Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

The Crinoverse 2 (End of Part 2)

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.

Re: The Crinoverse 2 (Vigilantes International)

Postby Crinos » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:43 am

Maybe you could run two cosmic games with two groups, like Pokemon red and blue.
Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:35 am

Well, I'm not sure how the Horror game worked last time tbh, and I have no idea what ARCADE is. Perhaps a more 'Agents of Freedom' style game, where we work for AEGIS or UNISON?
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:37 am

ARCADE is basically the AEGIS equivalent that handles scary supernatural and horror themed stuff. They also have a spell on them that prevents everyone except 200 people (180 staff plus 20 outsiders) from remembering they exist.

Kind of like a supernatural MIB except they have the neuralizers built right in.
Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:39 am

they also have a guy whom when confronted with the earthly manifestation of a hotel-sized tentacled abomination is to promise to corner the world market on freshly prepared calimari
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions
Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Yeoman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:19 am

Crinos wrote:Maybe you could run two cosmic games with two groups, like Pokemon red and blue.

I considered it, but I don't want to hog the entire front page of the game board, and I plan on having the PCs separated out into more than just two groups for awhile. Plus, no idea how many people there will be until I start.
Yeoman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Phrozen » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:02 pm

Crinos wrote:I'm also down with 3e.

Incidentally, now that Supernaturals has come out, I am itching to try another Horror themed game, this one featuring ARCADE and in 3e. Might do it alongside AA. Any takers if so?

I would be in.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Leliel » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Hey speaking of which, it's time I finally got around to that Abyss write-up!

The Abyss: Graveyard of Broken Realities

Some say the Abyss is a hole between the Supernal and the rest of the universe. They are misguided-the Abyss is not a "hole", as that would imply a lack of substance. The Abyss encompasses all that is unreal, including impossible substance.

Some say the Abyss is a result of Atlantean hubris, believing they could order the Supernal to their ideals. They are wrong-while the fall of Atlantis was caused, at least in part, one of the greatest Intrusions on record, the Abyss was long before Atlantis, and as a whole did not even notice it was gone.

Orkus says the Abyss is a result of his manipulations, another tool in his quest to conquer and then destroy the universe. He is lying-though like all good lies, it contains an element of truth.

In all truth, while Orkus did open the first known portal there with a working of the darkest magic and the most obscene science, the Abyss is, and always has been, a byproduct of the existence of the cosmos-in all its iterations. Quite simply, the Light is not a perfect entity, and during the rebirth of the cosmos after the Dark devours it, its creative energy is unfocused, random. It takes the form of every potential thing and every potential non-thing that can exist in the reborn cosmos, and invariably, a few manifestations of its power are...broken. Paradoxical. Simply impossible. That Which Should Not Be.

As the new multiverse cools and hardens, these manifestations of a warped potential are squirreled away in a bizarre pesudo-space that exists outside the entire cosmos-even the Annhilation Zone. This, not the hole between the Supernal and everything else, is the true Abyss-a prison and junkyard for the Failures of God, a place where the Paradox Laws may exist without harming the rest of reality.

And they are not happy about it.

The Paradox Laws, you see, are not dead, still things. They, much like physical laws in the true cosmos, proceed to enforce themselves on the formless substance of the Abyss, forming entire, stillborn dimensions around themselves. These dimensions, the Greater Abyssal Entities, have an emergent intelligence born from the interaction of their horrid inhabitants and warped internal logic, and each one is acutely aware of the fact that it is a way the cosmos could have been, but wasn't. This knowledge, that they are unwanted by existence, angers and upsets them, and so they, in their vast, alien manner, look upon the real universe with envy and hate, desiring to be the real universe, or at least destroy it so that they too may be recycled by the Light and so end their pain.

And they would have remained out there, if Orkus has not made what he considers (privately) to be one of his few blunders, and letting them in.

See, the Abyss, as a whole, requires permission; part of the genius of imprisoning the Things That Should Not Be in the Abyss is that the space is literally conceptual-if the inhabitants of the cosmos do not allow the Abyss to Intrude, in most cases it cannot. A young Orkus, unfortunately, realized this, and in his pride, thought he could use the Abyss' desire to replace reality for his own benefit. The destruction of several Anti-Gods and at least one True Entropic Master informed him otherwise. The Greater Abyssal Entities cannot be ruled, in much the same way the nuclear forces, gravity, and electromagnetism cannot be ruled-only have relatively infinitesimal bits of themselves directed towards a certain task. They can, however, be served, and as the inhabitants who thought on a more mortal scale realized, there was no shortage of people who thought as if reality itself had turned against them, and were willing to listen to the idea of...changing it.

So were born not only the first Scelesti, the Magi of the Abyss, but also the innumerable cultists who serve, knowingly or not, the Things That Should Not Be. And as they have established footholds, the Abyss has found it easier and easier to Intrude, almost to the point where they don't even need to ask, even subconsciously.

Terminology: A Greater Abyssal Entity is, as mentioned, a broken, semi-sapient universe born from a Paradox Law, a physical, mystical, scientific, or biological natural law of the universe that simply doesn't make sense and would cause damage to the fabric of the universe. When allowed into the Tellurian through dark deeds, morbid desires or evil ritual, the resultant Abyss-born phenomenon is called an Intrusion. These are not always living or even physical entities, and in fact often manifest as a twisting of natural law into the bizarre; distortions of the space-time continuum are a good example, though far from the only. Which isn't to say they don't happen of course-in this case the entity is called a Gulmoth, and usually only stays in the Tellurian long enough to accomplish some arcane goal that furthers the agenda of the Greater Abyssal Entity that spawned it, sets the stage for more Intrusions, or the destruction of reality (though this isn't necessarily large-could be it just wants to devour a single soul or some relatively small thing that creates a lot of pain and heartache for a smallish number of people). In particularly large-scale or catastrophic Intrusions, the Gulmoth may become stuck in the Tellurian and become an Acamoth, an emissary of the Abyss. The Acamoth invariably become quite powerful as they parasitically leech off of the Tellurian's energy and gain the ability to send dreams that entice people to provoke Intrusions, form cults of it, or even to give the Acamoth permission to use an individual's mind as a "home away from home", using it as a gateway for Abyssal energies to stream through and return the Acamoth, however briefly, to the Abyss. Needless to say, this is not good for a person's sanity or moral compass, so an Abyssal sojourn by an Acamoth is phrased as an archetypal Devil's Deal-"allow me to stomp around your subconscious for a bit, and I'll give you special powers". Naturally, these Investitures come built with an expiration date, so that the Acamoth get repeat customers.

(I'll probably return to this once The Left-Handed Path for Mage comes out, and I can explore the Scelesti from their POV)
Leliel
Groupie
Groupie

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:46 am

You know, I have to suppose that the first thing Skeleton Key does after arriving on 409 is to free "political prisoner" Frank Meltzer.

And accidentally set free some other villains from Super Alcatraz.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:57 am

really, between her, windracer, durga and foxfire, we're definately hitting Avengers academy's concept of 'at risk of going supervillain'
Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:06 am

Kreuzritter wrote:really, between her, windracer, durga and foxfire, we're definately hitting Avengers academy's concept of 'at risk of going supervillain'

Of course, you five wont be the only students. Anyways, its funny that things worked out like this.

Also, between these four, The guy Kenseido sent me, and Yeo's character, we already got a full set.
Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:34 pm

Also, nice work with the Abyss Leliel. I can't wait to see your take on Intruders: Encounter with the abyss. Probably one of my all time favorite "Monster manuals" (Although it doesn't really qualify since most of the things in it aren't what you would describe as monsters).
Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Phrozen » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:33 pm

Kreuzritter wrote:really, between her, windracer, durga and foxfire, we're definately hitting Avengers academy's concept of 'at risk of going supervillain'

I wouldn't say that Foxfire is at risk of going supervillain, more like at risk of becoming some supervillains pawn in an effort to fix his condition. He is the type that is so withdrawn that having fangirls or fanboys would totally weird him out, not realizing that they don't know what he looks like under the mask.

Also, some villain removing it in public or in front of his teammates would totally be a kick the dog moment.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Phrozen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:10 pm

I have narrowed down Foxfire's theme song to Synchronicity II or King of Pain, both by The Police.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Leliel » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Crinos wrote:Also, nice work with the Abyss Leliel. I can't wait to see your take on Intruders: Encounter with the abyss. Probably one of my all time favorite "Monster manuals" (Although it doesn't really qualify since most of the things in it aren't what you would describe as monsters).

Really? Thank you!

Also, given how this is one of the few Intrusions which can't be condensed into a single paragraph...

Intrusion: The Nativity (aka, the Children of the Void, the Paradox-Born)

Many myths speak of the children of the gods. From Hercules to Jesus, from Bellrophon to Cuchulain, the world is filled with myths of the half-divine. More than a few heroes are demigods as well. More recently, there are children of devils and demons in the myths too, but even those have precedence-the troll-wives of Norse myth, for instance, and their monstrous offspring born from deceived husbands. Or cambions, the children of succubi and incubi, of which Merlin was one before his demonic side became Mr. Hoppy.

The Nativity are part of the latter group. Born of a speck of the Void entering an unfortunate woman at a dark time, usually inflicted through the actions of another (surviving a serial killer attack, killing an abuser in self-defense), whatever Paradox Law that allows for the existence of a dark twist on a virgin birth uses them as subtle and extremely dangerous weapons against reality. The Paradox-Born exude a field that makes superpowers extremely unpredictable and dangerous within a square mile of them, while they unconsciously influence their mothers to become jealously protective and paranoid for them. Worse, the Abyss that dwells within them in much like a coiled viper, waiting for just the right moment to strike, releasing a powerful entropic field that spins critical moments (the deciding goal of a soccer game, the final touches on a chair, a test on a hyperspace portal device) towards the utter failure, and those failures are usually spectacular (the soccer player overshoots his kick and ends up breaking an ankle, the carpenter drives a nail into the skin between his fingers, the portal explodes and teleports a bunch of confused and angry Thran to Earth).

And the worst part about this? Apparently, someone never informed the Abyss that the born harbinger of doom is supposed to be evil.

Quite simply, the Children of the Void, despite having a giant dark stain of general hostility towards all of existence as an integral part of their souls, are not actually psychologically different from naturally melancholy normal children, and in fact the aforementioned dark stain is almost as much as hazard to them as it is to everyone around them-the Nativity are naturally sickly and usually suffer from bouts of depression and low self-esteem. They are as much victims of the Abyss as the world they unknowingly doom by their very presence, and in fact actually have it worse-animals have an instinctual sense the Void within the Nativity and despise them for it, while they trip off every possible "supernatural sense" as something ancient, dark, and powerful, meaning that factions who seek to destroy or weaponize them follow them wherever they go. Naturally, many Nativity don't live very long, and those that do are usually embittered loners clinging to the edge of society...a position helped by the fact that a Paradox-Born's grow up with them, becoming unique, distinctive, and often quite frightening. While no adult Child of the Void is likely going to rock the boat when it comes to Power Levels, many are natural seers and their link to the Abyss gives a lot of them psychic powers...which, when combined with their normal entropic field, makes an adult Nativity a threatening enemy to have. There's nothing about being a Paradox-Born the prevents teaming up with others to take down a foe.

That said, it is possible to cure the Abyssal parts of a Nativity's soul...which is infinitely easier said than done. For one, the soul-taint of a Child of the Void are less mutations then they are portals-ie, holes. Thus, the problem with helping a Paradox-Born escape the cursed power of the Abyss is that it involves less metaphorical organ transplant and more grafting of organs utterly necessary to the functioning of the body into places that organs don't normally go, while attempting to prevent rejection. One idea is to simply fuse a soul, but besides bringing up the uncomfortable question of where the spare soul comes from, the process isn't pretty as two sets of memories clash and merge-the "cured" Nativity is invariably either schizophrenic or has multiple personalities. The other was is to preform a ritual that is simultaneously meant to heal the soul and bar the passage of the Abyss, permanently closing the holes of the soul-taint while creating new, healthy soul to fill in the gaps...which requires research and new materials every time, since like a fingerprint, every Nativity's soul is different, and that includes the taint. Trying to scrounge up the components isn't easy either, since both components of such a ritual involve ingredients like "a drop of fresh water from each of the world's ocean's" and "a thimble of blood, willingly given, by a truly innocent man". Still, for the sake of both the Paradox-Born and the world, it just might be worth it.
Leliel
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Kreuzritter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:30 am

anyway, I think that much like the breakout, The Invasion should get it's own major event summary
Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

PreviousNext

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Settings