Mortal Instruments Campaign

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Mortal Instruments Campaign

Postby mancerbear » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:44 am

It has been a VERY long time since I've posted, so bear with me to catch up with the current politics :)

I'm going to run a Mortal Instruments-style game using M&M3e. This is the first time I've used 3e in this manner, so I'm finding it an interesting challenge. All the players will be mundanes learning that they are in fact, not mundane at all but half-angels. This will propel them into the world of the Supernatural, training, earning their Marks, etc. So, in the first session the characters will only be around PL4-5, but quickly through a few session achieve PL8. From that point, progress will slow significantly, but XP will be used to by more Marks, learn more skills, etc.

My first decision is to decide if the Sight is a power or not. The easiest way of achieving this would be making it not a power, but a flaw on invisibility that it only works on the Mundane. I'm not sure I'm happy with this for a few reasons. First and foremost, before a Niphilhm gains a Mark to stabilize their Sight, it is unreliable. Secondly, it can be made more powerful by other Marks. This is important, and therefore will be purchased as a power.

Secondly, Supernaturals will all be required to have the Benefit feat, listing what sort of Supernatural they are, eg, Benefit (Nephilm). This serves to allow me to taloir certain powers and equipment to require this Benefit to work. Therefore, a Mundane (no benefit) cannot have an Angelic Mark placed on them, as that requires the Benefit (Niphilhm) to work. Niphlihm cannot use Demonic Magic because it requires the Benefit (Demon) to be accessible.

Lastly, the Marks were giving me a bit of a hassle at first. My original idea was to have them in an array, and yes, that makes sense in a 'points-based' way, but does limit the Shadowhunters from using all their Marks at the same time, which they seem to be able to do. As an example, they don't lose their invisibility to Mundanes when they use their enhanced strength or speed in combat. This implies to me that the Marks are not in fact an array, but a list of separate abilities.

Anyway, that's all that I've got at the moment. I'm open to discussion and conversation on this (of course, otherwise why put it up at all *grin*), so please, throw in your 2cents worth; I'd love to hear it.

Gilliam
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Mortal Instruments Campaign

Postby Gilliam » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:02 am

One way is to make the powers in the array dynamic and add the Wide Array extra to the base power (from Masterminds Manual pg 76) although I am not sure if wide option is available in 3E.

mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby mancerbear » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:06 am

Gilliam wrote:One way is to make the powers in the array dynamic and add the Wide Array extra to the base power (from Masterminds Manual pg 76).

I was thinking this too, Gilliam. I can't remember if Wide is a feat In 3e (pretty bad considering how much writing I've done for the system for Green Ronin *grin*)

mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby mancerbear » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:27 am

Okay, here's my first take on a shadowhunter template. I don't think it's too bad, and is only meant to represent a shadowhunter of no great power... just your average one, so to speak. Input, as always, is welcome.

Shadowhunter - PL 8

Strength 4/2, Stamina 2, Agility 5/2, Dexterity 3, Fighting 5, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 2

Advantages
Attractive, Benefit 2: Negate Unreliable on Sight, Benefit: Niphilhm, Close Attack 2, Connected, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 1, Evasion, Fearless, Improved Critical: Marked Sword, Improved Initiative 2, Languages 2, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 2

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+7), Expertise: The Clave 6 (+6), Expertise: The Supernatural 4 (+4), Intimidation 2 (+4), Investigation 4 (+4), Perception 4 (+5)

Powers
Invisibility: Concealment 3 (Sense - Hearing, Sense - Sight; Limited: to Mundanes)
Protection: Protection 1 (+1 Toughness)
Marked Sword (Advantages: Improved Critical)
. . Damage: Damage 2 (DC 17; Incurable; Limited: to Demons)
. . Damage: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 22)
Speed: Enhanced Trait 8 (Traits: Agility +3 (+5), Advantages: Improved Initiative 2)
Strength: Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Strength +2 (+4))
Sure Striking: Enhanced Trait 4 (Advantages: Close Attack 2, Ranged Attack 2)
The Sight: Senses 4 (Counters Concealment: Sight, Counters Illusion: Sight; Innate; Limited: to Supernatural Effects, Unreliable (roll))
Voyance: Enhanced Trait 2 (Advantages: Benefit 2: Negate Unreliable on Sight)

Equipment
Leather Clothing [Protection: Protection 1, +1 Toughness]

Offense
Initiative +13
Damage: Marked Sword 7/9, +7 (DC 22/25)
Grab, +7 (DC Spec 14)
Throw, +5 (DC 19)
Unarmed, +7 (DC 19)

Languages
Cthonic, English, Fey

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 5, Toughness 5/2, Will 3

Power Points
Abilities 34 + Powers 30 + Advantages 13 + Skills 11 (22 ranks) + Defenses 17 = 105

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:26 pm

Mancerbear, I know that it's been a long time, but I trust that you won't mind my asking if you remain well? :)
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby mancerbear » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:23 am

Hey Libra,

No, please ask away.

Things have not been good for me mate... broken heart, business gone bust, homeless, belongings scattered over 3 states, etc. Live has been pretty tough.

I have a new home now, living back in Melbourne and sharing with an old dear friend. Trying to get my business up and running again while working on regaining my mental health. Fun and games all round.

How are you, my friend?

Darren

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”