Interface from Mecha and Manga

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
ronyon
Partisan
Partisan

Interface from Mecha and Manga

Postby ronyon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:49 pm

INTERFACE
You make tools an extension of your body and your will. Choose a skill that
requires tools when you acquire this feat (this includes Drive and Pilot,
which use vehicles as “tools,” as well as Computers). You gain a +4 bonus
to the skill check if you use tools to perform it, not limited by the setting’s
power level. This bonus stacks with any other bonus gained from using
superior tools, but it does not apply if you do not use tools (such as with the
Improvised Tools feat or the Datalink power). Each additional rank allows
you to apply this effect to a different skill.

Can this be ported in without a problem?
I am thinking not, if only because there seems to be nothing like it listed under Advantages in DCA.
The Advantages that affect skills seems to only eliminate penalties, and they don't seem to bust caps.
I think a doubly Limited Variable might do the trick.Limiting to skills only is already a legit Flaw in most settings, Limiting to tool using Skills should count as another.

CENTINULL
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Interface from Mecha and Manga

Postby CENTINULL » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:42 pm

My only issue with it would be it "not limited by the setting’s power level", since everything in 3E is limited by the settings power level.

The problem would be combat skills.

I would not let a player "interface" with a high tech gun to circumvent the Power Level cap.

Otherwise you open up a world with some powergaming PL10 troll with a Damage 20 weapon interfaced for a +20 to hit

Tholomyes
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Tholomyes » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:57 pm

CENTINULL wrote:My only issue with it would be it "not limited by the setting’s power level", since everything in 3E is limited by the settings power level.

The problem would be combat skills.

I would not let a player "interface" with a high tech gun to circumvent the Power Level cap.

Otherwise you open up a world with some powergaming PL10 troll with a Damage 20 weapon interfaced for a +20 to hit
I disagree with the interpretation on this. First of all, many feat-based bonuses are designated circumstance bonuses, which aren't limited by PL. Secondly, Combat skills are not skills which require tools, so they wouldn't count.

Although the thing that I might do to alter it is to reduce the bonus to a +2, then allow a second rank at a +5, since a) this fits better with 3e's existing advantages, b) the consolidation of skills means a +4 bonus in 2e is closer to a +2 bonus in 3e, and b) since only two (or possibly 3, you could argue; Technology, Vehicles and half of Investigation) skills require tools, rather than having a second rank apply to a second skill, having it apply a higher bonus to the skill at hand seems more beneficial.

CENTINULL
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby CENTINULL » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Tholomyes wrote: Secondly, Combat skills are not skills which require tools, so they wouldn't count.

Guns and Swords aren't tools ?

Tholomyes
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Tholomyes » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Not based on the M&M definition of tools, no. Based on what in the book requires tools, the only skills that fit the bill are Technology, Trearment, Investigation (and then, only half of it), and based on Mecha & Manga's precedent Vehicles. I suppose some Expertise skills could also require tools for some uses, but that's more a GM's decision than RAW.

Return to “DC Adventures”