The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Re: The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Postby Voltron64 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:59 pm

Libra wrote:I'm quite fond of the idea that she's Anglo-Asian myself, although that might be a minority view!

You're not the only one with that view, Libra. :wink:
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:03 pm

Thirded!

:mrgreen:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:45 am

Voltron64 wrote:Have any of you noticed how all of Scott Summers' girlfriends are telepaths?

Well, I've had a theory on that, actually.

What it boils down to is that Scott is just such a hugely uptight, straight-laced, tightly-controlled, deeply (almost psychotically) repressed A-type personality that the only people who even remotely have a chance of getting through his emotional armor to the RAW SEETHING VOLCANO OF PASSION he is keeping locked away is a telepath.

Made worse by the fact that it is partly possible that it was Xavier's fault he's this way as Professor X would've been the first person to allow him to understand that kind of intimate vulnerability without realizing it and thus kind of imprinted to the point where he's probably only capable of any sort of meaningful relationship with a telepath.

Even people he doesn't end up in a relationship with, he still tends to be most attracted to telepaths. Such as when he was very attracted to Psylocke and was checking her out a lot. This was during the time he was already married to Jean... admittedly, it's Psylocke, so it's not too surprising that any straight male might be looking her over. If things hadn't worked out the way they did, I find it likely Scott would've ended up cheating on Jean with Psylocke rather than Emma. Then possibly ended up cheating on Betsy with Emma.

Which come to think of it, I'm okay with. Scott could be a well-respected hero, a great leader of men and in general kind of a nice guy, but he can't keep it in his pants around a telepath.

This is a great theory, Voltron. Honest.

:)

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:33 am

The Legion of Superheroes part 2

The state of humanity in the 30th century is notable for the fact it was no longer the isolated planet it had been during the 20th century but a thriving part of the multiverse with dozens of lesser worlds. Mutants were no longer treated as second-class citizens but had integrated into the populace at large with many having gone on to become the progenitors of their own subspecies of mankind. Magnetically powered humanoids were more likely to identify as Braalian-Earthians or Braalian-Titans than they were as a mutant.

The Earth was merely "first among equals" amongst these human-run planets and had, through considerable blood, sweat, and tears, created The United Planets based on similar bodies existing in the 20th century.

The United Planets represented those worlds which had democracies and ideals about universal sapient rights--often having been influenced by either the Green Lantern Corps or the heroes of Earth. Notable members of the United Planets included the Durlans, Neo-Martians, Inhumans, Rann, New Thanagar, Spartoi, New Krypton, Daxam, and Fifth Worlders. Several Kree and Skrull colonies also took their place amongst the world.

While a tremendous boon to Earth's position and power in the galaxy, it was hardly alone in the universe. The Kree, Dominators, Skrull Empires (having divided into a dozen feuding bodies), Badoon and Reach were all hostile powers. Only the Shi'ar Republic maintained economic and diplomatic ties with the United Planets.

To deal with the massive amount of interstellar crime and petty warlordism this unstable political situation engendered, the United Planets used the organizations of Checkmate, S.W.O.R.D, and SHIELD as the basis for the creation of the Science Police. This group would use super-technology to fill much of the basis which superheroes once held but did not inspire the masses the way the ones of old did.

Googleplexinaire R.J. Brande, the richest man in the galaxy and secret Durlan, was a fan of 20/21st century superhero literature and wanted to find a group capable of recapturing the glories of a bygone era. Peculiarly, he didn't look for people who were respected warriors of his time.

He looked to idealistic teenagers.

He got more than he bargained for.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:24 am

Legion of Superheroes part 3

But where, you may ask, were the heroes and villains of the past?

While the majority of superheroes and villains died of old age before the end of the 21st century, there were a number of figures who possessed (if not immortality) then at least drastically expanded lives.

Apocalypse, Superman, Thor, Vandal Savage, Ra's Al Ghul (who died at the hands of Bruce Wayne's protege Terry), and others could have reurned to assist or imperil the people of Earth.

The truth is that this remains something of a mystery.

Sometime before the 22nd century, all of Earth's immortal heroes and their legacies vanished from the face of the world. One day they were struggling to rebuild the world and the next, they simply did not exist.

It would have been a field day for the darkest powers of the world but they, thankfully, had already been mostly dismantled, killed, or imprisoned. A few, like Apocalypse, chose to enter millennium-long slumbers awaiting the right time to return to power. Others, like Vandal Savage, went underground in hopes of eventually returning to power.

Heroes became legends, legends became myths.

Even the Asgardians chose to withdraw from Midgard as mighty Thor assumed rulership of his father (and mother's) kingdom at last. The Asgardian's heart was heavy with the deaths of so many friends but something, perhaps a power stronger than even he, compelled him to abandon Midgard.

Was he ashamed of Earth's peoples? Or did he trust us to sort ourselves out?

No one yet knows.

Even Doctor Strange would leave his post as Sorcerer Supreme to become the new Ancient One.

As for Superman? Some believed he returned to the sun after Lois Lane's death.

Others believe he died.

The mystery bothers historians of the 30th century to this day.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:56 am

BTW, everyone has to watch Agents of SHIELD tonight.

My usual treatment of the series? 4-6 in rating.

What I saw on Hulu?

10 out of 10.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:30 am

Speaking of which, Agent Coulson obviously exists in Earth-717, right? :wink:

I just finally want a confirmation is all.

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:43 pm

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:04 pm

Here's a strange thought, what if Darkseid wants to eradicate free will is partly because he has no free will of his own?

I mean he's practically by design and by nature, a deity of evil, tyranny, suffering, and other such things. Perhaps he's incapable of truly doing or being anything else.

He's a puppet, one who only barely realizes that he has strings.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Though I am not certain how well my Secret Six/Thunderbolts swap was received, I will venture to strike a similar vein: The Earth-777 version of the Suicide Squad/Task Force X. However, I am very much open to solicitation of your collective thoughts on the concept. I have to imagine Henry Gyrich and Nick Fury would be opposed to the very idea of using booby-trapped, mostly unrepentant super-villains for clandestine missions, gaining freedom in return for their services. On the other hand, the Hellfire Club, The Brand Corporation/Roxxon Oil, and other such organizations would be secretly lobbying for Task Force X for their own purposes. Obviously the Earth-777 Suicide Squad would almost certainly have Marvel villains in the mix nearly from the start, just by the law of averages.

My thoughts on the differences between the Suicide Squad and the later government-sponsored Thunderbolts is the latter team was composed of super-criminals who were deemed psychologically and morally fit enough for a chance at public redemption. They essentially operated in the open like a "normal" hero team, though closely monitored and partnered with "sponsor" superheroes. This concept was of course perverted during the President Luthor/Security Director Norman Osborn years, when a "covert" Thunderbolt team was put into place, one which operated much more like the by-then-defunct Suicide Squad. The "Deathbolts" were actually worse in practice, as they served the selfish wishes of their superiors far more than Task Force X ever carried out Amanda Waller's personal agenda.

Feedback appreciated as always.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Hey, I really liked it! Great job!

BTW, sorry for the delay but finishing my second manuscript.

It's now a 3 book contract with a 2 book option.

SQUEE!

I'll be back soon.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:04 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:Hey, I really liked it! Great job!

SQUEE!

I'll be back soon.

That is SQUEE alright.
Impeach the peach!

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:50 pm

No, seriously, the idea of switching the Thunderbolts and Secret Six was quite an enjoyable little tour de force, Greycrusader.

Good job!

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:Hey, I really liked it! Great job!

SQUEE!

I'll be back soon.

Outstanding! Are you free to give us any advance information?

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:42 pm

For my long-term fans, I basically took the premise of he now-defunct "Has to be Done" setting I was doing and went into an entirely new direction with it.

Spies! Rakshasas! Zombie plagues! Magitech!

:mrgreen:

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”