Age of Wonders thread IV

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:42 am

Voltron64 wrote:Charles, what would Mr. King hand police similar to the ones in Transmetropolitan*? Give 'em a taste of their own medicine and invite friends like Justicar-0 and Fade for the ride?

:twisted:

*A bunch of corrupt powertrippers in it to murder people at random.

Mister King handles corrupt cops the way he's always handled them.

The same way as Commander Shepard.

"Your men took money to kill me. That makes them mercenaries. I can kill mercenaries."

Seriously, though, they're the one group Mister King hates more than the cartels.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:43 am

Voltron64 wrote:Might this be the time to mention that I have Agent Lepus' partner in HANG be basically a cyberpunk street samurai? (I'm talking Suzuki motorcycle, katana, wired reflexes and everything.)

Plus, I imagine Lepus is one of the few people in the agency that Stillman is genuinely afraid of?

Color me intrigued!

And yes, Agent Lepus is crazy like that. Basically imagine an incredibly hardass cop like Dirty Callahan and give him just enough of a sense of humor to think the bunny thing is funny--and enough to get people to lower their guard.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:38 am

Charles, I have an idea on what happened to the Celestial Lions once Marduk and The Order kicked their keisters.

The majority of them were exiled back to the Aetherium and given a stern talking to by the Pantheon. :mrgreen:

Other after effects include:

-Action Survivor and Dreamer as well as other Nexi recruits have joined The Order after realizing how relatively villainous the High Aeons were. Beacon and Lightstep of the Starhearts have become members as well.

-Mr. Arcane has made up with the Celestial Conductor and the rest of the Pantheon, earning back their patronage and the power boost coming with it.

-Namtar managed to flee during the showdown and is currently trying to lay low. He was last seen apparently trying to integrate himself into the Celestial Lions. :shock:

MORE TO COME...MAYBE
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:40 am

Does anyone else think that Miss Natalie Dormer would make a most excellent casting choice for The Golden Minx? (I'd love to see her play some variation on Catwoman, since I suspect that she can incarnate 'Sneaky' and 'Charming' to such a degree that she would suit the role very well).
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:46 am

Libra wrote:Does anyone else think that Miss Natalie Dormer would make a most excellent casting choice for The Golden Minx? (I'd love to see her play some variation on Catwoman, since I suspect that she can incarnate 'Sneaky' and 'Charming' to such a degree that she would suit the role very well).

Funny, I could see her as either the Commandant or Grand Admiral Marie. :mrgreen:

(Plus, here's how I imagine Marie would be like if interrogated by the Free Brethren Council with truth serum while under all those psychotropic drugs she's been taking.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrCBZQUAutc
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:56 am

Psst, expect to see my novel sometime later this year.

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Phrozen » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:02 am

Libra wrote:Does anyone else think that Miss Natalie Dormer would make a most excellent casting choice for The Golden Minx? (I'd love to see her play some variation on Catwoman, since I suspect that she can incarnate 'Sneaky' and 'Charming' to such a degree that she would suit the role very well).

Good choice. My inspiration for her was actually Alexandra Daddario from White Collar.

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Phrozen » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:02 am

Charles Phipps wrote:Psst, expect to see my novel sometime later this year.

Excellent let us know so we can buy it.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:08 am

Natalie Dormer plays minx and power player well.

:mrgreen:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:57 pm

Well after Kat's second surgery (to remove the stuff from her first), pneumonia, and a few other unpleasant bits-- there's some decent new write-ups coming through.

Including the AOW's version of the League.

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:10 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:
Voltron64 wrote:Just to be clear again, if Victor Vanquish was in Clark's place, Zod and his men would've been completely screwed?

Clark didn't do poorly except for the small fact of really needing to MOVE THE FIGHT ELSEWHERE.

Almost all Supermen and counterparts can't help but Marvel at Clark's decision to continue the smash up his hometown as well as Metropolis.

:roll:

I know I'm a bit late on this, but having just watched a commentary on this very subject I feel I must chime in.

All Supermen and counterparts would realize Clark was in an untenable situation, since making a Kryptonian go someplace that Kryptonian doesn't want to go to is difficult at best. Christopher Reeves' Superman would then wonder what the big deal about killing Zod was, since he did it himself.

Awkward silence then ensues and the subject is changed. :lol:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:54 am

If its any consolation, I just wrote a review of the movie on my blog.

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:18 am

Charles Phipps wrote:If its any consolation, I just wrote a review of the movie on my blog.

Good review Charles.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:26 am

So, I check in after an extended absence to see if this thread is still active and notice this:

Charles Phipps wrote:Psst, expect to see my novel sometime later this year.

Congratulations, Charles.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:58 am

Charles, please accept my best wishes for the good health of Mrs Phipps - whom I hope is now recovering from her latest brush with ill-health - and for yourself, of course! :)

Including the AOW's version of the League.

Now, please forgive me as I ask "Which league? Catholic League? Rugby League? The Solemn League and Covenant?" (History in-joke). :wink:

You can tell what Superman's thinking here. Hot.

Actually this being Clark it's more likely to be "Hot - As in NOT COOL!" (FIght Scene: Goodbye Metropolis Downtown, hopefully Big Blue will help rebuild you in time for the World's Finest team-up film coming down the pipe).

In all honesty Charles, I rather agree with most of your conclusions r.e. Man of Steel as it's not an inherently bad film and might very well prove to be a decent foundation from which to build on in later movies (even Zod's unfortunate demise allows for a sub-plot in which Superman makes his fateful decision to never take a life and STICKS to his decision); I still think they should have depicted Clark as the sort of man who can whip up a version of events convincing enough to allow him to secure clothing in the aftermath of that Oil Rig Rescue WITHOUT stealing it from that clothesline though.

Also I'm less than sold on the super-suit that Mr Cavil has been saddled with (quite frankly were I writing the sequel I'd include a sub-plot about it being MURDER to hide under a suit, leading to it being replaced with something a bit more classic … and concealable).

As you may or may not have noted, I rather like the film (Henry Cavil looks as if he stepped right out of an Alex Ross poster in the best possible way and I love just how … POTENT the special effects make the original superpowers feel), but more particularly that I think it's the sequel that will settle how Man of Steel ought to be regarded, whether as a foundation stone for a DC franchise that just needs to settle into place in the Public Imagination or as competent, but more of a do-over than a keeper.

Also has anyone else wondered why the DC Animated team haven't tried to emulate the Marvel Cinematic 'Single films add up to a Superhero Serial' approach as yet? (Don't get me wrong, their efforts have long been above average but they don't really add up to more than the sum of their parts).
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”