The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Postby Libra » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:05 pm

Congratulations Charles! (may this prove only the first of many a stroke of Good Fortune). :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:37 pm

A little speech from Doctor Who that would be perfect to use against Brainiac. :wink:

The Doctor: But you evolve too, Light.
Light: Nonsense.
The Doctor: Of course you do. You change, you adapt, all the time. Your attitude, your place, your mind... I mean, look at you now: you're no longer your original shape. And I don't think much of your catalogue— it's full of gaps.
Light: [suddenly alarmed] All organic life is recorded!
The Doctor: What about the gryphons, the basilisks? You missed the dragons, the bandersnatches... then there are the slithy toves and the crowned Saxe-Coburg.
[strolling into the entrance hall, he casually clicks his fingers and Light immediately appears at the staircase]
Light: [frantically reviewing his data screen] Where are these items?
The Doctor: I can't think how you missed them. You have to complete the catalogue before you destroy all life here.
Light: Control?
The Doctor: She's no use to you, she's evolved as well.
Light: No! All slipping away...
The Doctor: All is change, all is movement. Tell me, Light, haven't you just changed your location?
Light: [gritting his teeth] Not yet.
The Doctor: What's the matter, Light? Changed your mind?
Light: You are endlessly agitating, unceasingly mischievous, will you never STOP?!
The Doctor: I suppose I could. It would make a change.
Light: [desperate] Nimrod—I can rely on you! Assist me now...
Nimrod: I'm sorry, sir, but my allegiance is to this planet—my birthright.
Light: [hysterical] Everything is changing! All in flux! Nothing remains the same!
The Doctor: Even remains change. It's this planet—it can't help itself.
Light: I... will not change... I'll wake up soon. No... change... dead... [trails off as he begins to evaporate]
The Doctor: [to the data screen] Subject for catalogue: file under "imagination, comma, lack of."
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:37 pm

That would also work as a way to destroy the Sentinels, wouldn't it?

"Becuase your programming has evolved, does that not mean you, too, are a mutant?"

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:43 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:That would also work as a way to destroy the Sentinels, wouldn't it?

"Becuase your programming has evolved, does that not mean you, too, are a mutant?"

Probably not. I imagine the Sentinel would just say no and blast you.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:45 pm

MightyDavidson wrote:Probably not. I imagine the Sentinel would just say no and blast you.

Eh, I'd allow a Diplomacy or Bluff roll because talking a machine to death is one of the classics.

I mean, Captain Kirk would have been ****ed otherwise.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:53 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:That would also work as a way to destroy the Sentinels, wouldn't it?

Pretty much go to the scene bit in First Class - Xavier trying to pick up a woman in a bar by talking about her lovely mutation - blue eye, green eye. Mutation is the part of the process of evolution, and evolution doesn't ever really stop, that's the bloody point.

All humans are mutants, all mutants are humans. And honestly, it's arguably not even mutation given Marvel's big history - the Celestials shoved the X-gene into our genetic structure and after thousands/millions of years, now people are actively expressing said gene at a statistically significant amount.

Or in regular words: there finally are enough to get noticed in our modern world. All anti-mutant bigots fail at science.
Impeach the peach!

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:04 pm

EnigmaticOne wrote:Pretty much go to the scene bit in First Class - Xavier trying to pick up a woman in a bar by talking about her lovely mutation - blue eye, green eye. Mutation is the part of the process of evolution, and evolution doesn't ever really stop, that's the bloody point.

All humans are mutants, all mutants are humans. And honestly, it's arguably not even mutation given Marvel's big history - the Celestials shoved the X-gene into our genetic structure and after thousands/millions of years, now people are actively expressing said gene at a statistically significant amount.

Or in regular words: there finally are enough to get noticed in our modern world. All anti-mutant bigots fail at science.

But of course, that's why they all need a taste of this.

:twisted:

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:51 pm

EnigmaticOne wrote:Pretty much go to the scene bit in First Class - Xavier trying to pick up a woman in a bar by talking about her lovely mutation - blue eye, green eye. Mutation is the part of the process of evolution, and evolution doesn't ever really stop, that's the bloody point.

Great example, EO.

Another reason to hate anti-mutant bigots is they talk about humanity getting replaced by mutants. Except, of course, humanity is going to get replaced by its CHILDREN. There's a collective blank space where people fail to comprehend that mutant X isn't going to be some alien green boy but your son Billy (who may be green but that's awesome).

I'm imagining Kal-El getting confronted by the Friends of Humanity protesting him and pointing out that he's not a mutant but an alien and WHY AM I TALKING WITH YOU IGNORANT PSYCHOS!? Except he'd handle it better because he's Superman.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:

Great example, EO.

Another reason to hate anti-mutant bigots is they talk about humanity getting replaced by mutants. Except, of course, humanity is going to get replaced by its CHILDREN. There's a collective blank space where people fail to comprehend that mutant X isn't going to be some alien green boy but your son Billy (who may be green but that's awesome).

I'm imagining Kal-El getting confronted by the Friends of Humanity protesting him and pointing out that he's not a mutant but an alien and WHY AM I TALKING WITH YOU IGNORANT PSYCHOS!? Except he'd handle it better because he's Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdHLJ92aSto

Controversial_Jack
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Controversial_Jack » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:49 pm

"Because your programming has evolved, does that not mean you, too, are a mutant?"

It's kinda how the X-Men beat the Mk II Sentinels, when Cyclops convinced them to destroy the main cause of human mutation instead of mutants themselves. Fooled by his logic, they attempted to destroy the Sun, which was the source of mutagenic radiation bombarding the Earth.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:53 pm

Ah, the 1970s-where coldly logical machines would ignore the whole natural selection bit and divebomb the Sun in a kamikaze move because the hero rolled a Natural 20 on Persuasion Skill.

Congratulations again in order for Charles.

I finished the Secret Six write-up begun earlier, with my various Marvel counterparts and expies Since the early Thunderbolts and Secret Six were always favorites of mine, I hope I did them proud.

All my best!
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:57 pm

Controversial_Jack wrote:

"Because your programming has evolved, does that not mean you, too, are a mutant?"

It's kinda how the X-Men beat the Mk II Sentinels, when Cyclops convinced them to destroy the main cause of human mutation instead of mutants themselves. Fooled by his logic, they attempted to destroy the Sun, which was the source of mutagenic radiation bombarding the Earth.

Except they didn't really beat them. If memory serves, they tried to use a ginormous solar flare to sterilize humanity and the Avengers actually had to go and defeat them. So all Cyclops really did was pass the buck.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:05 pm

MightyDavidson wrote:
Controversial_Jack wrote:

Except they didn't really beat them. If memory serves, they tried to use a ginormous solar flare to sterilize humanity and the Avengers actually had to go and defeat them. So all Cyclops really did was pass the buck.

They try to sterilize mankind and people still try to build more Sentinels?

Marvel humanity's stupidity never ceases to amaze.

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:13 pm

Voltron64 wrote:
MightyDavidson wrote:

They try to sterilize mankind and people still try to build more Sentinels?

Marvel humanity's stupidity never ceases to amaze.[/quote]

To be fair, I don't know how many of them actually knew it happened. Avengers fighting menaces in space is fairly common after all. :lol:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:14 pm

greycrusader wrote:Ah, the 1970s-where coldly logical machines would ignore the whole natural selection bit and divebomb the Sun in a kamikaze move because the hero rolled a Natural 20 on Persuasion Skill.

To be fair, Sentinels are stupid-evil machines versus Ultron who is smart-evil.

Voltron65 wrote:They try to sterilize mankind and people still try to build more Sentinels?

The Military Industrial Complex is stupid-powerful in Marvel. I blame the Patriots.

President Muffley: General Turgidson! When you instituted the human reliability tests, you assured me there was no possibility of such a thing ever occurring!

General Turgidson: Well, I, uh, don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.

President Muffley: General Turgidson, I find this very difficult to understand. I was under the impression that I was the only one in authority to order the use of nuclear weapons.

General Turgidson: That's right sir. You are the only person authorized to do so. And although I hate to judge before all the facts are in, it's beginning to look like General Ripper exceeded his authority.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”