Red Planet

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Ash Williams
Sidekick
Sidekick

Red Planet

Postby Ash Williams » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:51 am

So, my group has thought about doing a setting that's loosely based on the John Carter series (with a healthy dose of sword & sorcery, of course). The primary rule is that there aren't any Earthpeople who've arrived via magic carpet, Zeta beam, astral projection, or what have you. We came up with four different species; their "powers" are basically abilities that are indigenous to their species (I'll include those in a later write-up):

* BLUE MARTIANS: Humanoid, with blue skin, and either white or blond hair. Attire has a very Hyborian/Melnibonean look to it (cultures primarily influenced by bits Ancient China, Greece, Egypt and Rome).
* RED APES: Living in kingdoms near the poles, they're basically intelligent red-furred gorillas (though they walk upright most of the time). Their culture is similar to a decaying Roman Empire, with splashes of Celtic and Viking barbarism. Most just wear kilts with weapon belts.
* SAVAGE MARTIANS: Yellow-skinned knockoffs of the classic "Green Men" from the John Carter series. 10-13 feet tall, two additional limbs, fangs. Nomadic clans named after the various animals that roam the red planet, they're primarily combat junkies. Attire is usually a ragged Egyptian-style kilt and weapon harnesses.

Equipment points aren't needed for weapons or armor; most characters have at least one weapon. However, if a character has a vehicle, such as a knockoff of Jabba the Hutt's skiff or a canal-transport (which is rare, but an option for some), that'll cost 'em. Most adventures would just be traditional sword-and-sorcery, adapted for another world. Like I said, the setting is strongly influenced by ERB. Any other suggestions/ideas?

EDIT 2/8/2014: Decided to get rid of the spider-folk; their powers were fairly easy to think up; but that was about all I could come up with. Besides, three cultures are enough.
Last edited by Ash Williams on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Find something to believe in. And find it for yourself. And when you do, pass it on to the future. - Iroquois Pliskin

kingk
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Red Planet

Postby kingk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:55 pm

Well, I suppose the next step is establishing your named cities, ala John Carter's Helium.

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:57 pm

Might I suggest Hydrogen? :P
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Ash Williams
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Ash Williams » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:27 am

Well, some of the established areas my group's come up with (we'll think up names later):

BLUE MARTIAN
* One kingdom that's basically the "jewel" of their culture. Basically Camelot meets Ankh-Morporkh.
* Another one that's basically treason incarnate, chock full o' backstabbers and deceit. A lot of the cities are inhabited ruins.
* A location that's home to various nomadic tribes, with an abandoned city used as a Moroccan-style open market.
* A religious cult haven, with a new cult seemingly popping up every other month.
* A kingdom that was overthrown by a revolution several generations ago; currently acting as the equivalent of a police-state.

APE EMPIRE
* Primarily in the jungle area surrounding the northernmost pole. Has an easy peace with the Blues, except for occasional skirmishes. There's a capital city, and various smaller towns surrounding the area.

GOLDEN WASTES
* Primarily desert, with plant and animal life designed to survive in this type of environment. Home to the savage Martians, both nomadic tribes and those that inhabit the hundreds of abandoned cities/villages/kingdoms that died out long long ago.

GREY EXPANSES
* An extremely dangerous area surrounding the largest volcano on Mars. Basically a death-zone, inhabited by extremely dangerous monsters and creratures, as well as an extremely harsh environment. Enter at your own peril.

Other things can just be made up on the fly. Since most of Burroughs' stories were written pre-Tolkien, a city could just be described as "being a four-day journey away", or what have you. Mars had a vibrant civilization in ancient times; the planet may be dying, but their toys were left scattered all over the yard.

We haven't been able to think up environments for the Spinne. Most likely they'd inhabit small villages or caverns near the canals.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”