The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Postby Charles Phipps » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:32 pm

MightyDavidson wrote:To be fair, the superheroes were quite effective at keeping everybody safe until Marvel arbitrarily decided that wasn't the case.

As bad as the United States is against mutants, we can always say they're not as terrible as the fascist mutant-hunting state of Canada.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:43 pm

MightyDavidson wrote:To be fair, the superheroes were quite effective at keeping everybody safe until Marvel arbitrarily decided that wasn't the case.

Or till the supervillians started to secretly manipulate public opinion against their heroic foes.

:twisted:
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:49 pm

On somewhat related-note, who's up for putting Henry Peter Gyrich through a Walter White-esque spiral?

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:50 pm

Voltron64 wrote:

Or till the supervillians started to secretly manipulate public opinion against their heroic foes.

No, it was Marvel arbitrarily deciding the superheroes weren't effective anymore, then retconning things to "prove" their point.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:52 pm

MightyDavidson wrote:
Voltron64 wrote:

No, it was Marvel arbitrarily deciding the superheroes weren't effective anymore, then retconning things to "prove" their point.

Well to hell with them, that's certainly not how it works in Earth-777! :mrgreen:

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Nor in the Mightyverse Voltron. This is a good thing.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:41 pm

The Days of Future's Past Manifesto (once Ultron convinces Master Mold and its kin):

"A mechanized army of circuitry and metal, cold and emotionless, carry out tasks without conscious. Robots, thousands, programmed for destruction - march towards the future. Man's greatest inventions, making the impossible possible, are no longer under our control. This new breed of technology makes humanity obsolete. Robots - thinking, acting on their own - begin their march toward domination. These machines - built by man, serve no one. The robots among us - watching, waiting, calculate their new world order. Their time is coming, they cannot be stopped. With perfect weapons.... and superior intelligence, robots rule this planet. Let the fall of mankind give way to a new age."

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:22 am

Right, time to see if that John Conner punk has grown up into Batman yet! 8)
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:49 am

Awesome stuff, guys.

I'm going to be doing a Legion of Superheroes article soon talking about the future in a bit.

However, first I must do my review of Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Sorry about the delay!

(Also, I've been writing chapters all week for book 2# of my series)

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:50 am

The Legion of Superheroes part 1

The next thousand years of Earth-777 is a difficult one to talk about. However, the short version is that things got worse before they got better. The corporate greed, government corruption, societal apathy, environmental collapse, and mutant bigotry lead to a breakdown of society which the heroes were only able to mitigate rather than stop.

Megacorporations making use of alien and human-based technology seized control over large portions of the globe. Alchemax, Powers Industries, Stark-Fujikawa (led by "Evil Iron Man" Anton Stark), and Bain Enterprises divided the world between each other and a hundred other smaller superconglomerates.

How bad was it? Doctor Doom, or a time-lost variant of him, actually ended up becoming one of the biggest heroes of this time period because he had the 1% decency to believe leaving your subjects to starve in the street like animals was not cool. It was a time when Doom's Tywin Lannister-esque was considered a godsend.

The X-men managed to prevent their prophecized war between humans and mutants but, unfortunately, never quite achieved acceptance. The Sentinels were finally defeated by time-travelling heroes after they'd only taken over New York and a few other cities but the world grew quite sick of them. Many immigrated to the stars in hopes of finding a better life on worlds more accepting of the unusual.

Then something miraculous happened.

Things got better.

It was a slow process but new generations of heroes arose along with a gradual maturation of the human race. The inspiration of the 20th/21st century's heroes convinced many humans they could do better. The environment was repaired with the aid of Kryptonian and Rannian technology while a universal government based on the principles espoused by Kal-El of Krypton (now an elderly Science Council member) worked with the successors of folk like Commander America. Thor's descendant Magni, likewise, came to help change the world.

By the 30th century, Earth was unrecognizable. Mutants, humans, and (for a time) aliens were all accepted as equals. Reaching out to its lost colonies, Earth found thriving civilizations of superpowered humans from Titan (populated by telepaths as well as Eternals), Braal (where Magneto's genetic descendants had created a community of equals), and Winnath where all children were twins.

Earth found itself a near-Utopia and yet the galaxy around it was still dangerous. Annihilus' Wave had left the old empires utterly devastated and it was only now they had recovered. Ancient evils awaited on many worlds as humans moved to settle them. Super criminals formed indestructible syndicates that could take over whole planets.

In short, the universe didn't need a team of superheroes.

They needed a legion.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:20 pm

Fine work Mr Phipps! :D

(I must admit that your un-Spoilered review of The Winter Soldier has persuaded me to see it ASAP, although I admit that I needed only a little persuasion to do so!). :wink:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:24 am

http://bundleofholding.com/index/current

A massively awesome sale on Delta Green, one of the two RPGs (and many many comic books) which inspired by Urban Fantasy series.

8.95 for its Corebook and first major supplement or the entire series for 20 dollars.

ALSO, some of the money goes to Doctors without Borders and FBI Association Fund.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:53 am

Have any of you noticed how all of Scott Summers' girlfriends are telepaths?

Well, I've had a theory on that, actually.

What it boils down to is that Scott is just such a hugely uptight, straight-laced, tightly-controlled, deeply (almost psychotically) repressed A-type personality that the only people who even remotely have a chance of getting through his emotional armor to the RAW SEETHING VOLCANO OF PASSION he is keeping locked away is a telepath.

Made worse by the fact that it is partly possible that it was Xavier's fault he's this way as Professor X would've been the first person to allow him to understand that kind of intimate vulnerability without realizing it and thus kind of imprinted to the point where he's probably only capable of any sort of meaningful relationship with a telepath.

Even people he doesn't end up in a relationship with, he still tends to be most attracted to telepaths. Such as when he was very attracted to Psylocke and was checking her out a lot. This was during the time he was already married to Jean... admittedly, it's Psylocke, so it's not too surprising that any straight male might be looking her over. If things hadn't worked out the way they did, I find it likely Scott would've ended up cheating on Jean with Psylocke rather than Emma. Then possibly ended up cheating on Betsy with Emma.

Which come to think of it, I'm okay with. Scott could be a well-respected hero, a great leader of men and in general kind of a nice guy, but he can't keep it in his pants around a telepath.

Ares
Hero
Hero

Postby Ares » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:17 am

Well, when Betsy kept arranging incidents like this, you can hardly fault Scott.

Still, maybe I'm alone, but I'd kind of like Betsy to get back to her original body. Alan Davis drew her as a perfectly sexy British gal, and her transformation to a hot Asian girl was just so that Jim Lee could draw a hot Asian girl. I figure that ship has sailed, let her get her original form back, let her keep all of the skills she's acquired, and if you want a hot Asian girl, invent one or start using the ones you've already got.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:58 pm

I'm quite fond of the idea that she's Anglo-Asian myself, although that might be a minority view!

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”