LOSH in the DC Universe book

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Re: LOSH in the DC Universe book

Postby greycrusader » Sun May 05, 2013 6:38 pm

Foreshadow wrote:Greycrusader, if you were to do Wonder Woman what would you have set her Agility to? A 10 or some other number. Is no one more agility in DCU than Wonder Woman. The way I've seen her portrayed in all media doesn't reflect such a score, iconically she seems agile, and perhaps superhuman but 10? Fine, but no one outclasses her? I've even seen some attempt to slap a 10 Agility on Spider-Man and each time I see Spidey in Action, it is way more agile than the Wonder Woman I see portrayed. I can't see her nimbly and gracefully leaping through falling debris like Spidey, but rather more like Superman, simply flying through with rapid speed. She is agile, but clearly not on par with Spidey, hence those who gave him a 10 are off.

Still, no one warrents an agility higher than 10 in DC Universe?

Harley Quinn has an Intellect of 6. She is portrayed as a ditzy blonde. Sure she might have been a doctor and thus have skill ranks but she doesn't seem iconically portrayed as a brilliant person, like say Oracle is. From the iconic take she seems more appropriate to have 3 or 4, maybe a 5 if you stretched it, but really, 4 seems more than enough and clearly a case where lower ability and more skill ranks in specific areas is a better approach.

I get the book says 'not what you expect' but that seems like a cop out in some cases to hide behind, Sure if its close, but when its clearly off it seems, well, off sort of like when Brainaic had a 13 Intellect and was raised a bit to 15.

So if you did Harley and Wonder Woman what would you give? Please explain in the form of a little blurp like you did with those other characters. I like how you characterize.

any other little tweaks you might have made? If you list them great, but if you can give a little reasoning behind it go for it.

I get that its your 'opinion', but then like in the case of Harley who I see portrayed as a ditzy girl, saying she is a smarter as Peter Parker takes a bit of explaining....what in the wide world of comics gives such a basis for that type of number.

Please understand the official write-ups in the DCAdventure books are just that-they are considered official by Green Ronin. Jon L chose writers he felt capable of handling the characters, and DC editors signed off on their interpretations, including my own entries in the books.

That being said, obviously everyone is free to change the various DCU heroes and villains to suit their own campaigns; many of the characters have been around for years or decades, and have undergone numerous revisions, reboots, or in-universe transformations, so there is plenty of justification for tweaking the stats to represent slightly different versions, as stated in the rule books themselves.

The Silver Age/Bronze Age Wonder Woman was definitely a supreme all-around athlete, even discounting her super-strength and speed. She often performed incredible feats of acrobatic and combat gymnastics, and often combined incredible agility with her super-speed. However, in the last twenty years or so, Diana has often been more of a straight-forward fighter. So one could lower her Agility trait (and Dodge score), while upping her Toughness or giving her a few ranks of Impervious Protection to represent WW's durability, giving her a measure of resistance not dependent on her Amazonian bracelets.

Harley Quinn's Int score is probably based more on her mainstream DCU appearances, which I admit I am not terribly familiar enamored with in total, aside from her own short-lived series. I much prefer the DCAU version, along with the animated series comics tie-ins. In those, Ms. Quinzeel was generally portrayed as a manic, slightly simpering goofball, but almost charming despite her irrationality. Her background is established as either a psychiatrist or Ph.D candidate psychologist, much smarter than her usual persona indicates, though some tales of her origin imply Harley seduced and cheated to secure her academic credentials. Still, even in the DCAU Harley sometimes musters considerable intelligence and willpower against Batman, Batgirl, Mr. J (when he pushers her too far) or whomever is her target of the moment.

If I was doing the version I am most comfortable writing up, I might lower her Int to 4 while boosting her Pre attribute a couple points, and giving her extra ranks in Deception and/or Persuasion; I might give her an enhanced advantage or two, such as Favored Enemy: Bat-Family members, and Second Chance (Deception, representing talent in tricking others) but both would be Unreliable and Limited to situations when Harley has some overriding motivation.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

BCDX97
Bystander
Bystander

Postby BCDX97 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:21 pm

Int seems to be the one attribute that is trickiest to figure out.

For instance, Sinestro has an INT of 1, and I always figured he was way craftier than that. Other write-ups have INTs way higher that I didn't agree with. Naybe Sinestro is more of a real jerk than a evil planner - but I still think he's smarter than a 1.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Tue May 21, 2013 8:42 pm

A few more thoughts on the LSHers who were missing from the book:

Atmos is a PL 12 paragon/original archetype, with enhanced strength, stamina, flight, space flight, immunity (radiation, vacuum/pressure, maybe others), and an array which includes energy blasts, force fields (create object), and an EMP wave (transmutation-burns out electronic equipment); he wasn't invulnerable per se, so no Impervious Protection. Atmos also had enhanced PRE and an enhanced Persuasion skill, both with the subtle modifier (mental powers which didn't register as mental powers). He was also an overconfident and egotistical jerk, and was vulnerable to radiation-dampening materials.

Matter-Eater-Lad: Tenzil Kim is actually tricky to represent because his power was specialized but really potent in its' particular niche-he could eat materials which Mon-El or Ultra Boy couldn't break, for goodness sake. This was later explained as Bismolians actually being able to disintegrate any matter placed inside their bodies. So in game terms, I say an Energy Blast (no range) linked to Weaken (toughness), and Immunity (gain sustenance from any substance, no ill effects from ingested objects). Some Silver and earl Bronze Age stories indicated minor invulnerability because of denser bones/soft tissues.

Jenni Ognats/XS is just a standard speedster archetype, and unlike the Flash (her grandfather) I don't think she ever exhibited vibratory powers. Kid Psycho is a telekinetic with the powers of Flight, Move Object, Force Blast (ranged attack), Force Fields (Create Object) and maybe others; his Complication is using his powers shortens Kid Psycho's lifespan, so in game terms this would likely be a reduction in Sta after using his abilities, or a side-effect on the powers themselves.

Light Lass is another odd power-set (as Lightning Lass, Ayla Ranzz is basically the same as ber brother, Lightning Lad) to write-up; her anti-gravity is probably best represented as an array with very specialized effects. Her basic attack would be Neutralize Gravity Attack (Move Object [only to lift upward, continuous]), Mass Neutralize Gravity (same as above, selective area effect), Deflection (all ranged physical attacks), and Impart Antigravity (Tranformation, affected target is repelled upward from largest gravitational body, ie, the planet).

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:00 pm

Here's my build of Lightning/Light Lass. I haven't gotten to the others just yet, so that'll be a bit :).

LIGHTNING LASS (Ayla Ranzz, aka Light Lass, Spark, Gossamer, Live Wire)
Created By:
Edmond Hamilton & John Forte
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #308 (May 1963)
Home Planet: Winath
Origin of Powers: Fought a Lightning Monster (new powers bestowed by technology)
Eras: All of them
Relationships: Timber Wolf, Shrinking Violet, Chameleon Boy (post-Zero Hour), Ultra Boy & Sun Boy (Threeboot)
Role: Kid Sister, Party Girl
PL 9 (113)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Space Hero) 2 (+3)
Perception 3 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Lightning/Gravity) 2 (+9)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Defensive Roll, Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Lightning Powers"
Electrical Aura 6 (24) -- [29]
    AE: "Lightning Bolt" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (18)
    AE: Lightning Blast 9 (Feats: Split) (19)
    AE: Dazzle Visuals 8 (16)
    AE: "Drain Electricity" Affliction 8 (Tech Skill of Creator; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Machines) (8)
    AE: "Stun Bolt" Affliction 9 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (18)
Immunity 10 (Electrical Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"
"Telepathic Ear Plug" Comprehend 3 (Languages) (6)

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Vacuum, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (7)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
Communication 5 (Flaws: Fifth Rank is only towards Legionnaires) (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Lightning Bolt +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Lightning Blast +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Electrical Aura +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Drain Electricity/Stun Bolt +9 (+9 Ranged Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Garth Ranzz)- Lightning Lass is Garth's twin sister, and he is a bit protective at times. For her part, she can be a trifle annoying, acting more like a younger kid sister. She is also close with his wife Imra, and their four children.
Enemy (Mekt Ranzz)- The super-villain Lightning Lord is Ayla's older brother.
Relationship (Timber Wolf)- The bad boy of the Legion if Ayla's chosen, and his moodiness often gets to her.
Reputation (Party Girl & Bimbo)- Ayla has had a lot of "partners" over the years, and shows responsibility only occasionally.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 34 / Defenses: 17 (113)

-Lightning Lass started out as a temporary replacement for her brother (getting her powers from the same place Garth and their evil brother Lightning Lord did- in a story that kept getting repeated with more siblings), and ended up getting her "Light Lass" powers when he returned, so as not to be redundant (and avoid issues around the 'no two members with the same power' thing). She's pretty spent the entirety of her heroic career in Garth's shadow anyways, unable to really break out (she & Alex Summers would really get along). This kinda freed her up to do more minor things, being the team's happiest member, and hook up with whoever the writers felt like having her hump that week, and by Threeboot continuity, she'd pretty much settled into her role as team Party Girl.

-A PL 9, under-pointed variant of Lightning Lad, ol' Lightning/Light Lass is fairly limited as a minor Blaster, not making full points at all.

---

LIGHT LASS (Ayla Ranzz, aka Lightning Lass, Spark, Gossamer, Live Wire)
Created By:
Edmond Hamilton & John Forte
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #308 (May 1963)
Home Planet: Winath
Origin of Powers: Fought a Lightning Monster (new powers bestowed by technology)
Eras: All of them
Relationships: Timber Wolf, Shrinking Violet, Chameleon Boy (post-Zero Hour), Ultra Boy & Sun Boy (Threeboot)
Role: Kid Sister, Party Girl
PL 9 (123)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Space Hero) 2 (+3)
Perception 3 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Lightning/Gravity) 2 (+9)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Defensive Roll, Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Lower Gravity"
"Low Gravity" Affliction 8 (Strength; Impaired & Vulnerable/Defenseless & Immobile) (Extras: Extra Condition, Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Selective) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) Linked to Move Object 5 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Selective) (Flaws: Limited to Upwards) (39) -- [43]
    AE: "Focused Gravity" Affliction 8 (Strength; Impaired & Vulnerable/Defenseless & Immobile) (Extras: Extra Condition, Ranged) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) Linked to Move Object 5 (Extras: Ranged, Limited to Upwards) (15.5)
    AE: "Low-Grav Objects" Move Object 9 (18)
    AE: "Low-Grav on Shooting Attempts" Deflect 10 (Flaws: Limited to Thrown Objects & Ballistics) (5)
    AE: Environment 4 (Impede Movement 2) (8)
Immunity 1 (High & Low Gravity) [1]

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"
"Telepathic Ear Plug" Comprehend 3 (Languages) (6)

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Vacuum, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (7)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
Communication 5 (Flaws: Fifth Rank is only towards Legionnaires) (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Lightning Bolt +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Lightning Blast +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Electrical Aura +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Drain Electricity/Stun Bolt +9 (+9 Ranged Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Garth Ranzz)- Lightning Lass is Garth's twin sister, and he is a bit protective at times. For her part, she can be a trifle annoying, acting more like a younger kid sister. She is also close with his wife Imra, and their four children.
Enemy (Mekt Ranzz)- The super-villain Lightning Lord is Ayla's older brother.
Relationship (Timber Wolf)- The bad boy of the Legion if Ayla's chosen, and his moodiness often gets to her.
Reputation (Party Girl & Bimbo)- Ayla has had a lot of "partners" over the years, and shows responsibility only occasionally.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 44 / Defenses: 17 (123)

-As Light Lass, Ayla becomes a bit more expensive and a better team-player, though her offensive capabilities take a bit of nose dive since very few of her powers can cause pain (dropping her Move Object on someone can hurt them, once they hit the ground). Not exactly intimidating though, especially since her costume now has a FEATHER as a chest-emblem.

Return to “DC Adventures”