AFFLICTION Power Level Limit ?

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
CENTINULL
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

AFFLICTION Power Level Limit ?

Postby CENTINULL » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:04 am

Most attacks and defenses in the game have a trade off to balance them. Does Affliction have a trade off, or is it capped entirely by the Power Level ?

While I love the 3rd Edition rules, I have a hard time finding information due to the layout.

Laughingcrow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: AFFLICTION Power Level Limit ?

Postby Laughingcrow » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:23 am

Most abilities fall under the PL limit, including Affliciton. This means that your Attack modifier + Effect rank cannot exceed PLx2, or if it's a Perception range effect (requiring no attack roll) it has an Effect Rank limited to PL.

Note that this limit does not apply to powers that indirectly are limited (like Growth, which is by itself not PL limited, but you can't buy so many ranks of it that the bonuses you get exceed PL) or if it's a container-power (like Variable). But whenever you can expect to make a roll, check or have it resisted, it's going to be limited by PL.

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby pawsplay » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Affliction is an effect, and so is capped by the same tradeoff is Damage. Perception and area effects, anything without a to-hit roll, is capped at PL.
Kickstarter: Tripod Machine presents Do Not Approach (Super-powered by M&M)
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:47 pm

CENTINULL wrote:Most attacks and defenses in the game have a trade off to balance them. Does Affliction have a trade off, or is it capped entirely by the Power Level ?

While I love the 3rd Edition rules, I have a hard time finding information due to the layout.
Indeed. You are probably just looking at the section titled "Trade Offs". Don't look there; look to the earlier section on "Power Level" for the full list of what can be traded off. ( :roll: I know, right. )

The Power Level section is on Page 24-25 of the Heroes Handbook. In the five bullet points following "Power level imposes the following limits:", there is "Attack and Effect". It is not just Damage; that is just one "for example" of such trade-offs.
Attack & Effect wrote:The total of your hero’s attack bonus and effect rank with that attack cannot exceed twice the series power level. If an effect allows a resistance check, but does not require an attack check, its effect rank cannot exceed the series power level.

CENTINULL
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby CENTINULL » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Thanks guys.

I new I had read it at one point or another, but when I wanted to confirm what I recalled, I just couldn't find it.

Return to “DC Adventures”