Creat object and equipment?

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Cosmic Joe
Bystander
Bystander

Creat object and equipment?

Postby Cosmic Joe » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:54 pm

For a character with object creation powers and the precise extra what would you think a fair rank to EQ point trade off would be? I was thinking each rank equals 1 advantage rank of equipment.

So 4 ranks creat object = 20 equipment points. Should there also be a concern of mass rank involved?

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Creat object and equipment?

Postby Beleriphon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:55 pm

Cosmic Joe wrote:For a character with object creation powers and the precise extra what would you think a fair rank to EQ point trade off would be? I was thinking each rank equals 1 advantage rank of equipment.

So 4 ranks creat object = 20 equipment points. Should there also be a concern of mass rank involved?

I'd say yes on the mass rank, but no overall. Create, even with precise, only allows the creation of "solid" objects. You can make the objects look super detailed with precise rather than relatively simple geometric shapes. For example with precise create you make detailed statues of people rather vaguely masculine or feminine shapes.

Cosmic Joe
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Cosmic Joe » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:06 am

Then, how would you make a character like GL or Darkness that have been shown to creat complex and functional devises? I know descriptor can be part of it for attack, however a GL has been shown to creat scanning devises, radio equipment and even medical equipment. This including an IV.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:26 am

In general? Variable. They don't so much create an actual object as that they temporarily summon a construct that has the same effect. Scanning Devices are Senses. Radio equipment is a combination of Communication and Senses. Medical Equipment is generally more a matter of the power granting the Improvised Tools advantage, at a 2 rank no-penalty-for-no-tools version if your GM allows it.

If you want to be able to hand things off to people, there was a suggested +1 Extra in 2E for the same thing (with a corresponding -1 Flaw that kept you from dissolving the object and reusing the points if you weren't holding it), essentially Affects Others.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:18 am

Cosmic Joe wrote:Then, how would you make a character like GL or Darkness that have been shown to creat complex and functional devises? I know descriptor can be part of it for attack, however a GL has been shown to creat scanning devises, radio equipment and even medical equipment. This including an IV.

If you look at the GL build its not based on create. M&M 3E is an effect based game. Step one is to figure out what the effect is you are trying to make. So for instance if you can create a laser blaster out of thin air that's not create, it's Blast. If you can make a communication device, that's communicate.

the ability to create it out of nothing is just your descriptor, or flavour text.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Return to “DC Adventures”