Bleach anime inspired setting

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
ChaiGuy
Bystander
Bystander

Bleach anime inspired setting

Postby ChaiGuy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Hello everyone, I’m currently working on starting a Mutants and Masterminds 2nd edition game set in the anime Bleach. I suppose that here I’ll look for ways to bring the themes of the anime to life, rather than an extensive discussion about the anime setting. In general I would describe the premise of a Bleach inspired setting would be “good ghosts VS evil ghosts”.
There are plenty of excellent sites for additional information concerning Bleach, but most of them contain images probably protected by copyright so I will chose not to link to them in this thread, also some of them have advertisements that may not be work or child friendly.
A more detailed analysis of this is that there are evil ghosts that in many ways are like vampires, in that their “condition”, if you will, can be spread and that when done so they gain control over their victims. As for these evil ghosts, they generally come about in 3 ways:
1. They are spirits of evil people.
2. They are the spirits of people who have been “eaten” by evil spirits.
3. They are spirits that have stayed to long in the world of the living without “passing on” or going to the Soul Society, the place where souls go.
The good ghost not only fight these evil ghost, but also guide souls to the Soul Society, and maintain the balance of souls between the world of the living and the Soul Society. The balance of souls is important because if it’s not maintained the two worlds will crash into each other and destroy each other.
In addition to all of this there will be another element, in that the good ghosts have human allies, one organization that they will know of and another that they will not. There will be a conflict between the good ghosts and one of these, since this human group uses a method that destroys the soul of the evil soul monsters. The destruction of souls threatens to balance of souls, so it threatens to destroy two worlds. To complicate things, the soul of these humans differs from the souls of other people in that they cannot become evil ghosts, instead they are destroyed when eaten. This means that when an evil ghost attacks one of these humans and a good ghost in not there to intervene then a soul will be destroyed.
The conflict between good souls and evil souls will be simple black and white, which will give a break to more complex moral dilemmas involving the human group. Handling this aspect will probably be rather challenging, I would like the PCs to have a chance to stop a possible war between these factions while still having a chance at failing to prevent it as well.
One of the easiest solutions would be for the good ghost to teach the technique of not destroying souls to the humans. This isn’t as easy as it seems, since it took the good ghost, from what I can tell, about 1000 years to perfect it and it would probably not work for humans. They would need their own method of soul purification that might take just as long to develop and with the rate the human group is growing and destroying souls that’s not permissible. Helping develop this could be a way to diffuse the situation, but it shouldn’t be done with a few good die rolls IMO. Perhaps multiple magical devices would need to be constructed, each requiring quests for rare and exotic materials and research into new magical spells.
Other methods to end the hostilities could be used too, for example since these humans can basically cast spells, maybe they could learn magic that restrains the evil ghosts until the good ghosts can arrive to purify it. There was a group of these people who basically suggested this in the anime. This could also bridge the gap while their soul cleansing technique can be perfected.
One roadblock to a peaceful resolution to the conflict would be humans who have had family and loved ones souls destroyed by evil ghosts having a vengeful attitude, seeing the destruction of evil ghost with an eye for an eye style of justice who might not even use soul purification methods even if they became available.
I’m interest in hearing other ways to highlight this conflict and ways to resolve it mechanically and otherwise.

Lipesko
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Bleach anime inspired setting

Postby Lipesko » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:26 am

A long time ago I used the following post as an guide, unfortunately it didn't live too long. However, I would be happy to see your progress. http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=681448#p681448

ChaiGuy
Bystander
Bystander

Postby ChaiGuy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:33 pm

Thank you for the link Lipesko, I'm leaving for work now, but I'll be sure to review it more fully after work. It looks like it will be a lot of help! =)

Atmo
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Atmo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:29 pm

Will you use only first season or will incorporate the others? Bankai, Arrankar, Quincy and such?

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:05 am

Best of luck Chai Guy, may you enjoy your creations as much as I have enjoyed mine and those of my friends! :mrgreen:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

ChaiGuy
Bystander
Bystander

Postby ChaiGuy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:28 pm

@ Atmo: Starting out the PCs will not have access to Bankai, when they reach captain strength I plan on them developing their bankai then. As for Quincy they are one of the human groups that I mentioned (the one I said the good ghosts could come into conflict with), I didn’t name them specifically as such since I worried about the ToS.

As a note I’m not really having this happen during the first season of the Bleach anime timeline (if that was what you’re asking about), it’ll be somewhere between 1000-900 years before then during the Quincy/Soul Reaper war.

About Arrankar, I didn’t allow it as a PC option just to keep things simple. I did allow quincy and fullbringer PCs, but all of the current players chose Soul Reapers. I may introduce them as PCs along with Visoreds.

@ Libra: Thank you! =)

Atmo
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Atmo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:30 pm

ChaiGuy wrote:@ Atmo: Starting out the PCs will not have access to Bankai, when they reach captain strength I plan on them developing their bankai then. As for Quincy they are one of the human groups that I mentioned (the one I said the good ghosts could come into conflict with), I didn’t name them specifically as such since I worried about the ToS.

As a note I’m not really having this happen during the first season of the Bleach anime timeline (if that was what you’re asking about), it’ll be somewhere between 1000-900 years before then during the Quincy/Soul Reaper war.

About Arrankar, I didn’t allow it as a PC option just to keep things simple. I did allow quincy and fullbringer PCs, but all of the current players chose Soul Reapers. I may introduce them as PCs along with Visoreds.

@ Libra: Thank you! =)

I was curious about what you'll be using on your game, as we all know, the actual saga of the manga is going veeeeeeeery lazy and boring. The first season, where we know only that Shinigami can fight and defeat Hollows (and Menos Grande, at some point) can give you a new and interesting world than what we got after Aizen's Caramelldansen on Soul Society. Hell, even the non-existence of Bankai could get more of your plans! (AKA: don't add Vaizards, Bounts, person Bankai, Nazi Quincies and Butterfly Hougyoku Users; but this is all a suggestion.)

ChaiGuy
Bystander
Bystander

Postby ChaiGuy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:52 am

@Atmo: Because of when this campaign will take place there won’t be a lot of the crazier things that you have mentioned. I think that I have a more positive outlook on the Bleach series than you seem to have, but I'm glad that you are willing to share your thoughts on the topic. I also appreciate your suggestions to make my campaign as good as possible, thank you.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”