Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

The Age of Wonders Universe

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.

Re: Infinite Dreams: Age of Wonders

Postby Phrozen » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Its Theme Music Time! (Since I haven't done one of these things for a long time)

The Revenant: The Reckoning by Iced Earth
Dark Sun: Forsaken by Dream Theater
El Grande: Kurt Angle's theme (you suck chants not included).
Adonis: You're so Vain by Carly Simon
Mister Arcane: Man on the Silver Mountain by Rainbow
Starblind: Starblind by Iron Maiden
The Anarchitect: Dream of Mirrors by Iron Maiden

(I think I revealed my sources now. :cry: )
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Charles Phipps » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:36 pm

Revengeance

The Octagon are a joke.

Except when they destroy your world.

The Octagon eventually misuse their powers in an alternate future of Earth-0 and result in the cataclysmic death of billions. Climate change, famine, plague, fascist police-states, death camps, starvation, dogs and cats living together, the works. The Octagon, just as before, evacuated the world to carry on their nasty business on another world. This time, however, the remains of Pendulum were ready for them.

They selected one superhero to go back in time using a cosmic-string theory device that allowed them to actually find the one universe in an infinite sea of them where the Octagon's activities could be prevented. It required virtually the entire energy output of their dying world but the opportunity was too good to miss. Revengeance believes that the few survivors of his planet died after this, which is probably accurate. It, however, only adds fuel to his quest.

Or her quest. It's not exactly clear.

Revengeance is a superhero of the 21st century but no one is sure which superhero he or she is. Revengeance's outfit with its iron mask, heavy cloak, and voice synthesizer is doing their very best to hide their identity. There's a practical reason for this. Due to the fact time-travel is actually altering the future this time, if his or her past identity is killed, Revengeance will disappear from the face of the Earth. They can't allow that until their mission against the Octagon is done.

This opens the opportunity for GMs to decide who Revengeance might be. It might even be a PC if you are so inclined.

Given the Octagon are a goofy but genuinely malevolent group of people, Revengeance's quest isn't necessarilly a bad thing. It's just the decade or so of living hell they endured before time travel has kinda-sorta driven them insane. Revengeance is quite rationale, really, it's just it's the sort of rationality that has difficulty explaining why they leap out into the middle of a shopping mall to stab a seventeen year old in the neck. Explaining said person was eventually joining to open a death camp is unlikely to fly. Because while the Octagon are Revengeance's primary target, they're far from the killer's only one.

Collaborators, war criminals, future supervillains, and so on form a vertible Santa's clause list of naughty or nice. Revengeance is believed to be nothing more than a superpowered serial killer at present, especially given some of the particularly nasty ways they've disposed of their victims. The relatively minor member of the Octagon known as the Tick Tock Terror was clubbed over the head before being fed to carnivorous rats.

Revengeance is an amazingly skilled assassin, having been purified as a warrior in the dystopian future the Octagon create. Likewise, he's armed with all manner of amazing gadgets taken from other heroes. This incredible bag of tricks has surprised virtually every hero or villain who has encountered them, often seemingly appearing at random to thwart their capture. Quite a few people would love to have access to this bag of toys, especially those who suspect Revengeance comes from the future.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Phrozen » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Now I am wondering what would happen if Revenant and Revengeance stumble upon each others paths of destruction. Enemies? Allies? Obstacles?
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Charles Phipps » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:20 pm

Phrozen wrote:Now I am wondering what would happen if Revenant and Revengeance stumble upon each others paths of destruction. Enemies? Allies? Obstacles?

Heck, one could be the other. I imagine them getting in each other's way if they're targeting the same person.

Allies if the impossible happens and they realize they're both after the same person.

Which could be good or bad for any PCs caught between them.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Phrozen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:12 pm

Dr. Xenograft

Dr. David Albrecht was an accomplished plastic surgeon and anti aging doctor. He still is a great surgeon but stepping into his ramshackle clinic is a recipe for pain and madness. Dr. Xenograft has several Nexus powers: he can summon limbs and flesh from an unknown dimension, he can cause others to grow extra organs and limbs, with his touch he can put a person to sleep and his touch also seems to cause the body to not reject transplanted organs and limbs, even if said organs aren't human. Dr. Albrecht would be one of the greatest healers on Earth if he wasn't completely mad.

It seems that when Dr. Albrecht got his powers, he glimpsed another world. It is unknown what exactly was in that other world but it seemed to drive a maniac obsession within Dr. Albrecht. Some in Pendulum believe that he was visited by an Aion, though none of his creations fit with known Aions. He soon abandoned his practice and kidnapped his secretary whom he turned into his first creation, the lovely but deadly Malady. From there the two began kidnapping the homeless and experimenting on them. Some became bloated and tortured "organ banks" others were turned into "homo immortalis" who run the gamut from so perfect they drive right into the uncanny valley to unrecognizable creatures of flesh and limbs. Some even have small scale powers of some sort. All of the changed person have a slavish devotion to the newly nicknamed Dr. Xenograft. Dr. Xenografts goals seems to be to make the "ultimate human", "enslave death", and "perfect the flesh".

It is not just others whom Dr. Xenograft has changed. To help himself preform his grafts and transplants he has given himself another set of arms, replaced one eye with one that can see in infrared, and replaced the joints in his wrists and fingers to be able to bend backwards 180s degrees. So far Dr. Xenograft's operations have been interrupted by Momentum & Shimmer as well as The Order. Pendulum has studied the creatures that Dr. Xenograft has created and found parts from different humans, animals, and beings that haven't been discovered yet. More disturbingly, Dr. Xenograft seems to be getting a following from youth obsessed persons and even medical professionals.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Libra » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:22 pm

You creative types have been MAGNIFICENT - please allow me the emphasis, it's a fair and accurate reflection of how I feel - and your most recent posts might well be even better than that!

By the way Charles, I almost forgot to reply to your blog post on the 29th; Best of luck to you in your writing (and in everything else - I trust that your household is doing well and send my best wishes to Mrs. Phipps as well).

The Octagon are a joke.

If they are then it's one that tends to produce dead babies with every punchline; for all that their pretentions are either extremely annoying or amusing in a slightly creepy fashion, members of the Octagon have more experience as superhumans than virtually anyone on Earth-0, the survival instincts of pirates who die old and the survivability of cockroaches - it's one thing to have a laugh with your team-mates over their weirdness AFTER you've beaten them, but not before.

Give them an inch of respite before then and they'll take advantage of it to blow you sky-high.

The relatively minor member of the Octagon known as the Tick-Tock Terror was clubbed over the head before being fed to carnivorous rats.

While this IS a fairly extreme fate to mete out on an extremely minor associate of the Octagon, whose greatest contribution to Supervillainy to date had been keeping the paperwork straight (spontaneously generating most of it single-handed) and ensuring that villains actually stuck to their timetables (when a villain arranged a showdown at high noon The Terror ensured that they showed up at 11.55AM), it should be noted that you'd be amazed how dangerous supervillains can become when they actually listen to their one-and-only efficiency expert.

Tick-Tock had in fact been one of the most important minor factors contributing to the organization which permitted the Octagon to savage their Homeworld and make a successful escape even after the local Capes struck back (yes, they actually wore honest-to-El capes with their costumes on Earth-1986 and to a considerable degree still do); he was less involved in the Octagon's domination of the Earth they actually managed to conquer (being happy to leave behind the underworld he'd been thrust into and resume his first profession somewhere he didn't have a supercriminal record) and The Professor is smart enough to suspect that's a significant reason the whole business went to pot as swiftly as it did, although he declines to mention this in public.

Given hints thrown at authority figures taking issue with her vendetta by The Revenegeance, it seems likely that had he lived The Terror would have once again made the trains run on time for the Octagon and thereby done more than one might expect to make life difficult for the do-gooders of the World.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:07 pm

So when facing the Octagon, don't underestimate them but make sure they underestimate you?

Also, Mr. King VS Murdermaster, a draw, but one hell of a draw?
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Libra » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:12 pm

It all depends on how well their players roll the dice. :wink:

So when facing the Octagon, don't underestimate them but make sure they underestimate you?

That would seem sensible - occasionally ludicrous they may be, but they aren't STUPID per se, just limitlessly self-centred and/or sociopathic in their disdain for the rest of Humanity; the ones with some pretentions towards common humanity (or at least their own bizarre take on morality) tried to pull off an internal coup once the Octagon had settled onto their discretely conquered Earth but lost and lost badly.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Phrozen » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:01 pm

I have had a new idea and will be returning to Dr. Xenograft in some time (too generic?). The next person in Momentum & Shimmers budding Rogue's Gallery will be

Atomic Punk (thank you Van Halen) whom I will most likely be writing up during MNF.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:03 pm

Phrozen wrote:I have had a new idea and will be returning to Dr. Xenograft in some time (too generic?). The next person in Momentum & Shimmers budding Rogue's Gallery will be

Atomic Punk (thank you Van Halen) whom I will most likely be writing up during MNF.

I loved Doctor Xenograft.

Sorry I've been absent for a bit.

Lots of stuff including new puppy.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Phrozen » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:07 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:
Phrozen wrote:I have had a new idea and will be returning to Dr. Xenograft in some time (too generic?). The next person in Momentum & Shimmers budding Rogue's Gallery will be

I loved Doctor Xenograft.

Sorry I've been absent for a bit.

Lots of stuff including new puppy.

I understand. Puppies are fun.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Phrozen » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Atomic Punk

Brian Schwartz is the leader of the Los Angeles chapter of the Hammerskins but is better known by his nome de guerre Atomic Punk. Even before the gaining of his Nexus powers Brian was full of hate and violence. Even among his fellow Neo-Nazi's Brian is seen as extreme in his views lumping in white non-Protestants and even white non-Northern Europeans as lesser races. To Brian, if you didn't speak or your ancestors didn't speak a Germanic language then you are to be exterminated or meant as slaves.

Brian was also no stranger to violence. His late teens and early twenties were spent in and out of prison for assault and vandalism targeting minorities or anybody that Brian just didn't like the look of. Prison only made him tougher and seemed to inflame his racial hatred even more. In prison Brian joined the Aryan Brotherhood but by the end of his stint the group was discussing how to kill Brian as he was making trouble with their loose allies in other prison gangs.

Brian discovered his Nexus powers about two years after the Nexus event. Unfortunately for almost everybody around him Brian's power is the generation and manipulation of radiation. For almost anyone these would be dangerous powers. For someone with a completely irrational hatred of almost anybody else on the planet these powers are extremely deadly. He soon took control of his chapter of the Hammerskins through sheer power rather than brains. This chapter became the most violent of any chapters in the region under Brian's guidance despite their numbers compared to other gangs. Brian soon began to use his powers to cause mayhem and commit murder, the normal police weren't able to stop him. He was eventually defeated by Momentum & Shimmer but has broken out many times. Though they are both villains Atomic Punk and King Frost are opposed to each other and will fight if they are in the same area.

Though powerful, Brian is not very smart and gives in to his violent impulses frequently rather then plan a bigger attack. Brian wants to see the future world as a nuclear blasted hell hole where the superior race of which he believes he is part of can rebuild. Though he is nowhere near smart enough to convince others to nuke each other, with his power he may be able to make it possible with some direction as he isn't nearly smart enough by himself to think of such a plan. Atomic Punk dresses in typical Neo Nazi skinhead attire of tight blue jeans rolled up at the ankle, combat boots, a white power t shirt with green suspenders. He usually wears a bomber jacket with a green radiation symbol with a swastika in the center. His one identifying feature that he has regardless of attire is that his veins and arteries glow faintly neon green.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:34 pm

I could see him teaming up with Plague.

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Phrozen » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:49 pm

They would make a horrifying pairing though probably not for too long. Once Billy murders some white girl for not being a virgin, that will probably be the end of their partnership.

To put it this way. Plague imagines the apocalypse just wiping out everybody who isn't 'of the proper religion' in his mind. Atomic Punk wants the apocalypse coming with radioactive fire so that the strong genes survive and get stronger while the weak die. Atomic Punk believes that Northern Europeans are genetically superior.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:02 pm

Phrozen wrote:They would make a horrifying pairing though probably not for too long. Once Billy murders some white girl for not being a virgin, that will probably be the end of their partnership.

To put it this way. Plague imagines the apocalypse just wiping out everybody who isn't 'of the proper religion' in his mind. Atomic Punk wants the apocalypse coming with radioactive fire so that the strong genes survive and get stronger while the weak die. Atomic Punk believes that Northern Europeans are genetically superior.

So let's hope they end up killing each other. :twisted:

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

PreviousNext

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Settings