Knock Back?

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Duke Awesome
Bystander
Bystander

Knock Back?

Postby Duke Awesome » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:02 pm

So I have an enemy or two I am making that could use a knock back affect. One that has a powerful sonic cone attack and one with fists that channel lots of kinetic energy. What is the best way of going about this? I was thinking about using move object but I cannot seem to get it to fit with just being a simple instant toss action.

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Knock Back?

Postby Greyman » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:53 pm

Courtesy of Power Profiles: Strength Powers.

Massive Knockback: Move Object #, Close Range, Limited to Flinging Targets Away, Linked to Strength Damage • 1 point per 2 ranks.

Using the throwing rules (as expanded on in the profile) this effect uses a Standard Action to grab the target at the same time as Strength Damage is applied, then uses a Free Action to throw the target a distance rank equal to the effect rank minus the target's mass rank. Bam! Kapowie!

Just modify range, area, and linkage to suit your power. Thus:

Sonic Knockback: Move Object #, Cone Area, Close Range, Limited to Flinging Targets Away • 1 point per rank.
Perhaps linked to a dazzle affliction or sonic damage effect, if you so wish.

Duke Awesome
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Duke Awesome » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Great! Thank you, that's just want I need!

HappyDaze
Luminary
Luminary

Postby HappyDaze » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:43 am

Wouldn't you need to modify the Move Object to being an Instant effect in these cases?

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:33 pm

HappyDaze wrote:Wouldn't you need to modify the Move Object to being an Instant effect in these cases?
No. Limited to Flinging Away does that since it requires using the throwing maneuver to grasp and release the target.

Necrogamer
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Necrogamer » Sun May 12, 2013 11:33 am

I was thinking that a good way to simulate the comic book genre trope of knock back in general would be to allow a character to spend a hero point to inflict a complication of knocked back on any hit that does damage.

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Sun May 19, 2013 7:01 pm

You could also use the Added Effect or Alternate Effect options for Critical Hits.

Added Effect: Deal normal damage plus a rank 0 knockback -- though this will only push a normal person (rank 2) back six feet (rank -2).

Alternate Effect: Deal slightly less damage linked to Massive Knockback (as above); depending on the normal attack effect cost.
EG: If normal strength damage is rank 12, the critical alternate effect would be a rank 9 damage linked to massive knockback; blowing a normal person back one-half mile.

Stigger
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Stigger » Sun May 19, 2013 8:33 pm

There were optional rules for it in the Gamemaster's Guide for 3e, though I'll be damned if I can recall them offhand.

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Mon May 20, 2013 3:37 am

Stigger wrote:There were optional rules for it in the Gamemaster's Guide for 3e, though I'll be damned if I can recall them offhand.
Basically, it's just an option to reintroduce 2ed Knockback rules modified to suit 3ed ranks and measures.

Targets failing a damage resistance check by two or more degrees are knocked back a distance rank of their toughness rank, minus the damage rank, and minus their growth rank or plus the strength modifier for their shrinking effect. (Eg add +2 for a character with Shrinking 8.)

Return to “DC Adventures”