extended hearing query

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
PhantomZone
Bystander
Bystander

extended hearing query

Postby PhantomZone » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:43 pm

I have a question about extended hearing in the book it states that for each rank you have. The range is increased by a factor of 10. Now by 10 does that mean a distance of 10 ranks or is that just wording?

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: extended hearing query

Postby Arthur Eld » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:38 pm

A character's range with a sense, in this case, is the distance used to determine penalties to your Perception check.

Normally hearing (and vision) suffer -1 to Perception checks per 10 feet of distance. Extended multiples that by 10, so someone with Extended Hearing (like Superman) only suffers a -1 penalty to his Perception checks for every 100 feet of distance.

HappyDaze
Luminary
Luminary

Postby HappyDaze » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:A character's range with a sense, in this case, is the distance used to determine penalties to your Perception check.

Normally hearing (and vision) suffer -1 to Perception checks per 10 feet of distance. Extended multiples that by 10, so someone with Extended Hearing (like Superman) only suffers a -1 penalty to his Perception checks for every 100 feet of distance.

Note that the RAW use of -1 per 10 feet makes certain things we take for granted IRL almost impossible to succeed at in the game. For example, at the beginning of a soccer match when the referee commonly calls to the goalies for readiness before the whistle is blown. At a distance of about 40 yards/120 feet we'd have -12 to the checks. Assuming that they start at DC 0, and with a generous +5 for Perception, we now need to get a 7 on the die for the goalie to hear the ref and for the ref to even see the goalie. That's a 30% chance of failure. It get's worse when you have a guy trying to fire a rifle at a target 200 yards out. This is well within reason IRL, but in the game the chance of even being able to see the target with that hefty -60 is almost zero.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:23 am

Circumstance modifiers come into play here as well. The goalie is not in combat, knows what to expect, has the benefit of other cues, etc. This is also a clear case for a routine check, if a perception check is necessary at all--which I only call for if there's a case that failure has a bearing on the outcome.

It's been argued that vision should (by default) be -1/100, and since the senses already vary in terms of what their default sense-adders are (acute, radius, etc.), it would be easy enough to house rule whatever you feel appropriate.

Stigger
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Stigger » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:33 am

I always figured the penalties only came into play when you're trying to discern fine details about something, as in examining it. As to something like a ref blowing a whistle, or shouting, they're doing their best to be obvious about it, so circumstance bonus to anyone within earshot, at least if person hearing it is on the pitch. Up in the stands, it gets more iffy, what with all those people yelling and shouting.

Shooting though, it kinda depends on what you're trying to do. Just hitting a target at 200 yards, sure, can be done, but you aren't going to need a perception check if you've got line of sight on it and its a decent size target as long as you take the time to aim, at least if it's an obvious target that isn't all that concealed or indistinct against its background. Anything more specific than just hitting it in general though, is going to require a scope, enhanced vision, or a whole lot of luck.

PhantomZone
Bystander
Bystander

Postby PhantomZone » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:21 pm

Ok i thought not the book clearly states that -1 to perception per 10 feet. I merely asked because Superman often hears things well beyond his perception range in the game. People crying out for help across the city or even crying out on the other side of the country or globe. I noted that it would be an impossiblity for him to do that in the game with the -1 per 1000 feet of his extended hearing 3.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Extended 3 would yield a -1/10000 ft.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:23 pm

PhantomZone wrote:Ok i thought not the book clearly states that -1 to perception per 10 feet. I merely asked because Superman often hears things well beyond his perception range in the game. People crying out for help across the city or even crying out on the other side of the country or globe. I noted that it would be an impossiblity for him to do that in the game with the -1 per 1000 feet of his extended hearing 3.

Assuming that someone shouting for help is a DC 0 check, and we assume perception is generally a routine check, Superman gets a routine check result of 20. His extended hearing gives him -1 roughly every 2 miles. That means he can generally hear any shout for help in a 40 mile radius of him. That's well within the range of a city, even a hugely spread out city like Los Angeles.

If you're looking for a more silver aged take on Superman just give him a few extra ranks of extended. 3 more ranks would give him the ability to hear any shout for help on the planet: 3=40 mile radius, 4=400 mile radius, 5=4,000 mile radius, 6=40,000 mile radius.

Return to “DC Adventures”