What is the best setting book for a new GM and new Players?

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
falconsfan08
Bystander
Bystander

What is the best setting book for a new GM and new Players?

Postby falconsfan08 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:10 am

Hello all!

I have all four of the DC Adventures books, my first real purchase of a complete role playing system, and I must say I absolutely love the M&M game engine. I find it very easy to use and stream-lined.

My question is this:

I am new to GMing and my wife, so far my only Player, is new to table top role playing.

I want to know what is the best setting book for me to buy as a beginning GM.

I am wavering between the Freedom City book or Halt Evil Doer!

I have also toyed with Bedlam City but I'm not sure if she is interested in the Iron Age as much as I am so I'm thinking Bedlam would be something to come later if we get into gaming and go from there.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: What is the best setting book for a new GM and new Playe

Postby Crinos » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:49 am

Bedlam city is really, really, REALLY dark. You may want to avoid that as a starter.

Halt Evil Doer! Is a great setting, but the character stats have some problems and need revamping, so you may want to wait to get into that one (Sorry Charles!)

I would go with either Freedom City or Emerald City to start off with. It has a lot of neat, interesting characters and locations, and plenty of potential for adventure hooks and room for new characters.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:12 am

We fixed a lot of the problems for Second Edition.

8)

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:43 pm

My group is (lazily) working on a few campaigns in an alternate Freedomverse. Freedom City is definitely a good place to start. Emerald City is for 3e, though I don't think they've done a 3e update for Freedom City yet (I don't really keep too much up on it, I still primarily run and play 2e). That said, you have the DC books, so why not the DC setting?
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

rtrimmer
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby rtrimmer » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:22 pm

The New 52 is awfully complicated. The pre-N52 is insanely complicated. Both have high superhero to supervillain ratios. The animated versions -- JLU or Young Justice -- look a lot more doable to me.

Thakowsaizmu wrote:My group is (lazily) working on a few campaigns in an alternate Freedomverse. Freedom City is definitely a good place to start. Emerald City is for 3e, though I don't think they've done a 3e update for Freedom City yet (I don't really keep too much up on it, I still primarily run and play 2e). That said, you have the DC books, so why not the DC setting?

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”