Red Hood design question

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Prof.Dogg
Groupie
Groupie

Red Hood design question

Postby Prof.Dogg » Sun May 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Why would Jason Todd's helmet and knife be considered devices rather than equipment? They're fairly mundane (albeit specialized, maybe equivalent to military tech). He could easily lose them and then later replace them. Anything in the comics to give them some more unique quality?
Saving the world one NPC at a time...

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Red Hood design question

Postby Greyman » Sun May 05, 2013 9:28 pm

If something has powers beyond the ken of ordinary equipment, it needs to be a Device. However, that isn't the only reason to make something a Device instead of ordinary gear.

While they are signature items, Batman and the Robins can cope with their utility belts failing off and on, but Jason's hood is far more central to the character concept. Thus while it can be easily removed, jammed, or whatever, during the fray; it would be a Complication for it to be unrecoverable after the fracas is done. Maybe it's got extra rugged construction, or he's just lucky not to loose it long, but the meta:game reason is the player payed for that insurance. Because she wanted to.

Prof.Dogg
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Prof.Dogg » Mon May 06, 2013 4:35 am

I can see Indiana Jones' hat and whip falling into that category easily... But I just don't see that with this one. Jason Todd seems to always having that helmet smashed in (when he wears it at all) and having to go back later and replace it. And I almost never see him use the knife in the comics. I wouldn't blink twice if the guns were the device and the blade the equipment. I just don't know of anything in particular in the series (old or <shudder> new) that lends itself to him. The Joker is always the Joker, even without his trick bag. Todd is the Red Hood, even without the actual hood.
Saving the world one NPC at a time...

crashmurdoch
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby crashmurdoch » Fri May 17, 2013 2:55 pm

As the Red Hood Jason wears armor, so the helmet & Armor could be a device with removable and/or easily lost added.

You can make Jason's "weapon belt" the same way that Batman's utility belt is made (which is a DEVICE according to DC heroes and villains). Just use the pool points to buy the stuff he uses in the comics; guns, knives, etc.

Remember if you lose a Device in game, you get a Hero Point and it is replaced....eventually.

RuleofThree
Hireling
Hireling

Postby RuleofThree » Sat May 18, 2013 3:52 pm

No, you don't... the price reduction of Devices is precisely so that if there is an in-game reason why you lost it (easily removable stuff being disarmed; removable stuff stripped from you when you are helpless), you DON'T get a Hero Point.

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Sat May 18, 2013 3:56 pm

The easiest solution, of course, is that Jason Todd was killed, and should have stayed that way.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Stigger
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Stigger » Sat May 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Truly... can't say he's anyone I've ever used, nor do I have any plans to. Same with Huntress too though, unless it's Helena Wayne.

crashmurdoch
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby crashmurdoch » Sun May 19, 2013 6:17 pm

The new Huntress can't be compared to Jason Todd. Jason is a character that should have NEVER been brought back (The same can be said for Bucky). Next thing up: Uncle Ben returns! :roll:

Helena Bertinelli (The Modern age Huntress) is a separate character, a legacy if you will, of the original Huntress. A new character, updated costume, and no ties to the original, not a tired character that the fans voted to have bumped off.

Stigger
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Stigger » Sun May 19, 2013 8:31 pm

I wasn't actually trying to compare the two, I was just saying she's another character I don't like, nor have any use for. :P

She's not as bad as Spoiler, but still pretty bad. Now there was another one that should have stayed dead, while we're on the subject...

Goldar
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Goldar » Mon May 20, 2013 8:28 am

crashmurdoch wrote: Next thing up: Uncle Ben returns! :roll:

Uncle Ben? Oh, he's been back for years. He is in San Francisco making rice! :lol:

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doresh » Thu May 23, 2013 8:31 am

@Goldar:

There's nothing a deal with the devil can't fix :wink: !

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:37 pm

DCA books are full of head scratches. Warlord for example has a +4 damage sword? Is it magical? Is it atlanean hi-tech? it doesn't really say. It looks like a bastard or long sword.

It would be nice to know what was the reasoning behind an oddity of the character design.

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doresh » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:14 am

Wouldn't surprise me if this sword was magic or made out of adamantium or something. I'm actually more confused that most high-tech / magical swords rarely go above +3 (probably because the user already has high strength, but it's still a bit weird).

Well, at least those write-ups keep your attention :mrgreen:

Return to “DC Adventures”