Collapsed Version of Marvel Timeline

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Collapsed Version of Marvel Timeline

Postby Stormson » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:12 pm

I'm running a Marvel based campaign, and the basic idea is to distill the history of it down to a decade's worth of recent events, with a few exceptions for heroic activity outside that decade. For example, having the decade kick off with the Fantastic Four emerging, Spidey shortly afterwards, X-Men, etc, and the stripping some of the fluff storylines from the years for a solid coherent event list in case the players eventually ask "Did this happen and what happened when it did". I have a few fundamental things down, IE, Captain America and the Invaders still existed in WW2, (Namor being there and in the present is just explained by making atlanteans longer to age), Hulk still was created in the 60s, but with no other super powered threats, besides an initial skirmish, has been largely ignored and allowed to live in seclusion, and also putting a firm "No time travel, no alternate universe events" rule down. But while I can easily boil Spidey down to a decade, Im less familiar with the Avengers, Xmen, and well, most of the rest of marvel outside of the movies and cartoons.

Curious what Marvel Universe events you feel are "fundamental" to any marvel u timeline? I do want Civil War, even if it's handled differently, as I don't see costumed vigilantes being widely accepted with no over sight, and I think Secret Wars would be a good mid decade event, (with spidey wearing the black suit 1-2 years) but not sure what else I might want to include. Any suggestions?

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Collapsed Version of Marvel Timeline

Postby Libra » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:01 pm

I would have to think a bit and do some research; I'll see what (if anything) I can produce to help you out.

Best of luck with this project, by the way! :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:58 am

You might want to start here.

Also you could try and use some of what I did in the Ultimate Sourcebook (see my signature) for the time periods before your "decade."

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:04 am

I would suggest that, instead of including EVERYTHING you include only 1/2 or 2/3rds - leaving enough material to weave something for the FUTURE of this setting, as well as the past (it also means you don't have to squash everything into a decade, ensuring a more elegant fit).
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Oh, I definitely don't include for full inclusion, because that would just leave a mess. Im instead boiling down to "essentials", with there being a -small- heroic presence during WW2, (Im thinking Cap, Bucky, Namor, and the android Torch) and then the Hulk is created during a bomb testing during the cold war era. Due to lack of globalization at that point, and constant surveillance, after a few disastrous military encounters the Hulk is left in seclusion, and is treated like a myth akin to Bigfoot and the Loch ness Monster. The doors blow open on the Marvel Universe due to an experiment done by Reed Richards and Victor Von Doom. That fundamental event is what triggers a majority of otherwise impossible events. (Basically allowing for the original type origins, where irradiated people possibly gain powers, beyond all reasonable logic.)

There is one wild card, with Wolverine, but I haven't decided how to address that particular thorn.

Edit: And thanks for the wiki and Ultimate Guide, while Im not using the Ultimate timeline of events, it's still a large help.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:25 pm

Fair enough. :)

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:55 pm

As you are including the Invaders in the timeline, I would suggest allowing for the continuous presence of a "Captain American" and partner (Bucky, Golden Girl, Falcon, placeholder-hero-by-decade), as the U.S. government wanted to keep the Super Soldier symbol viable-this means the replacement Captain America types who took over the role from Steve Rogers until he was revived from suspended animation. I presume the original Human Torch was still rendered dormant in your Marvel U and Namor remains youthful and vital due to his mutant physiology and Atlantean/human hybrid genes.

In the 1950s, I might use the "Secret Avengers"/Agents of Atlas team, a team of heroes under the direction of the FBI and a nascent SHIELD, enjoined against operating in public but dispatched against Communist super-soldiers, alien menaces, and science run amok. Again, more or less written off as mostly publicity stunts/propaganda figures by the U.S. populace, with their few visible adventures being street-level in nature.

In the 1960s, you have the Hulk (whose regenerative powers and basic impervious nature keep both him and his alter-ego relatively young), and maybe Dr. Strange (another figure of urban legend, reclusive and enigmatic). Prof. Xavier and Magneto meet and work together during this time, before a mission cripples Charles and radicalizes Erik Lensherr into a mutant terrorist. (I'd make this era's Captain America an adult Bucky Barnes).

1970s-1980s: Charles Xavier forms the first band of teenage X-men (Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Angel, Beast), none of them older than 17 when first recruited-most still active in the present day, in their prime years and vital due to their training and mutant vigor). The mysterious Wolverine first appears in Canada fighting the Hulk and another savage cryptid-Wolverine's past remains mostly unexplained, with no memories of his childhood or teen years. The Punisher, a Vietnam veteran, begins his war against the underworld. Minor figures such as Omega the Unknown and the Cat have short-lived careers before vanishing into obscurity. (There are a number of replacement Caps, none lasting long, until Rick Jones takes up the mantle for a decade.) The longest lived of these are Power Man and Iron Fist, two streel level supers who form a long lasting partnership.

1990s-early 2000s: Earliest encounters with aliens such as the Kree and Skrulls. Captain Mar-Vell arrives on Earth, first serving as a Kree agent until his life's path leads him to become a superhero, fighting a war in the shadows against the subterfuge of both races. Mutants become more common and publicly known, especially because of Magneto. Wolverine begins a series of adventures in the US and world-wide, mostly uncostumed. Shang-Chi the master of kung-fu joins with agents of MI-6 and Nick Fury's SHIELD against his father the Mandarin and the HYDRA organization. A number of violent and unprincipled vigilantes in the 1990s, including the Punisher, deepen suspicions about costumed heroes.
(Rick Jones ends his time as Captain America, the role is adopted first by Sam Wilson and then Jack Munroe, the Bucky of the 1950s).

Past decade: SHIELD backs the mission of Reed Richards, Ben Grimm, and the Storm siblings to establish Earth as a space-faring planet, in an effort to gain the respect of the Kree, Skrull, and emergent Shi'ar empires. Their transformation into the Fantastic Four triggers the greatest superheroic age since World War II. Tony Stark creates the Iron Man armor in Afghanistan. Spider Man is born. Prof. X recruits the modern-day team of X-Men. Thor returns to Earth after a long absence. The original Captain America returns. The Avengers Initiative is created by Nick Fury, and the team's first mission involves going after the Hulk, who becomes a reluctant member of the team. Dr. Victor Von Doom carves out a kingdom in the Balkans, conquering parts of several small Eastern European nations. The Skrull infiltration is thwarted by Captain Mar-Vell and the Avengers, which escalates into their involvement in the Skrull-Kree war in their third year of existence. Namor the Sub-Mariner returns to activity in the surface world. Magneto and the Brotherhood become a world-wide threat. Many super-villains, mutant and otherwise, appear. The government creates the first Sentinels. The Secret Wars take place, involving cosmic figures pitting Earth superhumans against each other. A second wave of modern supers appear, such as the vicious Venom, the She-Hulk, the Young Avengers, and the mentally unstable Sentry, and others. The latter tend to be less experienced and sometimes less clearly heroic, resulting in several tragedies. The superhero community is split, and federal officials push for registration and other strictures governing super-beings, leading to the Civil War.

Hope any of that might prove helpful. All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

rtrimmer
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby rtrimmer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:24 pm

60 years into 10 years isn't stripping fluff, it's stripping 5/6 of it unless you're stuffing multiple pounds into a one pound bag. Do what the writers do and ignore everything you don't want to deal with. (Frex: Fear Itself decimated humanity and half wrecked most cities. Aftermath: Megadeaths? Wrecked cities?)

Where are your players coming from? Are they serious Marvel fanboys? What parts are important to them? What parts do you want to play with?

You're trimming a chimera down to a lean, mean leopard. Big cuts.

I took the -relatively- easy way out. I'm running a SHIELD game and went with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, plus the various X-Men and Spidey movies to complicate it a bit.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:21 am

As R. Trimmer puts it at somewhat greater length than myself: Don't feel obliged to work out how to keep EVERYTHING, just work out what you DEFINATELY want to keep and feel free to reinterpret the rest in light of that (Grant Morrison's 'Everything is Canon, but some of it has more firepower than others' approach is the only sensible one when faced with decades of anecdotes, myths and legends relating to the Super-people; if you're worried about remaining true to the spirit of the character, well, that just means you're the right person for the job).*

*This doesn't necessarily mean you'll do a GOOD job, but you will have tried your hardest and deserve respect for having done so - something people seem to forget when anathemising DC and Marvel is that they're exactly the same sort of people as we are, otherwise they wouldn't be trying to make a living writing COMICS .

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:15 pm

After some thought this is exactly the approach I've taken. One of the players is familiar with marvel pre-2000 and the other Im not sure outside of the movies. I have established the following things so far.

WW2 Era: The Invaders were a legend of wartime and were considered to be a Modern Myth. Captain America had his own comic book, which was eventually canceled. Super Hero comics never made a come back after the Golden Age.

Cold War Era: In an experiment gone wrong, testing a possible new weapon of war, the Hulk is created. After a few initial disastrous (and highly classified) engagements with the green skinned monstrosity, the military takes the hint that "HULK JUST WANTS TO BE LEFT ALONE" and he wanders the uncivilized areas of North America. He becomes a modern myth, akin to Loch Ness Monster, Chupacabra, Jersey Devil, and Big Foot, with occasional "friend of a friend" stories being told. One popular variant is a fight witnessed by two hunters in the Canadian wilderness, between the Hulk and the Feral Beastman.

Modern Era:

Dec 31 2000-January 5 2001: Reed Richards and Crew attempt to test a theoretical "Lightspeed" Device, launching from the sovereign nation of Latveria, given permission to use the country as a launch point on one condition. Victor Von Doom is a passenger. Rumors of further connections between Reed and the Monarch abound, but the general consensus is that the braggadocious monarch simply wants the claim of "First Monarch in Space". The results of said expedition are a global spectacle, as the ship's attempt to propel itself results in a literal "Satellite Death Beam", and while not striking any populated area, a mark is left in the Himalayan Mountains. A foot note of the event is that the private jet of neurosurgeon Stephen Sanders is lost in the area, and the doctor is presumed dead.

Q1 2001: The crew of the failed lightspeed expedition (minus Doom) are welcomed back to America, and the publicity machine begins spinning, downplaying the frightening implications of the event. Further concerns are squashed when an angry aquatic based species of humanoids attacks New York, only to be repelled by the era's first heroes, the Fantastic Four. The legends of Atlantis are considered confirmed to all but the most skeptical, with some historians pointing out the last case of Atlantean involvement on the surface world being during WW2.

As a result, the four are granted access to a state of the art scientific facility to use as their base of operations on the condition they continue to protect New York and America from threats, natural and unnatural, long hidden in plain sight as the Baxter Paper Building. While most people consider their acquisition of the dated eyesore by the heroes a blessing, few realize that the Four simply update the building's outside to resemble it's long hidden core. Rumors of a connection between Richards and a "Baxter think tank" operation prior to his legendary experiment swim through conspiracy channels, but are considered to be on level with Elvis and Batboy sightings by the public.

Q2 2001: Masked vigilante Spider-Man appears, having unknown origin but being the first notable super powered humanoid since the FF emerged. For unknown reasons, despite his good deeds, and generally observed outgoing nature, a vicious slander campaign begins in the media, attempting to sour opinion on the hero for his unwillingness to comply with requests to reveal his secrets, and eventually a conflict occurs, as Spider-Man promises to "Give the Four a show they won't forget", infiltrating the highly secured Baxter complex.

The conflict is entirely verbal and it's content and events remain secret to the world, but much to their "handlers" chagrin, the Four endorse Spider-Man as another of New York's protectors, personally vouching for his worthiness and promising to make amends if said faith is misplaced.

The truth of the conversation is that a disgusted Peter Parker, heartbroken by the smear campaign being waged, was prepared to cave and reveal his identity, on the grounds that he be allowed to join the unmasked "Fantastics" and they care for his aunt. The Four reject the offer, promising to assist Spider-Man on a non-public (and non-financial) level, but warning him the worst mistake he could possibly make would be to reveal his identity, citing countless legal issues and "expected favors" that occur as a result.

A mysterious armored warrior appears in the middle east, and while an initial furor over his appearance and violation of the "No Fly Zones" occurs, the critics are immediately silenced when "The Invincible Iron Man" delivers an infamous dictator into the hands of US forces. The motivations for this act are largely unknown at the time.

Q3 2001: Spurred to new rage by an unknown source, the Hulk emerges from the pages of tabloid myth and rages and attacks the town of Braxton, Oklahoma. While actual casualty levels are quite low, because despite his mythical quality, the approach of the Hulk is a very -real- and very -loud- thing, giving plenty of forewarning before the chaos starts. The reason for this attack is unknown, but what is known is the descent of a near immaculate figure from the heavens, proclaiming himself to be the legendary Norse God Thor, to do battle with the emerald beast. The initial fight is catastrophic and finishes laying waste to the town, but with the arrival of "Super Science!" Couple Henry and Janet Pym, and the Invincible Iron Man, the new group battles the Hulk, driving him away. Before the Hulk retreats, he promises to repay the "Thunderbolt Defender" Thor, with the few witnesses assuming it a reference to Thor's power.

The media proclaims the group "The Avengers of Braxton", but that is quickly shortened to the much catchier "Avengers", and the group is approached with a similar deal presented to the Fantastic Four. While the Pyms and Iron Man accept, (with Iron Man's identity still a goverment secret) Thor laughs at the "empty threats and promises" of the goverment liason, instead stating he will assist the team because he wants to, but on his own terms. After a quick consideration that the madman went toe to toe in sole battle with the hulk, the terms, (or lack of) are accepted.

----

Further Notes not addressed yet, but pointed out to the players. "Civil War" happened. Captain America "dissapeared". Was triggered by Stamford Incident, which was the first super heroic related tragedy broadcast live on "reality TV". SHRA is a success following the Civil War, with Tony Stark sitting on the database of registered identities and content. Later conflicts with "The Skrulls" leads to him stepping down from SHIELD, replaced by his handpicked choice, Harry Osborn, so that Iron Man can focus on his own personal security projects. The SHRA database remains in sole possession of Tony Stark.

Harry Osborn is -adored- by the public at large as the "Iron Patriot". His true motivations are unknown, but rumors have always remained about a conflict between his father and Spider-Man that led to Norman Osborn's demise.

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:44 pm

I've decided on 3 rules.

1. No Time Travel. Period. This eliminates a -lot- of things, story wise, but ultimately doesn't hurt much. I think the only noteworthy time travel story I know of was Days of Future Past, and some Kang/Immortus stuff, but I know jackshit about those two characters anyway. This may mean I need to get creative if I want to involve Cable, but honestly, Im not sold that he's needed.

2. No Cosmics. Mostly. Skrulls aren't commonly known to be an alien threat until after Secret Invasion, and Kree/Shi'Ar/etc aren't known at all. Some characters still need an alien aspect in their backstory, (Captain Marvel, male and female versions) but Im trying to keep the story "Global".

This absolutely does NOT MEAN Galactus is off the table, and I plan on a pretty big thing being related to Galactus at some point in the first 3 years.

3. Dead means Dead. Maybe. What this means is that some characters had -iconic- death stories written for them, remained dead for quite some time, then some random hack necro'd them. There may be a few "fake deaths" on the board, but for the most part, dead sticks as a status effect. (Yep, that means Norman Osborn died, and stated dead. Jean Grey probably too. I'll deal with more tombstones as I reach them.)

The running idea is that Reed Richards triggered -something- with his experiment, but earlier triggers occurred as well. Im co-opting the idea that the first generation of mutants was a result of the first atomic bomb testing, as the resulting effect on reality caused some "quirks". The lid gets blown off with Richards event, however, which explains the explosion of the mutant population. (I plan to -not- use House of M, personally.)

Edit: Im also tempted if I really want to just use real world analogues for figures when needed. Iron Man obviously is meant to have captured Saddam Hussein, which has -effects- obviously. One HUGE elephant in the room is the WTC, and part of me thinks it might just be best to ignore it, but part of me has an -idea- for it that still works in the timeline.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:38 am

Keep up the splendid work Stormson! :D

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Beleriphon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Stormson wrote:There is one wild card, with Wolverine, but I haven't decided how to address that particular thorn.

I'd personally leave him be. Nothing says mutants have been around in the Marvel universe for centuries. Maybe it is only recently in your timeline that power outwardly visible displays of extreme abilities have been noted. I think that makes for an interesting hook for Xavier's start and research into mutants.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:36 am

Basically keep Wolverine a mystery with a multiple-choice past; it's an approach that suits that hirsute troubleshooter better than most in my honest opinion.

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Beleriphon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:17 am

Libra wrote:Basically keep Wolverine a mystery with a multiple-choice past; it's an approach that suits that hirsute troubleshooter better than most in my honest opinion.

That would probably be the best approach. Leaving Wolverine's past open prior to the 50s or 60s isn't unreasonable, which allows you to subvert or confirm whatever assumptions your players might come up with.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”