Pulp Fiction: Boot Hill

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Mr. Volf
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Mr. Volf » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:41 pm

Note: Armon's earth is not Earth - Freedom, it's another version of earth in the terminus.
Ven der Volf Man howls!

Rubber Baron
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Rubber Baron » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:08 pm

It is very sad, Jack. Tros was one of the great hero stories that Robert E. Howard used as a basis for Conan. He was a mystic and a warrior and a general. He hob nobbed with, and fought with, Julius Caesar, and built a great ship that would take him across the Atlantic to the fabled lands - but it was burned up, by Caesar.

Really excellent historical adventure.
Steve Perrin
A hero must be practical.

JackGiantkiller
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby JackGiantkiller » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:28 am

Hmm. I'll see if I can find it.

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:57 pm

Rubber Baron wrote:It is very sad, Jack. Tros was one of the great hero stories that Robert E. Howard used as a basis for Conan. He was a mystic and a warrior and a general. He hob nobbed with, and fought with, Julius Caesar, and built a great ship that would take him across the Atlantic to the fabled lands - but it was burned up, by Caesar.

Really excellent historical adventure.

What minded me of him, when it came to Armon, is that Tros is very much supposed to be a traveller from a far more civilized (read modern) state than the ones that he visits, where Conan is from a barbaric (read primitive) one. Tros was, in the bibliography of the 2E Complete Paladin's Handbook, pretty much accurately described as "a Lawful Good character in a world that's Neutral, at best."

Chris Davies.

JackGiantkiller
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby JackGiantkiller » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:36 am

See, now I'm even more intrigued.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:00 am

That does sound rather like my idea of Armon.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Mr. Volf
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Mr. Volf » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:04 am

Master Monk

The Wise One, Master of Shamballa Unnamed Monk, Unarmed Mage, Dancing Hurricane of Blazing Fists

The 18th century, Somewhere in China

The demon soars above the ground, "I am Chin Hsu Fang, the diabolical lord of heavenly wrath. I will grind your bones to dust, mortal, and then I shall burn your cities to embers, and devour your people" The creature speaks with inhuman voice and laughs madly in anticipation of the carnage to come.

A man sits beneath him, dressed in the traditional robes of a monk. "I gave away my name long ago but the people you wish to devour, demon, rely upon me. They name me Master Monk, and I shall use my abilities to defeat you."

The demon flies with the speed of the wind, charging the monk who dares offer battle to him. He laughs once again and spits infernal flames at this puny warrior.

The monk concentrates; his serene expression never so much as flickers while the flames approach him.

"Tiger's blazing paw" he whispers, shifting his hands quickly; even his shadow is not capable of catching up with him. He shifts the energy of his soul into his right fist and strikes the infernal flame just as it approaches him. The flames are gone.

"Your foul magic shall not defeat my sacred training." The monk declares.

"Honourable crane soars above the mountain." The monk leaps high into the air; he spreads his arms and keeps rising. He spins in the air and gains speed.

"Honourable Crane strikes." The master mage shouts and launches a kick against the Oni.

The beast becomes more furious. "Your poor attempt amuses me, mortal." The demon screams and strikes at the monk with its tail.

The monk easily dodges the deadly attack.

"I have wasted enough time with you, demon." The monk speaks. "I shall banish you once and for all."

Once again the monk collects his chi into his fist, "Mother earth rages!" he screams out and hits the ground, the earth shakes, leaving a fissure.

"Father Thunder punishes the sinner" the monk declares. He moves again and rain appears.

"Divine wind raises the eternal flame" the monk whispers and charges the Oni, he jumps onto its back and punches him twice.

"Fist of the Elemental Might" the monk shouts and strikes with all his power. The demon falls into the hole in the ground.

"Never again you shall threaten this land, serpent!" the monk says.

In his agony the demon curses "I shall return."

"And I shall await you." The monk replies.

This was the story of the Shambala Master, a monk and a former Master Mage, master of the martial arts and of alchemic rites, scholar and warrior, a man who lived long ago and still remains among us.

Even though the Unnamed Monk passed the duty of the Master Mage onto his student, still he remains on Earth as the master of Shambala's monks and the sole judge of the Gathering.

It is unclear if he is a regular mortal or a spirit bound to Shambala – one thing is sure, he shall aid every hero who opposes evil.

Tzin Hu-Chi once was his student – after arriving at the temple of Shambala. He has also aided the young warrior on his crusade against his father.

When Tzin Sing heard that his son operated on the behalf of the Wise One, he ordered his soldiers to retreat and declared, "We shall not dishonour The Master." A statement which implies that the Yellow Peril himself was once his student.
Ven der Volf Man howls!

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:27 am

Apologies for any infelicities in editing gentlemen and ladies of the Think Tank.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

JackGiantkiller
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby JackGiantkiller » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:52 am

Master Martial artist and master mage, hmm? You've set me a challenge, this time. Thank you.:)

JackGiantkiller
Mastermind
Mastermind

The Master of Shamballa

Postby JackGiantkiller » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:30 pm

The Master of Shamballa

Power Level: 15 (337 power points)

Abilities: STR 18(+4) DEX 22(+6) CON 18(+4) INT 14(+2) WIS 24(+7) CHA 18(+4)

Skills: Acrobatics 15 (+21), Bluff 10 (+14), Climb 10 (+14), Craft (Artistic) 10 (+12), Escape Artist 10 (+16), Intimidate 10 (+14), Knowledge (Knowledge (Arcane Lore)) 20 (+22), Knowledge (Tactics) 20 (+22), Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy) 20 (+22), Language (Cantonese, English, French, Mandarin, Shamballah, Tibetan), Medicine 15 (+22), Notice 20 (+27), Sense Motive 20 (+27), Stealth 15 (+21), Survival 10 (+17), Swim 10 (+14)

Feats: Acrobatic Bluff, All-out Attack, Artificer, Attack Specialization (Unarmed), Blind-Fight, Chokehold, Critical Strike, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Elusive Target, Endurance, Evasion 2, Favored Opponent (demons), Fearless, Grappling Finesse, Improved Block, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative 3, Improved Pin, Improved Sunder, Improved Throw, Improved Trip, Interpose, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Redirect, Ritualist, Set-Up, Stunning Attack, Takedown Attack 2, Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Bind, Weapon Break, Grappling Block

Powers:
Magic 14
AP-Blast 14
AP-Suffocate 14 (Touch)
AP-Healing 14
AP-Life Control 14 (F:Range (Perception->Touch)(1))
AP-Stun 14
AP-Trip 14 (F:Touch, E:Knockback)

Chi Enhanced Physiology:
Protection 5 (E:Impervious)
Regeneration 14 (Recovery Bonus (+5),Recovery Rate (Bruised - No Rest),Recovery Rate (Injured - 1 minute),Recovery Rate (Staggered - 1 minute)),

Martial Mastery:
Speed 2 (PF:AP-Leaping 2)
Strike 8 (E:Penetrating;PF:Affects Insubstantial 2,Dimensional,Mighty x4)
Super-Movement 9 (Air Walking (Normal Speed),Dimensional Movement (Group - mystic dimensions),Slow Fall,Sure-Footed,Swinging,Wall-Crawling (Normal Speed))

Combat: Attack +16 Unarmed +18
Damage Unarmed +12 (dc 27, crit 18-20)
Defense 28 (Flat-footed: 28) Initiative +18
Grapple: +20 (Attack - +16,Strength - +4,Size - +0)

Saves: Toughness +9(+4) Impervious 5 Defensive Roll +12
Fortitude +12 Reflex +12 Defensive Roll +15 Willpower +12

Lifting: 300 lb.

Cost Summary:
Ability 54 + Skills 49 (196 Ranks) + Feats 46 + Powers 101 + Combat 68 + Saves 19 = 337 / 337

Size: Medium
Description:

Created With Mutagen! version 0.8.7a - beta

Yes, he has both stunning attack and a stun power. If magic is blocked, he still knows pressure points. Yes, favored opponent could take him over cap.It’s really just there so he can crit uncrittable demons. He’ll hero point to get the ability to crit other things (like Undead, constructs, whatever). Obviously, he can do a lot more spells than I listed. That’s just his most commonly used ones.

His slow fall, you'll note, isn't magical. Most of his movement powers aren't...exactly. His dimensional movement and air walking are exceptions, obviously. So if magic is nullified, he falls out of the air...but doesn't hit as hard as one might expect. His wallcrawling isn't magic at all, nor is his speed or jumping ability. Only the dimensional aspect of his strike is strictly magic. The rest is training and chi.

Mr. Volf
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Mr. Volf » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:58 am

Great Build Jack!

Just a note: I've imagined that the Master Monk channeled he's magical power into his martial arts moves, which gives him the super human abilities of supreme martial artist, instead of making the regular Dr. Strange wizard tricks.

He's a master of chemistry and the oriental version of alchemical rites, and rarely uses his chi to cast charms in the European way.

And here we go, a HUGE uptdae - my take on the Weird West!

Eagle Rider

John Rising Eagle was born long after the European invaders took possesion of his native land. His grandfather, the tribe's shaman, used to tell him of the times long gone, when the Native Americans ruled the land and lived in absolute freedom.

John became furious; he hated the white men for all the crimes committed against his tribe since first they reached the land. Then he lost his father when some drunken white thugs found his clothing funny and shot him after lengthy torment.

It was then that John declared war on all those who would abuse and scheme against his people.

Not only was he a well trained Apache warrior, capable of using all the traditional weapons of his tribe, but he also discovered that he had unusual skills with the weapon that had conquered America – Guns.

For a couple of years he operated under the name of The Apache Kid - a sobriquet given to him by the authorities - sabotaging trains, robbing banks, killing white thugs and gunslingers. In other words, he struck at the white way of living.

It was when fighting alongside Pale Ranger and Broken Crow he at last understood that not all white men were evil and that it is possible for Native Americans to join with the Pale Ones in order to bring Justice to the vast country they shared.

He changed his name and begun operating under the name of Eagle Rider, since the Pale Ranger described him as "A gunslinger who shoots with the eye of an eagle. I am glad he rides with me and not against me."

Broken Crow once suggested that the amazing ability of sharp shooting that the Eagle Rider posses comes from the unique strength of his surprisingly old spirit.

Madame Colt

Emily Donner travelled with her husband and son to a new settlement in the West, seeking a better life. A gang of bandits' interrupted their journey. Her husband and son died but she survived, barely. She wishes she had not.

For years she plotted revenge on those who ruined her life. She found teachers who trained her to use the gun, not just shooting faster than the other man, but dispassion, how to control her rage and violence and use it as a weapon more terrible than any other.

Since then she has travelled the western frontier, hunting for revenge, fighting for and against the law. It is known that she has met the Pale Ranger on a few occasions and El Gaucho has mentioned that she almost burned down a town in Mexico.

El Gaucho

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... llicot.jpg

Sancho Vega lived a peaceful life as a South American cowboy – a gaucho - he never looked for troubles, but they found him anyway.

Since he was a child he always found himself fighting with other boys, beating up thieves and other such situations. When he became older and responsible for his families farm he merely attracted greater troubles.

Hostile gangs arrived from time-to-time, but Sancho served in the army and his father had taught him how to use firearms since he was a small boy. He drove them away, most of the time.

One night, the Black Hats arrived; they caught him with his guard down, burned his ranch and rode away howling into the night. Sancho remained and restored his farm.

When he finished the job he left the task of taking care of the farm to his little brother, saddled his fastest horse, took some guns and rode away to the north – Texas, where the goons he searched for hid out, according to the rumours.

After dealing with them - violently - in the event now known as "The Battle of Ten Mexicans" he became famous as "El Gaucho, The Cowboy from Beyond the Border."

He remained in the USA, protecting Mexicans and any defenceless civilians against violence from the various threats of the Frontier.

Silver Sheriff

Henry Finn was born and raised in the little town of Libertyville, Missouri; he was the boldest and smartest kid in town always searching for new adventures.
His family and friends found it only natural that he became a sheriff; he merely turned his hobby into his profession. Although he rarely found thrills in his job, he had his share, like the time the Pale Ranger came to town, looking for werewolves!

It was known to the public as "Pale Ranger and the strange case of the Moonlit Lunatics" or "The Lunes of Libertyville". A pack of werewolves moved into the local hills, hiding from hunters of the monstrous and prowling for raw meat. Human Meat.

Henry tried to stop them but his bullets did nothing to them, he was about to die and be devoured, but the Pale Ranger told him the secret of the silver and since the two teamed up and destroyed the monsters Henry Finn has carried a silver badge and bullets, in case any arcane devils come to town (An event that occurs with alarming frequency, since for some reason Libertyville is a magnet for the arcane and crazy scientists)

Lonesome Dove

No one knows where this gun slinging lady came from. No one knows where she's heading to. All that’s known is she's one tough costumer and she leaves bodies to mark her trail.

This gray clad lady is a mystery. Eagle Rider once mentioned that she is of Indian origin. Broken Crow shared the fact that for a brief period she helped him in his war against the arcane foes, and she has helped the Pale Ranger more then few times.

What is known is that she never – well almost never - works for free.

Broken Crow, Shaman Supreme

When this sickly child was born his parents were disappointed. The tribe's shaman had promised the child's father, the chief, a mighty warrior who would be remembered in history for battles and triumphs that would dwarf any others of the tribe. Yet there was the infant, small and sickly, with a back as crooked as a drawn bow. It seemed that the old priest had been wrong.

But the shaman knew that he was right and that Mortal men must not doubt the prophecies received from the spirits. He took the young child under his wing and promised the chief that he would teach him the way of the shaman, since the child could not wield the spear or the tomahawk.

When he come of age he travelled on his own through the vast, wild lands of America, East, West, North and South fighting demons, vile beasts and crooked men, armed only with his arcane abilities and human cunning.

He also discovered Magic Mesa, a place which he used for his sanctum. It was through the magic of this place that he met the Master Mage of Earth, learned from him and eventually replaced him.

Every single Western hero has met him at least once; he is especially renowned for his team-ups with the Pale Ranger.

Star Marshall

Far in the dark reaches of space lies the dead planet of Xenushu, once a living planet until a biological space ship crashed, unleashing all-consuming worms onto the surface. In order to stop this massacre, from Citadel a warrior was sent, a star knight, Aben Do-Ker.

The Knight fought and slew many worms, but a single hatching was able to escape – to a primitive world called Earth.

By the time the Star Knight reached Earth the worm had devoured men, women and children people. The Earthling hero known as the Pale Ranger was assigned the task of solving the mystery by the Master Mage, Broken Crow. When the Star Knight arrived the two heroes joined forces and defeated the creature.

"I am Aben Do-Ker, Star Knight." were the first words he spoke when he came to our world "I protect the innocent in the infinite struggle against law breakers."

The Pale Ranger smiled at him and asked "You protect Texas?"

The alien chuckled "Much, much more." The Ranger nodded his head, "So you're a Marshall?"

The knight agreed "Yes, a Star Marshall."
Ven der Volf Man howls!

JackGiantkiller
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby JackGiantkiller » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:32 am

Well. This could take a while.

Most of the Monk's magic powers are touch ranged, you'll notice, with effects intended to simulate chi powered strikes.:)

Devastation Bob
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Devastation Bob » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:20 pm

I took the whip cue and though that Madame Colt was Scarlet, the Minotaur's henchwoman when she ran around in the wild west.
We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we, Wang? --Jack Burton

Mr. Volf
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Mr. Volf » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:23 am

I've made a very duffrent of Scarlet, giving her an orientel origin.

Wolfgang Pack

Since his early days as a new-come immigrant from Europe this loud mouthed thug meant trouble. He spent his days by fighting, drinking, gambling and cussin’.

He earned the money to do this by lying and stealing. Once, when dealing with a native tribe, he went too far. The outraged natives captured the thief and locked him away in their sacred caves, where the spirits of the Other World manifest.

The shaman danced the great dance of the ghosts and summoned a Wendigo to punish the robber. Yet instead of tearing Wolfgang apart, the dark spirit possessed the body, mixing its foul abilities with the bandit's fouler ambitions.

Joe Hawg, The Rebel Rider

Since the first days of the civil war this red-necked, hot tempered farmer wore the gray uniform of the confederacy and was ready to sacrifice himself for the sake of the southern way of life.

Well, he got that opportunity, at Gettysburg. He survived the battle, only to be captured by those rich boys from the North. His comrades was slaughtered, he didn't knew what happened to his family…life was harsh, and his hatred was the only think kept him alive.

As the war ended Joe escaped his prison and returned to his farm. The Yankees walked the land like they owned it, and Joe didn't liked that fact.

He made a costume, The Rebel Rider, operating against the Yankees and the free slaves, triggering a wave of violence and racism.

Lucius Cabot

During the age of the Frontier, this vile lawyer saw the weird events taking place in the West and wished to control them.
Dead bodies returned to life, monsters roamed the Earth and some powerful magic was in the air – Lucius Cabot had to be the one in charge.

His desire to be the most powerful man in this world and the next – not to mention the orders of his demon patron - led him into a war against the Master Mage, Broken Crow, and his followers. He used the occult, fire arms, his money and crooked dealing to spread his malign influence, slaughtering buffalo, abusing migrants and enslaving minorities.

The Delton Boys

This trio of smugglers and thieves led quite simple life; they won some, they lost some, spent some time and prison and then returned to their wicked ways.

Once, when hiding from a local sheriff and his deputies the gang spent a week in a cave, which contained some ‘weird rocks’ – raw uranium.

When finally emerging into the fresh air they discovered they were different – each of the brothers possessed some unique ability.

Randy "Bigfoot" Delton had the strength of Goliath.

Richard "One Man Gang" Delton could create a couple of ‘fetches’ which looked and acted just like him.

Robert "Horse-Legs Jack" Delton could run as fast as a horse.

The trio immediately used their newfound abilities and began a spree of crimes, only to be stopped by the Pale Ranger.

Now they work as muscle for hire and mostly accompany other - smarter - villains.

When operating by themselves they mostly rob banks and trains, steal horses and cattle, generally wreaking havoc.

James Brown The Walking Dead Man

Benjamin Smith, the richest man on the west bank of the Mississippi never knew which devil he roused from slumber when he bought a new slave male whom he named James, later surnamed Brown.

The slave wished to be free, in any cause, and old Ben stood in his way. With the arcane help of the Voodoo Loa James brought death and pestilence upon his owner.

His cattle died, then his family died, and when the Slave Magic was finished Ben was merely an old, crazy fool. The slaves were meant to be sold, Ben had debts to pay, but the majority of them ran away - except James.

At the peak of his madness Benjamin tried to kill James. He collected a mob and captured him. They hanged the cursed slave, but later that day James returned to the town and took his final revenge on his former Master. Since that day (Black Monday) nobody messes with the travelling gunslinger known as Dead Man.

He's not particularly bad or good in nature, but life was hard on him and he's going to be hard on life.
Last edited by Mr. Volf on Mon May 05, 2008 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ven der Volf Man howls!

Devastation Bob
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Devastation Bob » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:04 am

Well, if Scarlet is an immortal, there's no reason she couldn't be from the Orient, I just figured for a brief episode in her loooong life she ran around the American West and actually played a semi-heroic role before moving on to darker deeds.

BTW, I like the black hats, nice job.
We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we, Wang? --Jack Burton

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”