Justice League: New World Order Adventure

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
mykesfree
Bystander
Bystander

Justice League: New World Order Adventure

Postby mykesfree » Fri May 03, 2013 11:10 am

I am looking to run Justice League: New World Order as an Adventure. All my player have never read the story before.

The Adventure outline I have so far is:
The Hyperclan arrives as a new superhero team from Space
The Hyperclan creates miracles through out the world and gain in popularity
The Hyperclan executes some minor Villains and gain more public support
The Hyperclan sets up 3 bases. 1 in the Arctic, 1 in the Gobi Desert, and 1 Pacific Ocean ( in the comics this when the JLA decides to attack)
The Hyperclan releases and invasion force of 70 Superhumans on Earth.

Are there any pitfalls from the story that I should be on the look out for as I convert to an Adventure? Like how should I handle Superman's heat vision if a player uses it right away?

Thank you for your help and input.

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: Justice League: New World Order Adventure

Postby Mr Mole » Fri May 03, 2013 1:30 pm

mykesfree wrote:Like how should I handle Superman's heat vision if a player uses it right away?

I'm assuming you're using the Hyperclan as presented in the DC Adventures Universe book, so you're question would be about the story and not about the mechanics.

Personally, I'd just run with it. Superman's heat vision does more damage than usual and the player can do the math and figure out why the Hyperlcan supers seem to share this particular vulnerability.

On the bright side, Superman doesn't tend to go into a fight blasting opponents directly with his heat vision. He usually blasts inanimate objects or opponents who've shown they can take a blast without being mutilated or dying... Or unless he wants to mutilate or kill, but that's pretty unusual.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Fri May 03, 2013 2:44 pm

I would say to establish your Hyperclan right away. Whether you go with their forms or not, you'll want to have their power sets in mind before your player starts attacking.

What I mean is, take Zum for instance. If he starts hurling cars, the players should reall:y raise eyebrows. Describe the beating he takes as rolling witty the punches... after all, the 'clan are all Martian Man hunter equivalents...

mykesfree
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mykesfree » Fri May 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Thank you for your feedback.

Concerning Superman's heat vision, in the actual story creates fire and takes the fight out the Hyperclan. I was thinking until the JLA figure out what the Hyperclan are, Superman's heat vision will deal normal damage. Once the JLA and Superman figure it out Superman's character will be able to apply the flame part of his heat vision.

Also I was thinking about the Hyperclan using a "krytonite " rock earlier in the adventure than what is presented in the story. This way it drops a hint that something is strange as Superman's player would be resisting a mental attack. I am thinking that my players will not be expecting the mental control angle.

Any other tips or trick on converting this comics story?

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Fri May 03, 2013 5:04 pm

mykesfree wrote:Are there any pitfalls from the story that I should be on the look out for as I convert to an Adventure?

Other then some one saying "oh i remember this story"?

Nope.... Not really.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Fri May 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Except... they never read it.' :D

mykesfree
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mykesfree » Fri May 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Oh I am prepared for "Oh I remember this story." It all comes down to when the player remembers the story in the invasion time line. Even if someone remembers it right away, I would be looking for the Hyperclan to put some mental blocks on players using flames or fire powers. I may place a device in one of the reclaimed alien cities that generates a global mental block on using flames for the PCs to destroy, thus turning the tables on the Hyperclan.

Besides the fire weakness angle, there is almost no difference between, "I remember this story" and the PCs immediately thinking the Hyperclan are villains and attacking them when they arrive from the Ghost Zone. As long as the PCs are fighting 7 or more Martian Manhunters it should be a fun time when ever it happens.

Any other thoughts?

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Fri May 03, 2013 6:45 pm

Dunno if you considered... make new identities for your Hyperclan...

mykesfree
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mykesfree » Fri May 03, 2013 8:29 pm

Yeah I have considered it.

Thanks for the input.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Fri May 03, 2013 10:19 pm

Bladewind wrote:Except... they never read it.' :D

They don't remember having read it... As a library student & librarian i've learnt that the hard way: Not remembering having read something & not having read it are not the same thing.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

crashmurdoch
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby crashmurdoch » Thu May 09, 2013 11:55 pm

If you are worried about the players picking up on the storyline, the Starbreed from the Threat Reports is a very similar team of villains disguised as heroes, and unless your players have the Threat Reports it will be much harder for them to guess who they are and what they are up to.

Return to “DC Adventures”