Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

The Age of Wonders Universe

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League, M&M Line Developer

Re: Infinite Dreams: Age of Wonders

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:00 pm

You know now that I think about it, why do I see Screen King being the Ed Wood to Byron's Lugosi?
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Voltron64 wrote:You know now that I think about it, why do I see Screen King being the Ed Wood to Byron's Lugosi?

Great, now I can't unsee it!

:mrgreen:
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:20 pm

Ah well, there are reasons God ordained that DVDs could be overwritten and channels changed - this little collaboration would seem to top the list! 8)
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby greycrusader » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:24 pm

I offer my congratulations to Libra for making ersatzes of the Wanted villains (who were mostly captain carbon-copies themselves) palatable to me. The series, the protagonist, the sidekick, and all the secondary characters were just repellent to borderline disgusting.

Strangely, I have liked the Crime Syndicators in all their incarnations, even the more "adult" Modern-Age versions of the super-villain team which first debuted in the Morisson Earth-Two hardcover. Even the psychopathic, unstable Ultraman, dominatrix Superwoman, and speed-juice junkie Johnny Quick seemed to have some grandeur, a sense they might actually defend their own world when called upon, if only to exploit it for themselves, even a twisted camraderie.

The Wanted bunch just seemed like deviant creeps.

All my best.

BTW: I just watched Cabin in the Woods and have the glimmer of an idea for the new setting; the other I've been toying with involves a sort of "Ultimatized" version of some of my characters, and I didn't want that to be my first contribution.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...
greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

In Defence of Mark Millar

Postby Libra » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:52 pm

I offer my congratulations to Libra for making ersatzes of the Wanted villains (who were mostly captain carbon-copies themselves) palatable to me.

Thank you very kindly for the compliments, Grey Crusader, and please allow me to say that I'm glad to see that I can still produce a pastiche with the best of them - although I hope that my take on the Octagon isn't entirely derivative of WANTED, since I intended to add some Marvel homages to the mix (something Mark Miller curiously declined to incorporate into the tale when it stopped being a Legion of Doom elseworld).

The series, the protagonist, the sidekick, and all the secondary characters were just repellent to borderline disgusting.

The Wanted bunch just seemed like deviant creeps.

If I might speak in defence of my fellow Scot Mr. Mark Millar (and if I may be permitted to go on at some small length concerning his work in general, as opposed to WANTED in particular), I would suggest that this is precisely the point; one feels that Mr Millar was seeking to convey just how much a World run by Supervillains would SUCK and remind the reader just how nasty an individual full-blown supervillains tend to be (at the same time as he shows why someone might actually find the profession an improvement on their life to date and how they might enter it, an inherent contradiction somewhat difficult to reconcile at the best of times).

However I will not disagree with you that the WANTED antagonists and protagonist are extremely reprehensible individuals, even by the standards of Supervillains - but this seems very much of a piece with Millar's work before or since and there's a pair of very reasonable explanations why this should be the case, perhaps even a plausible justification for the frequent inclusion of somewhat off-colour elements in his creator-owned works (although it should be noted that his use of established properties tends to be much less objectionable; read the fruits of his work with Superman over the years, such as Red Son, and I trust that you will agree with me):-

- First and simplest, I believe that Mr. Millar dislikes seeing fictional villains glorified for their more colourful qualities (such as a sartorial taste for leatherwork over fabric) and deliberately uses more sordid elements to deprive his villains of any excessive degree of 'Gangster Glamour' as a conscious choice by the author (in lieu of more subtle traits less easy to convey convincingly with brevity, which feeds into my second point).

- Secondly, I believe that the more distasteful elements of personality in WANTED are in a sense mandated by the limited time and space imposed by his choice to make it a miniseries/limited series, rather than an ongoing series in the longer term; given that he has limited time and space in which to tell his tale and introduce his original characters, make us see them as individuals distinct from the icons upon which they are based and include enough WOW! moments to make it worth our while to read about them (time and space further limited, I would note, by the necessity of focussing on Wesley Gibbon's character arc moving him from office drone to deadliest man known to the world of WANTED), it is perhaps unsurprising that Mr. Millar has chosen to make them as horrible as possible, in order to make them as memorable as possible (without being obliged to make making them too sympathetic, which feeds into my point above).

In all honesty I may be deceiving myself, but I suspect that Mr Millar's greatest problem as a writer lies in his preferrance for mini-or-limited series, which demands that he make as big an impact as possible while wasting as little space as possible and perforce obliges him to focus on making a BIG impression, rather than allowing him the luxury of time to ensure that this impression will be positive or negative.

Think about it; whatever else one may say about certain instances or characteristics of individuals in his work, one can seldom describe a tale told by Mr Millar as forgettable (however much one might wish to cast those aforesaid incidents and individuals from one's psyche).

I would also suggest that Mr. Millar tends to be somewhat at the mercy of a productive, yet eclectic imagination in the same fashion as Grant Morrison (perhaps not to the same degree or in quite the same style, yet I believe the similarity exists to be seen under scrutiny*) as well as a slightly perverse sense of humour all his own which frequently pops the odd element in under the radar of Good Taste and common sense (an affliction common to many, I fear but most evident in Mr. Millar because he tells stories for a living and tends to throw everything in his imagination into a story, in the same way a peacock will and must give his all to attract a hen away from his rivals).

Additionally note that a majority of Mr Morrison's work benefits from the luxury of forming part of the canon of DC, enriched by that canon while Mr. Millar is obliged to speak the final word on his characters on the final page of the story in which they debut.

Would the Crime Syndicate seems as grandiose if Mr. Kurt Busiek himself had not developed upon Mr Morrison's orginal story and developed the characters somewhat further?

In truth I will continue to defend Mr. Millar, partly due to the fact he has produced some very excellent work (search the web for his work on the Superman Adventures of comics affiliated with the animated series, then read Superior or Red Son in print, as Kirby intended comics to be read - I would argue that even his work with The Ultimates can be rather fun to read, if one looks at things the right way).

To an even greater degree, however, I will defend Mr. Millar for the same reason I can take an interest in movies one can most accurately term noble or basically-entertaining failures: quite simply there is nothing better than an imperfectly-executed High Concept to fire the imagination (not to mention tantalise a writer with the prospect of doing the job BETTER than the original). To put it in simple terms, why remake a good comic book/movie/tv show when there are a hundred bad comic books/movies/tv shows based on good ideas which you can get your hands on more cheaply and (hopefully) improve on to the sound of general acclaim, rather than public derision?

From this perspective, Mr. Millar is perhaps the finest muse working in comics today (just look at the films which have been based upon his works and see proof) for the very simple reason that he has a fine nose for a High Concept yet seldom quite manages to employ these concepts to perfection:-

-WANTED, for instance, would work far better as an ongoing than as a limited series since the luxury of more space and greater time in which to tell the tale allows one to (a) Add breadth and depth to the characters without being obliged to manifest wickedness in blatant (i.e. crude and nasty) fashion (b) take advantage of this longform tale-telling to develop some of the possibilities* which Mr. Millar was obliged to neglect as a result of the dedication to telling the tale at hand which is such a strength in his writing and indeed (c) show that the direputable career of Wesley Gibbons is merely a part of a greater arc, in a sense acting as the compressed New Hope Trilogy to the untold 'Revenge of the Supervillains'.

- Nemesis would appear to suffer from the fact that Mr. Millar added too much of The Joker to the titular antagonist, declining to give him concrete motivations beyond "because I WANT to"; in my opinion the story would have been stronger if he'd stuck with the idea of the villain specifically revenging himself on the tales' Hero, as well as tending to sacrifice dramatic intensity for black humour by, most notably, over-egging the pudding with a booby-trapped womb rigged with incest babies - when simply presenting a devout catholic with the dilemma of a daughter pregnant with children from an unknown father and the conflict likely to ensue would have made Our Heroes' life hard enough.

I would also suggest that modelling Nemesis on Prometheus, rather than Batman, would have made the central conflict a bit more plausible to the reading public; conditioned to believe that Batman is invincible as they are, it is easier to swallow the idea that Jim Gordon's spiritual scion could take a man who relies on artificial enchancements in a straight fight (It also allows one to pull the old "I swapped out your Bruce Lee mix ... and substituted Stephen Hawking" ploy to the benefit of the plot, one hopes).

- I suspect that you can all think of further improvements one can make to certain of the works from the mind of Mr. Millar, so I'll conclude my defence of his work here and hope that any readers will judge him a little more kindly as a result.

*How was the villainous Fraternity formed, organised, led to victory over it's peers and opposite numbers? what thought went into the design of the maimed new world they would rule? how did they maintain themselves for an extended period of time against the complexities of a superhero universe like origin stories and alternate earths? how did they stave off internal division? what happens to supervillains when they have no heroes against which to measure themselves and fall short? (or stave off boredom), whatever happened to those villains who, absent superheroes, might seek to become vigilantes in their own right? How did The Killer (I) and Fox survive defecting from Rictus' faction? All these stories and more could be told, might very well DESERVE to be told.

After all, can you think of a better universe in which to tell 'The Sopranos with Supervillains' than a suitably-amended version of WANTED?
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:38 pm

What about Kick-Ass, Libra?

(Excellent post by the way.)

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Note: This is a big soldification of a lot of the stuff here. If anyone has any objections, please tell me.

Age of Wonders Timeline

2008 - The Large Hadron Particle Collider does a test on the newly discovered Nexus particle (by Doctor Guy Rouse) on September 10th. N-Day has drastic consequences for the world, most of which required several months to fully manifest.

Immediately, strange events started occurring from spontaneous combustion to zombie plagues. Within a week, superpowers had appeared around the globe. Super Dragonpunch Zero, Momentum, and Adonis debut simultaneously during this time during the Second LA Riots. They are followed by many other 'superheroes' who fascinate the public.

A state of national emergency lasting two weeks was declared virtually everywhere there were governments. Many countries collapsed, others merged, and new ones were created.

The President of the United States and numerous other government leaders meet with to create the Treaty of Powers Act after a month. This act gave broad sweeping powers to numerous government agencies in order to deal with the superhuman problem.

UNITED is formed.

2009 - The Nexus Particle is a fully recognized consequence of the Collider. The device is taken into custody by UNITED and later used to build a primitive Nexus Gate.

Legendary arrives in January, bringing news of alternate realities. Later that week, she Legendary wins public adoration by saving the Prime Minister of the UK from a group of giant monsters.

Fade uncovers the invasion of the One-Above-All which started with UNITED. Adonis begins his superhero career and wins a great deal of attention across the globe.

The Organization begins in Malaysia and steadily spreads across the planet, acting very bizarre as it does so.

2010 - The Anarchitect is revealed to be behind many of the revolutions occurring globally, declaring an end to the tyranny of the rich and corrupt. While vilified by all global governments, the masses come to view him as a messianic figure.

The Black Wolf PMC and Fade successfully destroy UNITED's corrupt leadership and reveal its subversion to the world. Fade is given the medal of honor and partnered with Legendary. Black Wolf is made a special black ops team for the UN Security Council. UNITED is allowed to continue on but at a drastically reduced power-level.

The European Union responds by creating its own anti-Nexus task-force called ARROW while the United States and Canada creates Pendulum. Later, Pendulum is recognized by all nations of the world as the premiere authority on the superhuman. Branch offices are opened everywhere. This is widely believed to be the result of the Anarchitect's manipulations.

The Prime Minister of Russia is replaced by a shape-shifter working for the Organization. Much of the Russian mafia is devastated in the attack while new draconian laws are introduced. Pendulum agents reveal the ruse and are acclaimed as national heroes.

The Order is formed by Mister King with the covert help of the Anarchitect.

Mister Arcane debuts, defeating the Hellmaster and stopping a series of brutal cult murders across the Southwest USA. He's soon recruited into the order.

The cartels in Mexico are devastated by the Ascendant and the Order. The survivors are forced into the organization or underground as the Mexican government develops a very favorable attitude towards superhumans. The Organization takes their place, keeping a significantly lower profile.

Adonis is exposed as as a sociopath by the LA Times.

2011 - UNITED and ARROW nearly end up dropping the ball during a conference on Nexus affairs when their confrontation leads The New Empire of North Korean Nexi to almost wipe out the group. Little do they know this is masterminded by Revered Elder Sung who is already plotting to collapse the world's governments for ease of conquest.

Doctor Rouse discovers the method for visiting other worlds without Legendary's technology and creates the first stable portals and viewers. Before, Nexus travel was extremely hazardous and random.

The Explorers of Wonder is the cheesy title given to the insane almost-Pulpish group of cosmonauts selected from the world's best to visit these new worlds. The Multinational Administration for Nexus, Time, and Interdimensional Science (M.A.N.T.I.S) is created.

The first Aeons are found by Momentum and Shimmer.

Gilgamesh appears, declaring himself protector of the Middle East much to the Saudi Royal Family's annoyance.

The Archangel creates a "rapture" for numerous small groups of followers which kill hundreds. Mister Arcane destroys his avatar and claim he's a fallen angel. The apocalyptic battle, which is visible all across Nevada, results in many finding religion.

Doctor Rouse, under secret orders from Pendulum, sends the Order and all of Earth's heroes to Earth-17 in order to overthrow the Emperor. Only a few know and they successfully do so, leading to a collapse of that world's government and civil war.

Revered Elder Sung proceeds to step up his plans and covertly takes over much of Burma. He begins constructing secret bases across the world.

Earth-1023 is destroyed, the Titans shifting their attention to Earth-0.

2012 - Legendary's sister Gwenfyrr arrives on Earth-0 to wed Fade as part of an insane Pendulum-sponsored plan to create a peace treaty between the two worlds. Gwenfyrr is actually here to investigate Earth-0's ties to the Nexus. During the wedding ceremony, Gwenfyrr's devices accidentally summon Morgana Le Fey and nearly get them all killed.

Pendulum is formally given authority over both ARROW and United. It wins its stripes by preventing a planet from being destroyed by a comet and by saving the planet from a super-flu created by Plague.

The Celestial Commerce Guild contacts the planet Earth and makes a deal with Pendulum to allow limited free-market trade.

AIDS is cured by King Panda in exchange for the recipe for Oreos.

Revered Elder Sung personally kills China's entire superhero team, the People's Guardians and kills thousands of Chinese citizens in a series of bombings meant to undermine confidence in their government. China responds unexpectedly by relaxing restrictions on Nexi in hopes of developing heroes to go kick his ass.

The Jade General appears soon after, leading to great civil unrest.

The Octagon arrives on planet Earth, finding it already occupied by numerous heroes and villains. Their first attempt to conquer it involves unleashing the Daemonites onto the planet. While the Daemonites are stopped from absorbing the Earth, 666 of them escape to cause mischief.

The Ashwood Center has a mass breakout of superpowered sociopaths. The Esoterrics work to track them down.Mister Arcane creates the Esoterrics to hunt them down.

Shiva Corp is created in America by Indian Americans who create the world's first cybernetics enhancements firm, having gained the Supreme Court decision to sell such enhancements publicly.

The Divine Leader hosts a FIGHTING TOURNAMENT of all things with the assistance of the UFFC. This is actually a secret plot to lure Nexi to the island so they can be killed or converted. Of all people, Super Dragon Punch Zero wins the tournament and kills the Divine Leader. The Octagon resurrect the Divine Leader soon after, failing to recruit him.

Nightblind's cult gains autonomous state-status in the Yucatan.

2013 - MANTIS encounter a Sovi-Empire slave-world who immediately massacres one of their teams and proceeds to send a task-force to declare Earth-0 a slave-state of the Over-Father.

Mantis responds by nuking the Sovi-Empire's orbital battle-station before organizing a slave revolt.

Gilgamesh is killed by Night Stalker, the hero's body left crucified on Calgary Hill in an act of deliberate blasphemy. This is the first time Night Stalker has killed a super hero.

Warmonger and Lady Scorpion join the Organization, drastically increasing its efficiency.

The existence of ghosts are confirmed as well as Daemonites to the public.

The Ascendant's cult grows exponentially with off-shoots starting to appear worldwide.

The Bluejay debuts, trying to recruit new heroes too oppose the Order's antiheroism. One of his earliest missions involves taking down the Five Psychos with The Big Answer. He eventually forms the Blue Centurions.

The United Asian Prosperity Sphere seizes control over much of North Korea, committing genocide on the native population and filling itself with immigrants from Revered Elder Sung's world. The Chinese government invades and manages to rescue half the population.

Victor Vanquish debuts, preventing the destruction of Earth by Lovecraft.

The UAPS also launches an attack against the United States with super-villain type weapons but is defeated in three days. Both the USA and Chinese government are presently debating how to deal with the new nation. Many superheroes team up to inflict devastating damage on the badly outmatched invasion force.

East Panya is created after months of maneuvering by the Organization. It is not the only puppet state the Order has created.

China invades Tajikistan and seizes control of the country from the Brotherhood of Enlightenment, the Brotherhood surviving by becoming the Chinese government's stop gap Superhuman Force.

Project: Firebird is created by the Russian Federation to deal with the gap in superhuman powers.

Legendary and Fade join the Order despite their reservations. Almost instantly, they're forced into a diplomatic incident where they overthrow the government of East Panya. The Order resolves this by becoming the new government.

Omnicide moves to Mercy Island directly, starting the process where the Titans can manifest physically.
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:20 am, edited 14 times in total.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Noticing that it seems Mexico is a hotspot for major super heroic events.
Last edited by Voltron64 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Phrozen » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Momentum didn't expose Adonis, the LA Times did. Also, Adonis wasn't a fraud, he was a jack*** controlling sociopath.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:48 pm

Phrozen wrote:Momentum didn't expose Adonis, the LA Times did. Also, Adonis wasn't a fraud, he was a jack*** controlling sociopath.

I think that qualifies as a fraud when you're a superhero. :mrgreen:
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Phrozen » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Seth O'Reilly & Jackson Deveruex

When a new world with intelligent life is found by MANTIS oftentimes the first humans sent out to contact that world. The heads of MANTIS put out several conditions for what would constitute a good personality for first contact. The person had to be charming and charismatic, adapt quickly to changing conditions on the fly, be an expert in reading body language, be able to bluff and lie convincingly, and be able to sell their intentions to a diverse audience. The persons would also needs experience doing all those things. MANTIS searched through diplomatic agents, corporate salesperson, special forces, and professional gamblers but nobody fit the exact profile. The search was handed over to Benton Fraizer for his professional opinion. Dr. Fraizer's answer came an hour later much to the shock of the heads of MANTIS. Dr. Fraizer simply stated that MANTIS was looking for a con man, specifically the best con man Dr. Frazier studied a Seth O'Reilly.

Seth O'Reilly was born in Cork, Ireland and had the gift of gab. Not one to ever put in hard work if he could use his silver tongue to get out of it, Seth so found himself in the con game which he took to extremely well. Seth has infiltrated such places as the locker room of the World Cup winners, Royal Weddings, high society parties, meetings of parliament, and even managed to talk his way out of prison three days after he was arrested. Despite the non-violent nature of his crimes he is classified as a Category B prisoner in Ireland due to the fact if he ever managed to escape, the authorities would doubt that he would ever be found again.

MANTIS was able to secure O'Reilly's release from an Irish Gaol and brought him to Switzerland to train the man picked for the actual job of first contact: Jackson Deveruex, a young Australian diplomat who MANTIS hoped could learn from O'Reilly. MANTIS soon found that Deveruex preformed much better with O'Reilly than alone.

The two compliment each other very well. The Afro-Australian Deveruex is formal and somewhat uptight but does excellent research, background information, and has a great ability to determine cultural mores from observation. Deveruex also plays devils advocate to O'Reillys plays. O'Reilly is more street smart and has an intuitive grasp on how people react to the words he says but is not nearly as formal. Both are highly intelligent and natural social manipulators.

The adventures and stories and cons the two have pulled off have been regarded as to fantastical to be fiction. One MANTIS researcher asked if the two were doing actual diplomacy or were just out to con the multiverse. The two have convinced a race of telepaths that O'Reilly is an even better telepath than they are, convinced Desolate, Emperor of the Wasted Universe that a simple pen held enough antimatter to blow his while planet to pieces, Were knighted for kidnapping then returning Princess Celeste to Avalon 15, sold ice to the residents of Cryovik 5 which is completely covered in ice, gave the notion to the vampire residents of Dusk 455 that human blood is highly poisonous to them, and other such blatant lies. So far these things haven't come back to bite the pair or Earth yet.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Charles Phipps » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:04 am

Plague

There are many fine, upstanding, pleasant Christians in the world. Plague is not one. In fact, he's pretty much a rolled up ball of bigoted religious beliefs taken to their illogical extreme. Sadly, he's powerful enough that he's monstrous as opposed to pathetic. William "Billy" Wurtz was born in a cult compound in Texas, raised on a diet of apocalyptic views, and taught to hate all sinners.

To list who qualified as sinners can be summarized as 'everyone who wasn't part of the cult' with special attention given to the usual groups (Catholics, gays, Mormons, Jews, blacks, and so on). Plague was unlike other boys in the compound in that he wasn't really all that keen to wait for Jesus to return in order to start the world cleansing.

In fact, when the police came looking for him when he killed no less than twelve people, the cult was actually debating whether or not to turn him over despite this being the antithesis of their beliefs. Thankfully, for Billy, the Hand of God interceded or something which even a reasonable man might confuse for it.

The Archangel incinerated the entirety of Billy's cult before killing the police in various Biblical ways. It was likely going to do the same to Billy when the boy begged for a chance to serve God, most likely attracting the being's attention by elaborately detailing the kind of murders he wanted to perform. So the Archangel proceeded to make Plague the first of his Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Given the Book of Revelations is completely obtuse on who the riders would be with some believing that Conquest represents Jesus and others the Devil, you'd think there would be some question about Billy's ascension. Billy, however, is dirt stupid in many ways and doesn't care to debate theology.

The Archangel took Billy's 100 odd pounds of sickly inbred self (it not taking too much muscle to kill unarmed people with a rifle) and turned him into a massive 300+ pound Image comics muscle-bound freak. Then he placed a skull-mask on the boy's face, burning it into place. Sadly, Billy doesn't play video games or you might be able to get a chuckle or two out of his resemblance to Dark Soul's death.

Under normal circumstances, Billy is an Intelligence 10, Wisdom 8 mass murderer who wanders around the country on his "Angel Cycle" using his "Death Touch" on sinners. He generally sticks to the backwoods and rural areas since cities, ironically, scare him. He's nigh indestructible, has a massive sickle on a chain that can tear through anything, and is super-strong in addition to having the ability to spread horrifying disease at will.

Billy can raise the people he's killed as zombies, unaware that's not an ability of the Horsemen in the Bible (at least anywhere I know of). Really, it's sort of a blessing Billy cases his targets (even though he ALWAYS finds them "wanting" unless they're virginal white fundamentalist Christian women) because that lowers his body count.

Billy can be killed and has been in the past but his mask serves as a phylactery, turning people who handle it of low will into the NEW Plague with Billy's soul. In short, he's the Jason Voorhees of supernaturals. He DOES have a weakness, though, as destroying the mask will send Billy off to whatever dimension souls go to. It's enough to make one want to believe in Hell.

Disturbingly, the Archangel occasionally appears to Billy in visions and raises his Intelligence and Wisdom to 18. This is when Billy starts doing plans of a more supervillain-ish bent. The Archangel wants Billy to cause the world to believe solely in HIM and for that, Billy has come up with some truly HORRIFYING plans. Pendulum considers Plague to be a "Most Wanted" threat and is actively researching a way to kill him forever.
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:31 am

I am imagining Seth and Jackson as the stars of a Firefly-esque program with a supporting cast of a half-dozen people gathered from alternate worlds.

Taking a break from castle, I am imagining Nathan Fillon is one of them.

Perhaps dressed like this.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_la714 ... o1_500.jpg

MANTIS may question their rather spotty relationship to diplomacy and discovery but the team's adventures certainly are ENTERTAINING!

(I also imagine they're sort of a "point" team where they have almost limitless freedom in the field and mostly just send back field-reports for people to visit the newly discovered worlds and deal with their messes - somehow all the other MANTIS teams mostly find desolate rocks or primitive tribesmen)
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Voltron64 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:14 am

I wonder what would happen if Archangel simply decided to go and tell the truth about everything to Plague? :twisted:

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Phrozen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:59 am

Charles Phipps wrote:I am imagining Seth and Jackson as the stars of a Firefly-esque program with a supporting cast of a half-dozen people gathered from alternate worlds.

Taking a break from castle, I am imagining Nathan Fillon is one of them.

Perhaps dressed like this.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_la714 ... o1_500.jpg

MANTIS may question their rather spotty relationship to diplomacy and discovery but the team's adventures certainly are ENTERTAINING!

(I also imagine they're sort of a "point" team where they have almost limitless freedom in the field and mostly just send back field-reports for people to visit the newly discovered worlds and deal with their messes - somehow all the other MANTIS teams mostly find desolate rocks or primitive tribesmen)

Their adventures are not published. MANTIS doesn't want it well known that they are sending a convicted criminal on the point team but they do have almost limitless freedom as long as they can prevent hostile intentions towards Earth or try to hid where they are actually from if that is impossible. Yes, this means that they lie and con almost all the time and quite blatantly, so far it has worked. Perhaps, because the leadership of said planets don't believe they can be coned or don't believe that another government would do that to them.

Though O'Reilly and Deveruex did not make contact with Revered Elder Sung's homeworld. Legendary finds their antics distasteful and not proper diplomacy. Even MANTIS is not so sure that O'Reilly and now Deveruex aren't trying to con them out of something at this point considering their fantastical reports that they write for first contacts.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

PreviousNext

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Settings