The Mightyverse!

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

The Mightyverse!

Postby MightyDavidson » Wed May 06, 2009 4:07 pm

Greetings and salutations!!

Inspired by Charles Phipps' Halt Evil Doer Megaverse thread, the Freedomverse thread (Libra's work if I'm not mistaken) and Crinos' Crinoverse thread, I've decided to make my own setting featuring elements from Halt Evil Doer, Freedom City, Bedlam City and the Algernon Files.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome as always. To start us off here's something on the League of Silence.

The League of Silence

The League of Silence's role was basically to serve as the "generic college of evil wizards" that was a major concern to the entire world around the year 1920 to tie into H.P. Lovecraft and all the other cruel and evil Masonic plots that everyone was assuming they were behind. Ironically, by that time, the League of Silence's heyday was already over and the world was just feeling the backlash from their activities that had been planned in decades past. By that time, the League of Silence had already abandoned most of its goals and ceased to care about their myriad plots to destroy the world and achieve immortality.

The modern League of Silence is one part terrifying and one part sort of pathetic. Around 1908, one hundred years ago, it was the most feared group of evil mystical ritual performing weirdos in the world that Aleister Crowley would make a living spoofing the activities of. World domination, eternal youth, femine slaves bound to one's will, and so on were all on their pallet. Now in 2008, the vast majority of the group are a group of isolated Crafts and Halls that are mostly old men who extended their lifespans but can't escape the fact they won't live longer than maybe 150.

Note: Eternal life is less of a goal when you have to spend the rest of your life with no teeth and need to go to bed at 6:30. Any of the League of Silence who wanted to become vampires or undead creatures achieved that long ago and went on to depart the league for more groups with better ambitions. Most are reasonably content to die if the alternative is eternal life as a crippled old codger, which most are. The youngest members now really are in their sixties and have done little to recruit new ones.

Despite the fact that its a fairly defunct group now, the League of Silence is potentially tremendously dangerous. The first fact is that for a society of Cranky Old Men with magical powers, every single member of the League is a sociopathic little ball of hate. They may use their powers in petty ways but that doesn't mean that they can't be dangerous to innocent lives. Turning your granddaughter's loser boyfriend into a mouse and feeding him to the cat is only funny when you don't actually have someone do it. Superheroes may overlook the horrible murders and ruined lives of normal people simply because they don't see villains being usually so...petty.

The League of Silence also has a rather peculiar ritual that it practices. The Last Hurrah. Basically, whenever a League of Silence members longevity magics begin to fail. He begins to put his affairs in order. This is when, effectively, the leaguer actually develops some ambition in life again. Usually, this means going out to cause as much mayhem as possible in some suitably spectacular way. Many superheroes miss the connection when a League of Silencer turns an entire New England village into cats or attempts to sacrifice a city to Astaroth. This is mostly his attempt to get back at everyone before he dies.

Finally, the League of Silence ITSELF is pathetic, but if it bothered to recruit ambitious new members then the group itself has some of the largest collection of arcane lore in the world assembled just for the Hell of it. Were the League to finally die out, a group of enterprising new occultists might discover vast amounts of arcane power that they could use to become a serious world shaking threat. It's just most of the original League didn't assemble this lore until it was really too late and they do it now mostly as packrats.

It should be noted that there is no connection between the League of Silence and the Brotherhood of Silence which was a group of assassins that were absorbed into the International Crime League. Though both groups had been known to do assassinations, The League of Silence did them only rarely as mere murder for hire wasn't loathsome enough for them.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Wed May 06, 2009 6:56 pm

Great plan, MD!

I can't wait to see where you go with this.

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Wed May 06, 2009 8:11 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:Great plan, MD!

I can't wait to see where you go with this.

Thanks Charles. I think I'll give my take on the various aliens running around in the cosmos near Earth.

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Wed May 06, 2009 9:16 pm

The Galaxy At Large.

In the grand scheme of things Earth is not yet a major player in galactic politics, though many of thier near neighbors are starting to worry that this might change in the future. For the longest time Earth was considered little more then a backwater planet, a good place to hide if you were a fugitive from galactic justice and the locals were fairly easy to terrorise if one was into that sort of thing but despite rumours of space pirates disappearing there from time to time, it wasn't a place of great importance.

Of course now that Earth has repelled invasions from the Grue, the Thran, the Tsavong and Orkus it's getting a lot more attention. Though adventurers from Earth had travelled amongst the galactic community before they were believed to be anomalies rather then an indication of the general power level of the human race. Learning that they were mistaken was quite a shock to the galactic community.

The fact that an orginization on Earth (Majestic-13 though the galactic community doesn't know it's called that yet) is reverse engineering alien technology and making it's own star fleet has caused no small alarm.

Currently the Lor Republic and the Saeduun Commonwealth have a treaty to protect Earth to the best of thier ability for reasons of their own. The Lor have encountered many of the spacetravelling humans thus far and Cogito and Daedelus are considered two of the Republic's greatest heroes. Aside from that, Earth's proximity to Lor space would make it an excellent staging point for an invasion should a hostile force succeed in conquering it. The Saeduun on the other hand belive that humanity is the key to reversing the genetic stagnation of thier people and are thus quite willing to keep humanity around.

The Thran, the Grue and the Star-Khan naturally wish to conquer the place and the Thran and Grue in particular are eager for revenge for past defeats at the hands of Earth's superheroes. The Tsavong on the other hand are taking a surprisingly non-violent approach to things. Engaged as they are in a violent war with the Grue the Master Tsavong are naturally interested in anything that can enable them to get an advantage over thier hated enemies. Thus the Master Tsavong have decided to infiltrate the Earth in order to capture suitable subjects to see if thier DNA can be added to that of the Tsavong. The Warrior Tsavong are likewise attempting to mate with suitable subjects to make thier species more powerful.

The Mihral Dominion and the Voth Imperium are taking a wait and see attitude toward the situation. Since they are strengthening thier borders against a possible Thran invasion they don't really have the resources to spare to deal with the Earth just now.

The Chidoro and the P'Ahq are basically species for hire and will do anything they are employed to do. Currently Star-Khan has hired a large number of P'Ahg to strengthen his armies as part of his regular attempts to conquer known space.

The Jerreid Hegemony still belives that all humans are basically psychotic maniacs due to what happened to thier emissary Amusz M'sez when they were stranded on Earth. Thus they are quite alarmed to learn that Earth is apparently building thier own starfleet. Fearing the beast known as Man, they're convinced that a human starfleet will be a threat akin to the Thran or the Grue and are planning a preemptive strike against the Earth to end the threat. Since the Jerried are normally reasonable people both the Saeduun and the Lor worry that something is manipulating the alligator people into this rash action.

The Grigori are neutral as always. The Saeduun have petioned them to intervene on Earth's behalf at least untill the situation regarding them becomes more clear. The Grigori are taking it under advisement.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Wed May 06, 2009 10:49 pm

Mighty Davidson wrote:Of course now that Earth has repelled invasions from the Grue, the Thran, the Tsavong and Orkus it's getting a lot more attention. Though adventurers from Earth had travelled amongst the galactic community before they were believed to be anomalies rather then an indication of the general power level of the human race. Learning that they were mistaken was quite a shock to the galactic community.

There's actually a joke about it in Heroic Earth's never published "Space Guide" that might never sadly see the Light of Day thanks to Black Hole. Roughly, there's saying equivalent to "Never start a land war in Asia." In the case of Earth, it's "Never attempt to invade Earth. Especially, if you're an expanionistic empire at the height of your power. Nothing works and all tactics fail by contrived coincidence."

But I like the fugitives line.

Mighty Davidson wrote:The fact that an orginization on Earth (Majestic-13 though the galactic community doesn't know it's called that yet) is reverse engineering alien technology and making it's own star fleet has caused no small alarm.

I doubt it'll actually make all that much difference in a galactic fleet battle, which might involve millions of ships, but I bet that people are pretty terrified of the fact that Earthlings can pretty much just start moving around the galaxy now and striking back with their weird genetic abberations.

Mighty Davidson wrote:The Saeduun on the other hand belive that humanity is the key to reversing the genetic stagnation of thier people and are thus quite willing to keep humanity around.

I wonder if any of Earth's more advanced cultures like the Lunar people or Hyboreans have any contact with space.

Mighty Davidson wrote:Thus the Master Tsavong have decided to infiltrate the Earth in order to capture suitable subjects to see if thier DNA can be added to that of the Tsavong. The Warrior Tsavong are likewise attempting to mate with suitable subjects to make thier species more powerful.

Tsavong Masters are basically Grue/Tsavong with giant brains. Thus, they pretty much are the Heroic Earth equivalent of Grays, except a lot grosser.

Mighty Davidson wrote:The Warrior Tsavong are likewise attempting to mate with suitable subjects to make thier species more powerful.

Sex with a shapeshifting alien who can be anyone or being dissected by super intelligent gigantic brain aliens. Gee, I wonder which I'd prefer.

Mighty Davidson wrote:The Grigori are neutral as always. The Saeduun have petioned them to intervene on Earth's behalf at least until the situation regarding them becomes more clear. The Grigori are taking it under advisement.

Presumably, they'll dither around and be useless except to empower some champion. Much like the Guardians of the Universe or the Jedi Council.

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Thu May 07, 2009 9:38 am

You're probably right about the Grigori. Of course if they went around curbstomping all the evil in the universe it'd be a pretty dull universe, so I suppose it's a good thing they don't really wanna get involved. :lol:

I had forgotten about the Hyboreans and the Lunars though, so thanks for reminding me about them.

The Hyboreans of course are an isolationist people (if we're thinking about the same people.) So while they probably have the ability to contact aliens if they could, they likely haven't bothered to do so. Especially if they only know the aliens who've invaded. After all they're not communicating with humanity because of thier violent nature, so they're not likely to contact a species who's more violent. They might get on well with the Grigori should they ever encounter them.

The Lunars of course have come into contact with any alien that ever tried to conquer the Earth. They famously provided the Moonstone to allow Earth's heroes to defeat the Grue and aided Earth's heroes in the defeat of the Tsavong and the Thran. To the Grue and the Tsavong, the Lunars aren't terribly important and looked upon as sort of a bonus to conquering Earth itself.

The Thran are far more problematic. During thier invasion the Thran found out about the Moonstone when Chase Atom used it to disable the Thran forces occupying Farside City. Naturally the Thran are interested in such a powerful artifact and are looking to obtain it anyway that they can.

Likewise the intergalactic crime cartel known as the Black Dawn is likewise interested in the Moonstone. In fact Lady Lunar has hired them to steal it for her.

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Fri May 08, 2009 9:13 pm

Galactic Relations

The Grigori are neutral, they always have been and nobody in the galaxy can imagine that changing any time soon. In fact it would take an event on the level of a full scale galactic invasion by the Entropic Masters, freeing the Darkness Beyond Time or the King in Yellow to convince the Grigori to break thier neutrality. Generally they only act through intermediaries such as the Galactic Guard, the Temporal Security Agency and the Celestial Order of Wizards. In fact there is only one being the Grigori are known to be allied with and that is the being known as Mentor, who is responsible for the creation of the Star Knights.

The Lor Republic and the Saeduun Commonwealth have signed a mutual defence pact to protect both civilizations against attacks from the Voth Hegemony, the Stellar-Khanate, the Grue, the Tsavong and the Thran. Envoys from both civilizations are trying to get the Jerreid Hegemony to sign the pact as well, though the Republic's and the Commonwealth's protective feelings toward Earth have made the Jerreid leery of doing so.

The Voth Hegemony and the Saeduun Commonwealth have been enemies for many years and have fought several wars. At the moment both civilizations are in a cold war as the Saeduun's mutual defence pact with the Lor Republic have made further attacks on the Saeduun by the Voth tactically unsound. In addition to this, the Thran have annexed what was left of Chidoro space which requires the Voth to focus upon them since the Thran now endanger Voth space. This has not prevented the Voth from sending Chidoro spies under thier command into Saeduun and Lor space in order to break up the alliance between the two.

The Mihral Dominion is also endangered by Thran expansion but they have not sought allies against them as of yet, as they feel it is not logical to do so. Joining the Saeduun/Lor Alliance would anger the Voth after all which is a conflict the Mihral can ill afford at the moment. Likewise allying with the Voth would likely put them on the bad side of the alliance which they cannot afford either. They have however hired a clan of P'Ahq to fortify thier border with the Thran. When the Thran attack, the P'Ahq will be thier first line of defence. They live to test themselves in battle after all, it is only logical for the Mihral to use that to thier advantage.

The Stellar-Khanate doesn't really get along well with anybody, which is only natural since he's made no bones about wanting to conquer everything within the range of his fleet's sensors. He's had conflicts both major and minor with most of the galactic civilizations at one time or another and he is seemingly always attempting to conquer his neighbors or defending himself from retaliation by those neighbors. He is always in need of mercenaries and is the highest employer of the P'Ahq in the galaxy and is said to have the largest number of Chidoro agents outside the Voth Hegemony. He is known to lend his support to a large number of intergalactic terrorist groups as well, in the hopes of destabalizing the civilizations of his enemies that he might conquer them more easily.

The Grue and the Tsavong are at war, a conflict that has been ongoing for years and seems to have no end in sight. The Grue belive that the Tsavong are offshoots of thier race that have become seperated from the Grue Unity and must be reabsorbed or destroyed entirely. The Tsavong belive instead that the Grue are offshoots of -thier- race and that the Grue Unity has only made thier species weak, which is naturally the highest insult the Grue have ever recieved. It should be noted that the Chidoro, who are also shapeshifters, belive that both the Grue and the Tsavong are desceneded from thier species and are inherently inferior. This perhaps explains why Grue and Tsavong tend to shoot the Chidoro on sight.

Like the Stellar-Khanate, the Thran wish to conquer all of known space. Unlike the Star-Khan's troops however, the Thran are numerous and quite powerful. They are also less rash and always choose thier moments to gain the best tactical advantage possible. Though they can strike against the Saeduun Commonwealth and the Lor Republic, they've chosen to fight the Voth and the Mihral instead in the hopes of stealing the secrets of biological technology from the Voth and the secrets of zero point energy sources and exotic energy fields from the Mihral. With these secrets added to thier arsenal, the Thran belive they will be unstoppable.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sat May 09, 2009 10:33 am

Greetings and Salutations, Mighty Davidson! :D

First I'd like to thank you for listing the 'Characterisation in the Freedomverse' thread as one of your inspirations - though I confess that it was Charles' creation, I merely posted the odd idea there - and for starting up what promises to be a fascinating merge.

(I confess that the three settings you list as sources are probably my top three M&M products, although I shall refrain from listing them in precise order to avoid controversy and the potential wrath of creators. :wink: )

I was wondering if you'd object to my posting some ideas that have occurred to me regarding the Merged Universe you describe on this thread or if you would prefer that remain your sole domain?
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Sat May 09, 2009 11:30 am

Libra wrote:Greetings and Salutations, Mighty Davidson! :D

First I'd like to thank you for listing the 'Characterisation in the Freedomverse' thread as one of your inspirations - though I confess that it was Charles' creation, I merely posted the odd idea there - and for starting up what promises to be a fascinating merge.

(I confess that the three settings you list as sources are probably my top three M&M products, although I shall refrain from listing them in precise order to avoid controversy and the potential wrath of creators. :wink: )

I was wondering if you'd object to my posting some ideas that have occurred to me regarding the Merged Universe you describe on this thread or if you would prefer that remain your sole domain?

I don't object at all. As I said in my very first post on this thread: feedback and suggestions are more then welcome. I've already gotten ideas from Charles Phipps (who gave me a lot of assistance with the League of Silence write up) and Aaron Sullivan (who gave me information on the Voth Hegemony and the Mihral Dominion) so I'd be more then happy to listen to your ideas as well Libra.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat May 09, 2009 7:42 pm

Mighty Davidson wrote:You're probably right about the Grigori. Of course if they went around curbstomping all the evil in the universe it'd be a pretty dull universe, so I suppose it's a good thing they don't really wanna get involved. Laughing

I imagine the Grigori also are pretty good about not developing enemies where they can. Let's face it, the reason they probably use proxies is probably because its hard to be immortal if everyone is trying to kill you.

Mighty Davidson wrote:Likewise the intergalactic crime cartel known as the Black Dawn is likewise interested in the Moonstone. In fact Lady Lunar has hired them to steal it for her.

Nice touch there.

Mighty Davidson wrote:The Stellar-Khanate doesn't really get along well with anybody, which is only natural since he's made no bones about wanting to conquer everything within the range of his fleet's sensors. He's had conflicts both major and minor with most of the galactic civilizations at one time or another and he is seemingly always attempting to conquer his neighbors or defending himself from retaliation by those neighbors. He is always in need of mercenaries and is the highest employer of the P'Ahq in the galaxy and is said to have the largest number of Chidoro agents outside the Voth Hegemony. He is known to lend his support to a large number of intergalactic terrorist groups as well, in the hopes of destabalizing the civilizations of his enemies that he might conquer them more easily.

I like your depiction of the Stellar-Khanate. He's a nicely redone version of Ming the Merciless that rules through a lot of other matters through his alliances with mercenaries and petty kings underneath him.

Mighty Davidson wrote:Like the Stellar-Khanate, the Thran wish to conquer all of known space. Unlike the Star-Khan's troops however, the Thran are numerous and quite powerful. They are also less rash and always choose thier moments to gain the best tactical advantage possible. Though they can strike against the Saeduun Commonwealth and the Lor Republic, they've chosen to fight the Voth and the Mihral instead in the hopes of stealing the secrets of biological technology from the Voth and the secrets of zero point energy sources and exotic energy fields from the Mihral. With these secrets added to thier arsenal, the Thran belive they will be unstoppable.

Another extremely nice touch, showing the importance of technology within the various arms races.

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Sat May 09, 2009 9:31 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:
Mighty Davidson wrote:You're probably right about the Grigori. Of course if they went around curbstomping all the evil in the universe it'd be a pretty dull universe, so I suppose it's a good thing they don't really wanna get involved. Laughing

I imagine the Grigori also are pretty good about not developing enemies where they can. Let's face it, the reason they probably use proxies is probably because its hard to be immortal if everyone is trying to kill you.

Mighty Davidson wrote:Likewise the intergalactic crime cartel known as the Black Dawn is likewise interested in the Moonstone. In fact Lady Lunar has hired them to steal it for her.

Nice touch there.

Mighty Davidson wrote:The Stellar-Khanate doesn't really get along well with anybody, which is only natural since he's made no bones about wanting to conquer everything within the range of his fleet's sensors. He's had conflicts both major and minor with most of the galactic civilizations at one time or another and he is seemingly always attempting to conquer his neighbors or defending himself from retaliation by those neighbors. He is always in need of mercenaries and is the highest employer of the P'Ahq in the galaxy and is said to have the largest number of Chidoro agents outside the Voth Hegemony. He is known to lend his support to a large number of intergalactic terrorist groups as well, in the hopes of destabalizing the civilizations of his enemies that he might conquer them more easily.

I like your depiction of the Stellar-Khanate. He's a nicely redone version of Ming the Merciless that rules through a lot of other matters through his alliances with mercenaries and petty kings underneath him.

Mighty Davidson wrote:Like the Stellar-Khanate, the Thran wish to conquer all of known space. Unlike the Star-Khan's troops however, the Thran are numerous and quite powerful. They are also less rash and always choose thier moments to gain the best tactical advantage possible. Though they can strike against the Saeduun Commonwealth and the Lor Republic, they've chosen to fight the Voth and the Mihral instead in the hopes of stealing the secrets of biological technology from the Voth and the secrets of zero point energy sources and exotic energy fields from the Mihral. With these secrets added to thier arsenal, the Thran belive they will be unstoppable.

Another extremely nice touch, showing the importance of technology within the various arms races.

Thank you Charles.

I would also say that military intelligence is going to be an important part in that upcoming conflict, not only amongst the three races involved but agents from the Saeduun/Lor Alliance as well. After all, the three races involved are three of the nastier species currently running around the galaxy and a conflict would only weaken all three of them which is definetly in the interest of the Alliance since it gives them time to shore up thier defences against whomever comes out the victor.

As for Lady Lunar, there's a rumour going through certain circles in the galactic community that says the former ruler of Farside City is attempting to take control of the orginization as part of another scheme to reconquer Farside City, then conquer Earth and the galaxy.

Other rumours concerning the Black Dawn have them sending agents to planet Earth to broker some sort of deal with some criminal mastermind there. Why they would do that is beyond anybody, surely the Earth has some decent natural resources to plunder but surely any criminal mastermind from there would be too primitive to aid them on a galactic scale. What could this Death Mask person possibly offer the Black Dawn anyway?

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Mon May 11, 2009 9:02 pm

Just got the Crooks! 2nd Edition PDF today and am reading through it. While the setting itself is much darker then I normally prefer (Bedlam City is pretty much the exception that proves the rule in that case) I do plan to add the bits I like to my mixed setting. Let me know if there's anything you'd like to see make an appearence. I'm always open to suggestions.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon May 11, 2009 11:27 pm

MightyDavidson wrote:Just got the Crooks! 2nd Edition PDF today and am reading through it. While the setting itself is much darker then I normally prefer (Bedlam City is pretty much the exception that proves the rule in that case) I do plan to add the bits I like to my mixed setting. Let me know if there's anything you'd like to see make an appearence. I'm always open to suggestions.

In my games, I made these following modifications:

* Atomic Brain as an independent super villain more interested in the THREAT of atomic destruction than actually bring it about.

* Czar, pretty much as is.

* Miss Martian is a Tsavong Hybrid that fled to Hollywood from her homeworld.

* Murder Man is an Executive on the International Crime League's Board of Directors. He's a surprisingly good and loving father, despite the fact he's a total sociopath.

* Doctor Dungeon has temporary imprisonment and permanent imprisonment as effects of his suit.

Hence, he's not guilty of 100+ murders.

* Blitz is an agent of SHADOW now and has abandoned her Nazi rhetoric for Teen Overshadow Uber Alles!

* Iron Cross is actually the first Everyman, a kind of Charles Linbergh superman who hated being overshadowed over the Golden Age heroes of the Liberty Men and defected to Nazi Germany.

He's now Nilfelheim's Base Commander. The Third Generation of Alien Human Hybrids are actually Thran-Human Hybrids that will serve as Overshadow's vanguard for the third Operation: Indulation.

* The Toreador works for PHANTOM as their chief master assassin.

* Player 2 is a former lab assistant of Doctor Otaku who struck out on his own and now they're bitter rivals.

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Mon May 11, 2009 11:51 pm

Well I've been reading through it myself and I agree with some of the ideas you've had already Charles, since Everyman turning evil just sort of works, I've got some of my own ideas for some of the others. I can only hope they're as cool as some of yours are. :)

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Tue May 12, 2009 5:02 pm

MightyDavidson wrote:Well I've been reading through it myself and I agree with some of the ideas you've had already Charles, since Everyman turning evil just sort of works, I've got some of my own ideas for some of the others. I can only hope they're as cool as some of yours are. :)

I look forward to them.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”