Future Justice Leagues

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
kingk
Cohort
Cohort

Future Justice Leagues

Postby kingk » Wed May 01, 2013 7:23 pm

So recently I've been thinking about what the Justice League would like if DC actually allowed characters to age.

Assuming the first Justice League was:

-Superman [Clark Kent]
-Batman [Bruce Wayne]
-Wonder Woman [Diana Prince]
-The Flash [Barry Allen]
-Green Lantern [Hal Jordan]
-Aquaman [Arthur Curry]
-Martian Manhunter [J'onn J'onzz]

I've been thinking what comes next. For example, when several of the early Teen Titans and other heroes grow up you get a team like:

-Batman [Dick Grayson]
-Wonder Woman [Donna Troy]
-The Flash [Wally West]
-Aquaman/Tempest [Garth]
-Red Arrow [Roy Harper]
-And maybe Superwoman [Kara Zor-El] and Green Lantern [Kyle Rayner/Jon Stewart?]

Then Young Justice and that period's Teen Titans grow up, and you get:

-Superman [Connor Kent]
-Batman [Tim Drake]
-Wonder Woman [Cassie Sandsmark]
-The Flash [Bart Allen]
-Martian Manhunter/Miss Martian [M'gann M'orzz]
-Aquaman [Kaldur'ahm]

And even further into the future you could get a team with:

-Superman [Chris Kent (Lor-Zod]
-Batman [Damian Wayne]
-And maybe an adult Blue Beetle [Jaime Reyes]. You could even have the more recently introduced Green Lantern (Simon Baz), and a future Flash like Iris West.

Now, this is hardly inclusive of all League members (standbys like Green Arrow, the Hawk Family, the Atom, etc. are left out), and the timeframe is of course a pain to figure out. But any other ideas for the line-ups of future leagues? Particularly including characters/sidekicks who will never get to be Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, etc. because editorial wants to keep the famous guys in the roles, as well as characters who aren't legacies but fit better in a future league than alongside the current "Big Guns?" (Like how I love Cyborg, but I'd rather his Batman teammate be Dick Grayson than Bruce Wayne).

Quistar
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Future Justice Leagues

Postby Quistar » Sun May 19, 2013 12:50 am

kingk wrote:So recently I've been thinking about what the Justice League would like if DC actually allowed characters to age.

You have to find John Byrne's Generations miniseries, which I believe were bound into trade paperback editions. The first one takes this exact premise and starts in 1939, advancing each chapter 10 years until 1999, and ages the heroes as they go. When new ones show up in continuity, they start aging from that point on. By 1999, the DCGU is VERY different than the one we are (or were) used to.

The second series looks at in-between stories paralleling the original series, focusing more on lesser characters, but is much the same otherwise except for a broader focus.

Each miniseries was published under the Everworlds imprint. Generations 3 had a tighter plot involving Darkseid and time travel, but won't serve to answer your question as well as the first two series.

- Andrew <:-(}

kingk
Cohort
Cohort

Postby kingk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Just wanted to say that I actually did pick up the first Generations paperback at my local library, and in addition to being good fun, it was really helpful. Thanks!

TheManagement
Henchman
Henchman

Postby TheManagement » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:16 am

I'm GMing a game in future DC where all of the characters are either legacy characters or fit the archtype of the original JLers. It's a lot of fun because it is set far enough in the future that I don't really have to stick to any real continuity or time frame.
Thank you,
TheManagement

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:25 pm

I am one of those people who needs a side project to work on when I get bored. At first it was the timeline that I made chronologically placing every event from the first few years of the Ultimates line. I expanded this into the sourcebook and still contribute to it semi-regularly.

The reason for this post and my spotty updating of the Ultimate Sourcebook is that I have started a new project. It is the creation of a timeline for the DC Universe in which those heroes without some power to avoid it, age naturally. For instance, the big three were born or created in 1950 (an arbitrary choice, but one that makes sense IMO). The original JSA were born at the turn of the 20th century or in the tens or twenties. (And almost all of them are now dead)

I hope to incorporate, at a minimum, everyone in the Heroes and Villains books. Then I want to run a game in it.

hs5ias
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby hs5ias » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:22 am

How much the Justice League would change would also depend on how much its members age. If Batman had aged in realtime since his introduction in 1938 we would probably need to be on the fourth or fifth wearer of the cowl by now. How much Superman ages is unclear. Sometimes he is immortal, at other times long-lived, and at others he ages at the normal human rate. Wonder Woman is explicitly immortal. Green Lanterns seem to age normally, the ring passing along from bearer to bearer. J'onn J'onzz seems to be functionally immortal, or at least has a truly vast lifespan. Aquaman and other Atlanteans lifespans are unspecified but I get the impression that they are longer, maybe much longer, lived than normal humans. What effect using the Speed Force has on speedsters like the Flash is also unclear. Jay Garrick has had his aging arrested or slowed by it. Time is something that speedsters run back and forth on.

So I would say that if you want to you could easily just largely keep the league's existing roster.

Quistar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Quistar » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:02 am

kingk wrote:Just wanted to say that I actually did pick up the first Generations paperback at my local library, and in addition to being good fun, it was really helpful. Thanks!

You're very welcome!

- Andrew <:-(}

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:16 pm

There is a crossover comic feature batman and captain america. Cap awakes thawed but instead of the avengers it is the Robin he once knew grown up into the new Batman. I like how they have a sense of legacy, but also when appropriate a continuation of the old hero. This batman is in the 1940s.

Return to “DC Adventures”