New campaign city

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
nick_crenshaw
Bystander
Bystander

New campaign city

Postby nick_crenshaw » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:13 am

I am working on a new city for a campaign I will run or play but superheroes that I don't care. I am think of putting this city in the World of Freedom as a Chicago analog; unfortunately I have no really good name for it and no real skeleton to build from. Any of you would like to contribute any ideas or have any feedback on my ideas all are welcomed.

The two names I have in minded are Noirhaven or Metropolitan City, what do you think? If any one has a better name tell me.

The following a small number of ideas for the city:

Port/Harbor: Yes
Industry or Income: Freight
Enduring hard time: Yes

Airport District: Grimm International Airport
Artistic District: Madison
Corporate Suburbia: Silicon Ridge
Docks and Warehouse: Dockside
Downtown Corporate District: Thurstone Square
Downtown Shopping District: Vandyne Row
Factory & Industrial District: Iron City
Government District: City Central
Historic Ethnic Neighborhood: Thaitown
Modern Lower Class District:
Monuments:
Old Money District: Wainsport
Parks:
Red Light District:
Residential District:
Sports Center:
Suburbia: Parkerville
Suburban Shopping District:
University District: Pymerton

Stanley Ditko High School
Kirby Observatory
Eisner Cemetery
Siegel Tower
Shuster Tower
27th & Finger

(Joe Simon)
(Warren Ellis)
(Jim Warren)

All feedback welcomed.
Last edited by nick_crenshaw on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: New campaign city

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:52 am

nick_crenshaw wrote:Corporate Suburbia: Silicone Ridge

Those are some weird corporations if that's what the place is called. :shock:

(Just in case you don't get it: silicone is a kind of rubber, used most famous in breast implants but also in puppets.)

nick_crenshaw
Bystander
Bystander

Postby nick_crenshaw » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:57 pm

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:
nick_crenshaw wrote:Corporate Suburbia: Silicone Ridge

Those are some weird corporations if that's what the place is called. :shock:

(Just in case you don't get it: silicone is a kind of rubber, used most famous in breast implants but also in puppets.)

Oops, thank for pointing that out to me, it's now fixed. Also Silicon Ridge is not a corporation but more akin to Silicon Valley.

Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Aerlwyn » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:58 pm

The two names I have in minded are Noirhaven or Metropolitan City, what do you think? If any one has a better name tell me.

Thinking the first one would sound better as the second city name sounds to close to Superman's home city. Looking forward to seeing more details.

nick_crenshaw
Bystander
Bystander

Postby nick_crenshaw » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:56 pm

nick_crenshaw wrote:Factory & Industrial District: Iron City

Crane Industrial Center
Once a booming metal fabrication plant, the Crane Industrial Center fell on hard times in the early 1990s and never recovered. In short order, the company went bankrupt and the plant was abandoned. The building was boarded up and everything left to rust. The factory is most likely to be found in the city’s industrial sector, although it could also be placed in a more populated area if the GM chooses to go that route.

Because the bankruptcy happened so quickly, much of the inventory, equipment, and supplies were abandoned. The building has been broken into numerous times by squatters, drug dealers, and vandals. Both the interior and exterior are covered with graffiti and weeds. Nothing of value remains, and the place is littered with trash, papers, beer bottles, and bits of scrap metal.

nick_crenshaw
Bystander
Bystander

Postby nick_crenshaw » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:00 pm

nick_crenshaw wrote:Modern Lower Class District:

Bar (Rudy’s)
Rudy’s Bar has been an urban fixture for as long as anyone can remember. Something of a relic, Rudy’s continues to operate despite its declining appearance and quality of clientele. The best word to describe this establishment is “nondescript.” It seems to blend into the background neighborhood, and only the regulars seek it out. Still, Rudy’s makes the perfect location for a clandestine meeting—the regulars don’t ask questions and do their best to ignore one another.

Rudy’s Bar is named after its owner, Rudolf “Rudy” Gills. A tall and imposing man, Rudy prides himself on keeping the shabby bar in the exact condition that he purchased it in. He has seen his business survive recessions, rampant crime, urban renewal, and the occasional incursion by racketeers. Rudy has an uncanny knack for remembering names and has overheard more secrets than he cares to recall.

nick_crenshaw
Bystander
Bystander

Postby nick_crenshaw » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:02 pm

nick_crenshaw wrote:Stanley Ditko High School
Kirby Observatory
Eisner Cemetery
Siegel Tower
Shuster Tower
27th & Finger

Rosethorn Tower

nick_crenshaw
Bystander
Bystander

Postby nick_crenshaw » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:16 pm

nick_crenshaw wrote:Suburban Shopping District:

Suburban Shopping District: Three Oaks

Three Oaks Mall
The Three Oaks Mall is a typical mid-sized mall located in the suburbs. It has four main corridors connected to two central plazas. It boasts a spacious food court, a multi-screen movie theater, and three large “anchor” department stores. The stores are upscale, and vacancy in the mall is short-lived.

The mall has eight uniformed security guards on duty during business hours, along with an equal number of undercover guards that keep an eye out for shoplifters, drug dealers, and other small-time criminals. Individual stores may have their own private undercover security teams as well. Security trucks patrol the parking lot, watching for car thieves, prowlers, and muggers. Regular police and emergency aid personnel are close at hand, as well. It typically takes one to four minutes for security to arrive after a call is placed.

nick_crenshaw
Bystander
Bystander

Postby nick_crenshaw » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:21 pm

nick_crenshaw wrote:University District: Pymerton

Oroboros Books
With its main entrance located off an alleyway on a little used street, few are aware of the existence of Oroboros Books. Most people just walk past without giving it a second glance. However, this unassuming bookstore contains a fair amount of magical supplies, tomes, and magic items.

The storefront has a dingy, fly-blown window with a few books, a cauldron, and hanging dried herbs. The entire store is bursting with books of all kinds, crammed into large bookshelves and piled on the floor, without much rhyme or reason.

A short, nebbish man named Carl Voorhees owns Oroboros Books. Carl is an accomplished Mage and has been acquiring tomes and magic items for many years. His research methods are primitive by modern standards, preferring old books to computers, and he keeps his collection of oddities out of the hands of those he considers dangerous or unworthy. The bookstore grants a +2 bonus on Knowledge (arcane lore) checks if Carl allows one unrestricted use of the facilities. Carl will also sell the heroes magic items at a slight discount (subtract 2 from the purchase DC) if they prove trustworthy and capable of handling the items in question.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”