Teleport power build help

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Dragonblade
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Teleport power build help

Postby Dragonblade » Fri May 24, 2013 6:42 am

kenseido wrote:The actual power limits to to 2ep worth of Equipment, so it keeps it pretty reasonable.

Ok, I'll have to check that out. Also, revisiting my power, I think the cost I have is right for one rank, but being able to ranged disarm is potentially powerful. I'd make that a 1/r extra and give the quirk a full -1. So additional ranks to summon bigger things and/or have a potentially greater disarm effect rank would cost 4 per rank instead of 3.

Batmanintraining
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Batmanintraining » Fri May 24, 2013 6:42 am

5 seems like a lot. Especially when I'd be better off at that point to not even have the limitation of needing to have touched it. Create with all those extras is more versatile(minus the disarm potential).

Dragonblade
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Dragonblade » Fri May 24, 2013 6:57 am

Batmanintraining wrote:5 seems like a lot. Especially when I'd be better off at that point to not even have the limitation of needing to have touched it. Create with all those extras is more versatile(minus the disarm potential).

Sure. It would still cost 5, but additional ranks would be 3/rank instead of 4. Considering ranged damage 10 costs 20 points, its not expensive for the versatility. Being able to create virtually any small object you can think of? That's pretty handy. Also, any power that can be used to affect another character, whether its damaging them, or hindering them in some way, is going to shoot up in cost quickly.

I would focus more on building to your concept rather than trying to maximize character efficiency based on rules and point costs. I have seen it lead to weird unbalanced characters that do things they shouldn't, and can't do things they should because they were built to maximize a cost to benefit ratio based on the rules instead of to match a concept. Coming from years D&D where I felt the need to analyze every feat and spell for maximum exploitability, I still struggle to intentionally not try to wring every last ounce of effectiveness out a particular M&M build since the tendency to optimize a PC is so ingrained.

Batmanintraining
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Batmanintraining » Fri May 24, 2013 7:12 am

Sort of like how I'm trying to build an attack/utility power and you're building a disarm power?

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doresh » Fri May 24, 2013 7:55 am

Here's a cheap alternative:

Teleport (Perception Range Attack, Increased Mass X; Limited to objects, Limited to being teleported near the user, Limited to Touch Memory Sense)

Cost: 1/rank + X

Touch Memory: Sense 4 (Detect Touched objects, Accurate, Extended)

Something like that. The Touch Memory allows you to know the location of an object you've touched, and the Teleport only works with this special sense. I sure hope this is okay :mrgreen:

Dragonblade
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Dragonblade » Fri May 24, 2013 8:18 am

Doresh wrote:Here's a cheap alternative:

Teleport (Perception Range Attack, Increased Mass X; Limited to objects, Limited to being teleported near the user, Limited to Touch Memory Sense)

Cost: 1/rank + X

Touch Memory: Sense 4 (Detect Touched objects, Accurate, Extended)

Something like that. The Touch Memory allows you to know the location of an object you've touched, and the Teleport only works with this special sense. I sure hope this is okay :mrgreen:

Thats a very good way to model it.

But I think its slightly undercosted by reading up on the modifiers. Base Teleport is 2/r, reversing it from Teleport away to Teleport to you would be a net +0. Limited to objects which would be a +0 (based on reading Affects Objects and Affects Others modifier). Increase to Perception range is +1/r, but that would be offset by the Limited to Touch Memory Sense for -1/r.

So I'd make it base 2/r + Increased Mass X. And then of course 4 pp for the Touch Memory Senses 4.

Batmanintraining
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Batmanintraining » Fri May 24, 2013 9:21 am

I don't have the book or PDF with me, but what are the rules of making the touch sense a linked power to the teleport?

This is sounding more like what I was going for.

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doresh » Fri May 24, 2013 9:38 am

Linked would mean that you can only use both powers at the same time, which wouldn't really work as you described. Not that this would make sense with a Sense effect.

@Dragonblade:

Right, that sounds more reasonable.

Return to “DC Adventures”