considers most of television and the internet to be drivel means little to him. Still, the dawn of the Information Age was enough that the previous King of the Enlightenment decreed that the Akashic Record should be passed down to Maxwell when he stepped down.

While not unique, the Enlightenment is rare in the fact its Kings almost uniformly voluntarily surrender power. This is due to the fact that retired Enlightenment Kings merge with the Akashic Record to become Aeons or beings of pure knowledge.

The Akashic Record gave Maxwell complete access to the entire history of humanity's written knowledge. Which, if not omniscience, was close enough to this. Obviously, the rest of the Conspiracy doesn't realize the entirety of secrets is completely transparent to the Enlightenment and always has been. Maxwell intends to keep it this way, subtly manipulating all the various factions to eventually bring humanity into the light.
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”